Masters Running

Tuesday Dec. 8 Master Runs, Workouts (Read 396 times)

I had a very nice run this morning of 8 miles with 3 miles at Marathon Pace - 8:34, 8:29, and 8:14.  The HR stayed nice and low too (even during the part where I "Mastered" a young guy who ventured onto my path).

Getting "Mastered" is similar to getting "Chicked" but by an old guy.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, gang!

Way to go Bill!  I "mastered" another gal yesterday morning, and I didn't even know it ;-).

And for our Mariposai:

Wish the photo was better quality, but the tree is still pretty impressive.

It looks like there's a significant storm headed our way (my sympathies to the central part of the country getting stormed today), so I thought I'd better take advantage of the dry weather this morning.  It was 4 degrees warmer than yesterday - a balmy 34 degrees - but the wind was whipping, so it felt colder.   7.5 hilly miles @ 10:14 and 152 AHR. 

SteveP - I enjoyed your race report - has Tag forgiven you yet??

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Good morning good people.  Way to "master" that young whippersnapper on your run this morning, Bill. I only wish I could run one mile at your MP.

Beautiful picture Sue. That's the Rockefeller Center tree, yes? There must be a zillion lights on that thing! A great run for you in "balmy" temps this morning.

Like Sue, I took advantage of the last day of "dry streets" and did 6 miles, 9:54 pace.  They're predicting a winter storm starting this afternoon. 12 to 14 inches of snow with high winds - just the way I like it! I'm thinking "snow day" tomorrow and no school.

Mary - I hope everything is going okay at home. I looked at your website - your bottles are beautiful.  If people order, will you be able to ship before Christmas?

Stress relieving hugs to Eliz and anyone else with overfilled schedules these last few weeks before Christmas (that would be you too, Holly  ) Keep running - you know it makes you feel better!

Going to check on snowbrushes and shovels now... Have a great day everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Byll – “masterfully done”...  

Sue – beautiful picture!

Jlynne – 12-14” of snow!  Yikes!  We’ll be getting mostly sleet and freezing rain out of this storm, as it seems to be moving in with a short warmish front.  The drive home today (and then to my tax training) should be interesting

32° with a light breeze this morning, and for the first time this season, it didn’t feel very cold to me.  Maybe I’m acclimating...

1.5 mile WU with 3 x 60-second striders,

followed by three tempo miles at 8:20, 8:17, 8:11, (feels more like 5k pace than tempo, lol)

then 3.5 miles which included 3 x 60-second striders and

4 x 30 bounding leaps up my hill.

8 miles total.

Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Thanks Sue. That must be a sight to behold!!!! Here is what the tree looked like when they were working on it just three weeks ago.

Perch, how is tory doing today? {{{tory}}}

Eliz, good luck with your concerts {{{eliz and her busy schedule this week}}}}

Another fun paiting day for me. The project of painting just one wall has expended to all the walls. Well, the job should be finish by tomorrow, I hope. I will run later.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mary - I hope everything is going okay at home. I looked at your website - your bottles are beautiful.  If people order, will you be able to ship before Christmas?

Definitely YES!     

Nothing to report today other than mom is feeling better.    Dottie did not win a bed for our humane society but I truly appreciate all of you that voted!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

So, Holly goes to tax school, Nono redoes her wallpaper and MariP. paints her house?

I'm a slacker, 1st class.

Tights came out this AM, it was 27*F out...sproinky 7-mile progression from 9:03 to 6:55 m/m....1/2 mile WD.

I've been handplaning the top to the table I'm making: it's quite a workout in itself.

I have Popeye forearms now.

Walt

No run for me yet after a rest day yesterday. I am doing a hill run with a group tonight at 6. I am really looking forward to this group run. The Fleet Feet in Rochester has a Winter Warrior program where they do three different group runs every week. I haven't done much group running, so I am looking forward to meeting some other local runners. I haven't been a total slacker today though, I did post my race report from the weekend!

Bill- I like the term "mastered." When my wife and I go cycling and she spots someone she wants to pass she says "toast" and off we go!

Henrun

Nice 5.5 mile run in the sun this morning and voted in Mass.'s senatorial primary (to replace the seat left vacant by the death of Sen. Kennedy. The polling booth was less than 1/2 mile from home, so it was easy to interrupt my run, vote and head home.    

Sad news about a local runner. Larry Olsen (63) one of the fastest 60 year-olds in the nation died of a heart attack while running yesterday . He consistently beat Bill Rogers in races the last few years. Runners in MA. knew his reputation and he was coach of a nearby high school cross-country team.

TammyinGP

Beautiful tree!

I went to the gym after work last night and ran 4 on the TM. First time I've done that in a long time.  Tuesdays are my normal track night with Laura but I won't be able to do that tonight. This is a super busy week for me as it is my son's bday on Friday, so we have a family dinner that evening and then his bday party with friends on Saturday afternoon and then having a Christmas party at our house for the parents of the kids on Sat evening. And then Thursday night is his Christmas program at school also. So, I pretty much only have tonight and tomorrow night to prep whatever things I can for the weekend. And if I clean my house tonight and get it done early, I wonder if it's possible it'll stay like that until the wknd?

We are having Erika type weather here this week. An artic front has moved down and our nights are in the teens and the days only in the mid 20's. And as I was finishing up my shower this a.m., the water suddenly stopped. Apparently, I had used all that was in the tank and the pipes were frozen. So, DH is off to find a small heater that he can keep in our well/pump house at night.

I brought my running stuff with me to work today and will layer up and head outside for a run at lunch. I think it's much too cold to worry about sweating today.

have a good day all!

Tammy

"morning! 

I love Tag--such a dog's dog.  Did you see the movie "Up," Steve?  The dogs talk, and they are just too funny.  I love it that they'll be having conversations, and right in the middle of a sentence will interject "squirrel!" with enthusiasm, then go on with the conversation.

Karin, 6:50 pace on the HC Run, wow.  Congrats.  I would love to do that race--I hired the RD, Jen Dieringer, into the Domestic VIolence program we ran under the auspices of an AmeriCorps grant.  Attorneys represented victims in civil legal matters for about $15,000 per year and some loan forgiveness.  Just wanted to mention it to show there are a lot of dedicated, compassionate AND very talented lawyers out there who work for something other than the $$ line.

Hi Mari! 

We're having a cold snap--single digits and I am wussing out, hitting the treadmill at the Y.  At least I can enjoy the other folks there!  I also get in a half mile of walking to and from in the cold. 

Condolences, Henrun and Marj.  Congrats beleatedly on your runs from the weekend.  I'm following the election via the Globe, of course (as well as the JBay talks!)

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                        evanflein

Hey Tammy, that is similar to our weather lately! But we're basking in it! Actually it seems to be cooling down a bit, it was 6° on my way into work today. Our highs today will be from maybe 10° in the valleys and up to mid-30's in the hills. The radio dude said up to 40 in the hills, but I'm not believing that. Temperature varies so much around here depending on elevation, my house is at about 780' and is usually a lot warmer there than in town.

What a project that tree must be! I'd never want a tree that requires scaffolding to decorate, but it sure is pretty!

Beautiful table, Walt. What sort of staining will you do for it? What's the wood? I think you said at first but I can't remember. No power tools? You are quite the craftsman.

Mariposai, I have some painting that needs to be done...

45 minutes of pool running last night. Lots of splashing going on with the kids from the swim team using flippers and doing kick drills, and the sloppy guy in the next lane doing his floundering butterfly. I love being in the pool when it's quiet, but it seems a hard thing to find after work. Gym day today at lunch so I'll elliptical and throw some weights around.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - how's the foot feel?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Single digits here again today, and breezy, so too cold for a RAL.  I did a search for gyms/fitness centers near the office, and found one about a mile away. They had a free trial coupon, so I printed it out and went to give it a try, but couldn't find the place!  I drove back to work and called them (should have done that in the first place) and the map on their website is wrong.  It said they were in the mall but they're a block south.    I might try again tomorrow but it's predicted to warm up to the 20's so I'd really rather run outside.

Byll, if a masters woman passes someone, did the person get "mastered" or "chicked?"

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

dg.

Carolyn, I was wondering about your weather when I took off this morning.   Too bad about the stoopid map!

Henrun & Marge... also belated congatulations.    I meant to send some yesterday.  

Such sad news about Larry Olsen... did you know him well?

(((Erika's foot)))

Holly, how's you tooth?  

just a quick post, one of those days.  7.07 miles this morning with 400 meter intervals.   9.48 overall, not bad but not great.  max pace 7:47.  I did get to see Daaave, he usually does intervals or sprints on Tuesdays, when I'm usually going my slowest.   Phew.  But he's doing so well, got first in AG, second Masters in a 5K last Saturday.   I'm so happy for him, he's worked through so many injuries.  

ok, off I go.