Masters Running

40's On The Run - "Aim for success, not perfection....." (Read 387 times)

Top 'O the World!

"Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life." -- Dr. David D. Burns Still learning to be "present" with The Journey! Hope you are all having an awesome weekend!! Smile Beeeoootiful day here on the Front Range! currently 80* F/11% H (none!) DH & I took the big dogs down Highline Canal path for an easy 5 this am followed by quesadillas & beer on the 2nd story bar deck....gettin' ready for the BB next Monday....
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      Hiya 40's! Cindy, you gotta know I love that quote Big grin. Great way to start the week! I've been missing you guys, but the vacation was wonderful. Was still pretty sick when we arrived and slept away most of the first day in the condo, but gradually regained some energy day by day from there. Destin was beautiful, with crystal white sand and water in varying shades of turquioise and blue. Kerry and I were celebrating our 20th anniversary, and I gotta say that I'm married to the most amazing guy in the world. OK, so I'm a little prejudiced, but no harm in that Smile. We walked on the beach together every day and watched the dolphins play in the water just outside our condo. Haven't run in 2 weeks, and was feeling a bit icky about that. But as a friend pointed out to me today, I'm blessed to have the ability to rebuild. So I am vowing to enjoy the journey, even when it involves a step or two back now and then. Looking forward to reading of your adventures this week!
      Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

6.2 easy pace miles this morning, seems we went from winter to summer in one week. We had frost on the deck last Sunday and today we crept up against 90. Lynda gave me a jumpstart on the road to town as Jonathan said no more than race distance today. I was hot and tired at the end today and ready to call it a morning. I think Lynda and I were both kinda at our limits with work and hard training (for us). Oh ya I did get 21 and change last wk in an obsesive compulsive moment. This next week will be a welcome slowdown. Its offcial as of 6:25 pm Sunday evening we are done planting corn!!!! Woo Hoo......Killing off a bottle of wine with Lynda now!!! The first time anyway some talk of replant as some of the heavy rains were causing some crusting problems. We have been running pivots on the irrigated corn in fast passes as corn nears emergence trying to soften the surface this week. The pivots always want to get stuck on the first passes until they get a track set so lots of tugging on towers with a pickup. I got back in yesterday morning and still a little wet in the no-til wheat stubble but got really good after run time today. With showers back in the forecast for tommorow I'm glad I pushed it a little. Its getting late, another rain on that heavy ground with the residue cover by the time it would dry out again it would be too late to plant corn and we need to be on to other things. Leslie know how you felt walking into conference all sweaty. Lynda and I got back from our run in Palm Springs and went to the happy hour reception sweaty in run clothes and got some looks. All in all the conference was a good thing as they advised us to get all petroleum based inputs bought and basically out of harms way before things took off. Joe I know what ya mean about those easy runs where you just go run, forget about the pace and just loose track of time. Glad you are enjoying them. Arla weird weather this yr, hope it cools and you get out there again. How long is your mom there for? Kelly wow you stay busy, no wonder you are so fit. Moving equipment usually goes pretty well in this area as most know the etiquette. Not too many "late to work road rage jerks" like in the Craig Morgan video Cindy posted. I had a combine die near town one time blocking the whole road on a Saturday afternoon. I had Lynda and my trucker block the intersections. One lady blew right past them and was quite indignant at me for blocking the road...... like thats where I really wanted to be on a Sat aft!! Jewels nice gesture to the fire folks, hope your world gets a little more back to normal. Carol you sound refreshed and renewed whats 2 weeks in a Lifetime of Running, you'll get back there!! Cindy will send you an email later in the week, like your training program today, got a little early carb loading in with the beers I see Wink

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Ultrachick

Cool quote-words I need to learn to live by-the first part anyway. I'm the first to admit whenever I'm wrong even if I'm not because I don't have the time or energy to argue. I've made it through another busy week and am looking at next week which is busy but not as busy-no car pool duty! Each kid is only going to one sport, I have a lunch date with a new business friend on Monday, I have a few personal training appointments I hope don't get cancelled on me and if all goes well I'll clear 1000 miles for the year this week! Cindy, your quesdillas and beer sounds yummy! Carol, I'm glad your vacation went well-it's great that after 20 years you still describe DH as amazing. Have a great week everyone! Kelly
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

jfa

Hi Kiddos- Great quote Cindy, thanks for starting us up.Sounds like the training regiment is nearly complete. Nice to find you and Hubster relaxing. Carol- Welcome back. Farm's right, there is no finish line. Downtime with your Hubster is more important. Glad you're feeling better. Jewels- That's really nice what you did for them folks. What a great family you have. Kinda choked me up. Smile Ditto to you for not running.You're excused this week! Kelly- amazing what you can get done .I'm through the "running kids around " stage as the youngest is now 17. I remember it well tho, it gets crazy. Farmer Jim- You and DW get the cross- training award for this week! Wow, that sure sounds like alot of work. Happy you're able to kick back some and take it easy . Race time is almost here....... Very physical weekend for me. Fri night was a very pleasant 7m in the drizzle at the reservoir on the way home from work. Yesterday's cross-training consisted of loading over a ton of old wet leaves and branches from my yard into a rental truck, hauling to dump, then unloading said truck. Today was 15m in the trails with my favorite four legged friend. Whew, comfortably numb and headed for bed!! Happy Monday Kids!!

Farmer Jim - I agree with Joe. You definitely get the cross training award. I was trying to follow what you were saying, and all I could think was, "Cripes, that sounds like a lot of physical work!" My hat's off to you and Lynda. Cindy - I don't know where I've been, but I didn't realize BB was this coming Monday. And you and Jim are meeting up?? Pictures, pictures, pictures, please!!!! Good luck to both of you! Carol - Glad you and Hub got to relax and enjoy each other. Belated Happy 20th Anniversary! Yes, I have to remind myself often that this running thing is suppose to be lifetime, so slow down and enjoy! Joe - Tons of yard work then a 15-mile run the next day? I'm thinking Kelly's not the only one in great shape. Kelly - When you say you've cleared 1000 miles for the year . . . is that since January??? Jewels - My heart goes out to all the folks down there who have lost their homes. I can't even imagine. Well, it's official. I'm the Probate and Estate Planning Legal Specialization Sections Chairman for Legal Secretaries, Inc. (www.lsi.org), for the next two years. That's a long title for, "You've got your work cut out for you." I'm really looking forward to it and hope I don't screw anything up. I may have already found a speaker for the regional meeting in September. Keep your fingers crossed. Now I just have to figure out how the quarterly newsletter is put together . . . We made it home in 6 hours yesterday, and that included about a 45-minute stop for lunch. I kept it at 70-75 the whole way home, and kept an eye out for the CHP. OH! I almost forgot!! I am so frigging happy!!!!! As I've told you guys in the past, it's up in the air as to how long my job is going to last because my bosses keep talking about retiring. It's been a huge weight on my shoulders, wondering if I'm going to find another job/place of employment that I like as much. It's been thrown around between my buddy, Denise, and I that it'd be nice if I could take over her position when she retires. She told me Saturday that she talked to her boss, and I have an open offer for a job there. Doesn't matter if Denise is retired or not, and I don't have to give them a specific date. When this job ends, they'll take me in over there. Specifics will have to be worked out at some time, but no rush. She told me at breakfast Thursday, and I started crying. I couldn't help myself. And to have it an open offer, no specific start date, that's incredible. Anyway, I had to share. Big grin

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Hey Leslie that's Great News for you!! Congrats to ya. Who needs those weights to carry around?! BTW-that's got to be the longest job title I have ever heard! Way to go!! How's our racer's doing?... Cindy? .....Hope Farm's not working too hard...... Confused

Ultrachick

When you bounce between 40 and 50 miles a week, it adds up pretty quickly. I need 50.2 miles this week to reach 1000 miles since January. I'm planning on 56m. Jack came up with my training plan for the Iroquois Trail 100 in September with me bouncing between 50-60 miles a week. I don't think that's enough to get ready for a 100 miler so I'm redoing it so that I bounce between 60-70 miles a week with a few strategically placed races along the way to gauge my training. He also had given me a day off before my long run where I like the idea of back-to-back long runs like this last weekend I ran 10 miles on Saturday and 21 miles on Sunday. Time was an issue on Sunday so 17 miles was on dirt roads and 4 miles of trails. My time was 3:19:52-trust me if it was all trails it would have been a lot slower! I wasn't in base training mode either-that also would have slowed me down. So it's all a big experiment-how much can I do and not get hurt and not slow down! Confused I'll keep you all posted...... Kelly
                  If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                    Cindy, I forgot to ask, do the dogs get quesadillas and beer too? Sounds like you are recovering nicely for the upcoming Boulder Bolder. R2, congrats on your 21 miles! Sometimes that OCD stuff can work in your favor. The work that goes into your farm is amazing, not just the physical part, but the thought that goes into it. My little garden in the back yard often seems like a daunting task, so I stick to simple stuff. But alas, we are enjoying fresh green beans aplenty right now. Kelly, girl, you don't have TIME to argue! Congrats on the 1K miles year to date! Our old trainer at the gym said the no-show rate for personal training is really high. Guess it just comes with the territory, but to me that is just rude and inconsiderate. Do you go to your clients, or do they come to you? Guessing that could make a lot of difference. Joe, you're not exactly slacking in the cross training department either. Your mileage is looking pretty high these days, but sounds like you're holding up well and even thriving. Here I am arguing with myself about whether to do a 3 mile route OR mow the yard this morning before starting to work. Hmmm. Leslie, that is AWESOME about the open job offer! I would imagine you apply the same energy and tenacity to your job that you do to running, so it's no wonder you are in demand. It's also amazing how we sometimes fool ourselves into thinking that our current jobs are the ONLY jobs. If you have a marketable skill and a good work ethic, there's a whole world of possibilities out there, and friends and colleagues are usually happy to help. Jewels, I'm so sorry that you and your neighbors have been so drastically impacted by the fires. Great that you could help them out. That's just the kind of thing that you never dream could happen. We just got back from the other side of Florida, and I was struck by how big the trees were compared to where we live. What a tragedy to lose pets, homes and forrest. Hopefully no people lost their lives, though they may have lost everything else. Reminds me that it's relationships that count so much more than "stuff" in the end. Katy the dog is getting impatient, so I guess it's time to take her out for a spin. The yard work will have to wait. Later 40 gators!

Top 'O the World!

Hey Gangsters!! Still beeeoootiful on the Front Range!!~ Mairead & I have 4.23 easy miles so far this am....thinkin' to hit the HL trail for a bit more after we drop GD off @ school in a few.....it's 57* humidity is a bit high though 63%....for here! Wink So much, so little time just now.... Yes, Leslie - the Bolder Boulder is this coming Monday (Memorial Day already!! Surprised ) gotta meet Jim & Lynda somewhere's neer the beer tent Big grin & the camera was my favorite part of the last "group run!" congrats on the new job!! both of 'em!? No, Carol - the dogs didn't get quesadillas & beer....Mairead is still a minor! & Misty doesn't like jalapenos! Big grin glad you got your vacation w/DH!!! Yay Joe! nice long easy trail runs w/Budster!!! NIIIIICE!! Smile Wink maybe we should consider some kind of a trail run for a 'gathering' !? Jim ~ looking fwd to meeting you guys!!! feeling guilty about not holding up my end of the cross training....grabbed a shovel & worked at a coupla juniper bush roots....gah! I hate clay!! back later......
                      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                        Cindy - Well, it goes without saying that I'd be more than up for a trail run gathering. Big grin Joe - The new title. Sounds much more impressive than it is. However, I'm told that margaritas a necessity at the planning meetings, so things can't be all bad! Carol - Consider mowing your cross-training. Wink Kelly - 50-60 mile weeks? 60-70 mile weeks? Holy Rutabaga, Ultrachick! How do you find the time?? I don't have kids and I don't know how I'd do it. Get up at 3:00 a.m.?? Confused (I don't think so . . .) Well, I am quite enjoying taper week. Today musta been one of my shortest workouts ever (besides when I didn't workout at all Roll eyes ). Five minute warm up/cool down, and in between did six 1-minute strides/intervals. It helped to do those on a treadmill this past weekend. I was able to play around with the speed and find a consistent pace that let me run hard but not kill myself. I felt like I was able to incorporate that new knowledge this morning. Well, I gotta make some reservations for August conference then get to work. You all have a great day!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hmmm....trail run gathering. Would have to do some different training for that one, but would be fun to get out and about with nature with you fun 40ish friends. Leslie, is your big event this weekend? Remind us of the details when you get a chance so we can cybercheer for you. Cool that Cindy and R2 and R2 wife will be meeting at BB Smile Whilst you kids are setting new distance PR's and such, I'm back at some very low and slow mileage. Have run/walked the last 3 mornings, twice with Katy the dog, and today with the hubby. He's not too keen on morning exercise, but with the summer heating up, pre-dawn is where it's at. So we were out the door this morning before 5:30. Coyotes frequent our park, and my big tough man was pretty nervous about a possible coyote encounter, but we didn't spot any today. I'll admit that the park is a bit spooky and dark in the mornings and I don't go there alone anymore before dawn, but when changing running schedules, it's good to know there is a bathroom nearby. Today is actually our "real" anniversary, so we're going out to dinner tonight. Since we already celebrated w/ the trip, we had agreed not to do presents or even cards this year. So neither of us remembered what day it was until we were having breakfast after our run. Well, time to hit the showers and get to work on my accounting job. I really like this working from home stuff Smile Also have to decide whether to take on a new pet sitting client. I've been turning new clients away lately and just serving the ones I aleady have, but got an intriguing call last night. To expand much more, I'm going to have to hire, and probably raise my rates, and I just don't know if I want to do that. It becomes more business and less direct interaction with the pets at that point, but that is the price of growth.
                            Good morning to everyone.... Good luck to all the weekend racers. Yes, pictures and great reports are mandatory. Good Luck and mostly just a have a great time. Leslie...For the past 20 yrs. or so I've pretty much done administrative type duties. Filing, bookkeeping, accounts payable/receivable. I'm an office manager at a Financial Firm. But....my "secret desire" was to work for an attorney/lawyer and do more legal type administrative work. I'm actually going back to school this summer! Gotta get to work so, happy runs to everyone doing 60 mile weeks to those on taper modes and to those just plugging away at it. I'm a plugger at the moment. Did get a run in yesterday though. Woohoo! Carol....if we chose a trail race that wasn't to technically difficult I think we could all do it without any big change ups in our training. We could find one that had a 10k, 20k, 30k and a 50k. That way everyone, no matter what there level, could pick the distance that suited them. No mountain climbing for me. But a few rolling hills might be doable. Leslie, look for a few for next year that would be enjoyable for all of us! O.K. now I really have to go......Jewels
                            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

3.1 out and back on the usual route, did some unintended " Kansas hill work" running against a 30 mph South wind on the way back. I felt slow and sluggish today. I still have this dream where I am up at this big local rodeo. I go to saddle my horse and the saddle just falls off. I go to get my boots out of the trailer and there is just one. My ropes are a mess and I just get one thing fixed and something else falls off and they are calling my name to compete. Well lately, I been having the running version of that dream. Last nite I got lost on the race course and the other nite it was something else and I even had the local girls track star come blowing by me like I was standing still in a dream (big writeup in local paper about her medaling at state track I read before bed)..... Then I had a turkey vulture make one circle sunday on my long run , that ones true, not a dream, hoping thats not an omen. Butterflies I presume. This wind is reeaaaaally messin' up my day but we will find something that needs fixed, filled or cleaned up. Leslie congrats on your new association title and cool you have a job when your attorneys retire. Are you Up this weekend also? Carol went to your pet sit website that looks really cool Cool.....so how much would you charge to come to Nebraska Wink Actually our german shepard stays with my dad when we are gone and they do "fun stuff", kinda like what we do at grandpa's house stays at grandpa's house. He swears she doesn't get on the furniture but we caught her snoozing on the bed in the guest bedroom while GP was sawing logs in his bed. Kelly that mileage is incredible have you ever done Leadville (trail 100) or plan on doing it? Thanks for the well wishes Jewels, I am gonna need it. Joe I'd be in traction if I tried to load a ton of leaves (thats why they make John Deeres Wink). Great job on the 15 miler. I bet the Budster has come to expect those run days!! Smile Cindy you guys ever done BB, we are kinda wondering bout parking and getting around. I see CU charges $20 to park at Folsom. Jim or Farmer Jim if you prefer Smile

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I prefer "Farmer Jim." Jim's too formal. Big grin Your dream cracks me up. When I have a running dream, I can't get going and I have to bend over and use my hands, as well, to get any kind of momentum. Luckily, in the dream last night, I was trying to run up a hill, so I didn't have to bend over too far. Tongue Jewels - Look in the phone book, do a Google search, call your local bar association, or contact someone in the court administrative office of your local courthouse and ask about a local legal secretaries or legal professionals association. They are extremely helpful, and some (at least in California) put on beginning legal secretary training programs. Here's our web site: www.hclpa.org. We're going to be putting together our first beginning leg sec program this next year. We have a real need for it in this area, as neither the community college nor the university have any type of legal education programs anymore. I love my job. I especially like working in the areas of probate and estate planning, and would only do family law or civil litigation if I couldn't find anything else. Family law is ugly, and in civil lit, there are too many deadlines that, if missed, could blow up a whole case. Too much pressure, but a know a few secretaries who love their civil lit jobs. Ugh! Carol - If you all are interested, yes, I will do some digging re easy trail runs in the middle of the country. They do exist. The Bizz Johnson Marathon I'm doing in October is a trail run, but basically on a flat, wide "road." Also, I know how hard it is to find good house/pet sitters. You sound like someone who cares more about the animals than almost anything else. Keep up the good work. Yep, my big run, the 50k, is this Sunday in Portland, OR, and I am trying really hard not to be nervous. One major problem has reared it's ugly head (boys - close your ears), my "time" hasn't happened yet this month, and you can bet dollars to donuts that it does in the next day or two, which will suck big time. It just absolutely wipes me out. But I'm usin' positive visualization as much as possible, and am looking forward to calling the Hub and saying, "I DID IT!!" Farmer Jim and Cindy - I'll be thinking about you on my drive home Monday. GOOD LUCK!! Well, my desk is loaded, so I should probably get something done. Happy Hump Day, Everyone!!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance