Masters Running

Thursdaily 10.11.18 (Read 38 times)

mrrun

Just a starter so all the lurkers have a place to click!  Post your runs, walks, swims, bikes and vents.

Hug your family and friends - life is short!

marj

coastwalker

Mornin' Marj & everyone.

Thanks for the 'motivation' yesterday, Jlynne, and the vent Fatozzig (someone had to do it), and the photo Tammy, and everyone else's workout tales.

5.8 miles in 55° temps with a light mist that gradually evolved into a light drizzle. My weather app said 7-8 mph winds, but along the water the flags were all just about out straight, so there were a few more mph's blowing around out there. Am I ready for Saturday's half marathon? Not hardly. I've been on the fence about going/not going for a couple of weeks. Now it's time to get off the fence. Stay tuned...

Have a greta Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Marj and Jay. Thanks for the start Marj. And yes, life is short. Went to see one of our older Y members yesterday. He has cancer and has one, maybe two weeks left. He was not in a good way when we visited him and my heart breaks to see people suffer like that.

So, what side of the fence did you get off on Jay?

Yesterday, it was 70° with rain and humidity. That front passed through overnight. This morning, it was 46° with 20 mph winds out of the NW. My Y buddy and I started out on our run, but after a few blocks she said "I'm not ready for this." So we headed back to the Y where it was warm (and light). An hour on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights, core and stretching. I debated about staying for a spin class but decided that would be cutting it too close to get to work. Another day.

I see Canada has made recreational marijuana legal? Or was it medicinal? Either way, I think I'll practice my Canadian "accent"

Have a good one folks.

The hotel gym is decent but warm.  I couldn’t get the hang of the curved treadmill and didn’t have time to waste, so I did 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical which was NOT the LifeFitness one that the hotel website said.  At least it was something.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BTY

Good Morning, Runners.

One post for last night's workout in the pool and today's workout in the gym.

Last night, my daughter, who is 20 and teaches little kids how to swim, taught me how to flip in the water, and then to do a flip turn.  Then when she swam a 500 yard workout, nice and easy like, I practiced.   I did about 25 attempts and left when I'd gotten 10 successful flip turns. I needed more time to get 10 flip turns than she needed to swim 500 yards, but who cares?   Not being able to do a flip turn without getting a gallon of water up my nose was always going to hold me back.  Tonight I'll be back in the pool to swim another mile, and it'll be interesting to see how much shorter the entire workout time is going to be, since 900 of the 1800 yards will be crawl stroke.   Not sure if I'll integrate the flip turn into the backstroke just yet.  

Today I did my stretching routine, then did pull downs and rows on a cable machine, barbell curls, hip adduction and abduction, dumbbell curls, biceps curls on the cable machine, and tried doing hip extensions on one of the pieces of selectorized equipment, which I haven't done in many years.  Went nice and light, and didn't do a lot of reps (only 10) but I'm feeling it in my low back this morning. In a good way, I think.   Everything listed was just 1 set.  I go high on the reps for abduction and adduction but because everything else in a low rep range (6-10) I'm done 30 minutes after I enter the gym.

anneb

Good morning! Our weather changed drastically, down about 25 degrees overnight so I woke up to 45 degrees with a strong, noisy (20mph) wind. Another 5-ish miles around the neighborhood for me in the dark. I actually quite like the 40's (just needed a reminder), wore capris and a long sleeve with a light vest and was good.

Have a great Thursday...

Anne

Parts of FL look like a war zone.   My nephew, who is a lineman, is going to be a busy man for awhile.

Tet - Nah, not Scrooge.  That stinks about the forest being removed.  The panhandlers and drug users - our little town is flooded with them, as well.

So I did it.  I succumbed and joined Planet Fitness.  Yesterday after work I did my first 20 min on the elliptical.  Heavens to Murgatroyd! My legs were a little wobbly when I got done, but it felt good.  Thankfully, there's a bank of TVs on the wall in front of the machines so I can try and distract myself from the boringness of it all.  My goal is at least 3x a week and work my way up from 20 min.

Today I rested.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Good Morning. having some coffee, waking up (how did I get to the office?!) and do a little light reading before I dive into my work for the day. Only working a couple hrs tomorrow and then it's company bowling day. so today is pretty much my day to get my work done because those couple hrs in the morning will most likely lack much productivity.

College-man David called us last night. He is pretty excited because he made the intramural tennis traveling team for at least this first tournament they are having. His college doesn't have a tennis team and anyone can play intramurals, but only the top so many get to play in the tournaments. For this particular tournament, it's the top 6 but normally only top 3, which will be much tougher and he says likely won't happen. But for this one, he'll enjoy the experience of playing against other college tennis players.

Going to have coffee with my parents tomorrow. Dad had a second bladder cancer surgery yesterday. Had one about a year ago but some of the cancer is back, so removed some cysts/polyps, or something in there. Not sure on all the details but I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning. Haven't seen them since they returned from their 3.5 wk trip to Spain and Med Cruise they took so looking forward to catching up. 

I'll run after work this afternoon. going to aim for 5-6 miles I think.  

Have  a good day masters!

Tammy

Hi Masters!!  Can't even pretend to be a lurker right now - feel like I have lost the past week!!  I got hit with the stomach bug (norovirus) last Sat night into Sunday and I can tell you I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!! It was awful - I was alone in my camper trying to get it closed for the off-season and lost the whole day Sunday. Fortunately I had done a lot Sat so when I woke up early Mon morning I was able to strip my bed, head to the laundromat and finish closing up. Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of it -- the dizziness and lightheaded feeling lasted thru Tuesday night and then I got a small cold sore, the start of a head cold and awful lower back pain. I feel like my immune system has totally let me down this week!! Hopefully I am at the turn around now.

Signed up for a Chi running workshop on Sat. - looking forward to that and hope to get in a workout soon!!

Stay away from the bugs!!!!!

denise

Congratulations on the new gym, Leslie. Good job on the elliptical. Do they have different kinds? I definitely have my preferences!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Congratulations on the new gym, Leslie. Good job on the elliptical. Do they have different kinds? I definitely have my preferences!

It looks like they're all the same.  . . . . it's a very yellow and purple environment. 

I'm in the middle of listening to a very exciting (not!) continuing ed program on Legal Ethics.  Thankfully it's audio and I can do other things - like actual work! . . . . or hang out in here a bit.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Deez, how miserable, I'm so glad you're better now that sounds awful.    Nothing for me today

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Jay, your comment about the "few more mph's blowing around out there" made me laugh.  We've been having that same mist and fog here. Yesterday we had a high of about 30 with the cold mist/snow/fog, so I bailed on a run.  I ran up and down my stairs (two floors) 30 times so I didn't feel so guilty about not running.

Today I met two friends for a morning trail run, which definitely helped get me out the door.  It was foggy and there was ice all over the trees and grass - very beautiful!  We did 5.6 miles at Apex Park, and then I headed over to another nearby park called Mt Falcon, where I've never run before, to do another 13 miles.  I figured if I get a long run in today, I won't feel bad if I don't have time this weekend - I'm heading out to Moab, Utah with my son-in-law to visit with his parents. They're flying to Salt Lake and renting a camper van, and exploring southern Utah for a week.  My DH is already out there and we'll meet up with him too.  Sadly, my DD has to work Friday and Monday, so she's not coming.  Her DH is off from Friday till Tuesday - he's a grad student and has a more flexible schedule. Looking forward to the trip!

Here's a picture of me with an icy pine branch:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

It's cold, here, in Minnesota!  37 dang degrees, this afternoon, and there were snow flurries, this morning.  I am not dealing with cold, very well, these days.

I went a total of 6 miles, today.  3.4 with a group from the team and 2.6 after they were done.  Even as cold as it was, I sure enjoyed those first 3.4 miles.  Have I ever told you how much I love those kids?

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

Oh, sure...while I'm typing and complaining about the cold and snow flurries--wildchild posts a picture like that!  I'm a wimp!

spacityrunner

Nice Wildchild!

It was cold here this morning...52f   I am loving this new fall weather!!!!!

Filled in for one of the leaders at the Spa Festival running clinic tonight.  Worked with the beginner 10k...I brought up the rear.  I'm going to have to go out and get a good long run in.  4 miles....in FOREVER!!!   but it is nice to help the newbies out.

Got my hoka stinsons in tonight..have to try a smaller size.  the 8.5 are a bit loose but the 8's might be too small.  We'll see!

Trails Rock!