Masters Running

Race reports for 9-30 &10-1 (Read 30 times)

Mariposai

Master racers, we are all so proud of you...

Go get them miles...

Then come back and tell us all about it..

10/01 RunnerKSA - Twin Cities Marathon-  Minneapolis, MN

10/01 SubDood - Twin Cities Marathon, Minneapolis, MN

10/01 pfriese - Spirit of Survival Quarter Marathon, Lawton OK

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

mrrun

Ran a half marathon in coastal NH - DD's friend chose it - one of my least favorite and we vowed not to do it again.   Traffic going home was nightmare because of patriots football game and road construction (red sox game was not a problem).

IRC with starting temps in high-40s.  Started with DD and never saw her again.  Saw henrun about 1 mile into his 5k as two races overlapped.  first 9 miles were fine, then the wheels came off.  however, i hadn't trained well, because my good knee kept talking to me after 1.5 hours of running.  finished in 2:30 plus change which was about 20 minutes faster then i expected.  henrun and DD were just before finish line so that was cool.  first in AG - don't know if i won anything besides an ugly medal.

Next week a 5K with DD, GD1, GS, and henrun about 15 miles from this race.  Coastwalker will beat me!

marj

I'll let henrun talk about his race - and the mix-up!

Henrun

I enjoyed the weather and the scenery in today's 5K, but that was about all I enjoyed. My running seems to be getting slower and slower but, at least I finished. When I looked at the awards I was listed as the AG winner at 21 minutes and 11th overall (out of 1735). I haven't run that fast in 40 years! I was probably 3 times as slow. Part of the confusion was the lack of 5K markings (we were running with the half marathoners at the beginning. I  turned a corner and found myself staring at the finish line. I was told I had another lap to run, so I turned back to the route (having lost at least a minute) and finished. I just sent an email to the timer explaining all that. Hope it does get straightened out.

But I am really proud of Marj's run. With her lack of training and pain I didn't think she would do as well as she did.

pfriese

Spirit of Survival Quarter Marathon. 

This was my first race since the end of May after developing PF in late June & taking the summer off from running. I've been building my base mileage back during September and felt the need to race. I didn't feel ready to tackle the half marathon & having never done a quarter marathon, I thought that would be a good race distance to run. Beautiful morning, 59 degrees with no wind & a partly cloudy sky. The course followed an out-and-back course on rolling hills in southwest Oklahoma. I really didn't have a goal other than try to keep it sub 9 min/mile & run negative splits. Quarter marathon had 350 runners with the half about the same.

Result: 55:02 1AG, 17th male, & 31st OA. Pace:8:25/mile

I was pleased with my result. I liked getting 1st in my AG even if there were only 4 of us. I'm ready to sign up for another race.... hmmm, there's a 15 at the end of the month.... that would be a nice incremental increase. Smile

Paul

SubDood

Twin Cities Marathon #7 for me. I really lucked out with the weather. It was raining up until just before the start, and it held off until I finished. For my current fitness, I ran about as well as I could have -- I started slowly, and worked up to a steady pace. It got tough at mile 20, but I managed to stay steady and focused until mile 26. Right hammy cramped hard and I had to just stand there, waiting for it to stop. I could almost see the finish line! Hobbled the last 0.2 miles.

7th AG, 3:05:15, not a PR. But I did finish ahead of a guy who usually beats me.

spacityrunner

I'm ready to sign up for another race....

Paul

Spa City Running Festival...you have a choice of a 5k, 10k or half.  Nov 18th (i think)  Come on over...

Trails Rock!

Mariposai

I have really enjoyed reading the race reports!!! Thanks for taking the time to write your race reports. Please know that you inspire us all.

RA Master runners rock!!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Twin Cities Marathon done!  I ran this race 20 years ago.  Today was raining and 57 degrees just before the start so we got a little wet and I decided to keep my light jacket with me.  The rain let up, but came back briefly at 12 miles and then steadily the whole last 10K.  I never put the jacket back on since it wasn't cold, but it wasn't pleasant.

I started with 45 second walk breaks at every mile.  It's not a flat course, but the hills aren't terrible (except at 20 miles).  I thought the race was too crowded for my liking, but the organizers do a good job.  It's a pretty course, and would have been stunning on a non-rainy day.  I was running around 10;30-10:45 miles past the half marathon point, which would have yielded a BQ, which I didn't care about anyway.  I knew I couldn't keep it up.  I slowed down after about 16 and it wasn't much fun after that.  I made it in 4:46 and was shocked to learn that I was 3rd in the age group.  Last year the times were faster and I would not have placed.  The finish line area was miserable because of the rain and we were all cold.  I got the space blanket and some chocolate milk and made my way out to meet my husband, who I miraculously found in the sea of wet runners in space blankets.  He had been around the ocurrse on a borrowed bike.  We took the light rail (2 trains) back to Candice and Ben's house.

My daughter had a big PR with a 4:09 but went out too fast and didn't make her goal of breaking 4.  She was happy with her time, though. The finisher medals are nice and so are the finisher shirts.

Brooks did this thing where you could win a free pair of their new $150 Levitate shoes if your time from mile 21 to 22 was faster than your average pace up to that point.  That's the toughest mile and has a pretty big hill.  Everyone around me was walking and I was more than willing to buy the stupid shoes!  Some guy in a t-shirt came blowing up the hill pumping his arms.  Hope he got the shoes!

Glad it's over since my pre-race anxiety is beyond ridiculous.   Drinking beer now!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Okay, okay mariposai guilted me into getting a race report in here. I ran the Ridgefield Half Marathon on Sunday. About the 50th (well maybe 6) time I have run it. It is a well run race, in most years. Not a super easy course, but it is still my PR course. (A time I will never see again! ) Things did not start well. I arrived about when I wanted to and went to pick up my race shirt. Way too big! I should have known. They offered men's sizes XS, S, M . . . XS!!? I have never seen a men's XS as an option. When I saw that I should have realized these shirts run really, really big. Stupid me ordered a M, my usual size.  Went back to the car to put the shirt away and pout. Then I stayed there to avoid freezing. What happened to summer? Rotten spinning around the sun thing. A few minutes before the race start I go down and join the mob. I see some of my friends lined up towards the front. They try to talk me into starting with them. I demure and head towards the back. I always start towards the back. I think most people go out way too fast and starting with the slower runners helps me to get on pace early in the race. Off we went. I ran strong for 6 miles. Then my dear old Garmin died. Dead, died, dead. <Taps plays in the background.> Since my Garmin stopped working I have no idea if I was running strong or not after that. Indeed the whole event is now a blank. I can see it, or not see it, on the map in my log. At the end of the race I passed quite a few people. Apparently one guy who recognized me and was determined to pass me back in the last 100 feet. So determined he nearly ran me off the course. Due to his acquisition of bad karma from that, his attempt failed in the end!  Final chip time was 1:41:31. Much faster than I had any right to expect. As usual a tough crowd. That time put me 14/66 in the M50-59 AG.

That hopefully gets me out of the butterfly house.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

an amazing likeness

My race report for Maine Marathon on Sunday, 10/1.

I stood at the intersection of Drinkwater Point Rd and Gilman Rd in Yarmouth, Maine, which is mile 13.5 of the marathon course, and yelled "...follow the cones, left down the hill..." 843 times. I yelled "good morning runners, you're looking great, left side, left side!" 523 times.

It was beautiful race day, starting temp around 40F, coasting up to 55F on a brilliant, calm sunny day. Fashion report, I had on a pair blue Asics wind pants, a bright orange Craft running top, black wool cap, and retired Asics shoes...during the race, I steady reduced this down to a pair of LL Bean hiking shorts and an Outdoor Research UV cap but still got a bit of burn on my face.

One thing I learned...no matter how many cones there are (some) runners and (some) drivers are going to go on the path they planned, regardless.  (The 3rd position runner turned RIGHT !!!!...we stopped him pretty quickly, 25 ft...but still)

The runner in P1 went by with a lead of over 4 minutes by my watch...but reports are he was caught and lost the lead in the last mile. Winner negative split the course by a ton.

Congrats to all the runners who actually ran a race!

* some numbers in this race report might be estimates, except for the gap from runners in P1 - P2.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Tramps

Fun to hear of your racing exploits.  We've got some fast runners here!  Congratulations to all of you.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

I really enjoyed reading this thread!   Well done to all you racers and for Milktruck volunteering!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Milktruck, thanks for volunteering, and thanks for reviving the fashion report!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.