Masters Running

40s 50s 60s + On the Run w/e 9/8 (Read 300 times)

jfa

Believe you can and you're halfway there.

Theodore Roosevelt

Well, there goes another summer. Thankfully, we still have another month at least of warm weather, and the best sailing weather of the year coming up.

Nice 18.5 miler last night at 9:41's. Started as a drizzle, but most of it was in pouring rain. I enjoyed it though.

Good week peeps!

Queen of 3rd Place

Thanks for starting us out, Joe. Running in the rain IS enjoyable. I've never exactly figured out why. Maybe for the same reason we used to put on our swimsuits and go play in the rain when we were little.

Leslie - sounds like you've got yourself a decent running partner, but yeah I can see why you'd also want a gal to run with. Especially when your new dye is running as well! Roll eyes

Had a GREAT time at Disney! Best two moments of the race: (1) being in Corral A. I knew Disney was a slow runner's event, but wow! It was a small thrill to be in the same corral with the fast people. (2) having a handsome, fit-looking 33 yo panting along behind me at mile 12 complaining he couldn't catch me! I told him it was my 50th birthday and then started to accelerate..."catch me if you can!". Big grin

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

having a handsome, fit-looking 33 yo panting along behind me at mile 12 complaining he couldn't catch me! I told him it was my 50th birthday and then started to accelerate..."catch me if you can!". Big grin

Way to Chick him, Arla.Big grin  gotta keep the youngsters in line.

Joe--I ove a run in the rain, too.  As long as it's not in the 40's or below, anyway.  Great heat dissapation.

Hi eveyone else.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

. . . . having a handsome, fit-looking 33 yo panting along behind me at mile 12 complaining he couldn't catch me! I told him it was my 50th birthday and then started to accelerate..."catch me if you can!". Big grin

Nice!!! Big grin

I like running in the rain when it's not freezing.

Hi-ya, Stumpy.

Yesterday was core/strength training, and this a.m. was 8 miles with some strides at the end.  Almost ran into a skunk (there are skid marks on the pavement where I came to a screeching halt and started backing up) and found a debit card.  Turned in said card to the bank.  And there you have it!

Shorty scraped and sanded and I scrubbed the really bad spots on the house, getting it ready to paint.  The front is turning into a mess.  Shorty starts scraping/sanding a bubbled area, and the bubble moves or gets bigger.  He's getting frustrated, so we'll see how much he's willing to hassle with it before he says enough's enough.  Problem is, if it's not done correctly now, it's just gonna be a bigger issue in a year or two.  But you guys can be so stubborn sometimes! Wink 

I've found my colors, though: Millington Gold (main color) and Rich Cream (trim).  With a deep brownish purple door, it's gonna look really nice.  I'm excited.  We've needed to do this for about 4-5 years.  Now I just need to work Shorty agreeing to get rid of the ugly brick planter box fronting half the house . . . .

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

I been getting in 20-26 mile weeks since I last posted except last week when we had 2 awesome days hiking in Rocky Mtn National Park including a couple minor summits one 12 er and one 10er with great views.

Hope you have some great sailing left Joe, awesome that once you have that base you can take a week off then bounce right back with big weeks. I have noticed that too, to the extent of my base that is.Nice 18er!

Arla it is wicked fun to trail some attractive youngsters then dust em off. I was pacing Lynda one time (got her a pr on that one) in this 5 k enjoying the view of an attractive 20 something gal until the last 400 meter when Lynda released me. She was pretty shocked to see some fat gray old man go sprinting by her. Happy birthday by the way.

Hiya Stump hope work is letting you get your runs in.

Leslie when you and the hub get your house painted you come do ours, we keep thinking we will get outa grandma's tiny little 1924 farmhouse but it is always next year country round here.

On the subject of Ultras our aquaintance in Estes recently finiched his 3rd  of the rocky mtn slam I think they call it anyway, it had Big Horn, Leadville, Hardrock so far and 2 others to go. He has some extreme digestion issues an associated colon problems, had gotten down to 118 pounds and had a milage base less than mine, then had surgery and has since finished those 3 100 milers. His work schedule and training schedule is not conventional, working one week in KS then living one week in Estes with the fam and doing all his training on his off week.http://www.barefootnutjob.com/2012/05/11/rocky-mountain-slam-and-other-stuff/

Still no rain here and everyday high 90's and low 100's. This is scaring me, I have never seen it quite this bad. Most of our wheat is dryland and we will need a rain to get emergence. A short video if you are interested on our dryland crop rotation systems. We started harvesting some of our poorer irrigated corn today, earliest ever.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="movie" value="https://www.facebook.com/v/1376073041638"></param><embed src="https://www.facebook.com/v/1376073041638" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="1" width="640" height="480"></embed></object>

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hi, Jim - I watched some of that video.  Interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

Between work and home, I've been busier than a one-legged man at a butt kicking contest, so not a whole lot of time to post in here.  Today was 4 recovery miles, followed by about 50 min of core/upper body strength training.  Tomorrow I get the try tempo running again . . . . . y e a . . . (can you sense my incredible enthusiasm?? Roll eyes

It's about 8:15 here, and I'm calling it night.  Should be getting in another hour of transcription, but my butt's whooped and I need to go to bed.  Later, gators ~

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hey Jim. Nice video. Hoping the rain comes for you. That Ultra guy is amazing.

Hi Stumpy. Ready for some football?

Wish Ev and Carol were around. I could say congrats for the Cowboy win last night. Tony Romo was the best player of the game.

Way to dust that kid runner Arla. Not to take away from your speed, but that race was stocked with very slow peeps. I couldn't believe when i saw people walking during the first mile?!

Leslie- good luck with sprucing up your house.

Nice 8.5er last night in very muggy, foggy weather. Today is more intervals. They are painful (in a good way) but I can feel the benefits they bring.

8 miles this a.m. with 3 tempo miles embedded in the middle (8:50, 8:46, 8:46).  Those paces are still too fast for me for a tempo run as I don't think I could hold any of them for 3 solid miles or an hour.  Will get there with practice.

And where are Ev and Carol?  We haven't seen Carol in ages.  If you're lurking, Carol - come back!  We miss you!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - thanks for the video, my colleague here was a crop scientist and used to do research on no-till farming in terms of costs and benefits, so now I get to see what it looks like....and wow what an amazing story about Alan Smith!

Leslie - I always tell myself that tempo runs should feel pretty good, maybe you're pushing it a bit toward the end of the session, so I back off or speed up as necessary. You will find that you naturally speed up at the same perceived level of effort as you keep doing them. Definitely took some practice to get the hang of it, and it definitely pays off!

Joe - Intervals, now *those* are painful, I forgot that Nobby prescribes them. I didn't get to do enough before my motorcycle accident to find out about the benefits. Supposed to be neuromuscular? What are you finding they do for you vs. the out-and-backs or traditional tempo runs? I would like to give them another shot and get to where I don't hate them.

Oh yeah, Disney events are S-L-O-W and very walker-friendly, that's why I was in corral A (vs. at Boston, where I was way, WAAAY back in triple-Z or something). However, this is what makes Disney events great for newbies, you are almost guaranteed not to feel terribly slow!

I've been a bum this week. I need to regroup, I have a marathon Nov. 4 where I'd like to actually do well, and here I am blowing off most of my week. I HATE to get up early to run, and it's just still so darn hot, and I'm making the excuse that I just ran a marathon and a half marathon two weekends in a row. Lame! Someone give me a kick! Undecided

Ex runner

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Hee.

Ex runner

Rest day.  Slept in 'til almost 7:00.  Felt oh so good!  18 tomorrow with Karen, then our church having a concernt/picnic in the park from 3:00 to 6:00.  Should be fun.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Leslie--is that you playing with your bird at work?

I also see that you are a tropical storm at the moment.

After getting back from the airport late and having to sleep downstairs to comfort Max the dog, i decided 5:15 was too early to get up and run.  I felt guilty, but the extra hour felt pretty good, regardless.  have to get a couple in over the weekend.  I don't have a marathon and a half to blame my lack of ambition on. Black eye

Then DW and I head out to San Diego for 5 days and tack on a couple more at the end to visit DD in LA.  I have a training class there and flew enough last year to get a free companion pass on Southwest--this being the first shot at using it.  All the travel really bolloxes up my running, but it does lead to much cheaper personal travel.  I've only had to buy DD one oneway ticket for all the trips between coasts for the last three+ years.

happy Weekend to everyone.  Here's hoping for some rain out your way. Jim.  I'm guessing that none of Isaac made it that far.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I also see that you are a tropical storm at the moment.

My husband would probably say I have many "tropical storm" moments.

The bird - Big grin

Safe and Fun Travels!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Today's run was Terrible, just Terrible.  Was suppose to do 20 max, adjusted my mindset to 18, but managed 15, and that's only because I had to get back to my car.  Ended up walking 90% of the last 3-3.5 miles.  It was just a really bad day.  The whole body felt awful, and my legs are still really achy, like I ran a dang race, so makes me wonder if I'm trying to come down with something.  Will see how I feel after church tomorrow and may just go for a walk or take a total rest day, as opposed to fighting through 10 more trail miles.

Some days it's there, some days it ain't.

Our church's picnic/concert in the park was relaxing.  Pastor Matt ended up having to pull a guy aside who was dancing shirtless in front of, well, God and everyone, and was definitely on some sort of high.  Anybody could come and join us, so with this being Humboldt County, who knows where the dude came from.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance