Masters Running

Call me Jay (2:30am) / goodbye rainy April 2022 (Read 35 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

With NFL draft pre-empting Jeopardy! (again), went to bed early and woke up to pouring down rain at 2:30 am that was just perfect for mixing some of the pebbles I've been piling up from all of April's gardening with some sand to rake around on some bare patches in the driveway before a j-o'clock circuit of the 'hood, the first time I've run at that hour since jet lag would wake me up in Tokyo days in the eighties and I've jog over to the Imperial Palace to see it'll it was true that it was being run 24/7. It was.

However, unlike the master, I went back to sleep until 7:30 am and the morning's drive to get this year's tomato plant starters so I'll have to leave the recap to Jay too as, I suppose, he has nothing else to do this weekend.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Henrun

Glad you’re having such fun around the clock, Tet.

With not much on our calendar as I rehab I really feel retired. We are both overwhelmed with care and kindness of our friends. They keep bringing us meals and their company (limiting their stays to deal with my fatigue level).  Marj continues to take me out on short walks on this gorgeous spring weekend.

Hoping you’re all enjoying the weather (such as it is where you are) and runs, etc.

Good morning, tet!  Hi, Henry.  Keep up the good rehab work.

11 long miles "with" the running group.  I was by myself after 2 1/2 since people either weren't going as far, had started earlier etc.  I, once again, found myself time trialing my run and was much too fast.  If I had a coach besides myself, they would tell me to slow my roll.  I guess I just wanted to get done.  It was in the 60s and warmed up by the end, for sure.  Also some headwind the last couple of miles.  Got it done.  A bunch of the women went to brunch afterwards, which was fun.

On with my day!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

Good morning!

probably no running for me today. I ran 4 miles yesterday afternoon and DH and I are going to a corvette club social lunch today. tomorrow should be nice out so planning on maybe a 10ish mile run. Feels nice for a short change to not have a training schedule to stick to. I have a 30K next weekend though. 

official results were posted for my 50K last weekend. There were 24 people running the 50K and 7 of them were in my AG. almost 1/3 of the field! the top 4 finishers in my AG were so close - all coming in between 6:34 and 6:47 and I was 2nd at 6:37:42.

eta: I also just noticed that overall in the 50K I came in 3rd female, but maybe 2nd because the gal that finished in front of me was actually in the 100K but she took a diversion on the course to end sooner and ended up doing 42 miles instead of 64, but she just happened to come in a couple seconds ahead of me. 
          I felt bad for her. She was a nursing mom and we ran together for a bit during the first 10 miles and the couple spots where her husband was supposed to meet her, he was never there. she'd wait a bit, give instructions to the A/S crew that if he showed up, where he should go to meet her, but they kept missing each other. So she ended up having to call it quits a little over mid way thru her 100K.

Tammy

dnaff

Thanks for the Saturday start Tet!  Hey- why are my hyacinths under my oak doing better than those under my birch?

Thanks for the inspiration, Henry, Karen, and Tammy - you all serve to keep me plugging away!   PT/strength training done.  I will run tomorrow when the weather is better - that is, when the rain moves on out.

All the rest of you yet to post - have a greta Saturday!

Dave59

So Tet, did you run at 2:30 this morning? I couldn't quite follow your post. If so, you're lucky someone didn't report suspicious activity.

Henry - Great progress with your knee. Good to see it improving so well.

RunningKSA - Your mileage is mind boggling. I'm almost speechless.

Tammy - That is crazy to have such a tight distribution of finish times for your age group at such a long race. It's like you all trained together.

Hi Dnaff.

I did my 5th Parkrun today. A very rainy run but I had fun. I'm still plogging alone at a slow pace. 30:08 finish time. I am getting in better shape but it hasn't translated into faster times yet. Ideally, I'd like to get to a 9:00/mile pace, but I have a long way to go. (I used to say that I'd like to get back to an 8:00 pace but I have adjusted my goals.)

I usually make one last bathroom stop before a race but they were locked today. Apparently someone had jammed something into the locks so the keys wouldn't go all the way in. I was ok without my usual pre-race stop today but there are days where I would have been searching for a quiet tree. By the time the race was done, the park's guys got the doors fixed and unlocked.

Marathon Maniac #957

I couldn't quite follow your post.

That has never happened before...

Nice runs and workouts folks.

I did about 30 minutes of upper body strength training this morning (boy have I grown weak).  Then DH and I ran a bunch of errands, then went out for lunch.  I'm heading out now to start mowing the back yard during a break in the showers.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Falconfixer nice spot OA in the race!

Jlynne when I say cold, I mean cold. The morning temperatures have been 2 or even 3 degrees! Okay, those are Celsius degrees, but they are really little numbers!

Actually, it is finally warming up here in CT. This morning in was in the low 50's (fortunately, not Kelvin) and I went off for a 6 mile run. I thought about doing a local 10k race. But seeing as how this was going to be just my second run over 4 miles since the end of March I figured pushing the pace would be a bad idea. DW suggested I run the race "for fun" meaning slowly. I am not sure I can do that!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - I am right there with you re the cold.  I am yearning for hot summer weather!

So, I was about halfway through mowing the backyard when I saw DD and her BF waving at me.  DD said, "Turn the mower off."  My answer was, of course, "If I do, I can't start it again - I am not strong enough to start the engine via pull cord."  Anyone else here find that pull cord daunting?  Anyway, DD took over the mower, finishing the backyard and then mowing the front, while her BF did the edging and weed-eating.

Who is that girl, and what have you done with my daughter?   

I am liking the BF more than ever.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tammy, congrats on snagging second place!  Woot!

Henry, here's hoping the good progress continues.

Dave, I don't think I could do a race without a last minute potty stop.

Twocat, it's been really cold here too. Maybe not THAT cold, but it was down to 2 or 3 C on my backcountry trip last weekend. The new sleeping bag barely kept me warm, mostly due to the moisture in the air. I probably would have been warmer had it been a few degrees below freezing.

My son is home now for the summer; I let the grass get long in expectation of it. At least that is one chore I won't have to do this summer.

My plan was to walk the roughly 12 miles to MBE's house today, and e-bike home.

He texted me around mile 3.5 to let me know the pedestrian path on the bridge was shut down. I contemplated turning around and taking the I-90 bridge instead, but that would have meant about a 15 mile walk. So I walked instead to Chipotle, ate 2/3rds of a burrito (too much) and walked home, completing a loop for 9.55 miles. My feet were pretty sore, as they usually are.  With the dog walk in the morning, that's about 10 miles for today.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice walking miles, Enke!  I’m at only 5 so far in two trip. Little over two at about 6am for early rising hound and then just und 3 walking home from dog park after dropping off work rental car nearby. 

I’m afraid I’ll have to break out the lawnmower soon. Part of the yard is lush, part is pretty scraggly, and there are a large number of dead circles   Wondering where those came from

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

That was really nice of them, Holly!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - neat. Next thing you know, they'll be wondering if it's okay to leave her stuff there a little longer, . . . maybe some of BF's too. Smile

dnaff - with the purple hyacinths from prior year's transplantings from crowding out the garden to line up along the street and at right angles between the houses, and with blooming Irises and lilacs fragrancing up the front door, DW and I've decided we have the purplest place in the neighborhood.

ps - this year's transplants aren't nearly half as robust as past year's. I guess they need a year or two to get settled in.

pps - our cherry trees appear to be very hyacinth friendly too.

Dave - according to my MapMyRun app, after, and with the help of the pouring down rain, raking/smoothing down the fill on the driveway, I was so wet and heartbeat already up at running rate, the neighborhood circuit I figured I might as well do now as when I'd otherwise normally get up and do but would have to get ready for the annual tomato run (drive) with DW instead today started at 3:13 am, well within j-o'clock time, . . . I think.

Enke - only a few years ago, before it became so daunting, one of my favorite routes for the annual "Ride-in-the-Rain" every November was a double floating bridge across I-90 then north up through the arboretum to I-520 and back. Lots of construction detours were going on in those days but I thought all the closures were over by now. Sure never thought about running or walking it, though. Good job for what you did today during the nice break we had in the weather.

ps - nice fall colors for the rain ride early in November that I think regular cyclists tramps and Roch along with us once-in-a-whilers would also like.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Henrun on Friday!!!!

I like the energy at expos.

Greta pictures Holly.

Thank you for the start Jay-Tet.

Dave59 - I'm liking your park runs.

TwoCat - I cannot pretend to call the events I sign up for races.  It's purely socializing with a view.

I got three miles in on Friday.

I had 9.3 scheduled for Saturday.....but.......

First, I'm planting the must plant now trees we had.  5 tulip poplar, 2 peach, 2 apple and 1 plumb.  I started the 1st hole and DS pulls into the drive with his new camper the same time DD#1 pulls in with DW and the plants she bought the same time as a delivery vehicle pulls in to drop off DS's new appliances for us to store.

Surprise!

DS is having trouble with his hitch hook up.  He had no idea what he was getting into.  He saw a YouTube video and was an expert. Thankfully DD#3 was able to pick up our other 25 trees.  I'd have left and not come back until Dunkin and I got an adventure in the books.  We got the camper and tow package road ready just in time for lunch, oh and by the way, they're staying for the weekend.  GD#3 helped try out new playground equipment, play hide and seek with Grampy and walked along our trail and picked a few flowers for DIL and Grammy.

OK, I'll get the distance in when DW goes to help set up for Grandchild #7's baptism lunch on Sunday. I get back to planting trees and hear that I need to get ready.  I'm not dropping things and setting  up the hall.  I've had more than my fair share of that.  The Baptism got changed to Saturday by the priest a couple of weeks ago. It turns out that I'm the Godfather.  Surprise.  I have to keep track of a lot and I've been good at it.  I do not recall any discussion in this regards.

So, a very good day of "roll with the punches" cross training.

SteveP