Masters Running

Swan Lake - With Friends (Read 217 times)

TomD

Well, not having much training I was not expecting much.  It was in the 50's at the start and around 70 at the finish maybe.  This one started at 6:00am and stayed cloudy until about 8:30, then an hour later it was cloudy again.  So it was only bad for that hour.  The courses most challenging miles are between mile 10 and mile 12.  They were not bad.  Overall it was a nice course to run on.  It was mostly in the country on gravel roads. 

There were 3 friends of mine running here with a total of just under 1800 marathons, 631, 601, and 551.  I forgot my camera.  I will try to get a picture at the Patriot Run in September.  I really wanted to get a photo of Alf and divechief too.  It was really great to see them again.  They maybe coming down to my 300th at the Texas Marathon on New Year's Day.

Started out running 8:30 to 8:45 miles for the first 10 miles, 1:27.  The next couple of miles were slower.  I ran with many runners the first 14 miles.  Here you enter the next 10 miles of open gravel roads with zero shade.  I am gradually slowing down.  Mile 15 to Mile 18 go slowly as I am running around 11 minutes.  Just before Mile 18 I start picking it up.  I am starting to feel pretty good again although the sun is beaming down on me.

Then at about half mile from Mile 19, I come upon a young gal that looks as she is struggling.  I find out that she is from Boston and she choose this little marathon in the middle of nowhere for her first marathon.  I stick with her and do my best to pace her.  Mile 19, 3:01, she is having pain in her quads. 

We pass a runner here and there, then another runner would pass us.  I get her going and keep her mind off her leg pain.  Before she knew it we were at Mile 24, 4:02, and coming up to some shade at the Lake.  We are now on pavement with trees to our right, then a little later on both sides.  She starts feeling better and we run a little faster. 

As we near Mile 25 and a hill, but we run the hill.  We are running but not pushing it.  We now are leaving the Lake.  It is now less than .75 of a mile to the finish.  We cannot see anyone in front of us or behind us.  There is the Mile 26 marker.  I tell her, that I am going to open it up to the finish.  As I finish with 4:26 she is not far behind me.  She is so very happy.  She tells her boyfriend about me and lets me know how much better I had made that last 8 miles for her.  I let her know, that I have done it many times in the past.  She has him take a photo of us. 

Then before I know it Arf is finishing.  Divechief came in about 20 minutes later.  We all shower and then go to the post meal.  I introduce them to my friends Jim Simpson and Larry Macon.  Jim has ran all his 631 marathons in the past 11 years and Larry ran 105 or so marathons last year.  Larry just ran #45 for the year.  Six years ago Larry had less marathons than me, but he has a string of six 70+ marathons a year. 

Anyway, I did not do all the good, but I sure had a great time.  There were only 70+ marathoners, but I knew nearly half of them.  Of course I made several new friends too.

Next, I may run in Ashton, ID, on August 22nd.  I still need to try to get some time off.  For the next 10 weeks I hope to do some intense training.  I hope to be in great shape for the Fall.

TomD

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

That was fun, Tom!  Thanks for sharing the Swan Lake marathon with us.  I liked the part about you and the first-timer running the last 8 miles together.  Excellent.  And it's always good to see Arf and Divechief!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Oh my word that's an insane amount of marathons!!!  I want to be like ya'll when I grow up

Seriously, great job, I don't know how you (and your friends) do it.

Thanks for the report ...

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)
        wildchild

Carolyn

Tom, that's so sweet of you to run that first-time marathoner in for her last 8 miles!  I'm sure that made your last 8 miles more fun, too!  You seem to make friends wherever you go.  I love reading your RRs!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

Thanks for the RR Tom. Sometimes having a "great time" isn't pace related.

SteveP

Thanks for another great report, Tom.  It sounds like a good time with arf, dive, and many other friends.  It's neat that you helped the first time gal with her marathon.  Congratulations and keep up the good work.

TomS

coastwalker

Hi Tom,

Greta job at Swan Lake! Running a race for the fun of it can often be well-worth the effort (or lack thereof), as you found out by sharing the early miles with old friends and helping a new friend though the last 8 miles.

Jim and Larry sound like marathon animals, but with #300 coming up, you're pretty amazing too!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

huskydon

Tom,

Great job with the first timer. Always good to meet up with friends, too.   Sounds like a wonderful time.

WOW!!  i cant believe you have run that many marathons!!  you guys are amazing!!  great report!!

i am sure you made a huge impact in that Boston girl's life and she will remember you forever!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Tom - how kind of you to bring that girl in those last 8 miles!  At my first marathon there was a very nice man who ran nearly half the race with me, chatting and helping the miles go by.  I saw him again at the Flying Pig in May and thanked him for helping me along so much on that first time.  I know your help will be equally memorable to that young girl.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice racing, Tom.
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM