Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 6.27.17 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s workouts:
    Tramps (hip/knee exercises, core work, 2 EZ miles)
    Jlynne (6.5 miles in IRC + 20 min of weights/core)
    PBJ (fizzy lifting + spinnerooni)
    RunnerKSA (3.2 week-starting miles)
    BerthaSlayer (EZ 5K + 3 partial and 10 cheater pushups)
    Pfriese (8 EZ cool morning miles)
    StarrRuns (almost 4 pre-breakfast miles at the summer resort)
    Tomwhite (44 min HH on soccer fields in Hokas)
    Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles with a slow start + 20 post-work bike miles)
    Mike (10 pre GD soccer game miles)
    Flats (8.66  7.19 evening miles with rain after 5)
    Twocat (7 miles to the lake and back - final run with Mariposai and the EP)
    Evanflein (12.3 tired and hot miles in sunny 77° temps)

Sorry about the approaching swampy weather and pace bunny, Tramps. Summer and life, you know…

Jlynne, when I sleep in, it is usually till about 4:30 or so. Yesterday, I went almost till 5! Good for you for getting out on the golf course with DS2, and congrats on 3rd place and cash. And good for you for fighting the 'mother instinct' to let him have a good day.

PBJ - trimming the X-mas trees in June? Is this a business? Nice 15-miler on Sunday.

Good folks at DW’s mini-reunion, Stumpy. Haven’t heard Tyne Daly’s name in a while.

Good dog names, Runner KSA.

Way to attack those pushups, BerthaSlayer! You’ll get there.

Scary thunderboomers, Tammy. I’m glad the resulting fires didn’t last.

Have a blast resorting, StarrRuns.

Have fun with the buddy in your version of the Nordic Biathalon, Tomwhite.

I like those deci-marathons, Buehrie (thanks for the explanation, Stumpy). Sounds like you’re enjoying your Baba duties.

Flats, I was thinking a few days ago about how all people used to have to run in was cotton, but they just did what they could with what they had. I agree that sports clothing technology is amazing.

Evanflein, it is good to understand the changes in our bodies and to adapt to them over time so we can keep doing what we love to do.

I can’t post photos from the sand sculpture competition, but HERE is a link to the article that has a few good shots.

I had to go to a Board of Selectmen’s meeting last night about a new well the local water company wants to drill. It’s not all that far from our house, and I’m concerned about the potential impact to our well. We get our water and run our geothermal heating & cooling system with our well, so if it is compromised, the solution could be quite expensive. And I want to know who’d pay for that, other than us. I didn't get any answers, but I planted the thought, which is what I wanted to do.

7.5 fartlek RW miles in delightful 57° dry pre-sunrise temps this morning. The clouds just above the horizon looked spectacular in their morning oranges and yellows that announced the pending arrival of the sun for the day. My pace on the quick miles wasn't what I wanted it to be, and I don't know if it is this #@$!% hip thingee, or something more benign that just means I'm not as fast as I used to be or think maybe I still am. Time will tell.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

We have certainly evolved in the running/tech gear department!  Also in exercise nutrition.  There was no such thing as gels, waffle thingies, blocks etc "back in the day".   I drank flat Coke during my ultras.   We wore these swishy nylon pants (anyone else have the Frank Shorter silver "warm up suit" with the darker stripes down the outside of the legs and arms?) instead of tights.

3.1 drizzly miles, but not enough rain to invoke The Rule.  2.1 miles of short intervals on the treadmill after work- not sure why I did that.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Ericka - that's an excellent run for a Monday.  Yes, I know what you mean about popping off 15 to 20 milers with no support.  I always carry a drink bottle now on any run greater than 5 miles.

As Rosie noted - fizzy lifting comes from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original with the Man from Chico and the Man).  Fizzy lifting drink got Charlie and Granpa in trouble.  Fizzy lifting for me is a weight lifting session in the gym.  Spinnerooni is Booker T's signature move from his old wrestling days.  That's my term for spin class - also in the gym.

Jay - Awesome RW this morning.  The Christmas trees are in my front yard - next to the street.  There's a front row of 10 of them.  They were planted well before we bought the house in 1990.  I trim them once or twice a year to keep their shape and prevent them from growing too high.  At Christmas I string them with the large, gaudy, multi-color lights that were the rage in the 60's.  Drives the "tiny white light" neighbors nuts.

So today - a planned 7 miler "build a base" and Spinerrooni.  I'm starting to get back in shape...

Tramps

Jay--I'm surprised you're running off a well.  I would have thought the seacoast was pretty well developed and on water/sewer connections.

Jlynne—bummer about the ongoing PF.  Hang in there.  Hope your DS finds something soon.

Nice to see PBJ popping in regularly.

RCG—Ouch. That’s a heckuva commute.  On 95?  Worse.  DM me if you’re serious about meeting up (NOT a Wawa!).

Stumpy—didn’t realize Tim and Tyne were related.  Should have. I like them both.

RunnerKSA—good tastes!  If we ever got a male it was going to be Steve Earle.

Lori—yay, pushups!

TW—I laughed at the “Southern Version of ‘Nordic Biathalon’”

Flats—lightning is a great motivator.

I can’t wait to read Tet’s autobiography.  I can finally put all these individual stories into context.  (You are writing it, right?)

Since I’ve had no improvement on the knee, my doc’s calling for an MRI to see what’s going on.  Gotta set that up today.  Sigh.

Knee/hip exercises + core work + 2.5 mile run.  Nearly a deci-marathon! (I like that).

Be safe. Be kind.

I tried to post this yesterday from my cell phone, but not luck with RA's state of the art interface.  This was taken at Omak Lake by some nice guy of mariposai and me at the turn around point in our run.

Today I leave the mariposai residence for a conference up in Canada and then home on Thursday. Sad to be going. At least I hope the conference is good and people like my presentation.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tramps--what do you have against Wawa?  I consider them a treat when down in NJ or PA.  Tyne is 10 years older than Tim and appaerntly gets mistaken as his mother.  Which makes her really happy.

Just under 4 miles this morning.  A little humid, but at 58° it's pretty close to IRC for summer.  Unfortunately, not IRR (ideal running results).  A lot slower than it felt.  Hope I shake tired legs, particularly since I'm not doing that much to tire them out.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

pfriese

8 easy morning miles.

Paul

Tramps

Tramps--what do you have against Wawa?

"Hey, haven't seen you in a while!  How about we get together and catch up?"

"Okay, how about meeting at a gas station?"

Be safe. Be kind.

I love WaWa!  My favorite treat when I'm up in PA (or in Florida, as it turns out).

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

"Hey, haven't seen you in a while!  How about we get together and catch up?"

"Okay, how about meeting at a gas station?"

Ok, so it's not exactly a spot to sit and chat.  But it's more than a gas station

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I had to google wawa. I thought it a city in Ontario. Silly me.

8 miles today. Was supposed to be Bertha repeats but I only got up her once. Crappy run to be honest but the weather was fantastic. Glad I did it. And even though hubby sees no improvement, I think I made a bit of progress on my pushup today. Yes. That is singular. But hey one must start somewhere.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Dave59

Hello. I ran a couple miles this morning.

The past few days:

Cindy & I went up to my hometown of Buffalo NY on Friday for my niece's wedding on Saturday.

We toured a pretty cool Frank Lloyd Wright house finished in 1907.  (Wright built more in Buffalo than anywhere else except Chicago.)

My younger daughter was in Michigan visiting her in-laws, so on Sunday we cut across Canada to visit with her a bit. I grew up next to Niagara Falls NY  and we spent a lot of time in Canada including most of our vacations so I always enjoy coming back.  We stopped in Niagara Falls Canada for a quick peak at the Falls and to grab breakfast at an IHop.  In addition to the food bill there was a 13% sales tax and a 3% destination marketing fee.  

Gas was $1.04 a liter which seemed pretty high, but after the exchange rate ended up only being $3.01 US a gallon.  Still higher than $2.10 a gallon we paid in Ohio but at least it wasn't double.

My adopted hometown of Midland Michigan had a major flood on Friday/Saturday and many roads were still closed when we arrived on Sunday.  A little stream called Sturgeon Creek looks like a new Great Lake.  Some of my Michigan friends had flooded basements.

We drove home yesterday.

I haven't been running much but I hope to turn things around in the 2nd half of 2017.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

TomWhite - that is a big gun!

Jay - those sand sculptures are just amazing.

PBJ - I hate those "little white light"  houses.  BORING!

No run for me yesterday, I ended up choosing to be lazy and sleep in.

6.5 miles for me today in 52ish degrees.  My blister continues to be problematic, but it is improving.  Liquid Band Aid, Band Aid, and KT tape protection, plus an older shoe with the seam in a different place helped.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

I never heard of WaWa but right now we're in Pa.,so Marj informed me. We're in Gettysburg and doing a tour of the battlefield tomorrow am. Although the weather is perfect we expect to get little running in for the next couple of days. We did run 2 yesterday along a paved path beside the Ohio river in Wheeling WV. Won't be home until sometime this weekend.

Do not knock gas station dining! There is a gas station and barbecue joint in Phoenix AZ called Tom's Thumb. Just amazing food! I wound up there because it was on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/