Masters Running

Friday's Frigid Daily, 12.29.17 (Read 45 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s workouts:
    Tramps (some exercises)
    Dave59 (3.3 morning miles on a TM in an empty gym)
    RunnerKSA (4.5 morning TM miles)
    Spacityrunner (2.25 neighborhood miles in 26° temps at 13 min pace for 1st run in over a month)
    Twocat (7 TM miles at quick pace)
    Tomwhite (50 min HH on hills in 11° temps)
    Metalmancpa (6.3 balmy miles in 14° temps (below 0 WC))
    C-R (8 midday tempo miles with training partner in breezy 16° temps)
    Holly (30 min of weights & core)
    Mike (6 TM miles - or 6.3 according to the Apple watch)
    Tet (6 morning miles to get needled)
    Bioguy (4 afternoon miles with handwarmer packs)

Surly Bill (10.2 miles at 8:18 pace)

Falconfixer (4+ cold pre-dawn miles with windage)

Pfriese (6 EZ miles)

Deeze (2.2 TM release miles + 20 min on the stair master)

Wildchild (6 flat miles at Barr Lake State Park with wildlife)

Quickadder (7 late-day miles at 8:52 [HM] pace in 40° temps)

Good to see that most of you folks are being smart about dealing with chilly temps. Keep doing that. Nice fire, Tramps. Metalman - how do we know that is really you in that photo??

Congrats to those who have reached or are reaching their monthly/yearly mileage goals. Mike, my standard yearly goal is to reach 1200. But this year, I started the year off well, stayed healthy, and just kept going.

Welcome back, Fatozzig. Glad you had a good getaway (except for the exhaustion and sickness), and am sorry you are still on crutches. I hope the ortho or podiatrist can help. I agree with TW about the nap…

Not the way I’d want to acquire a souvenir, Tet.

I'm very sorry to read the Justin update, Deeze. I can't imagine why they'd release him when he is clearly not ready to be on his own. However, sadly, I can imagine your frustration with the system.

I went 3.3 RW miles early this morning in -4° temps (-15WC), and I have to admit it got a bit chilly out there. Thankfully, the winds had calmed down some from the flag-snappers we had yesterday.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

The Bolt is really just coming out and they are hard to find. I’m not a fan of buying cars away from home, but this is my husband’s thing.  He mainly drives around town.  We have a big Chevy Silverado truck and a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. The truck is mine. Long story on that....

Deez- I’m sorry. The mental health system is so flawed.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Did it!  4 miles this morning- 19 degrees but sunny and no wind so it was fine (I still didn't want to get out there....)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Ran 3.1 at the almost empty gym this morning. I was the only person on a row of 20 treadmills. No one was on the row of ellipticals in front of me or the row stationary bikes in front of that. I could see 2 people over in the weights and 2 upstairs on elliptical machines.

The local running store has packet pickup tomorrow for the New Year's Day 5k. I'll head down to pick-up my stuff so when I go to the race I don't have to get out of my car until the last minute. It is going to be single digits Monday morning. While I'm at the store I'll probably do some shopping. I don't need any shoes but I am open to some if I see a good deal. Maybe they'll have some gloves/mittens that are better than what I currently use.

I don't think the electrical cars are very practical but maybe they'll be better by the time my youngest granddaughter is driving. I wouldn't want a car that I couldn't drive the 600+ miles to Tallahassee to visit the grandkids. There was one Volt I used to see driving around where I lived in Michigan. I looked up the Bolt and I think I like the looks of it better. But after 200 miles you have to find a charging station or push it.

metalmancpa

Metalman - how do we know that is really you in that photo??

Well, I can't really "prove it" other than my words. Here's a race photo taken Dec 2016 when I ran a 1/2-marathon where it was 10 degrees at the start. I did not take the photo. You can compare this to the other picture and decide for yourself (maybe study the eyes as that's all that's showing).. So how did I look leading the march of the zombies? Walking lunges as a warm up look funny.

lamerunner

Greetings!  Sorry I have not been more active here, but I do check the daily often.  Lots of running and other activities here lately!  I wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year too.

I am still  running a little, maybe 4x a week if I am lucky, plus a couple of swims and some yoga. I thought of Erika this morning. -16 was the temperature.  No wind thankfully. I ran about 6 miles on a nicely groomed rail trail. Stayed warm enough but the frozen eyelashes were annoying.

1500m swim last evening; it felt good.

Cheers!

spacityrunner

Quote of the day 

Stayed warm enough but the frozen eyelashes were annoying.

Trails Rock!

metalmancpa//..............ok, that was just scary..........

===========

wimped out........

60-min x-bike

..................good Running to ya..........Watch your Footing

eta-

good to see lamerunner checking in

[[[[ mari ]]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

electric cars; pretty much superior performance to internal combustion because of 100% torque available at all speeds. They make for an off-roader's dream. Batteries are the only hold-up, and they are coming along (we are still using 100 year old technology with 100 year old results. One of the very FIRST cars was electric in the 1800's, it went 30 mph and 30 miles on a charge, sound familiar?. Most gas cars have 300-350 mile range now, so an electric with 200-250 isn't too far behind. And less moving parts, less complicated, easier to repair, etc. The new waste stream developed by the need for and disposal of battery components and the production of electricity to charge them is offset by the reduction of the waste stream of gasoline production and maintenance of internal combustion engines. Just trading one kind of resource depletion for another.

And, I'm off to Oregon for a couple days. Hoping to get a couple runs in, and they'll be at the temps you're all enjoying!

Deez; mental health system is tied up with bureaucrats. It took a LOT to get our boy removed from "special education" recently. He has OCD issues but not severe, and they lumped everyone with special needs together in "special ed". He feels like he doesn't need the extra benefits anymore, so we tried to get him taken off that list, but it was almost a courtroom action to do it. Maybe the school district gets extra $ for each special ed kid or something so they don't WANT them mainstreamed, but it just fortifies my belief that the mental health industry is inept. And I have an undergrad degree in Psy!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

At this point, Metalman could be anybody and who'd be the wiser??

If I don't want a picture posted on Facebook then I tag it for me only.  It works for me.

How do you do this??

Deez - I'm so sorry to hear Justin is continuing to struggle.  Is it up to the hospital to file something with the court or can family do that?

Posie - Take care of that knee.  And HUGE congratulations on the affordable housing win!

Not much else going on here. I have't been in the mood to do any kind of workout, but I'll get it going again this weekend.  I do think I should receive some kind of cross training credit for motoring on crutches, though.

Oh - Somebody needs to ask Tammy what's new in her life.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

Welcome back Lamerunner.

Ran 3 this am-7 degrees with a wind chill of -4. At my age its dangerous to be out there but I was getting cabin fever. Ran along the main streets and bike paths when there were icy spots. Dressed well including a balaclava.

Happy New Year🥂🏃‍♀️

C-R

Hey all.

Well done Karen on the 2k.

I'm with you lame. Twice this week for me with the icy eyelashes. Had to tilt my head to see. Annoying.

I saw that pic before I read the thread metal. Lunges was not the first thing to cross my twisted mind.

Henry that is hard core stuff. Be careful.

I had to take a break from the outdoors today. It wasn't real cold (13) but I needed to relax on a run and not be hyper alert to ice so a nice 5k on the treadmill did the trick.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

electric cars; pretty much superior performance to internal combustion because of 100% torque available at all speeds. They make for an off-roader's dream. Batteries are the only hold-up, and they are coming along (we are still using 100 year old technology with 100 year old results. One of the very FIRST cars was electric in the 1800's, it went 30 mph and 30 miles on a charge, sound familiar?. Most gas cars have 300-350 mile range now, so an electric with 200-250 isn't too far behind. And less moving parts, less complicated, easier to repair, etc. The new waste stream developed by the need for and disposal of battery components and the production of electricity to charge them is offset by the reduction of the waste stream of gasoline production and maintenance of internal combustion engines. Just trading one kind of resource depletion for another.

An episode of Murdoch Mysteries was about electric versus gas cars.  The electric car won a race but then someone from an oil company bought up all the stock in the electric car company and it killed it off.

I like electric cars. But I don't see fooling with them in my lifetime. If they weren't subsidized with large tax credits and places putting in free charging stations (like WV State Parks), almost no one would be buying them.

Misplaced runner...

Hello!  New poster here; intro posted up in the Intro sticky.  Pre-run posting for an easy three miles or so later, with 3-4 60 second jump rope sets.  I'm on a bit of a cutback week, so pretty light and easy all week, with no workouts (strides thrown into a couple of runs) and tomorrow's long run at 10 miles.  About 34 miles or so by the end-of-week, then it's back up to 45 or so next week.

Weather for the Houston area for the past week or so has been very Pac NW-like with overcast skies, frequent drizzle/sprinkles, and temps in 40s during the day.  Looks like a taste of winter upcoming as we'll dip into the 20s overnight in a few days, with daytime temps not breaking out of the 30s.  Last Christmas here was like 82 and humid.

It's been really nice being off work since last Friday, with three more days still to go.  No plans for the New Year weekend upcoming; just continued relaxing and watching The Hobbit/LOTR movies with my kids.

Happy Friday everyone!

Current focus: Texas Med Run 10k (2/3/18) and Bayou City Classic 10k (3/17/18).

Marathon Maniac #957

Deez - I'm so sorry to hear Justin is continuing to struggle.  Is it up to the hospital to file something with the court or can family do that?

Posie - Take care of that knee.  And HUGE congratulations on the affordable housing win!

+1 and +1

Metalman - funny picture!

RunnerKSA - congrats on getting to your goal. I have about 14 miles to go before I get my 2000, so I will be just scraping in...

Analogkid - Welcome!

6.8 miles for me this morning in 18 degrees.  Brr...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."