Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 10.22.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Saturday’s workouts:
    Tomwhite (40 min PoolRun with letters)
    Jlynne (5 morning miles + 30 min weights & core)
    Dave 12.3 not terrible morning miles)
    Catwhoorg (11 miles with 5 +/- at HM pace)
    Mike (16 early morning miles with rain in 1:54:36 + team speed workout)
    Holly (12.1 miles after poor night’s sleep)
    Surly Bill (6.5 mixed paved/trail miles at 8:45 pace)
    Opus77 (5 morning miles at 8:59 pace with “off” calf)
    Quickadder (6 miles pacing the end of a 25K)
    Spacityrunner (trail half with significant hillage in 3:48)
    Wildchild (21 early AM miles with the trail sisters, celebrating a friend’s birthday, with temps going from high 20’s to 40)
    Falconfixer (Ironclad Half Marathon in 1:37:00 for 17th OA)
    Fatozzig (2+ running/walking miles)

Some great runs, and impressive long runs and races yesterday - Congrats to you all!

Congrats in the hot water heater install, Opus. I missed the meteor shower yesterday morn. With my cap on for my workouts, and with my head who-know’s-where, I rarely focus on the sky unless I’m looking for something, and I didn’t know about the meteor shower.

Thanks for volunteering, Quickadder, and congrats to your DD on a great race, especially in H&H weather.

Love your enthusiasm for your trail half, Spacityrunner! Well done!

Great 21 miler with the group, Wildchild.

Great race report, and a great race, Falconfixer. Congrats on great focus throughout. Sometimes, maybe, maybe not, we add a fashion report to our race reports so everyone will know how you dressed for a particular race on a particular day. Why? I dunno. And, as Twocat said, photos are always welcome too.

Yesterday, I wore myself out with monthly conservation commission site walks, a farmer’s market visit, shopping at Trader Joe’s, working on my picture post, dividing and transplanting some daylilies, blowing some leaves around, and cooking a great dinner with DW. But I got a decent night’s sleep, and so got up at the usual time and headed out in 52° temps for 11.76 RW miles. DW declared that I'm as ready for next Sunday's half as I'm going to be, so it must be so.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning.  5.6 miles- it gets light really late here in this part of the time zone in Dallas.  Did it!  Good running yesterday, all.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Was thinking rest day, but a large quantity of ice cream (my weakness) last night while watching the game convinced me that I needed to get out for a few miles.  Got in 4 at 8:50 pace, so a decent, if short sweat.  Then walked all 4 dogs (my 2 + DS's and DD's).  Neighbors must think I'm nuts.

Quick - congrats to DD.

Falcon - nice RR.  Sounds like a nice race and that the RD is trying to make it better.  Also, word must be getting out as it sounds more competitive.  I may have to put it on the list next year.  Both of my fellow coaches' times beat my PR though, so no AG awards for me if the 3 of you are still around!

Coastwalker - you sound busy!  Well done on the near 12 miler.

KSA - hello. Glad you got in some miles.

Better go.  DD is coming by to spend the night since she's working in town here tomorrow.  If the house isn't clean, I'll hear about it!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Opus--we know you're nuts, that's why you're here (and a runner) I do miss having a dog--saw a lot more of the neighbors while out walking.

Jay--very smart to listen to DW.  You sound ready to me, too.

Just got an adaptor to let me plug in my garmin directly into my tablet and then had to fight with the driver for about a 1/2 hour.  But finally able to download 6 backed up runs to add to my paltry Oct. total.  back to being in the office for a bit, xo hope to get out in the mornings again.  3.1 slow miles on Friday and 3.8 not quite as slow miles around the lake.  Absolutely gorgeous fall weather--52 and sunny.  This is a good reason why it makes the NE winters worthwhile.

Good racing yesterday and hope the MCM folks do (did?) well today.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

I'm always amazed at how Carolyn nonchalantly reports a 21 mile "fun run" with friends, which would be amazing enough without adding that she does it all above 9,000 feet (sometimes well above). Nice job.

Quick, so you referred to a 50k and a 25k and some runners "only" doing 30 miles? Or did I mis-read that? Since a 50k is 31 miles, I'm not sure I got the jist of it. But nice to pace your DD and glad she beat her goal, that's always nice!

Liz, you trail running beast, you! Nice work there, and sounds like you had fun!

Falcon, that's a speedy half for a training run! BTW, what was your Gold Discovery Run time back in 2012?

Nice run/walk, Leslie! I sure hope you can work up to getting back to what you love.

Jay, we went out to see the meteor shower and even with a clear sky, didn't see anything. And yep, I think you're ready!

Waiting for news from Deez and PBJ... Someone mentioned someone running the Pig recently, but that's in May so not sure what's up with that.

Ok, so I did get out for a run yesterday! Wanted to stick close to home, so that means hills. To get the mileage, I do some out-and-backs on the straight sections. I'm sure our neighbors sometimes say, "there she goes again!" as I go by for the 4th time...

https://www.relive.cc/view/g15034211995

Today will be something along the bikepaths as they looked pretty good on our drive into town yesterday afternoon. It should get into the low 20's today (it was about 17° for my run yesterday, but very sunny).

Henrun

Another beautiful weekend here. Spending time both days on the Charles. Yesterday we watched a bit of the annual rowing regatta-Head of the Charles. Today I struggled but ran 4.3 slow miles along the river admiring the sailboats while Marj took DGD in search of Halloween costume. My struggle probably was due to fatigue. We got home late last night after attending the Boston Symphony and enjoying a costume performance of Grieg’s Peer Gynt.

Quickadder

Evan, nice catch on the distance conversion or it would be if the 50K was actually 50K. Even the RD knows the course is longer than that - there is an 8 mile marker well before the end of the 12.5K lap. The course twists and turns through the woods and messes with GPS so everyone gets different distances, mostly between 34 and 38 miles instead of 31.

That, together with temperature high of 88F feel like 93 due to the humidity, resulted in only 8 runners completing the 50K within the 8 hours limit.

My DD ran the 25K. Pacers were not permitted in the 25K. I paced the final 6 miles or so for the guy that was 2nd in the 50K.

Woke up this morning to thunder and lightning, heavy rain and strong gusts of wind, so today’s run was postponed at best. Still raining and I understand that is covered by Rule #1.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Jay - If the Wife says it, it's truth!

About 2.5 miles in about 33 min this a.m., with much more running jogging than walking.  It feels so good to be out there again.

I'm about fed up with my Garmin 310xt.  It's an expensive piece of $%*@.  Besides other issues I've had with it since my purchase about 3 yrs ago, it now is (A) not holding a charge and (B) turning on when I hook it up to the charger.  If The Hub hadn't been home, it probably would have been slammed on the floor (it's the little things that send me over the edge sometimes).

I finally got it into charging mode when I hooked it up directly to my desktop.  Not sure if that's what did it or if it finally decided to cooperate.  I've done the hard resets, etc.  It's just a crap product.  Once I have the money saved up, I'll probably buy something else, but I don't know what.  My requirements are (A) it needs to hold a charge for about 10 hrs and (B) it needs to track mileage well through trees.  The rest is just fluff (although I do like that it gives me my average elevation gain/loss).

Okay - Off to do transcription!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just dropping, in real quick, to report my 6 mile run.  It sure is nice, here, today.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

spacityrunner

I like my Garmin 230.

I'm about fed up with my Garmin 310xt.  It's an expensive piece of $%*@.  Besides other issues I've had with it since my purchase about 3 yrs ago, it now is (A) not holding a charge and (B) turning on when I hook it up to the charger.  If The Hub hadn't been home, it probably would have been slammed on the floor (it's the little things that send me over the edge sometimes).

I finally got it into charging mode when I hooked it up directly to my desktop.  Not sure if that's what did it or if it finally decided to cooperate.  I've done the hard resets, etc.  It's just a crap product.  Once I have the money saved up, I'll probably buy something else, but I don't know what.  My requirements are (A) it needs to hold a charge for about 10 hrs and (B) it needs to track mileage well through trees.  The rest is just fluff (although I do like that it gives me my average elevation gain/loss).

Trails Rock!

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Surly Bill – good news on the kidney stone.

Quickadder – great racing for your DD!

Spacityrunner – great job on your trail almost-HM!

Carolyn – Brr!

Falconfixer – that is a fast HM – well done!

Twocat – glad you made it home.

Erika – you should really think about running the Pig. I know you don’t like spring marathons, but this one is pretty late – first week in May - and you could stay at my house if you wanted (not luxury, but it would cut costs) or a local hotel and then ride down with me, or, like Twocat, get a hotel in downtown Cincinnati and enjoy the city. You still need Ohio, right?

All day lacrosse tournament for DD today, so I ran during the breaks between the games.  What a beautiful day, glorious sunshine and temps in the 70's. This was probably the last day of the year we will have a day like this, as a cold front is moving in tonight and taking us to more seasonal weather.

10.8 miles total for me.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spacityrunner

3 miles recovery run around the neighborhood.  60f gray cloudy skies and a bit of a breeze made for a pleasant run.  13 m/m and I sure wish I could make my legs go faster.

Trails Rock!

Tramps

Thought I'd pop in to see MCM results.  Nothing yet?

We went cycling out near the Blue Ridge mountains as part of the Fall Foilage festival out there.  About 63 miles yesterday and 57 miles today. Perfect weather and stunning scenery throughout.  Lots of rolling farmlands with the Blue Ridge mountains on the horizon. Routes were challenging (almost no flats) but not overwhelming. The total elevation gain was about 4000 feet each day. Fall colors were not peaking everywhere but there were some amazing areas.  I really think this is the most beautiful part of Virginia.  Well worth a ride if you ever get the chance.  This ride also has a tradition of local groups (churches, the 4H club, etc) staffing rest stops with TONS of homemade food of all sorts. I probably gained 5 pounds. Memorable rides.

Be safe. Be kind.

catwhoorg

Labrat

7 and change easy paced.

Tapering starts now for next weekend.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

10.5 and hard.

(that's what she said...)

Ran up mt Tamalpais from Mountain Home area, 1500' gain in 5 miles, most of it the last 4. Came back down another route. All dirt roads and trails. Beautiful views of SF, the mountains to the North, and the ocean. The smoke from the wildfires has dissipated a lot, and the winds are blowing it East instead of down to the Bay Area.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying