Masters Running

Sunday, March 30 Runs (Read 538 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Tetsujin! Wow! You are amazing! Ilene – nice 20-miler yesterday! Well, I discovered that there is a fine line between fueling up for a big run and overindulgence, when I spent several hours last night tossing and turning with a very upset stomach. Sad Eventually, with the help of 2 doses of Mylanta, I was able to get back to sleep, but my stomach is still tender today. Note for Boston: eat well, but don’t overeat. Today’s forecast puts me in a quagmire about how to dress for my super-LR. Rain chances now are at 30-40% - not enough for me to break out my rain shell, and take the chance on being stuck with it for 5 hours if no rain shows up. I decided to try something I’ve seen others do. I took a trash bag, cut out holes for head and arms, and carefully folded it very small and put it into my belt pouch. Also, temps will range from 41-45 degrees. Normally I don’t break out the shorts until about 46 degrees, but I hate to get rained on, and then have sodden pants to weigh me down for several hours. But then, if it doesn’t rain, and I end up walking a lot, my legs will freeze in shorts. I think I’ll opt for the pants. I’ll check in later and let you know how it went. Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

We're pulling for you Holly!!!!!

SteveP

Holly, You'll do well----just take it a mile at a time and hang in there! I have run with you and know how tough and strong you are. I am up and getting ready to head to Kittery , ME for the 20 mile race. It's 17 degrees there now, so I am hoping for at least 10 more degrees by the 11 AM start time. I did read the thread from yesterday and just wanted to add a huge high five for Tet....WOW. I can't even imagine. Fantastic. Also.....Erika....great running and awesome tempo pace. I think a big smile will be on your face come April 21 Over and out for now CNYrunner
          heading out the door right now too!! hope everyone has absolutely wonderful Sunday runs!! will check in tonight!! Big grin

denise

Good luck and good weather Holly. You're going to blister that 20 mile race CNY. You are an amazing runner. I marvel at your tempo torture runs ... Today was scheduled for a 20 mile training LR. I got a break as the weather was/is very nice - 65 degrees at 5:00 AM. The plan was for a Pfitz-style progression LR of 20 miles altogether. I ran the 1st 8 miles really easy at 10:00 min/mile pace. Then picked it up every so slightly for the next 5 miles at 9:35. Finally, for the last 7 miles, I started at 9:14 and worked it down to 8:44 by the end. Those last 7 are terribly encouraging as I didn't feel I was going all that quickly. Never looked at the Garmin once. This was all by feel. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

7.0 tempo/progression miles. I had no particular expectations for today's run, expecting that I might still be tired and/or sore from Friday's 20 miler. The running gods smiled upon me. 9:30, 9:22, 9:02, 8:55, 8:38, 7:48, 8:15 That's 8:48 average pace - which bodes well for next Sunday's 10 mile race. Considering today was a hiilly course with no taper, I think it might just work out ok. Lot's of good runs this weekend! Looking forward to Holly's report - hope she's staying dry... Erika had a very nice tempo run yesterday. This part is fun, now that we're reaping the benefits of the winter training build-up.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Welllllll...just a few of us reporting i.....so far this morning.. Great runs.... Breger nice Progression....and predawn, nice prep run for the 10 miles. Holly.....runnng in the rain can be fun......but in the cold...well that is something else... Today...out at 7:30AM.....60 degrees////very humid ..almost fog.. 5.5 easy miles at 9 pace.... Now off to the Church pancake breakfast ( am one of the cooks)...should keep me out of trouble till after 1 pm...
                  Holly, hope things are going your way! CNY..deez4...good luck! Breger and Predawn....nice runs. I'm going out for 20 when I can muster the guts...by the time that happens, temps will be warm, it's 61 right now. If I was smart I'd get it in while it's still a bit cool. But I'm not that smart...no, wait.......I'm trying to simulate race conditions....yeh, thats it, simulate race conditions! Wink Good runs to all today. And I'm looking forward to the TM (tapering madness) from all you Bostonian racers for the next few weeks!
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  Mariposai

Tetsujin I bow to you my compadre. Congratulations on your happy feet ultra marathon yesterday. My DH and I had a great dinner at fjordrunner's house last night. Our lovely friend is doing well, but extremely busy with work and planning her DD's wedding. She sent her love to you all. I have pictures of our get-together I will post later after I return from church. 6 miles this morning, thus ending this week with a 60 miles week- a PR week for the butterfly lady. My legs were definitely tired today after the 21 miler on Friday and the 6 six miles I did yesterday. So I ditched the planned interval run and just made it an EZE run instead. Since I will have only 2 weeks to taper, I figured it is more important to stay injury free and not push my luck. Now....let Taper time begging. Tongue. Wenatchee Marathon...my butterfly wings are ready for you Cool

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

You will do greta Holly! I also walk that fine line in the eating department! Evryday - good luck on your 20 miler today too!! Out for a 6 mile recovery run this morning. Averaged a 10:33 pace with 156 AHR. The wind was fierce on the last two miles as it tried to blow me backwards. Overall a 35 mile week - which is my highest mileage to date! Big grin Happy Sunday! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Didn't get a chance to read yesterday's thread, but in catching up, I see the Breger used my one and only golfing joke. Glad I didn't put it in before reading! first day of my biking rehab. Didn't take me long to realize that I haven't done much (any?) riding this early in the spring. It was 24 when I got up, so I waited until it hit 32 and then went out. Still froze. So only one lap around the lake (3.2m). Still enough to realize how few muscles running and biking have in common. Hope the seat gets a little more comfortable soon, too. Shocked At this point I'm late enough that people are eaither still racing or already done, so hope they all went well. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

5.3 recovery miles this morning into a stiff wind half o f the time. Feeling pretty good after yesterdays 1/2 and didn't want to push to hard. I am so used to Sunday long runs I think I feel a little guilty for only going 5 when my mind was ready to go furthur. evryday I have been begging for 60s for the last couple weeks. Looks like we might finally see 50s next week though. Big grin Good luck again to Holly, CNY and whoever else is racing today.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Right foot's a little sore from yesterday's 5 miles (and not wearing my orthotics enough when I'm not running), so decided to do weights and stretching today. Just finished one hour of weights on the stability ball and pilates. Weather and my schedule look good for two more weeks of slowly but surely increasing mileage and then a cut-back week when I'll be at school three evenings in a row. Cool thing about the orthotics is that I tried on a pair of shoes that I had retired and, with the orthotics, I'm going to be able to get some more miles out of them. Oh, that, and the small detail that I'm able to run better, longer, and without pain in them. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Good Sunday afternoon Boomers. Am I the greatest mother, or what? Instead of doing my early planned run this morning, I got word that the local Toys 'R Us store was getting in a shipment of Wii games. We've been looking for one since before Christmas. So, at 7:30 I went and stood in line (store doesn't open until 10:00) in 29F weather with a good strong wind out of the northwest. By 9:00, I couldn't feel my toes anymore so I called DS2 to come and "spell" me for a while. Success! Now all we have to do is fork out big bucks for the games and all the extras. Two cups of hot coffee and a warm blanket later, I'm ready to head out for a short run. I'm surprised at how stiff my legs are this morning after yesterday's run (or could it be from standing in cold weather for almost 3 hours). Hasn't warmed up much here - only 35F - but at least it's not snowing as they predicted. Good luck to Holly and to all our tapering friends, enjoy - you've worked hard and deserve this well-deserved rest! Good runs to all, and go Davidson! Jeanne
                                5 easy miles around the neighborhood after working a 5k race this morning. Stumpy, I used to ride a lot but gave it up. I don't miss them cold rides and lousy seats but mostly it was the crazy drivers that made me give it up. Angry Very nice run Berger and PDR.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.