Masters Running

Welcome to the Saturday 10/28 Daily (Read 39 times)

I have been AWOL from RA due to work this past week so I feel a bit odd starting the daily. But someone has to!

I have been reading the daily. stumpy77 I am glad to see you have rule #1 memorized as well as its subclauses. Very important!

Yesterday's discussion of running alone or in groups was interesting. I would much, much rather run with company. Even in races. If I get a chance to hook up with and talk to another runner I will jump on the chance.

I have been really busy at work trying to meet a number of deadlines. Next week looks bad too. Although, I am going to get a chance to go to Houston for a few days. That means Texas barbecue! As to running today I went to the track to run 5x1000m intervals. This is a relive video of it. I think it is pretty funny. Wait until you get to where I am going round and round and round the track. Good for a little chuckle.

https://www.relive.cc/view/g15172390765

In nonrunning news I made a couple of loaves of Irish brown bread. I owe mariposai a big note of thanks for sending me some of her homemade coarsely ground whole wheat flour. The stuff you can get in the store is too fine to reproduce the texture you find in Ireland. The bread, however, is of some minor significance to me in its own right. As I recover from the surgery on my tongue I have slowly recovered my ability to eat various types of food. Recently, I was able to again eat dry foods like bread and crackers. The bread I baked was my little celebration of being able to eat it again!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...ok. the video is Hilarious........

=========

...50-min PoolRun with letters....

some sort of

SwimMeet at the Y

so I hope I can get in one more

before I have to leave for the hospital

..........good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

The video is great!   The bread looks wonderful.  I want some.

I was really exhausted from my week and all my travel in October, and there was no way I needed to get up and start a group run in the dark at 6:30.  I finally took myself over to the path and managed 7 miles.  My legs are tired from trying to keep up with the stupid pace bunny.  Got it done.  Less than the hoped for 10, but more than the single mile I wanted to do!   It was 39 degrees and gloomy.  I never remember what I wear when each new season comes- even after 40 years of running.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning, everybody!

Yep--running in circles looks kind of funny from that view.

When is your surgery, TW?

I got in 6 miles before the kids showed up for practice, this morning, then did another 5 1/2 with them.  I had nothing in the legs, this morning, so it was good that about 5 girls and 5 boys showed up for our two state qualifiers to push them along.  It was a fun little group.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

When is your surgery, TW?

...Halloween, I go in Monday afternoon......

I am putting Tet in Charge til I get back

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

metalmancpa

I just got back from picking up my bib for tomorrow's marathon. Even though I am not 100% (virus/cold/something) I have decided I am just going out tomorrow to cover 26.2 miles in any way in which my body will allow. I will go out hoping for the best, but will do whatever my body tells me during the race. Even though my Mom's passing 3 weeks ago put some doubt into me running the race, based on not primo training the past couple of months, I just want to run it, period.

Now, the Expo. There have been several items on my wish list, most importantly a watch to replace my Garmin Vivoactive. It's been a great watch for me, but lately I've had a few blips and feel it's time for an upgrade. I am wearing the Vivoactive tomorrow, but I think it's obvious the Expo sucked some $'s out of my wallet. So here's what I ended up walking out of the Expo with, far surpassing any Expo previous. I did by my first Hoka's at a previous Expo.

• Garmin Forerunner 935. I've had my eyes on various Garmin's, and I know this is top of the line next to the Fenix. But I just liked this one the best based on my research.
              • Garmin HRM-4 Run Premium heart rate strap. Yes the 935 has HR on the wrist, but in cold weather I know it can be effected. This HRM has all the dynamics of the Garmin running pod, and I'm so used to wearing a strap decided to get it.
              • Garmin carrying case - just because.
              • Weatherproof running jacket with hood (Saucony). Because of my asthma and propensity to get bronchitis/pneumonia annually, I like to keep above the waist dry. I have a heavier waterproof rain jacket, but this one is much lighter.
              • Running spikes - I have put hex screws in an older shoe for winter/ice here in the Northeast. I figured why not get an "official" spike probably made better than a hardware hex screw.
              • Running hat - I wear one every run and needed a second one anyways.
              • Running mittens - I have Raynaud's, and can have miserable numb feelings on the fingers during winter runs even with 2 pairs of gloves. I know mittens are generally warmer, and these seemed good enough to try.

So, $700 later, I have stuff. And the main reason I took the plunge was that the Garmin stuff was 10% off, and I never have seen their current stuff on sale anywhere here or online. I am looking forward to playing with the watch this upcoming week when I probably won't run much post marathon.

Going for an easy 2 to 3 miler today as I didn't run yesterday due to feeling crappy. At least that will get me to 20 miles this week before the race, which is 50%+ less than my normal weekly mileage. Taper just happened.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Metal--they must have been happy to see you coming!  You're doing Cape Cod?  (too lazy to go back and look).  Also can't remember--are you in the NE/Boston area?  Have a great race and enjoy yourself.  Hope you'll be done by the time the miserable weather comes in.

My usual 3.1 lake loop at the very civilized hour of 9am.  For all my early morning runs, I'm thinking I'm not really an early morning runner.  I felt like I was really plodding, but still ended up under 10m/m pace.  Certainly not speedy, but a lot faster than it felt.

I've had a synovial cyst on a finger along with random sore toe joints for the past couple of years that I attributed to O.L.D. and arthritis.  Turns out I've got gout. Joy, Joy.  Although I guess it might actually be easier to get rid of than arthritis.  So I have to go see a rheumitologist in a week or so and find out what I need to do.  Have a feeling I may not like some of the dietary changes.

Surgery on Halloween--can't beat that, TW.  I'll be thinking of you while I put out my decorations.  Hope it goes as well as the first.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

metalmancpa

Metal--they must have been happy to see you coming!  You're doing Cape Cod?  (too lazy to go back and look).  Also can't remember--are you in the NE/Boston area?  Have a great race and enjoy yourself.  Hope you'll be done by the time the miserable weather comes in.

Yes I'm doing Cape Cod. Only 1,000 runners, perfect for me for my first time. I live on the south shore between Boston & Cape Cod. According to the weather, it looks like the rain will hold off, but the wind will be somewhere between 20-30MPH with gusts. Since it's one big loop from Falmouth to N Falmouth down to Woods Hole and back to Falmouth, should get a nice mix of head/side/tail winds. Temps look to be in the low 60's.

Tramps

Good luck metalman.  Hope the weather holds out.  That's quite an expo haul!

Stumpy--Gout.  Ouch, my father had that.

TW--if I don't catch you before then...good luck with the surgery.  It'll be a good thing to finally get done.

I love running alone for the solitude and to go my own pace.  However, early on in marathons, I'd often try to chat with someone going my pace. It helped me relax and just get in a groove, without thinking too much. Thanking volunteers does that for me, too. Later on in the race, when more focus was required, I'd run silently again. With the dramatic growth of headphones, though, there seemed to be fewer and fewer opportunities to chat that way.

Spent the morning stacking up firewood that arrived yesterday and doing a little splitting, too. This year, we bought from a farmer acquaintance who does this on the side in the off-season. We paid for 2 cords but I think he gave us closer to 3.  Nice guy. My back felt it when I was done, so I think I'll skip the planned afternoon ride.  Tomorrow's supposed to be a nasty, rainy, gusty day so wood-stacking may turn out to be my only exercise.  Well, that and toilet-scrubbing. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, quick post then I'm headed towards the coast to see my sister and her family....and mom is with her.  But before I left, I got in 17+ miles at a sub 8:30 pace.  Probably my last long run before Richmond in two weeks (will try to get 12 next Saturday, but it's a drill weekend....).

Have a great day everyone!

Nice haul, metal!  I still have the Garmin 235 and like it a lot.  Give us a report on your new Garmin after a week or two.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Hey everyone. Hope your Saturday is going well. Wow - $700 at an expo!? That's great, and I'm sure the vendors really appreciated your business metalman.

Congrats on the bread/cracker upgrade Twocat! Your Irish brown bread looks amazing.

Tet's in charge while Tom is in the hospital? Oh-oh   Good luck with everything Tom. You gotta feel better after this is done, right? After living with DH for 5 weeks post knee replacement surgery, he's wishing the progress was coming along more quickly, but very happy with his decision to have it done.

Nice running (twice) this morning Mike!

I bailed on the 10k version of the Spooky Sprint this morning and opted for the 5k.  It was 37°, overcast and windy with light mist at the start.  Ran with a group of 10 women of assorted ages and paces and everyone pretty much split up about half mile into the race. I ended up 3rd in the women's 60+ AG but don't have official times or number of people in the category. According to my watch, I was just under 30 minutes which is pretty fast for me lately. got a cool little trophy with a pumpkin on it!

I stopped at the last farmer's market of the season after the race and loaded up on stuff. Grilled pork chops with acorn squash, fresh green beans and homemade applesauce on the menu for tonight. Yum!

We watched "Psycho" last night and found "The Shining" for tonight, interspersed with the World Series.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

mrrun

jlynne - congrats on race

twocat - congrats on food

stumpy - my brother had to give up spinach and asparagus to control his gout low glycemic maybe

waving to all others

biggest shout-out to COASTWALKER AKA JAY for being an awesome RD this morning.  thoroughly enjoyed by family & GS got first in AG (won a neat bag with grin from ear to ear- age 9) and beat DD by about 20 seconds - 

marj

MTA: stumpy - avoid foods high in purines - nothing to do with glycemic

Quickadder

10 mile trail race completed. Full report in the RR thread. My MapMyRun showed 11.3 miles at 9:14 pace. Was totally alone for the last 7 miles - no other runners in sight. Was difficult to maintain a race frame of mind and I would have appreciated a pacer.

Metal, all the best for your marathon debut tomorrow. Enjoy!

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

TammyinGP

HM done. probably one of my slowest, if not my slowest. but got in the miles and no walking, which was goal #1. so I guess I'd call it a good day. 
                                will do a brief RR later in the appropriate thread.

Tammy