Masters Running

Tuesday Boston Solidarity Day (Read 101 times)

Wish I'd thought of wearing a race T today.  Not that I have anything from Boston, nor will I ever, but it's a good thought.

Tammy, I was struck by your co-worker's account.  So graphic and very close to home.

One friend of mine responded to an FB post last night.  He'd finished in 2:40 and had been at the site of the second blast about an hour before cheering on a friend.  They were eating at a restaurant nearby when all hell broke loose.

Just a spin class for me this morning.... will run tomorrow.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

We will not let the anger of any one person take away the accomplishments of those who ran the Boston Marathon. The shadow cast upon the race is not as strong as the glow cast by your finisher’s medal. And those who did not get a chance to cross the finish line, in my book you all ran a 4:09.

Brilliantly put.  It should become a motto for yesterday's events.

I want to let everybody here know how touched I have been by your concern for all of the runners and spectators.  The lengths to which people went to see if our runners and families were well is very moving.  Thank you all for your concern and wishes.

I came to also post a thank you to my guardian angel.  I must have one since it is hard to otherwise fathom how my family and friends were not among the victims.  Our group had two runners on the course and our little support team met us about half way through.  Their goal was to see us pass by and then catch us at the finish.  After I finished I called to tell my DW and she said, "Congratulations you beat the train!"  A few minutes later they arrived into the Boston station.  Having missed my finish decided to go to the hotel to wait for our other runner to get within a few minutes of Boylston and then go out to cheer her on.  She was running well but was not on track to have one of her best times ever which, even so, left her within a mile from the finish when the bombs went off.  Had I finished a few minutes later or had she finished a few minutes earlier both our families would have been right where the bombs went off to cheer us to the end.  Fate.  That is all it was.  Fate.  Luck.  Whatever.  A miracle they were not among the victims. I am very grateful to that angel.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Very well put, Mike.

Tammy -Thank you for sharing.

The Hub asked me last night what bothered me most about this terrorist attack.  Was it because it involved runners or something else?  I had to think about that for a second because a huge part of me yesterday was so consumed by "where are all my RA-ers and their families?"  I could hardly think of anything else until I heard that Arla, the last person we hadn't heard from, was safe.  Then it was  "Those innocent people, children.  Folks there to cheer on their husbands, fathers, grandfathers, mothers, grandmothers, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, friends."

The whole thing in its entirety is hard to compartmentalize comprehend . . . . . I will never be able to wrap my head around this.

So many lives ruined.

So many lives saved by the first responders and ordinary folks doing everything they could to help, save, rescue.

One thing is for certain.  We are at our best when tragedy strikes.  We come together - no party lines, no skin color - just good ole American folks working together to show the world, those who hate us only because of where we live: "You WILL NOT destroy us.  WE ARE THE STRONG.  You are weak.  Your weakness has only made us stronger.  We are SURVIVORS.  You will NEVER take these away from us."

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

I'm not sure what I'm feeling today. That second blast is exactly where my family has spectated for years.  Scary.

I only know that I want to run a marathon asap.  So I signed up for the Liberty marathon in New Jersey on Memorial Day weekend.  I need to do this.

I ran seven miles this morning in the comfort and security of the cardio cinema.  Spiderman was playing, but I didn't pay much attention to it.  So many people in the gym came up to me and told me how they were worried for me.  I almost felt foolish (fortunate?) telling them that I didn't go to the Boston marathon this year - a virus in my lungs told me I couldn't do it.  Proof that you should listen to your body.  There's still something gnawing at me.  Maybe I should have gone - perhaps I could have helped others.  I don't know.  There's all sorts of conflicting emotions right now.  At least it worked out for my family.

SteveP

Watching the coverage on this morning's news was very sad, but deeply moving as the stories of the heroes who rushed to the aid of the injured were told.  Sometimes the worst times bring out the best in people, and I am humbled to watch.

There will always be more heroes than @$$holes.

Thank you Tammy.

Somber prayers and thoughts throughout the day. When I got home, I got the dogs out for a few miles.

SteveP

At times like these I just want to do something of purpose, no matter how large or small. As a fundraiser I tend to spring into action on that front, but whatever you all choose to do---whether publicly or privately will be significant.

I found this link in the Boston Globe and thought it useful: http://www.boston.com/news/source/2013/04/boston_marathon.html

And like PBJ, I'd like to run a marathon right away. I am not there yet, but I'll work to re-qualify for Boston 2014 and run. volunteer, cheer and more.

My kiddo and his teammates wore Boston shirts, caps, and jackets to their meet today and my running club is hosting a community fun run on Sunday to raise funds and to just be together.

So glad you are all here.

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Many of you heard my, "never [freaking] again" after the disaster at Bayshore '11.

I assume that qualifying next year will be more difficult, as I surely hope accommodation will be made for everyone on Team 4:09, who deserve another crack at this on a day unmarred by insanity.

But maybe I could go 3:55 at RVM.  Maybe.  Would it do anything to help any human being?  Not so sure about that.

King of PhotoShop

Landed at 1 pm, sat on tarmac till after 3 because AA shut down.  But my problems are minuscule. Here is my take on the marathon yesterday. It was all about Joe:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2013/04/the-boston-marathon-lucky-to-be-slow-lucky-to-have-joe.html/

Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

Home just for a few minutes. Am I delusional or did I see Mustang?  I love that woman. And she spelled accommodations right. I watch for that stuff. I think I like her mom better, but that's because I'm way out of her age group. Hi Sal!  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Landed at 1 pm, sat on tarmac till after 3 because AA shut down.  But my problems are minuscule. Here is my take on the marathon yesterday. It was all about Joe:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2013/04/the-boston-marathon-lucky-to-be-slow-lucky-to-have-joe.html/

Spareribs

Okay, this got to me and made me a little teary....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

I think I have something in my eye.... thank you, Joe!

Mike E

MM #5615

Really good article, Ribs!

Tammy--thanks for passing on Justin's comments.

I did 4.2 miles in 32:36.  My legs are more sore than they should be, right now.

Tammy, thanks for sharing your co-workers story. Ribs, I am glad you shared your story about Joe.  What an experience for you and everyone else.  Hi Sal, it's good to see you here again.

Almost 5 miles around the lake with Bandit after work.  We had to re-route around the debris from the trees in a few places.  When I think of the devastation we've had here, I'm reminded now that it's just trees and property that is replaceable. No one has been injured or lost a life and for that we are so fortunate.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Glad I read Ribs' article during my lunch hour.

Got out for 3 slow miles at the very windy Arcata Marsh this evening.  The ATs felt pretty good, only issue was some burning in the left heel.  Wondering if that is due to the inserts, so will talk to the PT about it tomorrow.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Thanks for taking the time to read my coworkers account. I found Ribs' story bringing me to tears also. There are so many "stories" that people have of this event. most that we will never know.

I ran 4 miles after work.

Tammy