Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 8.2.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday's workouts:

Dave (3 foggy morning miles in the park)

RunnerKSA (4 miles done)

Tramps (21 morning bike miles)

Jlynne (5+ muggy morning miles)

Henrun (1+ morning miles)

TrekkieLianne (50 min tempo run)

Twocat (6X1000 intervals, over goal times)

Catwhoorg (8.6 miles, incl. 20 min at tempo pace)

Tomwhite (40 min poolrun + 1X10 min)

Rochrunner (28.8 tough bike miles with the old-timers group)

Holly (5.4 morning miles with hoofprints before 4 mile family hike)

Wildchild (6.5 afternoon neighborhood miles)

Lot of driving, indeed, Dave, for the benefit of your GD and other family. You're a good man. Stay awake!

You're right about the deer stare-down, Tramps. Nice mileage on the bike.

Sounds like a great birthday weekend, Jlynne. You've earned it.

Busy day with the GD and stuff for Marj & Henrun.

Welcome back, Trekkie. Which Fall halfs are you doing?

I'll pass on the extra deer, Twocat. The ones we have are already eating our hostas and hydrangeas and sedum. Bummer about the intervals, but you'll bounce back.

Nice school break schedule, Cat. We don't have any kids, so I don't know how it compares either.

Nice hard ride witth the group, Rochrunner. Enjoy your rest day today.

I'm very sorry about Ryan's dog, Mike. Tough way to lose one. How'd it go with Eric?

Tet, I've only seen one moose in this neck of the woods, but there are plenty in northern NH.

Great job of getting DH out on the hike, Holly, and spectacular pics. Too bad DD wasn't feeling well.

Good luck to DH on his stress test, Wildchild. I hope he gets some answers.

I woke a little late this morning, so only had time for a quick 4.4 RW miles in 63 muggy degrees. But it was good to be out there.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Ran another 3 this morning at the park.  62° and no fog today.  Pretty comfortable actually.  There will still be some hot, humid days but we're are past the middle of July which is statistically the worse time for that.

President Trump is coming to town tomorrow (Huntington, WV) and the supporters and protesters are getting ready.  The downtown (such as it is) will be pretty much shut down tomorrow.  (I think I've made my opinion clear on what a big waste of time I feel political rallies and marches are so I won't beat that dead horse again.  Although by saying I won't do that I actually am in reality doing it.   )

Holly - We went to Cincinnati for some activities because it is close (3 hours) and we have good friends there who we stayed with so it was a win for Annabelle and for us.  Annabelle was a coaster maniac.  No fear at all on the biggest of rides.  My kids got into the big rides at about her age (9), but they at least showed some uncertainty about trying them the first time.  I got sick as a dog twice. Once on a spinning ride and once on a roller coaster.  I have been to Cedar Point (many times), Kings Island, and multiple Six Flags without ever having trouble.  Maybe I crossed further into the "old man" stage of life.

4 miles.  Boy, it can be hard to get out there!

2 miles after work on the treadmill.       4 + 2 =  6

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

pfriese

This is the 3rd & last rest day before getting back on to the bike & heading into the Rockies. I'm ready to get out there & ride. It almost feels like I'm in a marathon taper.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - you are braver than I am, foe sure...

Paul - I see lots of bikers riding up these mountains and am in awe.

6.1 miles for me today.

Now we are off to do some horseback riding.

Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave, I'm with you on the coaster thing, even though I was a fanatic in my teen and 20s years. The last time we took my DS to Cedar Point (or maybe it was King's Island), I got a headache from my brain being tossed around inside my skull, or at least that's how it felt. That was my last time!

Did a session of weights at Planet Fitness this morning. This afternoon we're going to run some errands and my DW suggested we stop by the car dealer where I'm scoping out our next vehicle purchase. This is a very fraught situation! My DW has ZERO tolerance for car salesman, and all it takes is an iota of disrespect or condescension and she'll not be back! Not that that's a bad thing as long as I can get what I want. :-)

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Paul's a cycling animal!  I hope you'll share some details when you get back.

So glad to see Holly get to hike in those gorgeous surroundings.  Beautiful pics.

((Mike)) Tough day in the parenting business.

Dave--I'm always grateful that some people still care enough to stand up.

Yep, lots and lots of moose in northern NH where I grew up. Those things are massive up close.  And they often stink.

A nice little article today no why running is so good for older women.

Exercise and core work day for me.

Be safe. Be kind.

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 at lunch.

Brought the bike and the forecast looks good so should get a ride in later

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Maybe I crossed further into the "old man" stage of life.

me too.

It was the last day of the sparsely-populated state fair when I made it around okay with then 9-yo DS and I alone in a four-person capsule on some ride (Hurricane?) circling like a ferris wheel ride but much faster and with the capsules simultaneously doing their own spinning around.  Unfortunately for the fair food in my stomach, DS said, "yay" when, lacking too many riders that last day, the operator asked DS if he wanted to go around again.  I've also enjoyed the more leisurely-paced Big Wheel ferris wheel on the Seattle waterfront with DGS but definitely got a little queasy perched this time high up over Puget Sound as other passengers loaded below us.

Image result for big wheel seattle images.

Good job Holly.

Beautiful photos

Don'cha wanna just stay and walk everywhere you can see,

down to the lake in the valley, up the next ridge, etc.?:

What's a guy supposed to do when it's already 70o at 6am

and the sun is trying to burn through the haze drifting

down from forest fires in British Columbia?

Why, of course, take a morning 5'er walk

across the lake I've been missing for a while.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

rochrunner I have never understood people getting in a huff over however a salesman behaves. I am just there to buy whatever it is for as a low a price as possible. If the salesman is a total jerk but has the lowest price what do I care? Just sell me the thing and we likely will never see each other again. This is a commercial transaction, not a commitment to friendship. Fortunately, my DW feels pretty much the same way which makes it easier for us to negotiate deals of various sorts.

Dave59 so are you going to the rally or the protest? 

Holly S. glad your DH went on the hike.

Mike E never easy to lose a pet especially to a freak accident like that.

tetsujin209 when are you selling your umbrella?  As to my running partner talking politics. I do not mind that so much. It is just that these party propaganda emails have her all wound up. Over things that are almost certainly never going to materialize!  I just cannot fathom how she cannot see the propaganda for what it is: something to wind the base into a frenzy. Why let someone do that to you?

wildchild I hope they get to the bottom of your DH's problems and that it turns out to be an easy, not very serious fix.

TrekkieLianne you bailed on a HM due to rain. You are my kind of gal! As rule #1 in the runner rule book says, "No running in the rain!"©

Today was a day off from running for me. Just an hour on the elliptical. Tomorrow I have my first 20 mile run of this training cycle on tap. I sure hope it is a nice morning!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hey friends!! Sorry I just can't seem to get back in a regular rhythm of posting on the daily. I do try to read up when I can, but haven't even logged in my July miles yet. Been spending as much time as possible in Maine but work does have a way of limiting that time!!

Today 4.1 soupy miles before work, then walked the 1 mile to the hospital. Going to the Red Sox game tonight with a bunch of the Sole Sisters - it's runners night at Fenway!! Hope we don't have thunderstorms!!

Happy Wednesday friends!!

denise

BTY

Good Afternoon, all.

Today, I had my legs back.  4 miles of running at the fast end of my easy running zone and it turned out 8:34 / 8:25 / 8:31 / 8:30; that along with a .5 mile warm up walk and a .5 mile cool down walk.   Best running I've done in quite some time.  Now I don't want to blow it, so going to slow it down for Friday's run and maybe add a mile to last week's 5-mile long run.  Going to back the pace off to slower than 9:20, I think.  That "time on your feet" thing comes into play, right?  The stretches that my chiropractor gave me to do for my back and hips are really helping!

I think I'm going to do a little time trial in the butterfly at the HS pool this evening, just to see if I should bother with training for next year's NYS Senior Games.  I tore my rotator cuff 4+ years ago and haven't attempted anything but backstroke and breast stroke since; but I was in the pool last week and did a few butterfly strokes just to see if I could do them, and there was no pain whatsoever!  This could be a really fortuitous discovery.  It would be great to have a cross-training medium that I actually like! Smile  Of course, I have to find a swimsuit that a 190 pound 52-year-old man can wear and still hold his head high.  (That has been the main sticking point for me in the past few years, because technically I could compete in the breast stroke and back stroke)  Will have to look around and see what they're wearing these days.  Nospeedonospeedonospeedo.

Good running, all.

Just popping in to say hi! I don’t think I have posted since returning from Germany. I had an awesome time but getting back to my time zone is a challenge.

Trekkie – I didn’t get a chance to welcome you yet. Welcome to the group.  I am slow too and looked at the book you recommended. It’s in my cart at Amazon. Is the PEAR app free? I will check it out later.

BTY – Welcome back! Good for you on the running, and swimming at the Senior Games, wow! I think the Olympians wore long compression suits didn’t they?

Roch – You don’t use your road bike on those rough trails do you? Glad DW and you could enjoy Quebec. Did you rent bikes there?  I rented one in Germany for two days but it was mainly for transportation and a city tour with Ingrid.

Holly – I saw your gorgeous pictures on FB. So glad DH was able to go.

Mike – So sad about Ryan’s dog. My son told me that they had to put their dog to sleep on Sunday.  His whole family is so sad and it was kind of sudden too – never easy.

Wildchild – Hope the cardiologist has some answers for you guys. Does he like the doctor?

Dave – I love roller coasters if the go up and down, but spinning and loop-de-loops do me in. There is an old wooden roller coaster in Arnolds Park, Iowa that is a blast! I loved the double ferris wheel at the Minnesota State Fair too.

I have been out running and biking a few days since getting home late Friday. I donated blood yesterday and went to bed at 8pm.  This morning I walked for a half hour and plan to bike after work.  I really need to get in gear for a race.  I have 7 weeks before the local 10K. There is a 5K at the fair next Thursday.  It is a fundraiser for a good cause so I might go (if it is not raining).

edited to add: 7 mile bike ride done. Off to Celebrate Recovery tonight. I have had to miss meetings all summer because of band practice but we are done for the summer. I earned my 5 year chip in May but haven't actually received it yet. Good thing that they had NA beer in Germany!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Welcome home, Starr.

Paul--you're sick...you know that, right?

I went 9 miles, today--6 at a fairly comfortable tempo pace.

Ryan's doing better, today.  Here's a picture of him and Dash.  He sure loved that dang dog.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good job Holly.

Beautiful photos

Don'cha wanna just stay and walk everywhere you can see,

down to the lake in the valley, up the next ridge, etc.?:

You bet! Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park has 152 trails (over 55,000 miles) and if I lived anywhere close I would make it a mission to complete as many as possible.

{{{Ryan}}}  Dash was a beautiful dog.   I remember making that call to my dad when I was 20 and my kitty died.  I know it was just a kitty, but it broke my heart.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."