Masters Running

Coach Bubba's 20K Race .. best race ever (Read 291 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

"The 20 km race is a challenging, satisfying course beginning at the Durham Bulls ballpark, winding through the beautiful Forest Hills neighborhood, and returning downtown via the American Tobacco Trail." One thing to note is the name of the subdivision Forest HILLS Smile The Garmin Elevation profile looks like this: No big hills... just tiring ones. Last year this was my best race ever placing 1st Ag and hitting70% Age Grade Ranking. That was at a 7:36 pace. Yesterday I said to my running friends.."I want to hold a 7:30 or even in the 7:20's pace for the 12.4 hilly miles." It was a perfect 25°F at the start (IRC for me). I warmed up starting at 7:30am for 10 min miles and cut it short due to time. Rushed up to the start just before 8:00 and... find out the race starts at 8:30 Roll eyes Back to the car, heater blasting and wait til closer to start and do some striders up the hill to the start..lots of people now. 4 mile race at 8:20 then we're off at 8:30. I see in the crowd a guy with long white hair who's bib says he's 55 (my AG) so I keep an eye on him as we race. This race is also a State Championship race so it attracts some great runners. Mile 1 - 7:15 lots of gentle downhills Mile 2 - 7:17 still more downs than ups in Forest Hills Mile 3 - 7:21 rolling now Mile 4 - 7:24 must be short cause Garmin was saying 7:37 and there were some climbs Mile 5 - 7:51 yup here's the long mile that follows the short mile, Garmin said 7:35 Mile 6 - 7:29 time to mentally prepare for some long uphills and increase effort level.. getting on the ATT Mile 7 - 7:20 more gentle down.. ready for the 1.5 mile climb Mile 8 - 7:39 hit 8 miles at at 59:39 better than PBJ Special so under 7:30!! Just hold this! Mile 9 - 7:33 we've made a turnaround on the ATT and ready for long down hill. That White Haired guy is a minute ahead of me! Mile 10 - 7:15 Keep leap-frogging a 20 something yo girl who is better at uphills than me. I settle in behind her Mile 11- 7:28 starts getting really hard but that girl keeps me pushing the uphill effort to maintain pace Mile 12 - 7:28 trying to keep pace, just behind the girl Mile 12.4 - 6:59 gasping to the finish 1:32:26 (7:27 pace) Huge PR (by 1:50) Age Grade Rank (2006 WAVA): 72.2% = best race ever!! 10K Splits: 46:12 and 46:14 7th AGM55-59... what?? A bunch of really fast old farts came out today Smile..but who cares... I had my best race ever! Thanks for reading! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

Wow, great racing, Steve! All that work--and all those hills--really paid off for you. It's great to see you running so well. Congratulations!

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

Awesome running there, Perch. You are so ready for Boston! It is amazing that this didn't get you higher in the AG though... wow, tough field.
          A bunch of really fast old farts came out today Smile..but who cares... I had my best race ever!
          Big grinBig grin CONGRATULATIONS!!! Big grinBig grin

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Fantastic race, perch. You set and met your goals. Congrats on a big PR and best race ever. TomS

King of PhotoShop

Then I guess it must be true that you get out of race performance what you put into training. This is a sensational result Steve. I am very happy for you. Spareribs
              Mariposai

What an inspiring performance. I always had admired the heard work you put into your training and now I see how this pays off. Congratulations Steve...a well deserved PR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Wow, great race Steve. Your splits are so consistent - figuring in the hills and the wacky mile. It's great to see that your training is really paying off. I'm looking forward to hearing about your race at Boston! Congratulations!

Once a runner . . .

Spectacular Steve! But what a tough AG. You are going to kick some Boston behind ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Renee the dog

Perch, WOW!!!! Congratulations! All you old farts are sure fast. Gives me hope! Big grin <ducking and="" running=""></ducking>

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Fantastic results Perch! I am not surprised since you are so running strong and feeling pace so well these days, but I am thrilled for you no less. I especially liked it when you hit the PBJ mark and told yourself to hold that. Congratulations! CNYrunner
                          Fantastic race! Nice rolly hills. Where did all those old farts come from? You were in first place last year right? Hopefully the young woman wasn't chattering away to you?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

PJH

Very impressive run, Steve! I had forgotten what a great runner you are ... but you also seem to be getting better with age. Congratulations! Btw - I always root more for guys in my own age group! Big grin
                            busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congrats on a job well done Steve! Good job on some even splits too!
                              -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                              also on Twitter
                                Very impressive Steve, tough group though.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down