Masters Running

Monday, June16th Daily Runs (Read 460 times)

With a short month, June is now entering the second half. Where DOES the time go? I was happy with two medium length runs over the weekend. The heat drove me in earlier than expected on Sunday. They are forecasting a little bit of a break with the temperatures this week. As always, thanks for each one's participation in the daily thread here. It is always fun to grab a quick look during the day and seeing just how the conversation unfolds. Yesterday's Father's Day comments were neat. Many of you men have super attitudes that does not surprise me, but is still nice to see. Good luck with the runs that you do today. Avoid injury if you can. Prevention is a LOT better plan that trying to work on recovery. Have a great day.
    Vista

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I know why June is going by so fast for you, Vista.. so much going on! 4.1 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 39:38 (9:50 pace, AHR 143). Muggy 67F but cooler than it has been. Lots of bunnies out this morning. We saw about 5 but Tory just chased one. Nothing sore or stiff this morning (yea) Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! 7 comfortably-paced miles with CNYrunner (ave pace 9:31) in a pleasant 63 degrees. I warned Karin that it might be an extremely slow recovery run, what with my LR yesterday, but in fact I was surprised at the sproink left in my legs, and the miles flew by as we chatted away. I got to pick her brain on training tips and strategies, and we talked about other topics as well. I love it when Karin visits. Smile Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Greetings from Ohio, I am just back from another lovely and fun run with Holly. Thanks Holly my friend. It was great to see you and of course get some running accomplished as well. You gave me much needed energy for the day ahead. Seven miles and life is good. I hope I'll be back soon. You were in rare form last night folks as I read the last entries on Sunday’s thread. I was laughing so hard at the gate for my connecting flight (delayed in Cleveland for 4 hours) I needed the laugh. First I hear a roar from the bar/grill a few gates away as Tiger extended the suspense for 18 more holes, and then I watch Steve’s video link and then Rick Rolling! WRFB! Oy….that’s my husband’s name, so he is bombarded with that. I wonder what Rick Astley thinks? Tet!!! We sing the MTA song all the time…poor Charlie and amazing Ned. You too….sleeping and running are two activities I try to keep separate as much as possible. You are amazing. Home tonight and then off to San Jose, CA on Tuesday afternoon and LA after that. I’ll be staying with one of my college buddies in LA---can’t wait. Work and some play. Good day all, have a great one! CNYrunner/Karin P.S. As for the discussion about memorizing pace from yesterday, indeed I run pace runs all the time and even created a category for that in my running log here. It takes practice, but it does work. I try to get to the point where even a few seconds slower or faster feels obvious. It’s not exactly a tempo run or a marathon pace run in strictest terms, but a run where the goal is to stay on pace until it’s part of your muscle memory whatever pace that might be. I do these on familiar routes and look at my watch only at the very start and the very end.
            Good morning, everyone. Karin - I wondered if anyone saw my Rick Roll last night -- glad you got a kick out of it. Finally back home -- hopefully for a while this time. Some strength training today. Starting to think about vacation coming up in a week and a half. Can't wait.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tet... Will he ever return? No, he'll never return and his fate is still unlearned.
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                Good morning Boomers. The wedding is over, our family guests left this morning, life is slowly getting back to normal. The wedding went really well, and the bride was absolutely stunning. We were blessed with a beautiful sunny day and everything went off without a hitch. Will try to post pictures later. I also ran a 10K last Saturday before the wedding. It was too warm (70F) at the start and I didn't pace myself well. Ran the first two miles in 8:50 and knew I was going to be in a world of hurt. Sure enough, around the 4 mile mark I got a really bad side stitch and had to stop and walk through it for a while. Never really recovered after that and finished in 59:10. I was really disappointed after having a good half marathon in May. But, I ran it with my sisters and still managed to finish 11th in my AG, so life will go on. I didn't get to read yesterday's posts yet, but am interested in the talk about pace. That seems to be my problem lately - taking off too quickly, then paying the price later in a race. That's something I really need to work on. Nice runs Perch, Holly and Karin. You girls are so lucky to have the opportunity to run together. It's nice you get to do that every now and then. Holly - is the kitchen completely finished now? I took a week of vacation to rest up, clean up and get things back to normal. Off to do laundry, put toys away and get the house back in shape. Hopefully, catch some of the US Open this afternoon. Tiger Woods is really something, isn't he? Good Monday runs, everyone. Jeanne Oh, yeah - ran 6.4 this morning at a 9:31 pace. Nice and cool here, just the way I like it!
                  Good morning, all! Looks like I will have to find time to read the weekend dailies. I worked at home last week, so I'm slow in getting back in the swing at work. Vista - you are so right about prevention being better than trying to recover from an injury. Perch - only one bunny chase?? Was Tory being lazy?? CNY and Holly - your runs together always sound like so much fun. No run for me today. I'm trying to follow a training schedule this time and not overdo it (injury prevention!!). 70 minutes of core and weights this morning. Arms were suitably rubbery at the end of the workout. I did 14.5 wet, mushy miles on the trail yesterday morning with DH. It started raining in earnest within the first half mile and only got worse from there. I tried to dodge puddles and streams for the first couple of miles and then I gave up when I became totally soaked. I didn't notice it during the run, but I had some serious chafing issues in spite of liberal use of Body Glide. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

Good to see Karin and Holly getting a run in together this morning! My usual 5.2 mile route @ 9:16 pace. I did not know about "rickrolling." After having wasted 3 minutes of my life, I now have another reason to hate WRFB...besides the fact that he never gives me beer....and he's much faster than me.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tet... Will he ever return? No, he'll never return and his fate is still unlearned.
                      ...he may ride forever 'neath the Streets of Boston..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Well, I handed in my dime at the Kendall Square Station and I changed for Jamaica Plain. When I got there the conductor told me 3 more miles but I couldn't finish that recovery run. Sore foot and fatigue I guess. I got in 1.1 miles and decided to come back another day. Speaking of amusing posts, this one lit me up, from Francesca yesterday: "Tet, I had to read your post a couple of times over to fully grasp what you did over the weekend...." Gee, someone had to read one of Tet's posts twice to understand what he meant. Nice long trail work yesterday for you Sue. Spareribs
                        dg.

good morning Smile Holly, you've sure been sproinky lately. yay! Jeanne, I'm glad the wedding went well, & congrats on your 1/2, even though it didn't turn out exactly as you wanted. enjoy this week, you've earned it. Thanks Perch Big grin. Tory is certainly becoming a mature young man. my how the time flies. no run for me either but it would have been much more fun! 20 minutes of yoga, 30 minutes of Prehab, then outside to clean the gutters. eeewww! I couldn't do them last fall because of my hammies, so they were majorly nasty. Glad that's done. The roof was a little wetter than I'm comfortable with; I was a little rubbery too. But not as much as Sue! Sue that was a lot of mushy trail running. I haven't done it but it sounds like it was an incredible workout. I'll be interested to read how this training schedule works out for you. mta. tw, so glad for you. dancing bananas. SR, I'm sorry your foot is sore. /// I also enjoyed that line.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - is the kitchen completely finished now?
                            Not yet. DH asked me to help him with his outside project this weekend, so the kitchen waited patiently. I did find time to use the sander to do a light sanding of the cabinets and the doors, which I have taken off, and tonight I will begin painting them. I’m glad the wedding went so well, and even the race, though not what you wanted, was a nice accomplishment on this crazy-busy weekend. Will you post a picture of the happy couple?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Good morning Boomers. The wedding is over, our family guests left this morning, life is slowly getting back to normal. The wedding went really well, and the bride was absolutely stunning. We were blessed with a beautiful sunny day and everything went off without a hitch. Will try to post pictures later.
                              It is so great to hear that the wedding was as wonderful as you had hoped to be!! I can't wait to see the pictures. How lucky you are to have been able to run a 10k with your sister!!! Great finish time too. Enjoy your week off. Thank goodness is a rest day for me since the legs are dead tired after yesterday's 3 hours of hiking up and down the mountain hunting for morel mushroom. On the way home DH drop me off on the trail so I can do some trail running. 7 magical running miles in the woods crowned my great day. Rest day today and Portland marathon training week one will start tomorrow.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Yesterday we went to see our kids and future daughter in law and had dinner with them. It was a nice day. Reading the posts from yesterday about fathers was interesting. I'm happy for all who had fathers present and had a good relationship with them. I feel bad for those of you who didn't but you seem to have done much better with your own kids. My dad was the stereotypical member of "The Greatest Generation". He was raised during the depression on an 80 acre family farm where the work was done with a team of horses and people. There was a hand pump and a "little house" out back of the family home and the first part of his growing up was done without electricity. He joined the army before Pearl Harbor and fought in Germany in WWII. After the war, he got his college degree using the GI Bill. He had a strong work ethic and his family was very important to him. He's been gone for 15 years now and is really missed. biketm, nice 10K with 2nd in AG and 16 miles for the day. Dave, congrats on the longest run in a year. CNY, nice 10K with 1st in AG and 2nd woman. Holly, nice 5K. anachrotech, I wish you good luck in finding shoes that work for you. Steve, nice, scenic, pictures. Tall, nice 5K with 1st in AG and 3rd OA. hallar, sorry to hear your knee acted up. I hope it's not serious. tet, you must have been around a bunch of kids if they don't know about "the man who never returned". Obviously a lot of us remember. Jlynne, it sounds like a nice wedding and 10K with your sisters beforehand. It was great to read about another Holly/CNY run. There sure were a lot of nice long runs (some real long) for Sarge (part with wife), Franc (trails), LaVitaDolce, mari, breger, Tramps, Peter, Twocat, WRFB, PDR, perch, ribs, CNY, and Holly. For the past couple of weeks, I've felt that progress was being made with my hamstring and then, as reported, I cut saturday's run short because of it. Even though I did not run yesterday, it was noticeable as I went about my day. This morning, I was nervous and unsure as to what to do. I decided to try a little and shorten my stride to see if that would help. It wasn't too bad and I did a cautious 2 miles in a little under 10 minutes for a 9:53 pace. My fingers are now crossed for a return to where I thought I was in my recovery. A good day and good runs for all. TomS