Masters Running

This really touched my heart.......but have known it for years!!!! (Read 299 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore, I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

It's not about speed and gold medals. It's about refusing to be stopped........................

In a very thankful mood tonight....................

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

....very well put statement......

one of my favorites  from the 70's

car pulled up next to a Runner in Colorado fighting a hill

and yelled

''What are you training for?''

''The REST of the day''

the Runner yelled back.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore, I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

It's not about speed and gold medals. It's about refusing to be stopped........................

In a very thankful mood tonight....................

Tim

1 Corinthians 9:24

Thanks for that Timbo. The only tangible prize I have ever "won" in a race was a bottle of wine I received for coming in dead last. The intrinsic rewards I've received from running are too numerous to count.