Masters Running

Opinions on Vibram Five Fingers Please! (Read 642 times)

Went shopping for new running shoes today and the sales rep from Vibram happened to be in the store. She gave me the whole story about how shin splints stopped her from running, major problems with arches, sore this, sore that blah blah blah. She says she's now running 5-6 days a week.

I've been having issues with my left heel (not PF) and thought that just replacing my worn Sauconys might help the problem. Well, I tried a pair of the Five Fingers on and I have to say, I'm intrigued. Not enough to buy a pair yet, as making such a drastic switch when I have foot issues to begin with didn't seem like such a smart idea, but I'm wondering if anyone runs in these and could give me the pros/cons about them. They're not terribly expensive, I think $89.00 a pair.

No socks? I sweat a lot when I run but the sales rep says no problems. Apparently you just throw them in the washing machine and then let them air dry.

Does anyone run in these?

Henrun

I just got a pair for my 65th birthday  - I wouldn't buy them for myself, but I wanted to try them.  I've only run around the block in them, but they felt fine.  We've only had torrential rains & cold since then.  My plan was to use them around a local reservoir (2.5 miles) and see how they feel - probably this w/e.  I've spoken to a few people running with them (last year) and they liked them.  I have no idea if they're any better than Nike Frees or any other really light weight shoe.  To be continued....marj

JLynne - You can get lots of information on the Barefoot Runners thread.  LOTS of informed runners who use VFF as well as other types of "minimalist" shoes.  I just bought a pair of Nike Frees and intend to work my way down to the VFF's or Saucony Jazz or Bullets.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Maniac 505

Jlynne:

sorry,  no specific info on your question.  but for a long time I have been reading about your foot issues and wanted to throw out my two cents worth.

For my first 20 or so marathons,  my heels and my metetarsals were really sore after.  I couldn't imagine how some maniacs ran two marathons in two days.  I over did it a few years and wrecked my feet

After 3 months of no improvement, and no running (this was in 2008) I was refered to a podiatriast.

I was diagnosed with Bursitis and the foot doc said I should have orthotics for running.  (they tell that to everyone).

It was a long road to adjust to the orthotics..  I had almost a year with no running, but I ran 8 marathons last year with no sore feet.  I have 8 on my schedule for next year,  and I can almost imagine doing 2 in 2 days.

Good Luck

Dave

jfa

Like Leslie says, there's a lot more over on the BF thread ,but here's my take;

I have both the FF's and a recently bought pair of Feelmax Kuusa's. They both make you feel just like you're barefoot, without having to worry about every little pebble on the ground.The biggest difference between these two pairs of "barefoot "shoes is you will get a lot more funny looks while wearing the FF's.

The weather's been so crummy around here that I am just getting back into running in them again. Just like many things in life, moderation is the key. In the warm months, I probably average about 10% of my miles in these or bf. If you have a history of foot problems, I would be extremely gradual in increasing time on them. Maybe you could just try some easy running on the grass, as a test.

The Kuusa's look almost like loafers. I bought a black pair and wear them at work. Just walking around all day in them is also a good way to gauge how your feet will react. They have certainly made my feet stronger.

Good Luck.

Slo

Jlynne

Thanks for asking this question. While I don't have anything to offer the thought appeals to me. If I'm at home I'm barefoot....er, stocking foot mostly.

Here's how I'm justifing my purchase of the Vibrams FF's. 

1) We love to canoe.....The FF are supposed be great for that and cheaper than a pair of Keen's

2) RAGBRAI....I can easily carry them on the bike so I don't have to walk around in my cycling shoes.

So if they don't work for running I still have a use for them.

And in line with what Divechief said; My sister went to the Podiatrist. I told her before she went that he'll put her in a pair of Ortho's. She was told she has bursitis and needs a pair of ortho's.

I won't be buying a pair until June. Let me know what you think of them if you get a pair.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

yes, they started out as secure, nonslip footwear for slipper sail boat decks.

I tried a pair on once but it just doesn't seem to make much sense to pay $70 for a soft, flexible sole that not only feels but also looks like bare feet when you can get the same protection from sharp gravel, chipsealed pavements, etc. with $2 thongs or aquasock beach sandals  

however, fyi barefootted.com is the leading barefoot runner expert on five fingers and post on today's runningbarefoot.org board is designed to help find the right five-finger.

good luck.

========================

Hi all,
                I have added a new page to my blog with a link to an application that I created to help people navigate all the varieties of Vibram Five Finger minimalist shoes. Soon it will also have links to retailers who have those colors and sizes in stock. Please have a look, kick the tires and have fun. Also, let me know what you think.
                http://redrocksblue<wbr>sky.com/fivefing<wbr>erfinder

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

it just doesn't seem to make much sense to pay $70 for a soft, flexible sole that not only feels but also looks like bare feet when you can get the same protection from sharp gravel, chipsealed pavements, etc. with $2 thongs or aquasock beach sandals  

I always wondered about this.  I pay $85 for my Asics 1100's--a full-blown running shoe.  Why does a supposed minimal "shoe" cost nearly as much?  I don't really get it.  What are you supposed to be getting for all that money?

I may take the plunge this summer, so I'm starting to look for something minimal and cheap.  Tet, any specific brands/models to suggest?

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

One of the difficulties of this debate is that both sides, the shod and unshod, tend to have very strong opinions, based on things they have read or their own experiences with injury or lack thereof.

Just recently, "The Science of Sport" took what I thought was an objective point of view on this issue and wrote a five-part series on it.  I was so impressed with their research and the soundness of their observations, that I would suggest to anyone who is considering taking up a lighter shoe, running barefoot, running in Vibrams or Frees, to read this series. 

Unless someone has the link handy, I am sure you can just Google "The Science of Sport" and search around.  Their newsletter by email is free and there is often some great content.  Spareribs

Prince of Fatness

I always wondered about this.  I pay $85 for my Asics 1100's--a full-blown running shoe.  Why does a supposed minimal "shoe" cost nearly as much?  I don't really get it.  What are you supposed to be getting for all that money?

Tramps, this question has come up a few times on RA.  The responses I have read indicate that you get more miles out of a pair of Vibrams, therefore getting more miles per dollar.  I've never wore them so I cannot confirm this.

The thing that frustrates me about the barefoot running arguments is that it seems to be an all or nothing thing.  I do a little barefoot running and don't feel like it is all or nothing.  I think that it does help strengthen my feet and ankles.

What I would suggest to people is keep an open mind, experiment, and see what works for you.

And start in moderation.  My first barefoot run was only a couple tenths of a mile, and I felt it.  Ease into it if you do it.

Not at it at all. 

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

One of the difficulties of this debate is that both sides, the shod and unshod, tend to have very strong opinions, based on things they have read or their own experiences with injury or lack thereof.

Just recently, "The Science of Sport" took what I thought was an objective point of view on this issue and wrote a five-part series on it.  I was so impressed with their research and the soundness of their observations, that I would suggest to anyone who is considering taking up a lighter shoe, running barefoot, running in Vibrams or Frees, to read this series. 

Unless someone has the link handy, I am sure you can just Google "The Science of Sport" and search around.  Their newsletter by email is free and there is often some great content.  Spareribs

Here you go!

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2010/01/running-barefoot-vs-shoes.html

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Here is the last of the 5 parts series.  You can click on "home" and scroll down and find the other parts.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2010/03/barefoot-running-and-shoes-part-5.html

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

I just printed out the article and am looking forward to reading it.  Thanks, Ribs and Rosie.  I also signed up for the newsletter.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

An interesting read. Like Mr PH says, it does not have to be all or nothing. Just as we can use barefoot shoes or barefoot altogether as a gradual and part time augmentation to our regular shod running routine, similiar strengthening benefits can be obtained by gradually reducing the amount of cushioning in our running shoes. In other words,it may not be smart to go from top of the line Asics (heavily cushioned) to Nike Free's, but a systematic reduction can lead to lesser cushioned shoes and stronger feet and ankles.

King of PhotoShop

nj joe is the wise one.  That about sums it up.  Spareribs