Masters Running

Recipe of the Week - let's do Slow Cooker Recipes (Read 1467 times)

Mariposai

Mariposai - the chorizo - do you leave it in the casing as a whole sausage, or do you dice it up?

dice it up, of course.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I look my best blurry!

I love slow cookers, and I also love simple, throw together before I step out the door recipes:

Pot Roast:

Chuck roast - or whatever is on sale and big enough to feed the family.

1 pkg. Lipton Onion Soup Mix

1 can Cream of mushroom soup

3/4 can of water

Mix soup, soup mix and water together.   Brown roast on both side with a little salt and pepper.   Put roast in crock pot, poor soup mixture over top and cook all day.   Normally I cook a 3 pound roast on high until the kids got home around 2:30, 3:00 and then had them turn down to low - but now they are gone.  If it is a large roast, I'd cook all day on high - smaller, cook on low.

I do the same roast but use beefy onion soup mix, red wine instead of water and add carrots, mushrooms and onions.  Yum!  Can add potatoes but I LOVE the gravy over mashed garlic potatoes.  It's hard to believe I'm still skinny.  Next am, run, run, run....

Marathon Maniac #957

I love this, too, and I love to use the beefy onion Lipton soup as well, but I usually do only one of these at at time, either the mushroom soup or the Lipton soup - either way it's very easy and turns out yummy.  I also serve it with mashed potatoes instead of putting potatoes in it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I look my best blurry!

Slow Cooker Cacciatore

2 c sliced mushrooms

1 cup sliced celery 

1 cup chopped carrot

2 med onions wedged

1 red or yellow pepper sliced

4 cloves fresh minced garlic

3.5 lbs skinless chicken on the bone (I prefer legs for this)

1/2 cup dry white wine

3T quick cook tapioca

2 bay leaves

1 tsp oregano

1tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1 can diced tomatoes ( I use Italian style)

1/3 c tomato paste

Put all veggies in crock pot.  Place chicken on top.  Add wine and tapioca.  Sprinkle all seasonings on chicken.

Cook on low 6-7 hours or high 3-3 1/2 hours.  Enjoy the aroma!  Aaah!  When is dinner?  Can hardly wait!

Remove chicken and debone.  Keep warm.

Turn on high(if not already) add undrained tomatoes and paste.  15 minutes or longer.   Add chicken.  Serve over rice, pasta or my favorite garlic mashed potatoes.  Yum!

dg.

thanks already1MTfinerunner!    that sounds like something I might like to make... I bet it would work with tofu.  (really!)

Not fancy, but cooking in the pot right now - kidney beans, chilli pepper, ground, nutmeg, savory, bay leaves and dried onions.   Later I will add more of whatever I think it needs, maybe some salt and pepper, and maybe something like canned Italian tomatoes or tomato sauce.  Never the same, always good. I have some left over rice, already cooked, and that will go in just before being served.  I will serve it with broccoli and a fresh salad.  "Beans and Rice, Rice and Beans"  says Dave Ramsey   on the radio at night. 

Sometimes I put cheese of sour cream on the top of the serving, and almost always either a little lime or lemon just before serving.  

I do my own baked beans, but the burger, onions, and garlic get sauteed up outside of the crock pot.

"Baked" Beans

Cook (or soak overnight to speed up cooking) mixture of large beans (like kidney, black, pinto, etc.) in crock pot until tender.

While beans are cooking, in sauce pan cook 1-2 lbs. of burger until done.  Drain and set aside.  (I like a lot of meat in this recipe.  You can use turkey burger.)

Chop into small pieces 4-5 cloves of garlic, 1 medium size onion, 1 medium size bell pepper, 2 carrots.  Saute in sauce pan until tender.  Set aside.

Once beans are completely cooked, add meat and veggie mixture, 1 16-oz can diced tomatoes, 1 16-oz can tomato sauce.  Add the rest to taste: salt, pepper, Worchestershire sauce, brown sugar, maple syrup, ketchup.

I add amounts of the seasoning, let it cook for about half an hour so, go back and taste, let cook for awhile, etc.  Once in awhile I get too heavy-handed with the brown sugar or maple syrup.  It gets even better if left to set overnight.  Serve with really great cornbread.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I'm loving the Slow Cooker I got for Christmas.  Here's a recipe I did today and it was Great!

Vegetable Beef Barley Soup/Stew

1 1/2 to 2 pounds stew meat

1 large green pepper, chopped

1 cup green beans

1 cup onion, chopped

2/3 to 1 cup cup barley

2/3 cup corn

2 cups water

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon thyme

1 teaspoon pepper

29 ounces beef broth

29 ounces diced tomatoes

8 ounces tomato sauce (or 6 ounces tomato paste)

Directions:

1. Add all ingredients to slow cooker.

2.  Cover; cook on Low 8-9 hours or High 4-5 hours.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai

thanks BQBYLL, I will try this recipe. It sounds delicious!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

BqByll - Silly question probably, but do you use fresh or canned green beans??    I already asked my co-worker what section of the store to find Barley.   I'm such a cook! 

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I used canned because I had one.  But fresh would have been better I'm sure.  (Love fresh green beans!)

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai

Lentil Chili

from the Pea and Lentil Cookbook (from everyday to gourmet)

This is one of my favorite fast food recipes that I am sure is going to please the vegan and the not vegan. It is full of flavors, it is cheap and very nutritious.

Ingredients

Dry lentils ( I like to use the traditional lentils and the yellow lentils for color). We all need rainbow in life, right?

5 cups of water

1 packet dry onion soup mix

1 can diced tomatoes

2 cloves of garlic

1 medium onion

1 TB chili

1 tsp cumin

Hot red pepper sauce (optional)

3 tomatillos (optional) but I love them so for me they are not optional.

Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, or guacamole for garnish

Cilantro (optional, but for me it is not Smile)

Preparation

Cook lentils. Add dry onion soup mix. Cook in low heat for 30 minutes. Add tomatoes, garlic, onion, chili powder, cumin and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and hot red pepper sauce.

Garnish as desired.

Serve this meatless dish in bowls, stuff it into taco shells, scoop it up with corn chips, or spoon it over spaghetti, rice, backed potatoes or hot dogs. Just delicious. Just fantastically simple

With its 280 calories per serving you can splurge an extra glass of Melbec or a piece of blackberries pie.

evanflein

Looks good... but how many lentils? And no slow cooker, but faster anyway, right?

What could you use instead of tomatillos? I can't get them most of the year around here (not that I've found, anyway).

Mariposai

I use  half a pound of each (yellow and traditinal) or one pound of either one. A pound of lentils is enough to feed my family for two dinners, which make it very economical and nutritional.

I just like tomatillos and I add them for the zesty flavor it gives to food. The original recipe does not ask for them.

This chili is also great with warm tortillas.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

EASY FISH CHOWDER

Work:  25 minutes              Total 4 hr. 45 min.

This versatile recipe is equally delicious with halibut, haddock or cod; you can experiment to find your favorite.

1 ¼ cups diced yellow onion

1 clove garlic, minced

4 ribs celery, diced

12 oz. Baby red potatoes, cut into pieces

1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning

½ tsp. Kosher salt

3 tbsp. Cornstarch

2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1 lb. Fish fillets, cut into 1” pieces

1 tsp. Lemon zest

1 cup half and half or whole milk

Chopped flat-leaf parsley

1.  Combine onion, garlic, celery, potatoes, Old Bay and salt in a 4-quart slow cooker, Dutch oven or pot.  In a bowl, stir together cornstarch, broth and 1 ½ cups water and pout over vegetables.  Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 8 hrs. on low or 4 hrs. on high for slow cooker or 1 ½ hr at simmer on the stove.

2.  Adjust heat to high if using low heat on the slow cooker; stir in fish, lemon zest and half-and-half and cook until fish is cooked through, 20 minutes for slow cooker, or 15 minutes at a simmer on the stove.  Sprinkle with parsley.

SERVES 6

Per serving:  220 calories, 7 g total fat, 3 g sat. fat, 380 mg sodium, 20 g carbs, 39 mg chol, 20 g protein, 2 g fiber

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com