Masters Running

40s 50s 60s and Beyond On the Run - w/e 10/10 (Read 468 times)

Top 'O the World!

"Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial."  -  Richard Ben Sapir

What a perfectly wonderful Fall day we have going here!!  Hope you do too in your part of the world!

Had a good time @ the Komen RFTC. Got on the train @ 5:45am w/lots of other folks dressed in pink for the 50 min ride to the Pepsi Ctr...lotsa animated chatty ppl.   Huge turnout, perfect weather (well, a little coolish), fun costumes-one guy kinda looked like a pink Dr Seuss character, striped socks, really tall stovepipe hat & all! Common theme w/some of the young girls were pink super hero capes & leggings.... ....supposed to be a 7am 5K co-ed run, 8am 5K walk & a 9am 1mile family fun walk but, as always, the biggest crowd is there for the 7am - including thousands of walkers who line up towards the front...ah well, it IS the Komen RFTC! So, if you're a runner who isn't any closer than 100 yds from the start gate (me) you will spend the first 1/2 of the event dodging/negotiating WALLS of walkers! In the 2nd half, just when it's opening up enough to get a little bit of a stride going, you find all those wknd warriors who somehow went out waaaay too fast & come to an abrupt halt to walk for a bit (they never look before stopping!), in smaller groups now, but still often in groups! If one stops, they all stop. Now, if we haven't sorted everybody by now, starting just about 2/3 mile from the finish, we do this cool little "ribbon of ppl" around then & back up the off ramp...(that'll take em out!) we're back to walls of walkers! till the last 100yds or so, which has to go back down hill to the parking lot w/the GIANT expo stuff! ....as always - lotsa swag!~ picked up some fribees & beads & stuff for the grandkids. Indulged or brought home, fruit, chips, bars, yogurts, cheeses, pasta & the Safeway ppl have these little bites of heaven disguised as steak "samples"..   oh, Timex says all that came in around a 34:28...

Have a Great Week Everyone!!!!

Cindy

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
    Slo

Great report Cindy. I'd say you had a blast !

The Komen Foundation knows how to put on a good race and get tons of people out there.

Cindy, thanks for starting us off with a good quote. 

Way cool 5K's for you and Ev! 

Ev, very nice time you turned in.   Did the Mrs run this one too?

Cindy, I guess those Komen races are similar everywhere.  They actually do a pretty good job of sectioning off the runners here, but a little bob and weave is always part of the game.  I actually think we miss a bit of the fun of it by not being enveloped in the larger crowd of walkers.  So many inspiring stories represented there. 

Woohooo, a Jewels sighting.  Glad to see you are OK, and juggling life's challenges.  I miss your life balancing perspectives, so hope you will post when you can.

Think I may have figured out my arch issue.  I did nothing but bike and swim the last several days, and it's still tender + also put an end to my last swimming workout due to a cramp in that arch that I couldn't work out in the pool.  I'm biking in my running shoes, and read that flexing on the pedals in "soft" shoes can cause arch pain.  Not sure why it's only bothering me on one side, but it is my dominant foot that is the problem.  So this week will emphasize running more and biking less to see if that helps, along with the RICE. 

Hey, I biked as much as Joe runs this week...53 miles.  I'll race you!

Howdy to everyone else.  Nice to see Slo popping in here. 

Progress Trumps Pefection
          ARGHHHH!
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            ARGHHHH!

I just heard a similar sound coming from our couch.  Sorry Ev!  For women, hormones determine moods, for men, it's football.

Top 'O the World!

Ev:     sorry...NOT!

Oh gosh Carol,  I'm so sorry if it sounded in any way like I was complaining!! It was not my intent. Nor my feeling..& I assume that they are all pretty much set up the same way, so maybe I thought there's not much to explain...Just last year, the 7am was a women's only run/walk, the 8am was co-ed run/walk + the 1 mile family walk..This year, they made the 7am a co-ed run, 8am co-ed run/walk - for whatever reason.....much bigger turnout of men than I've ever seen before! & starting well back from the front, if I move through it efficiently, (no pushing - lotsa giggling & carrying on)  lets me see/chat with several folks...read bibs...just enjoy the event.  Komen is one of my favorite events!! For just that reason....& the purpose of the 5K is different (I think) than nearly any other race that I've done...I don't want to start out front  

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Thanks Cindy and nice job  on your "walk". What a great cause and glad to hear you had a good turnout. Did you get your Garmin going?There's a reset sequence if you're interested.

Hey Jewels! Good to see you! Good for Arla on getting you to come out and play.We've missed you.

Carol-hope your foot feels better. Do you use toe-clips on your bike?What is it about foot cramps and swimming? They can be awful.

Ev ,it's a long season. We just started now.

Hey Slo, nice billboard you gave to Arla a ways back.

Hi Everyone

Lotsa T.O.F (time on feet )this weekend.Long run yesterday followed by 2 bonkwalk miles to return to car , ff's today with Buddy, and what I hope was the last 3 hrs of grass mowing to do this year.

Cindy - I always love to read your race descriptions.  And you always end up with good swag, too!

Carol - Hope the foot come around sooner rather than later.

Joe - Dontcha know yer suppose to rest those legs after a long run?

Ev - The Hub says that about every . . . single . . . Raider's game.  They suck.

Today was officially my last day of being a total slouch.  Tomorrow the new schedule begins, and guess what I'm scheduled for?  A REST DAY!!  I feel like I should at least get up and go for a walk.  Schedule calls for sand running this time 'round since Desert High has some nice soft, sandy sections of trail.  I didn't remember it, but Coach remembered that I said something about achy ankles after the run.

Did a drive thru the neighbor town of Arcata (home of Humboldt State University).  Every year they host "Pastels on the Plaza," the proceeds from which are donated to some children's services organization.  The plaza is a huge square.  For $XX you can buy a section of sidewalk, and most of the artists business sponsors.  The pictures go in a big square.  I completely forgot it was yesterday, but the pictures were still nice and fresh this a.m.  Most of the drawings are fantastic.  Here are a couple of pics.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mtn....wtg on the komen.  I'm gonna do me one of these in the future.

Carol.....no, mrs day did not participate.  She hasn't raced in several years.  But she has enlisted me as her "coach" for the OKC Memorial Half Marathon in April '10.   However she's no good at laying around drinking beer, eating nachos and watching football.  So I don't know how she'll get through my training program.

Nice xtraining you got going on Carol.

Mtn....now that I've had a few hours to settle down, I can say this.   Congrats to you and the Broncos!  It was was an exciting game to the end.  <under my breath>  #$@&!, *&$%@#! </under my breath>

Joe....a long season?  That's what I am afraid of......a long season full of $%#^&@!  I don't know if I can take a long season of this!  By the way....congrats on the Giants win!

Leslie....I love the sidewalk chalk art!  I'm amazed at the talent that is represented at these sidewalk art things.  So glad the artists share their gift.  The bottom picture.....took me awhile to realize....2 ice cream cones! 

Hey Slo.

Jim....I see you're in the middle of harvest.  Corn?  Is it corn for feed or corn for the grocery store?  I'm assuming there is a difference. 

Hey to Arla, Jewels, Stump, and evryone else.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Hey Cindy, I didn't take your post that way at all.  Your big heart comes through loud and clear, and I know you absolutely "get" the whole experience, whether running or walking.  The Komen is usually my mom's big race (more runners her age), and I sometimes have to talk her down a bit because she is so into the competition aspect of it.  But that is fun too Smile

Slept in after a bad blood sugar episode in the early hours of the morning.  My continuous monitor was alarming that I was low, but I was sleeping right through it.  Thankfully hubby heard it and woke me up.  Blood sugar was down to 39, which is pretty low.  Hopefully get in a run later in the day. 

Leslie, those picks are really cool!  At least they can be captured by cameras since the next rain will wash them away. 

Howdy to everyone else!

6 easy miles with mrsday (lmd).  Beautifully cool and breezy.

mrs day has enlisted me as her "coach" for the OKC Memorial Half Marathon in April '10.   However she's no good at laying around drinking beer, eating nachos and watching football.  So I don't know how she'll get through my training program.

Did I miss an appearance by Slo in here??

Carol - Hope the blood sugar levels have stabilized. 

True to form, I chose not to get up this a.m. since this was an official rest day.  Figured I needed to rest from all my rest over the past week.  Plus, it was frigging cold!  Thermo-meter said 32.  And our heater and gas stove aren't working right now.  The Hub knew the pilot went out on the heater but hasn't done anything yet , but we didn't know the switch for the gas stove had given up the ghost until we tried to get it to light last night.  So the cold is my second excuse for not getting up, although I won't be able to use that one anymore.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Leslie--That was an amazing ordeal you put yourself through (for fun? )  I would say it's a tribute to your training to finish upright.

a while back, you asked about fish oil--can't remember if I ever answered.  I take 6 Nature's Bounty  1000mg capsules each day (2 every 8 hours) with no sign of burpage.

Everyone else, I'm afraid I'm going to be very short--scratchy throut and runny nose dictates an early night.  Good runs to all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Leslie--

a while back, you asked about fish oil--can't remember if I ever answered.  I take 6 Nature's Bounty  1000mg capsules each day (2 every 8 hours) with no sign of burpage.

No burpage - nice!!  Hope you feel better.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi All! Gorgeous Harvest Moon for last night's 10er on the boards.

Nice sidewalk pics Leslie.Amazing what some talented folks can do with some chalk!