Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 9.16.17 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday's workouts:

RunnerKSA (2.6 morning miles)

Tomwhite (45 min, X-Bike)

Holly (8.1 miles in 65° temps)

Tet (5 miles with a cooling, smoke-clearing north breeze)

Dave (8.46 miles, quicker than the last 1.5 hr run, feeling good)

Catwhoorg (6.5 lunchtime miles + 15ish bike miles, dodging power line crews)

Mike (9.3 miles, including 2 before practice, 3.5 with XC kids, and 3.8 with Ryan)

Continuing discussions and proof (thanks, StarrRuns) about past and future RA meetups. Could there be one in Boston the week of Oct. 9 with Evanflein? Hope so...

What is the new sekret to posting photos on RA, and to have them stick? Is it using Holly's trick of going from Facebook to here?

It's great to read about the runs and work that Tammy and Mike are doing with their respective XC teams.

Tammy, I agree that for-profit, from away race organizers are more likely to cancel a race than locals (Vancouver Marathon?). There are many, many good reasons to stick with races organized locally, and those that benefit various local non-profits.

Twocat, as we were coming home through Hampton last night, I saw the RTB arrow signs, telling the relay runners which way the route goes. Made me a little nostalgic for the race too, even though I haven't nearly the history with it as you. However, the weather has been damp/rainy from yesterday afternoon on, and it still is this morning, so it wouldn't have been the best of conditions for a 36-hr. relay. And, as Stumpy said, you've had something more important to work on this year.

Today is our 39th wedding anniversary. We're going to the farmer's market this morning, out to dinner tonight, and then going on a cruise to the Isle of Shoals (12 miles off the coast) for some fresh sea air and a little exploration tomorrow. Maybe we'll do some window-shopping and gallery hopping in Portsmouth today too.

6.3 RW miles this morning in 64° temps and mizzle that fizzled to a mist by the time I got back home. Always strange and somehow a bit unnerving to see millions of tiny drops of water seeming to come straight toward me in the cone of light from my headlamp. I feel like I should duck out of the way, but I never do, and nothing every happens - except that I get a bit damp.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy anniversary, Jay and Carolyn!

Solid foggy day day on the lake this morning  and I'm still working up ambition to go run the big hill.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

Happy Anniversary Jay - and great way to celebrate with RW, dinner, and cruise!

Stumpy - go get that hill!

Biked short distances yesterday and today and theater this afternoon.  Both days thought I would be caught in mizzle, but didn't happen.

happy w/e,

marj

Henrun

Short bike ride with Marj followed by short RW/run in a very humid fog.

Happy anniversary Jay. Great time to visit the shoals.

Happy Anniversary, Jay!  Sounds like fun plans.

13 miles with the running group.  I ran a little faster than I wanted to go on the way out to try to keep some of them in sight.  On the way back I actually had some company since a few of them had slowed down.  I did my walk breaks but not every mile on the mile, and I shortened them to about 45 seconds.  Started out at 62 degrees but was a little warm at the end, even though we started at 6 am.  It also got a little trafficky towards the end.  It's a nice route on a "rural" but close to town road, but it does get some traffic as the morning progresses.  Lots of bikes on that road, too.   There's a church along the route (our turnaround today) which is small but has a mission of "doors open for athletes" and they have a nice water fountain and bathrooms that bikers and runners are welcome to use.   We put some money in the till if we have some with us.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Well, I worked up SOME ambition.  2.2 miles that included part of the big hill.  Naked because I forgot to pack the garmin.  Love the lake at this time of year--with kids back in school, it's very peaceful.  Today is predicted to be 80, so not exactly September weather.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Since I have been off the forum for so long - I had to go back and figure out why Twocat could not eat solid food.  OMG!!!  You trooper!  Hope you are healing up well.  Sounds just so painful and awful.

No run to report but yesterday Mr. Blue Eyes and I hiked up Granite Mountain.  8.6 miles round trip with 3800 feet of elevation gain. I would post a photo if I knew the easiest way to do it.  Since I haven't been running or hiking, that hike totally wiped me out.  I was so sore last night - feet just aching.  I refused to take any ibuprofen and toughed it out.  Today my feet are ok, but my quads are screaming.

It was a beautiful hike - but I felt uneasy at the top - a bit of vertigo I guess.  Sitting on top of a pile of boulders looking down 4000 feet.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

spacityrunner

Nice hiking Enke

Go run stumpy...hills are our friends!

Speaking of hills...7 miles at 7 a.m. with friends.  Then I hosted them for breakfast at my home.  Eggs, ham, toast, fruit and coffee.  It was a great way to start my day.

Trails Rock!

coastwalker happy anniversary! More importantly, I note the next year your anniversary falls on a Sunday. Does this mean you are back on the team, assuming we get one together? <Insert praying emoji here>

stumpy77, mrrun and Henrun same here. Weather fit for a frog.

RunnerKSA that is so cool, a church with a sign "doors open for athletes." I pass a church and a temple on my long route, boy I wish they had such a sign!

enkephalin first, welcome back to the forum. We missed you. Tough hike with that elevation gain. Around here it is not ibuprofen, it is vitamin I and you can therefore take it without having taken any drugs. Just a vitamin.  No, for real, my DW and our friends do call it vitamin I.

spacityrunner sound like a great running group you have there. I wish I was hooked into something similar. Alas, the local running clubs are not all that much fun and I have stopped going to them.

As others have reported the weather in New England would only make a frog happy. The dew point during my run today was 70°. Nevertheless, I got out to do my 20 mile run. Done. that is all the good I will say about it. Next week I am going to try for 22. I have 9 days left to be able to start eating solid food and talk for 90 minutes at a time without ending up in pain. If by 9/25 I still cannot, I need to cancel all of my Australia and Asia talks for October. Wish me luck between now and then. I fear that am going to need it.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

I am wishing good luck and praying for a speedy recovery for twocat. I know you really want to go to Australia.

Jsy, happy anniversary. I miss our relay team this year too, but this year was a tough tear for our captain.

Kudos to all the great runners today. I ran 3 loops around Green Lake  in Seattle today. We are having a great time with our son Daniel and his precious girlfriend Alexa.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Around here it is not ibuprofen, it is vitamin I and you can therefore take it without having taken any drugs. Just a vitamin.  No, for real, my DW and our friends do call it vitamin I.

And don't we hear all the time that Inflammation is Bad?

Jay - Happy Anniversary!

RunnerKSA - very cool church.

I am slowly harvesting my garden.  Instead of snipping leaves off the kale plants, I pull a few every few days and then snip the leaves.  (I use kale in my Nutribullet shakes.)  The carrots are getting pulled slowly, but they will go until first frost, so I am not rushing them.  I pulled some of my tomato plants today, as the pests seem to be getting to them.  The peppers are still doing well.  Frankly, it is ME that wants to be done with the garden....

Just 3.45 miles for me today and about 20 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Happy anniversary, Jay! 39 years, wow.

KSA that is very nice of the church to do that. Glad you had a good run, even if faster than planned. Your starting temp was my ending temp, today.

Enke, very glad to have you posting here again. You really were missed.

Have fun with your DS and his GF, Mariposai! I've done that run around Green Lake and it's very nice.

Hills are our friends? I don't know, I'm convinced Ester Dome was trying to kill some of us out there today. I put a race report (of sorts, mostly copied from my log) in the weekend's RR thread. Now I've had a shower, some yummy lunch and doing laundry. I did have a couple of "incidents" out there today, such as rolling my ankle at about mile 3.5 and coming down pretty hard on it. Running rooty trails, I'm used to a certain amount of this and usually you can feel that you're going to do it and shift your weight to the other foot. Today I didn't see it coming and came down hard on the outside of my ankle. It hurt like a b.... for about 3-4 minutes, then faded away. Almost as soon as I finished though the outside of my foot started hurting. Now it's pretty sore as is my ankle. Damn. The fall on the out-and-back was nothing in comparison, but garnered a lot more attention ("are you ok?" "are you able to go on?" "are you hurt?") which I thought was kind of weird. But, oh well. I landed on my hands and right knee, and was basically fine.

Equinox #13 is in the books with a 4:19:08, not a bad time for all that and the calf cramps. Gotta get out and do more hills to prepare for this race, the last couple of years the cramps have been pretty bad. There were several people who ran slower times than they expected, and a couple who should be top 10 finished behind me (I was 23rd of women). Not sure if it's because the temps were so cold at the start? Does that really take that much out of you? Hard to tell. It was mid-30's at the start, but about 60 by the time I finished.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Put on a birthday party for my daughter, her 6th, which was quite the workout in of itself.

Waterslide was up, and I was outside getting slowly cooked by the last vestiges of summer.

Everyone had a blast, which was the goal.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

We had a meet, today.  We didn't do all that great but I still enjoyed being with the kids and watching their efforts.  I watched one girl's face as she came into the finishers' chute--it went from a total grimace--to a quick smile when she saw the clock--then right back to the grimace. Her first words were, "I PR'd by 40 seconds!"   I just love that stuff.

I went a total of 10.9 miles running around the course before the races started.

Okay--that's all I got--I am totally beat.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I guess I did an enke today as, I don't know how many everyone else has but The Equinox is one of three races from my past for me that comes to life on the autumnal equinox weekend, Fourth-of-July, and October 10 so, especially after Monday's frolic in the sun at Paradise at the base of the Mt. Rainier alpines, I decided to hike up the biggest local hiking destination at nearby Mt. Si  probably an easy, unremarkable  3,000' from the 100+ car parking to the start of the bolder fields that lead further up a Class 3 ascent a couple more hundred feet to the summit but I don't/can'T go that far

Kind of a pathetic choice as it's nothing like The Equinox in toughness and it wasn't that bad when I'd pretty much run all four miles up a less than 1.5 hours in a summit race about 20 years ago.  Even won a pair of Merrilll Sierra Leone's I decided to wear for the first time today over the sharp-rocked trail.

Well, like the formerly simple 3.5 mile  Skyline Trail in the lower alpines of Mt Rainier at Paradise that did me in on Monday, Mt. Si's all-of-a-sudden become extremely daunting too and took all day until getting back down to the trailhead at 5:30pm exactly where I stupidly thought I'd be by noon, or, at the latest, 1-1:30pm.  Whew.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)