Masters Running

Thursday July 20 (Read 36 times)

mrrun

No running until 7 tonight - race Sad in HHH, but I'm starting off for all you lurkers!  marj

Thanks!

4 miles-  yep, yesterday we hit 96 degrees and it didn't improve much overnight.  Hot and humid out there already.  Took my new Hoka Clifton 4s on their inaugural journey and they seem great.    1.6 miles after work on the dreadmill.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...nice to hear from BTY......sure, we all got Old

but

..just remember, that's why God Invented Cross-Training

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Yes - good to hear from Better Than Yesterday yesterday.  That's just a silly sentence, isn't it?

Good news ad bad news from yesterday.

Bad news - the motorcyclist passed away.

Good news - I was able to do my scheduled 4 x 1 mile intervals at the track (not on the TM).  The track is about .75 miles from my house.  So I was quite surprised when the first mile (warmup) registered at 8:10.  I knew I was pumped to hit the 7:45 target, but that first mile getting to the track was supposed to be a lot slower.  Ok - let the intervals begin.  Mile 1 - didn't hit 7:45; instead ran it in 7:23.  Oh oh, too fast.  I'm gonna crash and burn.  So I ran two slower laps in between.  Mile 2 - 7:28.  Yikes - too fast again.  Gotta bring the heart rate down.  One slow lap, then mile 3 - 7:29.  What? Really?  Ok, fine.  One more slow lap, then mile 4 - pushed, and 7:29 again.  Huh.

So I went faster than my plan, but let's put this into perspective.  I used to be able to pump out a PBJ Special (8 miles in an hour, or 7:30 pace for the whole distance) on a regular basis.  These intervals were tough!  And I couldn't stop sweating afterwards.  Oh well.  Still felt pretty good.

...nice to hear from BTY......sure, we all got Old

but

..just remember, that's why God Invented Cross-Training

+1

One of these days, my mind will "catch up" with my body. Right now, it still can't figure out why I can't go out and run 7-10 miles at a 9 minute/mile pace 5 days a week. And I am getting better with this. I'll be turning 65 in a week or so, and I was so looking forward to being in a new AG. Now with this PF thing, I'm struggling to get out and run 2 or 3 days a week. Today I ran/walked 6 miles, then hopped on my bike and did 5. It is what it is. You just gotta go with the flow....

It's nice that everyone is stepping up to start the daily while Jay is gone, but I am missing his recaps!

It was nice to see BTY pop in. I remember a lot of folks from the Cool Running days and wonder what happened to them. Tall, Dark Horse, Mustang Sally and the rest.

RunnerKSA - how do you like Hoka's? I tried a pair on when I was looking for new shoes but I felt like I was falling forward. It just felt awkward.

Tet. Have fun with your GS. And I know what you mean about "getting permission" from the parents on doing things with the grandkids that the parents aren't real sure of! I might be old, but I still think I'm capable of having fun with them without putting them at risk. And I haven't lost one yet!

DH and I had a great time on the Apostle Islands. Played golf, hiked, ate and drank way too much   They had kayak rentals available in Bayfield, Wisconsin, but the waves on Lake Superior were 8-10 feet. We didn't think it was a good idea for rookies to be out on the water in waves like that. Oh. And the lake temperature was 60° with cloudy skies and 52°

Good luck with your muggy run tonight Marj. Have a great Thursday everyone!

So sorry about the motorcyclist.  I hate that!

I am a big Hoka fan, but I try a lot of different shoes, too.  Hoka Clifton (3 and now 4) are big improvements on earlier Hokas.  I like Bondi, but it is clunkier than Clifton.  I don't like Clayton.  Clifton seems like just a really good shoe, and the cushioning is good for older runners.

Mother brag here-  My son is ranked first in the world for his age group out of 9300 triathletes for Ironman 70.3 distance.  He tempered it by saying that some weight is given to frequency of racing 70.3, which helps (although he doesn't over-race).  This is for age group athletes and excludes the pros, who are not put into age groups.

Mother brag here-  My son is ranked first in the world for his age group out of 9300 triathletes for Ironman 70.3 distance.  He tempered it by saying that some weight is given to frequency of racing 70.3, which helps (although he doesn't over-race).  This is for age group athletes and excludes the pros, who are not put into age groups.

Wow, that certainly justifies "mother bragging," KSA! How old is he?

PBJ, I remember a couple of years ago stopping at a rest area on I-75 headed north in Michigan and seeing a motorcyclist about my age getting back on his touring bike. I commented to my wife that sometimes I missed my days of doing that. Then, about an hour up the road, we passed some cars pulled off the side of the road and some debris in the roadway, and there was that cyclist laying sprawled in the right lane of the freeway! When we got to our destination I tried looking up local papers in that area but never found any mention of what happened or his condition.

Well, yesterday's long, brisk walk might have been a bit of a mistake as I'd been experiencing a slightly sore back that in the afternoon turned into a very painful lower back when standing or trying to stand. I don't have chronic back problems exactly, but it does tend to get triggered by picking up something too heavy (which I did on Tuesday) or just from some random tweaking. We were getting concerned since we're leaving on a trip on Sunday that involves a lot of walking, stairs, etc., but fortunately it's eased off today and should pass by the weekend. I'll just take it easy today and watch the last interesting day of the Tour de France off the DVR this afternoon.

So that's my excuse for not being out and at 'em -- what's yours?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

He's 30 going on 31 (30-34 age group)

C-R

Very neat RKSA. Can't believe you are encouraging him to run Monkey. He has so much reason to avoid Monkey attacks.

Good luck marj. We had a XC race last night at 7 and I was still feeling it for today's lunch run.

Sad to hear about the motorcyclist PBJ.

Raced in a small XC 5k last night. Felt like 10k. Made my 6 miler MAF run at lunch much slower than expected but I ground through as we should.

Well back to the grindstone.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

...VERY Cool RKSA//.....you got an Impressive Kiddo

.........roch//..........see if you're Leaning Into the Hills,

I was having the same problem, and then fixed it by staying more upright

.....that said,

heading out to the SoccerFields, was waiting til Heat Index got closer to 100

(yes,

I actually do that On Purpose* )

*see daily on CrazyPeople from earlier this week

He was very, very difficult to raise.  You just can't imagine.  Extremely bright.  Extremely difficult.  Still is.   Monkey would be his first stand alone marathon.  His only other marathon was at the end of the Kona World Championships.  He seems to want to do it!

I am staring at a computer running some code and not saying anything interesting so I figure this is as good a time to post here as any. Where is a sleeping smiley when you need it?

spacityrunner speaking writing of races canceled or in trouble have you seen the news about Portland? It is not 100% their marathon will go off. Can you imagine that, a city like Portland without a marathon? That just happened in Denver. Remarkable, in a bad way.

catwhoorg wow! A double and  quite a lot of miles total too.

BTY happy to see you back. I hope your body cooperates and lets you run regularly. Then I hope your brain cooperates and causes you to post here in the daily regularly as well! 

evanflein I vote for always stopping to watch baby ducks and other water birds while out on a run!

flats I had the part of the watch the pin that holds the band on break. Found that Gorilla glue fixed it "good enough" to keep the band on, even if the watch looks a bit less aesthetic.

PBJ sorry to read about the motorcyclist. As to track speed, well nothing gets faster at some point. My friend pointed out the hills we ran last year are a lot taller and steeper this year. It is global rising. I have noticed the phenomenon everywhere I go!

Jlynne I am always amazed at the waves the great lakes can produce. Normally I think of lakes as quite tranquil even if the wind picks up.

RunnerKSA bragging here is just fine. Pretty impressive. Must have some very athletic genes!

rochrunner I totally sympathize with the back issue! My dad had a weak back and I do to. Really bad design, backs that is. Who thought to put them together that way? 

C-R tough trying to run what sounds like just over 12 hours after a race.

Yesterday a former student came over to my house and we ran 6 miles together. Really ran/walked, He has two speeds, too fast for him to maintain in this weather and walk. I just could not get him to slow the run part down. Oh well, no matter. It was really nice to catch up with him. Plus he brought me a bottle of Breckenridge Whiskey! Who can fault a guy like that?  Today was my long run day. I have to get my long runs back up. I am running the Melbourne Marathon in October and in terms of marathon training that is coming up way sooner than where I am now. Well you have to start somewhere, and at the moment that has my long run at 16 miles. Next week i will bump it to 18.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

94-degrees with mild breeze

..40-min RC

..was doing

just fine til Pickles

had me spray outside for Ants when I got back///////

ToughLove

...........good running to ya..........V-8 to Celebrate

catwhoorg

Labrat

Stuck in the office until 5:30 at the earliest.

URD.

Consistency is tough this week.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Half Fanatic #9874

My name is Lianne.  I posted an intro in the Intro thread.  I guess this is where everyone talks about their fitness plans for the day.

I'm not running at all today.  I run 3 x a week and did so yesterday -- a lackluster 2 miles with a fast finish  -- on a morning that was already muggy by 6:30 a.m.  I have a half on Saturday so I'm sort of tapering anyway.

I opted for extra sleep this morning instead of lifting weights like I originally intended.  Since my Fitbit Alta HR told me I've been getting paltry deep sleep the last couple of days and I felt like it too, I figured sleep would be a better time investment.  I'm off work tomorrow and can lift then.