Masters Running

Saturday 11/29 Master Runs and ... (Read 448 times)

I missed meeting up with the Big Boys and Girls this morning. They had gone out really early to run long. So I ran with the others who were just up at 5:00 AM. Smile I ran with a friend for the first 4 miles at her 10:45 pace. Then when she headed home to go to work, I joined another couple for the next 2 miles at their 9:40 pace. Everyone headed back, so I kept on going by myself. The last 7 miles were at 8:20ish pace. I passed a bunch of run/walkers during this stretch. Many more than are normally out there. They looked like they might be a Team In Training group getting started. Beautiful Day. 57F. Average HR 142. (125 the first 6 miles, 152 the last 7.) Enjoy it everyone! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hi Beerger! I headed out a little before 7am for 6 miles this morning. The 9:37 pace felt easier than I would have expected. We're off to Gettysburg today to check out the new visitor center and restored cyclorama. We've downloaded podcasts of Pickett's charge to our MP3 players and will do some driving and some walking of the battlefields. Continue to enjoy the holiday weekend everyone!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

There have been some more Thanksgiving races that I haven't yet aknowleged. Nice races for perch (2nd AG and PR), WRFB (3rd AG), rlememrt, fatozzig (big improvement over last year), r2farm, eliz (no foot pain), Twocat (with wife), and PDR (3rd AG and PR). Nice long runs for perch and breger. This morning it was in the mid 20s with just a light wind. I got in 8 miles in a bit over 1:19 for a 9:54 pace. We're off to the other side of the state to see my mother and sister who is here for a visit. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice 8 miler Tom! Beers...Have fun in Gettsysburg!! 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 40:09 (10:02 pace, AHR 143) Have you guys seen this series of races trademarked "13.1 Marathon" (e.g. www.131MIAMI.com) in which they say "it isn't half of anything".. In my mind, the running marathon was designated Marathon to Athens Greece and later added the .2 in London to finish in front of the Queen. To call a race a 13.1 Marathon feeds those people who ask "and how long was THIS marathon you ran?" geesh... so do you call someone who finished the "13.1 Marathon", a marathoner?

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

5 miles with DW in 47:52, it was supposed to be be a easy pace but she really pushed the pace the last mile and we finished about 2 minutes faster than usual Cool She says it was the perfect 28F sunny morning Smile I think it was her age group award last Sunday has inspired her to go faster Big grin Nice early runs out ther today! PDR enjoy Gettysburg, I'll have to get back there next year, I love everything about American history Smile Out to put up the Christmas lights since it's 40F 7 sunny this afternoon New avatar that's the Christmas Story House Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

DickyG

Raleigh (NC) authorities say a shopper clubbed an alleged carjacker with a frozen turkey as he tried to steal a woman's car in a grocery store parking lot. Police say Fred Louis Ervin of Raleigh stole money from a gas station before running across the street to a Harris Teeter store. Apparently he began beating Irene Moorman Bailey while stealing her car. Other shoppers came to her rescue, including one who hit Ervin with the turkey. The shopper, Lurlean Wallace Long, was quoted as saying "Well, I guess that was as good a way as any to tenderize the turkey....actually, I sort of tenderized both the turkeys." Twocat: Don't worry about AG awards...you'll start getting them when you get my age and everybody else in your AG passed away 5 years ago. PDR: 25:11 in your 5K...3rd in AG...that's wonderful. Why don't you scan your AG medal and send it to Twocat...make him feel better. Jeanne:
              Everyone loves the movie "The Christmas Story," so I thought I'd buy the dvd, get a bottle of Ovaltine and a box of Red Ryder bb's. What'ya think? "You'll shoot your eye out kid!"
              Definately cool! Probably wife's favorite movie of all time...every year she drags it out and makes me watch it with her. Carolyn: What is it with your weather...60 one day...29 the next..bet everyone in town has a cold... Bill: If you had found some more company, you could have gone ahead & done a whole marathon...nice run. Slogged through 4.5 miles this morning...40:34 (9:01) Ave HR 142 Max 154...really didn't feel like running..was breathing hard after about 5 yards and had to walk twice last mile...I must have gained a zillion pounds this week-end. DickyG
                Good morning everyone. I'm running in a 9 mile race tomorrow, so it's a rest day for me. Too bad, because the sky is blue, the sun is out, the wind is down and it's about 27F. There's a storm coming in later today that's going to make the race "interesting" to say the least. One to two inches of snow, wind, and colder temps. Just the way I like it. Big grin PDR - enjoy Gettysburg. That's on my list of places to visit. Lots of inspiring runs this morning. Bill and Perch, you guys never fail to amaze me. Hey Sarge - love the new avatar! I would love a leg lamp! Do you know the website? Nice run with the Mrs this morning. Glad she's keeping you on your toes! Dicky G - nice run, but bad joke! Did you hear about the Wal-Mart maintenance worker that was killed by door busting shoppers? The news said that while they had him on the ground in the entrace to the store trying to help him, people were running over and around the paramedics. What a world... Carpe diem, people.
                  Jlynne search A Christmas Story House & you'll find the website & gift shop.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

6 miles on a cold, clear, bright day around an ice-over lake at about a 9:10 pace, with the last two miles at 8:50. My fastest 6 miles and longest week of the year. I've really felt good running recently and can only hope that it will last. Unfortunately, my eventual "cure" included staying away from the online forums, and I'm going to continue to be scarce for a while yet. But I'll check in once in a while to keep tabs on you all. Best wishes for good running to everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

Steve, I believe that .2 was added for the king, not the queen, who had a cold and wanted to see the race from his balcony. Someone else chime in if you know the history. But above all, I agree with your point. Well done Breger. 3 slow recovery miles after Thursday's 8-mile Turkey Trot. Feeling just fine. Spareribs

jules2

5 miles, 40 minutes, cross country, foggy late afternoon, just above freezing, on the plus side I had forgotten what fun it is to run fast downhill on ruts and rocks as you end up leaping like a deer from one footing to another, Good luck to anyone racing tomorrow.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Renee the dog

Rochrunner, Thanks for the toenail tip -- it turns out my pedicure left a sharper edge than normal and that is indeed what caused the bloody sock. Sarge, love the new avatar. I have been cross-training so far today with packing at the old house and driving back and forth the 7 blocks 'till I'm dizzy. (er). Still slow going with the kids and all the neighbors on both ends being chatty (which is a very nice problem to have). Now I'm dehydrated and hungry. I think my run will have to be tonight after sunset. I hope Renee is up for a double as she went for a 3 miler this morning with my husband. Good luck weekend racers!!!!!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

5 miles in the sun. Everything is still at an easy pace so nothing much to report other than steady building miles. Roch, Glad to hear from you. DSounds like all is going well. Good luck Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Good runs out there so far today. Gotta love The Christmas Story...both of them! Larry, I'm with you...everything is easy pace for me also. Just building up the miles. I'll be throwing in some tempos and intervals this time around (starting next month.) Hills are also on the agenda. 6 easy miles for me this morning. The weather here in OK has been beautiful. 46F when I started, 51F when I finished. Cooking some burgers and hotlinks out on the grill, then later this evening settle in for OU vs OSU....Bedlam Football!! Go Pokes!
                              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              anachrotech

2 miles today. I went out and bought some Brooks Ariel - we'll see if these will be good for me. Funny what a wide range of opinions about pronation and flat feet you get when you buy shoes. Good runs all.