Masters Running

The last race report weekend for 2017 (Read 21 times)

Mariposai

Wishing all the RA racers a fun experience as you say good-bye to the 2017!

We have only tetsujin in the Intrepid thread.

12/31 tetsujin - Green Lake Diva Marathon Walk (Japanese wooden geta)

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

I racewalked the Hangover Classic 5K near the ocean in Salisbury, MA (just south of the NH border). Fashion report: black mid-weight tights with black lightweight nylon pants to break the wind, a couple of shirts and a subtle purple Illuminight jacket, blue knit cap, and liner gloves under 'windstopper' mittens, plus my yellow Topo ST2s. There was a smaller field of racers than in past (more moderate) years, and most everybody looked for places to hide from the wind before the start. I went into the open bar that supports the race, and that had heat and a bathroom. At the 11:30 start, it was 7° and sunny, but also with a wicked wind blasting it's way across the open salt marsh just west of the small beach commercial area where the race started/finished. My first mile was good at 10:22. #2 sucked because my right shoe, which was double-knotted, came untied. So I had to take off the mittens, take off the gloves, re-double-knot the shoe, start walking again, go back and get the mitten I dropped, get my hands covered again, and get back on my way - 10:48. #3 had a lot of headwind, which I ignored as best I could - 10:26. 10:17 for the last 10th or so for a 10:32 average. There was no walking division, so the race was only for fun. After I finished, I just kept going to the car and drove back home for my hot shower reward. All-in-all, it was a good start to the new year.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

evanflein

Jay, that's still a helluva fast mile #2 for all that went on there. Nice start to the new year!

Dave59

New Year's Day 5k - Huntington WV

Ran at a brisk pace but not an all out effort. It was between 7° and 10° at the time of the race. Only a little breeze, but it made a big difference whether you facing the wind or had your back to it.

No results posted yet so I don't know my place.  They awarded top 5 men and top 5 women. No age groups.  

They had a raffle for a bunch of odds & ends. They must have called 20-30 bib numbers. Of course, mine was not one of them.  I never get picked for a raffle prize. But the race came with a pretty nice blue hoodie so that was more than enough.

Garmin: 28:03 - 8:55, 9:06, 8:58, 1:03 (3.12 miles).

mrrun

Congrats Jay and Dave for getting out there and having good races!  Jay - it never even crossed our mind to race yesterday (or jump in the water) - we limited ourselves to walking in Boston and looking at ice sculptures!

marj

evanflein

They had a raffle for a bunch of odds & ends. They must have called 20-30 bib numbers. Of course, mine was not one of them.  I never get picked for a raffle prize. But the race came with a pretty nice blue hoodie so that was more than enough.

Yeah, I used to say that but then hey, you win a nice prize vs just a pair of socks! Good job getting out there and a nice blue hoodie is pretty good swag!

Marathon Maniac #957

Brrr!  I am impressed that you even got out their to race in those temps, Jay and Dave - Well Done to the Tough Guys!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."