Masters Running

Sat Aug 14th Masters Daily (Read 495 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning.....

Wow....Leslie ran 15 miles on a treadmill yesterday. I think my longest was 10 miles, and I swore I would NEVER do that again. But suppose it does teach good mental fortitude if Ya can do it (had to come up with something ) WTG Girl!!!!

Hope Bill's Achilles feels better, and He has a great LR - you be careful too Fren

Yea Jlynne.......................8 mile run, and back on track again.

Slo....how did your 5K go speedster?

Dave - RE: Airbags. The total costs for airbags and all the other components that must be replaced usually comes to around $4500.00 to $5000.00......enough to total out some - really nice vehicles - which is unfortunate sometimes for the vehicle owner if they like, and want to keep their car.

Up early and had my oatmeal and banana and getting ready to ride "hopefully" 100 miles with our cycling club. No worries about my knee OK, as I am meeting a friend for coffee pretty soon (5 miles away) where I will see how well my knee feels (still tightly taped BTW) I will know quickly if I can ride pain free or not, and I can always bail out after coffee and ride back home and do a long walk with some easy running instead. Believe it or not, cycling actually is worse for my knee because of getting my knee up around 90 degrees at the top of the peddle stroke, but easy running my leg doesn't come up that far. We shall see....but it sure is going to be a hot day regardless of what I do - low 90's with high humidity and dew points. Cycling Ya actually having a breeze which cools a person off better than running....until you stop, then you sweat like a Piggy and melt.

Getting VERY excited about getting back to running, and training for my 2 fall Marathons and another 5OK

Hope everyone has a Great Day....

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Have a great ride, Tim.

Went for 7 easy miles down to the Maumee River and back along the bustling streets of Maumee this morning.  Actually, the streets were very quiet, and I did scare a deer near the river.  Lots of street lights (good), but lots of disconnected sidewalks (bad).

I get to challenge my driving skills through the streets of Chicago this morning.  I'm gonna think like a Boston driver.  That should work, right?

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie – I’m glad your DH was unhurt, but bummer about the accident.  Kudos for your long TM run, too.  The only time I have run that far on a TM was when I had a movie to watch on DVD.  I hope you at least had something to keep your attention.

Although I must admit, with this heat and the fact that I have two powerful fans trained on my garage TM, as well as some good DVDs to watch, I’m sorely tempted to do tomorrow’s 20-miler on my TM.

Timbo – have fun, and be careful.

PBJ - Boston drivers are crazy - are you sure you want to think like them?   

7 easy-paced miles for me today in 80-83° and 87%.

We’ll be spending a couple hours at the pool with my nephew and his DW and 2 little boys, and later DH and I will finally make it out to dinner at PF Changs.

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Have a great ride Tim.

Short 5k RR

Camanche Classic.....Start time 8:00pm......Flat and Fast.

We had a thunder boomer move thru at about 5:30. This dropped the race time temp but it was still humid.

I ran a pretty good race. Never gave up a position and continued to improve my position right up to the finish line. I'm dissapointed that I didn't break 20 mins. I slacked off in the middle and it cost me......I stayed pretty relaxed thru the entire race. Finished with a 2nd place AG with a time of 20:30. The t-shirts this year are very classy.....I was very impressed.....and with all the races giving out tech shirts anymore, getting a nice cotten t-shirt that I will wear was very much welcomed. My t-shirt pile is getting pretty small.

Renee the dog

Congrats Slo!!!

Out for 3 with Renee this morning, then back to the house for 2 cups of coffee, a jelly doughnut, then back out for another 4 miles on the sand.  Ahhh, end of summer, when I think I'm invincible.   Luckily, no upset stomach.  This is only the second doughnut I've had this summer, and I've run immediately after each without incident. 

MIL and I have been playing nice.  I'm a wreck right now though because she took my 6 yr old out with her to the boardwalk.  It's not that I don't trust my MIL.  It's that my MIL has no East Coast savvy, and my daughter is one who flits around, and oh, I just will be happy when I see them in one piece back here at home.... I feel myself aging as I sit here!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tim,

Good luck on the ride today

Slo,

Nice 5k!!

I am still trying to break 21 so 20:30 sounds good to me.

Long treadmill runs or any treadmill runs are a winter sport for me. I think I did a 12 miler one winter and just about went into a coma.

just 4 easy today for me. hoping my long run tomorrow feels stronger than the last two. This will be my last one before the Crim as next week I will be on a taper week.

Not sure who else is  racing this weekend besides 12 hour Francesca and slo but good luck to everyone else that is.

Larry 

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

A lot of nice runs (and rides) already this morning.  Nice race Slo!  You need a new handle.  That's 2 minutes faster than my 5K PR.

Well, the leg behaved itself mostly.  Various left side parts are aching - achilles, ankle, heal - so I planned to run easy today.  That, and waking up at 4:15 AM to see temps of 82° and 77% solidified "easy" as a good choice.

I ran 6.3 miles by myself to start off, then met the Local Running Club.  Then slow and easy with them till 15 miles, then 3+ miles home by myself.  18.2 miles at a slow and easy 9:40 pace with many water breaks.  I did manage two MP miles late in the run but that was it for today.  Glad this one is done.

Two local runners in their 50s are getting married later today.  We call them Ken and Barbi because they're both sooo good looking in that All-American sort of way.  Knock-outs really.  (I guess the old-styled Barbi anyway.  Have you seen the latest Barbi dolls?  Punked out.)

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

I'm with you about the cotton t-shirts, Slo....I prefer them to technical tees.

Nice new avatar, Bill.

I ran a 5k this morning......18:28, a 21-second PR. 2nd OA, 1st AG. I was pleased to finally break the sub-six m/m barrier for the 5k: my pace was 5:57, which I kept to pretty steadily through the run. This race also gave out all-cotton tank tops as the race swag.....hurray!

(Embedded RR in the daily....sorry.)

Walt

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Lots of good runs this morning for eveyone.  Out for 12.5 mile run along the Delaware and Lehigh canal this morning.  Temps were in the low 70F's with low humidity - unusual for the NE these days.  Managed to complete run in 1:43 mins @ 8:18 min pace.  Not too fast, but a very relaxing run.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Wow we have some really speedy runners here!

Nice 5K's Slo and Walt!!!

Hydration is important.

Ran 14 miles of hills but after 6 hrs of garden weeding yesterday in the heat, I never got re-hydrated enough. That combined with hills and new COARSE gravel on the 6 miles trail portion took it all out of me today.  Glad that's over!

If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger....

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Slo

Wow.....Very well done Walt ! Congrats on the 2nd OA......That's awesome.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

12 hour Francesca

thanks larry.

francesca - is that the notori..., I mean famed Transcendence 12-hour Ultra race that is "intended

to challenge your body and, most importantly, your mind to 'break on through to the other side.":?

ps - Weather for Olympia, WA 98501

Sunny / Humidity: 59% / highs - 95°

smiley face sunshine

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Nice running today folks!

Congratulations Slo!

Smokin' Walt---awesome racing there and way to bust below that 6:00 minute barrier. Loved your Sun Ra reference yesterday.

Looks like a scorcher in WA though....transcendence for sure or something.

The kiddo knocked another minute off his 5k time and I was a grinning fool as he crossed the line this morning. We ran/raced a 5k at the Yankee Candle flagship store and factory in Deerfield, MA (HUGE complex) and of course very fragrant too. Santa Claus starts the race with a gong and off we went. Hit the first mile in 6:15----as hoped and was up with the first pack of about 12 runners-----we passed a course volunteer at about 1.5 miles and all of a sudden there's a lot of yelling and shouting----we went the wrong way! So, what might have been sub 20:00 for a 5k was a 20:26 for 3.3 miles. oh well....they comped us for next year's race and gave us each gift certificates for candles (yuck on the latter----migraine inducing stuff). The race leader made up the gap and still won, but he was beyond ticked off. The day is too beautiful to get too cranky and the kiddo's time was the focus anyway. I was 2nd woman (1st woman is 20 yrs. old and was behind me until I had to double back---couldn't catch her). All fun and proceeds go to the American Heart Association. 

Long run tomorrow and no Bronx half-marathon after all. Just a good quality week. Humidity is very low too and pretty much IRC. Heat isn't bugging me too much this summer.

breger! Your avatar just cracks me up. Loved SNL in those years.

Good Luck Francesca! Dove too I think?!

Leslie----WOW.

Dave59

I went out on my favorite 3 mile loop today after the skies cleared.  This time, I jogged more than I walked and my foot did good.  Still a little sore but getting much better every time I try.

evanflein

That's good, Dave, taking it easy. We still have a supply of duct tape around here somewhere if you get out of hand. (You too, TimBo!)

Some really good runs around here, nice 5k's for Slo and Walt, and a 3.3 for CNY! Reminds me of my half marathon last year where a bunch of us missed a turn and headed off the wrong way. I watched for that turn this year!

So sorry about the car, Leslie. Glad DH is ok... losing a car that way totally sucks. The car I had before this one was totaled by a truck on slushy, icy roads a few years back. I really like the replacement car, but that old green Saab was amazing. Hope you can get a new one without too much trouble or expense, but I know that's not going to be easy. As for your treadmill run, way to go! My longest is a little over 20... I've done that a couple of times when it was too cold out or too smoky out to run that long outside. You gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Had fun at the fair last night, but that sure wears me out. I'd rather run 20 miles than trudge around the fairgrounds for 3 hours. Something about all those people just sort of milling around, stopping in front of you, kids running in front of you, etc. Ugh. And OMG... where did all these freaky people come from? I've never seen so many piercings and tattoos (most not very artistic) and just fat and out of shape blobs of humanity. Oy. Very depressing. DH and I split three things to eat (cheesy spinach bread--like a little pizza, seafood pita--yum, have this every year, and a Navajo taco--DH's favorite), then got a medium bag of fresh kettle corn to munch and take home. I was stuffed, and couldn't believe how much other people were stuffing in their faces. How depressing.

Oh well... I'm running 10 today, on the bike paths to keep my foot off roots one more day, then shopping and berry picking, laundry, housework, etc. We could hit record high temps tomorrow... and that's 85°.  I'll have to get my 20 miler in early.