Masters Running

Falmouth Road Race (Read 257 times)

so - trying not to whine too much, but this is not my typical RR --- i was not my usual happy self - i went to Falmouth with 2 of my running buddies from work.........i drove down from the campground in Maine early, but unfortunately my 2 friends had unexpected delays and we ended up getting to the Cape much later than we should have...........because of that, the traffic we sat in on the canal to get to Falmouth was unbearable --- it got to one point where i had to have one of my friends take over the driving because i just couldn't deal anymore...........not a great start to the weekend by the time we got to the expo everything was breaking down - not fun - and then we had to make the awful drive back to Plymouth where we were staying --- that was a sore point of the weekend --- one of our other work friends had made the reservations and then backed out because she didn't get a number, another friend who was planning on going with her family also backed out because of schedule conflict --- so the 3 of us who went without families ended up staying at this place way too far away from Falmouth much to our dismay - and on top of that the hotel was less than desirable --- location was beautiful -- right on a cliff on the ocean in Plymouth, but the first room they gave us smelled awful - there was no way we were sleeping in there -- they gave us a different room and it was ok so we stayed -- at that point our only choice would have been to drive 1 1/2 hours to my in-laws house and bunk with them since all of the Cape was sold out it seemd (i made several phone calls) anyway -- we had a nice dinner and went to bed early and hoped sunday would be a better day!! well, we had to leave Plymouth early to get to the busses that take you to Woods Hole for the race start --- it took so long and there was so much traffic right in Falmouth that we were on the last group of busses to get to the start!! not beginning so well!! and after all the rainy, cloudy, cool days we have had in New England - Sunday was bright sun, high heat and high humidity -- go figure!! by the time we hit the pre-race port-a-potties they were already starting the national anthem and it was soooo crowded we couldn't even make it to our color corrals so we started pretty far back in the pack - doesn't really matter much to me since i'm more of a mid-packer anyway (one of my friends is MUCH faster so it was so good for her), but people were walking before the first mile and i'm not talking speed walking - the crowds were way more than i anticipated too -- i guess they allow 10,000 runners - it's a lottery system and charity numbers -- but those roads are pretty narrow to handle that many people the spectators and the views were amazing tho!! the crowd support was just awesome -- so many people out with their hoses spraying runners that wanted to get wet -- it was that hot of a day that it felt great and the view of the ocean at different portions of the run are breathtaking!! oh -- i had another garmin issue at the start --- i know it said charging complete when i put it in my running bag sat. morning but when i turned it on -- "low battery" and it turned off right when i got a satellite -- i am so not happy about that because i didn't even think to wear a back up watch!! grrrrrrrrr anyway -- my time was 1:10:13 for 7.1 miles -- pretty much what i anticipated being my longest race since my back issues after the 20 miler in March - i actually would have been happier to do sub 10 minute miles but considering the heat, humidity and crowds i was ok with this - right now i'm still trying to concentrate on adding miles to my workout and not speed -- i've never been very fast anyway i had my MVS red singlet on and saw a few fellow MVS runners along the way so that was fun - we hung around for some post-race refreshments and then walked back to our car, did a quick change out of wet clothes then walked about a mile to an Irish pub in Falmouth centerwhere the food (and cold beers) was DELICIOUS!! unfortunately i was wearing new leather sandals and i have blisters that could put some of my previous running blisters to shame!! but the good thing is my back felt and feels great!! so - although the day didn't totally meet my expectations, i am very glad i can say i ran Falmouth - last year i had to defer my number because of a leg injury but had a great time volunteering! i think from now on i am going to avoid Cape Cod races in the summer -- just can't deal with the traffic issues --- i'd like to run the Beach to Beacon that Bob ran instead -- will have to try and register for that early next year!! i'm also thankful just be able to run and feel good after and am thankful for the company of good friends!! life is good!!

denise

King of PhotoShop

It's one of those novelty races that gets taken over by the masses. There are several around the country now. You go because it's an "event" not a race. See Dicky's report about Peachtree. So now you have it behind you and you can say you went. Heck, it was mobbed when I ran it in the 80's! Hope you get back into real racing soon and feeling upbeat about it. Sorry it didn't live up to its expectations. Spareribs
      nowor

What a tough weekend, but your back felt good, you saw other MVS, and enjoyed some cold beers. I'm impressed by all the silver linings you found in a congested and hot weekend. A few years ago a friend who lives in Falmouth ran the race. (I think Falmouth residents get preference.) Her report was just like yours-crowded, narrow roads, and way too hot. Run once, never again.
          That was quite the weekend, deez. In spite of all the problems, your time for the race was good. It's neat that your back felt good. It sounds that, on balance, you enjoyed the weekend with your friends. Good job. TomS
          coastwalker

Hi Denise, With all the delays and frustrations of the weekend, and the heat and humidity and crowds on race day, you did great! You ran the race, enjoyed the views and meeting some fellow MVS-ers, had some delicious post-race treats, and found out that your back held up great. Maybe I'm getting jaded, but I try to stay away from huge races like Falmouth. I've done enough big races to have a real appreciation for the charm and simplicity of smaller, local races. Maybe the amenities aren't quite so grand, but I think that's a reasonable trade off. Now, as Ribs said, you can say that you've done Falmouth, and you can look for a less-congested race for your next outing, and focus more on running the way you want to run. Congrats on having a very good day, despite all the obstacles before and during the race! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

i'd like to run the Beach to Beacon that Bob ran instead -- will have to try and register for that early next year!!
              Well at least you can say you ran this one, and look at the bright side...your back doesn't hurt! Now that's good news. As far as the Beach to Beacon goes you'll want to pay close attention to when the sign up is for that one next spring as if filled up in 25 hours this year and alot of people (some very good runners) didn't get in because they figured they had a few days to take care of registering. I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes next year but we'll have to wait and see what happens. Good job anyways Denise and remember how fast you are doesn't really matter it is all relative. Hope to see you Saturday at the OOB Breakaway 5K. Cool
              Henrun

Deez, you did well on a hot,humid day in a "novelty race", as Ribs said. I did it once in the early years and Marj would like to it once. Getting to the cape in the summer is no picnic. B.toB. is also getting to be a huge event but access is much easier. You'll do well once you get into a reasonably attended race.

Marathon Maniac #957

(...banging my head on desk....) What a lot to go through to get to a race - how stressful!
                  but the good thing is my back felt and feels great!!
                  At least there's that.... Smile Great job in the face of adversity!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Denise, you should definitely do the Beach to Beacon next year! Last year, registration opened (online ONLY) on March 15. Oh, in answer to your question, I'm in North Yarmouth, about a 40-minute drive from OOB. I don't go very often, because I prefer quieter beaches, such as Crescent or Popham. Mainerunnah, I thought they did a good job of warning people to register quickly. People have to pay attention.
                      Denise - nice job given all of the adversities. Good to hear your back isn't giving you problems - that is definitely a plus. Thanks for sharing!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

wildchild

Carolyn

Denise, that sounds like it would have been a lovely location for a small race, but just doesn't work for a big race. Glad you found some positive outcomes and made some lemonade from the lemons!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

DickyG

Denise... Well I, for one, think you did great...I know you've had some injury problems and Falmouth is a mob scene and all that...but there's just something about sharing the experience with all those other runners. I've run the Peachtree for 31 years now and like Ribs said, it's more of a happening than a race...Falmouth, Bay to Breakers, etc. are similar. But I wouldn't miss it for the world. Well done... DickyG
                          SteveP

It's good you put the frustrations behind you as you put one foot in front of the other!!! Stoopid blisters.

SteveP

Tough way to start off the journey to a race! I too have had Garmin issues like yours. For reasons I cannot explain it sometimes turns itself on and then proceeds to discharge it batteries. They really need to fix the software so that it turns itself OFF and STAYS OFF (here that Garmin developers!) automatically if it is not being used for 15 minutes or so. Anyway, as you said the bright spot was you COULD run the race and it sounds like you had a great time doing so and then enjoyed the post-race festivities. As they say all's well that ends well! Smile

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

huskydon

Deez, Boy, the whole trip sounds super stressful to me. Well, you did it with a reasonable time, and you can move on. Like many here, I really like the smaller races and feel like I helping them with my support. Very good that your back is feeling good. huskydon