Masters Running

8.2.16 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the link to the article on racewalkng Marj. Congrats for getting out there yesterday, and for keeping up with your racewalking. Can you have someone send a short video and send it to me so I can see how you're doing?

Jlynne, I like Holly's suggestion re: DS's appliances. Regarding getting back in shape, a swim coach told me many decades ago that it takes 2 days to get back up to speed for every day you've lost. So take your time getting back into shape. You know it'll come, and that rushing it just encourages injuries.

Better old age (not that you are old) than cancer, Aamos. We do scare ourselves at times, don't we? Nice looking manatees!

I hope you are having fun with GS and friend (and shovels, pails, etc.), Tet.

That's a lot of sun and a lot of biking, Enke. Nice ride!

Welcome back to running with B&B, Tammy.

Deeze, you too need to ease your way back. But soreness and stiffness are better than the pain you've been dealing with for far too long.

Bummer, Mike. I hope today's is a better run, if you venture out.

Evanflein, it's always something, isn't it?

I did 7.3 miles of RW fartleks along the coast this morning in 67F temps and 95+% humidity - lovely. I wasn't as fast as I would have liked when I tried to be fast, but I did OK. Like Holly, I imagine, I'm still playing ketchup at work and am trying to juggle too many things and am wondering which will fall through the cracks, and how long it will take till I know they've fallen. So it goes...

Have a greata Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin'

Mike, yuck to the 84th power.  Can you walk without pain?

Thought of you this am Holls--the country club I run past (near the manatees) on most weekday mornings has a sign up advertising free golfing for kiddoes as long as they play with someone 17 or older.  Is DD good in geometry?  The part of golf that stumps me is all that figuring out how hard and at what spot to hit the ball once you're on the green.   I just like to hit drives.

And yes, I agree with Jay, Jlynne, on H's idea about the stuff.

Hiya Deeze, gladdaseeya!

And everyone.

grins,

(I think I'm a Hostess Twinkie, Steve.)

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

mrrun I imagine you figure no running in exchange for time with your family in the Berkshires was a good one. Welcome back.

Jlynne I will keep my fingers crossed for your DS#2. Good luck to him and you.

AamosY I tell people I am suffering from O-L-D. Often takes them a few seconds to get it. 

tetsujin209 steak is over! You! No! Say it is not so! My whole world view gone, gone I tell you! For someone who said they would never train again, this is pretty funny. Especially, when it looks like you are planning to start right back up. Have fun with your GS.

enkephalin true about the workout per hour tradeoff for running versus biking. There are tables around showing the comparison. Pretty much nothing beats running.

Holly S. trip over? My sympathies. Welcome back!

TammyinGP amazing how happy dogs are when they can go running with their people! Very charming in its own dog sort of way.

deez4boyz as long as things are improving that is a good sign.

Mike E maybe consider just taking a month off. No running, no cross training, no nothing? I know it is tough. But it took me 6 weeks of that to clear up all my aches and pains this past winter.

evanflein mmm berries! Ship to Twocat at . . .  Make sure you send them next day air, I want them fresh. 

SteveP I could use an extra handyman to fix various appliance issues at my house. Not GS work, but how 'bout  it? 

coastwalker must have been a lot nicer were you are than where I am this morning. Rained hard here in CT until about 9am. Fartleks take a kind of discipline I have never been capable of.

I managed to get out yesterday morning (early) and run 16. Trying to get back to where I left off when my toe went south. Under my regular schedule this would have been 16 with some miles at MP. Instead I am going to treat it as my first ramp up to 20. So 16 slow this week, 18 slow next week and 20 slow the following. Then back to 16 when I will see about adding in faster miles. As to this morning, it was raining and in any case it was a scheduled elliptical day, so that is what I did. Tomorrow it is a 6am run with my training partner. I am guessing it will be around 8 miles but with her, who knows.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Went up to Cougar Mtn again, and did 6.4 miles.  It started pouring rain at one point, which we haven't had in weeks.  I enjoyed the rain....(Twocat, close your eyes.....)  But I really do!   Today's run was much better than Saturday's.  No knee pain at all, and so virtually no walking (except the super steep hills).  Feeling good.  I am convinced the biking is great for my knee.

So, I've got this 10K trail run on Saturday, and I'm doing a 10.4 mile, 3500 ft elevation hike on Thursday with MBE and his daughter.  Not sure if that is going to help or hurt my run two days later, probably hurt it a little, but it's not like I am going to win the race!   I did it two years ago, and was pretty far down in the standings.  It is paired with a mountain summit run - a roundtrip 21K run up 5000 feet and down.  That's nuts.  But interesting to see the rock hard bodies with giant quads that take off to do that race.

Mike, that stinks...hope it gets better soon.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

mrrun

mrrun I imagine you figure no running in exchange for time with your family in the Berkshires was a good one. Welcome back.

did i mention it was pouring rain sunday morning - rules are rules!!!!

Jay, it sounds like you had a great get away.  tet, good job in the marathon and in your streak.  Nice long runs for DrRobin, Aamos, and Twocat.

I've been struggling.  One day last week, when I was planning to run, I couldn't make myself get out the door.  Yesterday, I didn't want to go out but did and only made it two miles at an 11:57 pace.  It was hard and I walked a couple more miles.  This morning was only slightly better.  I had a hard time convincing myself to go out and only did 3 miles at an 11:24 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Since I went fishing this morning instead of running and am much better at tapering than at streaking maybe I'll be able to help Mike in his.  After all the streaking in July accumulated more training miles in a month than racing miles for one of the few times in my life, I got a lot of tapering to do before the Portland Marathon.

enks - have a happy, but probably somewhat sore, trail race,

running when you wouldn't have otherwise run.

That's what races are for.

ps - I'd really like to cycle around Lake Washington

someday but wouldn't have any idea where to go,

especially around Renton, etc.

pps - no particular reason

but you might like triathlons too, . . .

at least the younger age groups

ps jay - did you run before RW?

how did you start RW?

do you RW at least 6day/week now?. .

sounds, like a streak to me.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Hey. Not much time, but wanted to report in with 5.8 miles this afternoon at a pretty good pace, almost a progressive pace BUT I stopped a lot to try to adjust my shoe for the %*$!& blister I seem to have developed. WTH? This right foot is driving me nuts. Everything else feels ok but now a blister where I don't think I've ever had one before. And these are the shoes I ran in on Sunday with no issues at. all. I just don't get it.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Lurking and enjoying the folks not on the DL. Go out and run! I love it!

18 days post-op. Long road ahead of me before I can run again. I might have wrecked my surgery. Long story, big mistake. Also. I go back to see Dr. 10th Grader on the 23rd. Will probably have to have diagnostics re: left hip as it is symptomatic. And possibly the right shoulder that I separated a few years ago. It is a bit crunchy. Oh, and tons of blood work to see what the heck is going on with my feet.  I can't get into see the rheumatologist until October. My PCP is in charge right now and he is a good guy.

As I told my friend... I am so sick of myself!

So here's the good news!  DS1 has a big job interview on Thursday!  4 hours long. Meeting with 7 different people. He will get a tour and they are taking him out to lunch. He moved home this past weekend because his lease in Blacksburg ran out.  The potential job would be 3 hours west of here. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. It's been quite an educational journey. He needs a job.

More good news. DD is now 17.5 weeks pregnant and the little kumquat is already in training... In other words, DD is happily feeling the baby move.

DS2 is still teaching pre-school but, it is summer so it's more like daycare now.  My sister thinks he should get his teaching certification and work in the school system (she works at the same place as DS2) He has a BS in Biology. He needs to think about a career that will sustain him.

I was happy to read about Evan's son coming home. Thank you for his service. And give him our thanks, too.

Be well, and keep on moving!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

SteveP

TwoCat, being your own handyman is simple. Keep in mind, simple doesn't mean easy. If a professional can make a repair in two hours, I plan on taking 17 hours. Will making sure I have the correct equipment cost for than hiring someone? Then picturing the worst case scenario when I really screw up. There are also the projects I have to ask myself, "Do I really want to do this?".

Hang in there TomS. You've motivated more than one person here.

SteveP