Masters Running

1-30 daily runs for hump day (Read 585 times)

Tramps

Easy 7.6 miles @ 9:00 even in howling wind and balmy 50F temps. Felt fine. Ribs--thanks for the concern. You had me double-checking myself. My 5K PR is a 6:50 pace which (using MacMillan) puts my tempo range at 7:11-7:29. Using my 5K PR gives me a VDOT of 47. Daniels suggests a basic tempo pace of 7:10, adjusted up 13 seconds for the longer run...so 7:23. Either way, I'm right in the ballpark with yesterday's 7:18. The trickier part for me is the uneven course. I know it's not ideal, as tempos should be run on more level terrain. But I aim for steady intensity, not even splits, and make the best of it. BTW, my 5-mile PR is 7:24 pace but that's only because I've only run two 5-mile races--both in July. They're no indicator of anything except how much I hate to run in heat and humidity. Sometimes with marathon training I feel like I'm just endlessly slogging through those easy miles. I'm enjoying not training for a marathon this Spring and being able to play around with speedwork a bit. I've got a 4-mile race in a couple of weeks so it'll be interesting to see if it's doing me any good.

Be safe. Be kind.

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Tramps, it sounds as if you're having a grand old time. I'm adding a sixth running day to my weekly schedule with this morning's 30-minute, 4.5km shuffle in the dark, on black ice, with a black dog. Things can only get better. Heartfelt sympathies to everyone who's dealing with *real* weather. 2000m later tonight at the poooooool.
        Evan, it sounds like you had quite the day yesterday. I hope you get your car fixed soon and it's not terribly bad. Peter, good luck with that ongoing foot problem. Ribs, it's good to hear you got in a couple of short runs. I hope it means you're recovering. Holly, that's great that your TM came through this morning. I've been accused of being stubborn, but if my TM had died today (comparable conditions), I would have scrapped the run. Nice long runs for deez, perch, biketm ( I think you've got the record for the most serious weather deterioration during a run), and Peter. Like many others, including my neighbors roch and derrick and my fellow Michigander, hopeful, I awoke to a nasty day. The temp was about 10, the wind was about 30 mph with gusts over 50, and some reports of "black ice". I didn't feel guilty about heading for the TM without any thought of going outside. I got in 5 miles at 1% and 6.7 mph (8:57 pace). A good day and good runs for all. TomS
          Thanks to all of you who gave advice yesterday, including mc, Aamos. I have been icing the shin and have noticed the swelling and pain has gone down considerably today. I'm not limping like I was yesterday and can jog to the refridgerator and back no problem. I think by Friday I will be able to test out the shin with a short easy run, and if it isn't ready, I'll just sweat it out on the elliptical. At least that machine makes me sweat. Looking over my previous week, I have concluded that this muscle strain (anterior shin) was a result of intensity and not mileage. It was a low mileage week. A secondary factor may have been terrain (hard downhilll running) and biomechanics (overstriding on the TM). The third factor was operator carelessness, that being me. Anytime off from running and I immediately feel like I'm turning into a blimp. Rochrunner, you have my sympathy there. My cravings for sugar skyrocket when I'm not running. Tim - great weird weather run, I had a good visual on that one, as I did on Holly's fun evening. Happy Hump Day

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

CNYrunner – nice run with SkipAZ! If he had YOU huffing and puffing, he must have been flying!
            Not really. I rested up for two days to be ready for her and she did a long tempo run yesterday, so she was tired and I was fresh. Then I slying asked involved questions at the bottom of the hills and let her answer on the way up! Always a treat to run with CNYRunner - she's a delightful lady. Were your ears ringing Holly? We were talking about you! CNY said she is your biggest fan but I said no, SkipAZ is Holly's biggest fan! Smile Enjoy the day friends! Skip
            SteveP

SteveP – thanks for that treadmill doctor link – very helpful.
              Wearing tights is serious business and a responsibility not to be taken lightly.

SteveP

Morning everyone. Nothing yet, but plan to get in 7-8 easy later and rowing post-run. Tricky day here, though -- plenty to work on/deadlines, a sick guinea pig who may need shuffling back from the vet (not looking good for Steve and DD is beside herself today Sad ) and a concert at school where DD has a solo. Fingers crossed the run actually happens. Good workout last night -- first time doing hill repeats in a while. On my coach's schedule for Eugene, though I'm only half following it.... hills were a nice change from tempo. 4 mile warm-up, then 3x3 repeats (slow, medium, fast), 1 mile cool down. I'm still feeling very strong these days. And each day I have pain free running I feel very fortunate. Keep knocking on that wood. Ribs, brrrrr. Stay warm. Great to see you posting and keeping us honest with our pacing. You got me thinking... What race to go off of for tempo runs? Based upon my recent 10k a few weeks, McMillan has my tempo at 7:05-7:24; a 5k in Jan. @ 7:17-7:36 and a half marathon (Dec.) at 7:26-7:45. 7:05s seem awfully fast for a tempo run for me.... or am I just being lazy? I've been aiming closer to mid-7:20s. I'm still training for marathons, too, not 5ks, so I'm thinking a bit toward the slower end is better. Skip! Hiya! I'm so envious of you and CNY getting some running in together. I get my turn soon enough with you. Need to work on a Seattle-bound CNY next. eta: Skip, btb or anyone else have thoughts on my tempo, please say so!
                evanflein

-26 right now... that's without any wind chill (well, we don't have any wind....). Should warm up to about zero or 5 above the next couple of days, but highs of -10 and lows of -35 for this weekend. Rats. Looking tough to get a long run in outside... I'm still feeling pumped up from yesterday's run! I was worried I'd be sore or tired but nope... cool. Since I'm carpooling with DH now (rats) I'll probably go to the gym after work and do 5 EZ on their treadmill. I'm impressed with how much he's been working out lately. I think that run with me in Carlsbad and the outings in Catalina got him interested in getting in shape. Very good stuff! Going off my 5k PR of 22:30 (7:15 pace), McMillan has my tempo range at 7:37 to 7:57. Going off my 10k PR of 46:07 (7:25 pace), he has my tempos at 7:31 to 7:50, very close to the above. So, yesterday's run peaking at 7:42 was right there, but clearly I need to do more miles at that pace. I took several miles to build up to that, but the progression felt good. While I'm still marathon training (as much as I do that), I'm focusing on increasing speed a bit cuz of the relay next month. I never know how much to trust those McMillen times though. I know for shorter distances they're pretty good, but he's got me doing sub-3:40 marathons, and I just don't see that happening.
                    What race to go off of for tempo runs? Based upon my recent 10k a few weeks, McMillan has my tempo at 7:05-7:24; a 5k in Jan. @ 7:17-7:36 and a half marathon (Dec.) at 7:26-7:45. 7:05s seem awfully fast for a tempo run for me.... or am I just being lazy? I've been aiming closer to mid-7:20s. I'm still training for marathons, too, not 5ks, so I'm thinking a bit toward the slower end is better. ... anyone else have thoughts on my tempo, please say so!
                    I like doing tempo runs by feel, effort or HR most of the time rather than pace. I aim for 10 K -1/2M RP HR or an equivalent effort. Try to make them 'comfortably hard' but not exhausting. If you do short intervals-tempo/cruise intervals, then the pace can be a bit faster. Keep the recovery to 1-2 minutes. If it is a sustained tempo, make sure the pace you pick is slow enough to make it the entire time of the workout. These workouts are the crux of marathon training speedwork, IMO. GL

Marathon Maniac #957

I... can jog to the refridgerator and back no problem.
                      Hey, that's MY kind of cross-training... Skip - the feeling is mutual. Glad to hear you're on your way back. Smile Hey - Steve just posted a baby picture!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I like doing tempo runs by feel, effort or HR most of the time rather than pace. I aim for 10 K -1/2M RP HR or an equivalent effort. Try to make them 'comfortably hard' but not exhausting. If you do short intervals-tempo/cruise intervals, then the pace can be a bit faster. Keep the recovery to 1-2 minutes. If it is a sustained tempo, make sure the pace you pick is slow enough to make it the entire time of the workout. These workouts are the crux of marathon training speedwork, IMO. GL
                        Thanks, dale, though I have to chuckle because tempo runs are one of the few runs I do time! (i.e. my negative split comment on Kick...). Smile I have done some tempos by feel, though. I agree they are the crux of marathon speedwork. I used to do some longer intervals with recoveries, but haven't in a while and for Eugene will probably stick with sustained tempo paced runs (~4 miles) and MP intervals and see what happens. Based upon where I've come from last fall until now, I'm doing fine so far. After next next race, I suppose I'll know even more.
                          Thanks, dale, though I have to chuckle because tempo runs are one of the few runs I do time! (i.e. my negative split comment on Kick...). Smile I have done some tempos by feel, though. I agree they are the crux of marathon speedwork. I used to do some longer intervals with recoveries, but haven't in a while and for Eugene will probably stick with sustained tempo paced runs (~4 miles) and MP intervals and see what happens. Based upon where I've come from last fall until now, I'm doing fine so far. After next next race, I suppose I'll know even more.
                          Pushing the distance to 6/8 and 10 miles can yield wonderful results. My good friend who is knocking on sub3 at age 50+yrs is a big believer in just going by feel and working that pace over medLR's. Eventually when he can crank out a 16 miler with 10 at tempo or all 16 at MP, he is ready to rock! When this is done gradually, there is very little injury risk. It just gets boring and difficult doing the same thing. I like changing it up with some medLR's done with tempo fartlek as transition to tempo from base and every now and then in the middle of marathon training to mix it up. You know you're gonna rock it, Soundie...
                            1200 57f 5.5mi 7:30-ish pace in my next incarnation as a marathon training runner, i'm adding very structured long runs to my tempo and interval workouts. guys around me were doing 20 milers with 5 easy, 5 at mp+1:00, 5 at mp+:30, 3 at mp and 2 at halfmp... stuff like that. reading through rbb's crazed long runs also shows a lot of speed in his long runs. i think it's the next step.
                              -26 right now... that's without any wind chill (well, we don't have any wind....). Should warm up to about zero or 5 above the next couple of days, but highs of -10 and lows of -35 for this weekend. Rats. Looking tough to get a long run in outside...
                              Does Fairbanks have plug-ins for engine block heaters in the parking spaces like I've seen in northern Minnesota? -35 is cold enough to freeze anti-freeze! And here's hoping that you will stay inside. Spring is coming ... eventually.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Sorry to jump in the middle of this marathon training/tempo pacing discussion to post my 4.4 mile run today. The first half was nice - windshirt and gloves came off after the first mile. Then I turned around at the halfway point and the wind hit me. Gee, it didn't feel so bad on the way out! My ears were cold, and I didn't have a hat, so I put my windshirt back on and put up the hood. But then I had the hood flap-flap-flapping around my ears. Oh, well, at least I got outside. OK, carry on with the discussion...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.