Masters Running

Monday March 22 Runs and Misbehavior (Read 515 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow!  LOTS OF GREAT RUNNING THIS WEEKEND! 

Nono – is Bayside being serious?  ‘Cause I can slap him for you if you want….

Enke – I’m not sure any shoe can keep your feet from sliding forward on steep downhills.  Before LRs I now wrap my toes individually with Kinesio Tape  - no more blisters under my toenails.  I think this would help for you, too.

CNYrunner – I’ll say it again – how you manage to run 24 miles with a HM embedded is amazing to me.  My legs are DEAD after a HM.

Erika – wow – you just keep getting faster and faster!  How do you do it?

Leslie – 42 miles in 2 days – yowza!!  And your haircut looks great!

WRFB – how do you manage to take such beautiful pictures with a camera small enough to run with?

GOOD LUCK TO DG in her surgery today!

So many other great runs to comment on, but I’m out of time.  No run for me today, just some weights and exercises.

Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning Holly and all to follow. Haven't had much time these last few weeks. Two jobs, watching Will, and we put our house on the market so I've been trying to clean and de-clutter.

Lots of exciting stuff going on here lately. Leslie, love the new haircut. You look beautiful! Mine is shorter than yours so I know what you mean about the easy maintenance. Deb, good luck with your surgery today. We'll be saying a prayer that you're back on your running feet soon. Some smokin' runs by a lot of people this weekend - Walt, Karin and the rest. Glad Mari got to talk to her DS in Poland and will help him train for his marathon. Hope Holly gets her kitchen job done soon so she can invite us over for dinner and drinks. Any news on the job, Holly? Mary - hang in there. It's tough working for a family-runned business, especially when they're a--holes.  Byll and Tim just continue to be running machines. Carolyn, hope your heating problems are fixed.  Too bad you're not going through menopause - you wouldn't have needed an "external" furnace  Looking forward to Slo's visit for the CellCom and his comments on the course. Nono, hope your toes are in better shape for next weekend. Good luck. Wrote down the bib numbers of all our Boston runners and will track y'all on race day.

Great running weekend for me. 11 miles Saturday, 6 yesterday and up at 4:30 this morning for a quick 5 before work. Kids are on spring break this week so we get to wear jeans - yeah! 

Hoping Jack Bauer can get CTU back up and running tonight...

Renee the dog

Nono – is Bayside being serious?  ‘Cause I can slap him for you if you want….

Oh, no!  He's most definitely not being serious!  He's mocking my hardcore approach to anything athletic.  He watched all week as I got sicker and sicker and just wouldn't even consider not going out yesterday.  I guess I am kinda hard-headed that way.

I had such a great day yesterday, and after we get home tonight, I'll start my write up.  Didn't sleep until 2 a.m. and was up at 6 a.m.  I don't know what it is about a marathon that I can't sleep afterwards!  Anyone else have that issue?

As for running, I think I'll take a rest day today, and probably tomorrow, as I beat up my toes on one foot pretty bad out there.  Hoping to get a few days in later in the week to loosen up before next weekend's Ocean Drive.  Since we had sunny at 70ish weather at the Shamrock, I'm planning for 20s & raining next weekend...

Have fun out there today!  Running is awesome.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

dg.

good morning!

I just have a minute.

Thanks Carolyn, Holly, Jeanne...   Jeanne it's good to see you back here!

Nono hugs to your toes.   power rest & power healing!

1 mile, about a 9:50 pace.   back lifts, rows, leg presses  1 at a time & then both, abductor things, side planks, hammie curls & russian twists.

okey dokey, gotta get  ready to go!

Oh, Didn't sleep until 2 a.m. and was up at 6 a.m.  I don't know what it is about a marathon that I can't sleep afterwards!  Anyone else have that issue?

Sure.  All the time!  You're just replaying the race over in your mind.  I sorta had one of those nights last night replaying my Solos.

I decided to sleep in today.  The legs are feeling a little bit of DOMS from Saturdays fast finish LR.  No problem.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, gang!!

Thanks for the Monday morning kickoff Holly!

Slo - Nice age group placement!!  How's DD doing??

TomS - you smoked your target pace - way to go!!

Leslis - love the kewl 'do - thanks for posting!

{{{{{{{dg}}}}}} - I'll be thinking about you tomorrow!

jlynne - great to see your post this morning - welcome back!!!  Good luck with selling the house!

Lou - mighty impressive picture of the reflecting pool - awesome!

6 miles on the TM this morning - walk/run @ 11:54 and 130 AHR.  I really wanted to hit the road this morning, but I did a couple of agility training sessions yesterday that left my foot achy again, so I opted to be nice to the foot and just do the treadmill. 

DH is out of town until Thursday night, so I have a few days of blissful "do as I please" at home.  I'm psyched ;-).

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

Carolyn wrote: "Does short hair help you run faster? Just thinking that Walt and Tim are bald, and they're fast..."
                Being a well-on-my-way-to-bald guy--who is much slower than Walter or Tim--I laughed at this.  Isn’t it kind of like saying, “Hey, you’re fast for a fat guy!”  Insult or compliment? Hmmmm…..

Nono—sorry to hear about the tough race, but you’ve got a great attitude.  (I could learn something from you.)

Slo—awesome race and AG placement yesterday!

Lou—nice pics and that race was a solid step forward in your comeback; you’ll be peaking at Boston!

Enke—sorry I’m no help but good luck on the trail shoes search

tselbs—smart running yesterday; well done!

CNY—very cool that you pushed your friend to do her best.  Are you available for a marathon some day?!

Perch—Nice running this weekend.  Did I mention I’ve started wearing Asics 2140s?  Jury’s still out.

Walt—you are smokin’ fast!  Great race…and after 21 total  miles in February?  How do you do that?

Fatozzig—another weekend of killer miles; very impressive.  (Nice cut, too!)

Erika—excellent run on that Boston-like course!  You’re gonna kick butt.

Holly—after this weekend’s callus/blister issue, I’m thinking I may need to try your tape technique—at least in the short run until I get the source of the calluses figured out.  The stuff stays stuck?  I have this fear of it unwinding and causing even more trouble.

dg—good luck today!

First day of my Boston training!  (Hey, I’ve still got a month, right?)  Actually, my hamstring was bothering me so much yesterday, I just walked a bit; no running.  Today, still sore but I did 3.4 slow trails miles.  Nothing serious; I just need to let it come back slowly.

Have a good week.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne – and they say that I’M busy – sounds like you have your schedule maxed out!

Tramps – thus far I have not had any instance of the tape moving/wrinkling.  It really doesn’t seem that sticky when you first put it on, but the adhesive gets stronger after a bit.  It’s made of a thin, stretchy fabric – doesn’t seem like it would be thick enough for much protection, but I haven’t had even a sore toe since I started wrapping them.  In 2008, I lost 5 toenails from the Boston marathon (not immediately but in the next few weeks - the blisters underneath the nails loosen them), I think due to all the downhills, but I'm hoping this year to keep them all. 

And yes, please be very careful to take it easy this week.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

So Deb - the doc said no running before surgery, so you only did a mile?  And back lifts, rows, leg presses  1 at a time & then both, abductor things, side planks, hammie curls & russian twists?      Anyway, good luck today!

Jeanne, welcome back, and I love the new baby Will avatar!  What a cutie!   But who's Jack Bauer?

Sue, enjoy your "singles" week!  My DH is finally home and I'm hoping he can figure out the furnace problem soon.

Tramps, I hope Tim and Walt don't think I was being insulting!  No offense meant .  Saying "you're fast for a fat guy" would be different because you can do something about your weight.  Not true for baldness.  Besides, bald guys are sexy.   (Fat guys, not so much.)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

Wow....you guys are off to a great start this morning.

dg.....We'll be thinking of you !  Wishing you a fast recovery !

Jlynne.....Hi !, Glad to see you back.

Leslie....Great picture. I don't know what your hair looked like before but what your sportin now sure suits you! Dare I say "Sassy !" 

DD is doing very well. Off to school today. What a way for her to spend her spring break. Odd stuff....Friday morning was her worst.....she was also nearly completely cleared up by that evening.

After 2 full weeks of no swimming I dove in this morning. Felt good to be back in the pool.....2 weeks is long enough to backslide a little too. Looking forward to a nice easy RAW and a good solid week of training.

CNY—very cool that you pushed your friend to do her best.  Are you available for a marathon some day?!

Hmmm...I think there is that run on 4/19 coming up....I expect to see you there and by that I mean see you on the roads. Our starting corrals are not that far apart and now that this may be your A race, put the detailed plans aside and run with me.....think about it!

9.5 miles for me at 7:15 under overcast skies and 40º and while it was longer than I had originally planned, I settled into a groove and there you go. Some days are just like that. I think I was still high from a fun weekend and then my fast friend Claire Gadrow e-mailed her results from the New Bedford half-marathon on 3/21----She was 2nd masters woman at 1:24---PR and won some cash. Cool!

Good Luck dg---thinking about you.

Holly---thanks for the kind words. I wasn't running race pace so it worked out fine. Can't wait to see you next week!

Smokin' run Erika, you too Bill.

Great haircut Leslie. I am actually growing mine long right now, but also loved it when it was really short. You look great!  There was that time when I was 8 years-old and cut my braids off....yikes!

Great news Slo!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

dg... heal quickly! (and don't push it Smile)

Tramps, I liked the 2140's he least of the series but when they get over 500 miles they start to feel good. I have a pair with 150 miles that still feel a bit clunky. the 2110's were the best.

4 miles recovery with strides in 37:29 (9:22 pace, AHR 147) Measured one longer stride, 6:09 pace 0.11 mile,  felt good.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

Tramps, I hope Tim and Walt don't think I was being insulting!  No offense meant .  

Of course not!  It just struck me as funny.  We bald(ing) guys are a proud bunch.

Holly--it just so happened that DW was going to PT this morning so I asked her to score me a piece of tape so I can try this out.  She got some but the guy told her, "Duct tape works better."  No kidding!

Karin--I'm honored you would even suggest this but (a) I doubt very much I could keep up and (b) I wouldn't want to mess up your race...especially Boston, and (c) I've never planned to run with anyone during a marathon so I'd be uncharted territory and... (d) did I mention I probably couldn't keep up?  

Perch--I actually planned on going back to the 1100s (cheaper), but my local running store stopped carrying them and I needed something quick so I ended up with the 2100s. I may order some on-line now, though.

I forgot to mention: it was 62F and humid at 6:30 this morning!  Very glad it wasn't marathon day today.  That would have been a disaster.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

.  Besides, bald guys are sexy.   (Fat guys, not so much.)

OK, we forgive you

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

So Deb - the doc said no running before surgery, so you only did a mile?  And back lifts, rows, leg presses  1 at a time & then both, abductor things, side planks, hammie curls & russian twists?      Anyway, good luck today!

That's what I was thinking!

Besides, bald guys are sexy.   (Fat guys, not so much.)

+1

Leslie, I love the do.  My hair is too wavy, I'd just look disheveled all the time.

Nono, nope, no trouble sleeping after a hard race.

The 2140's, although Perch loves them, are the shoes that caused me foot pain in the middle of the ball of my foot.  I think the toe box was narrower than the 2130's and squishing my foot.  Anyway, they are going to the Goodwill as they are practically new, as are my trail shoes after I hose them down.  My trail shoes have extra room at the toes, but after 5 miles I feel like I am running in steel toe construction boots.  I am still thinking about some Vibrams, I just have to get the nerve up to go into the store to buy them.  I'm going minimal baby....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."