Masters Running

Closed thread..... (Read 256 times)

OK.......so I ended up with a closed thread again. Anyone have a theme that needs to be handled here? I am open for suggestions. We could just make this an "open" closed thread.
    Vista

Marathon Maniac #3309

Something I have always wanted to discuss is - the single most thing / things runners have changed to help stay injury free, and enjoy running more.....When I first started running a very few years back, I ran fast all the time and suffered through serious bouts of ITBS and PF. What has helped me: - Shorten my stride greatly - Learned forefoot running, vs being a hard heel striker (probably the most important one that helped me} - Learn to run slower most of the time - that was hard for my ego - Stop stretching before running... as matter of fact, I really don't stretch much anymore. My injuries I mentioned above did not go away till I quit stretching...I was just aggravating the injured areas. Since these small changes, I am running injury free, and running the most miles I ever have in my life Smile What's some of your secrets to injury free running, and battle plans once injured. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm confused about the stretching thing in general - I hope that study clears some things up. I haven't been stretching beforehand, either, and now I have achilles tendonitis to deal with. My physical therapist said I MUST stretch ahead of time, and after as well. Confused My battle plan is to do exactly what they tell me to do in PT - ice, ibuprofen, treatments, stretching, and rest. When I try running, I will stop immediately if I feel any pain at all. Sunday I felt a little burning sensation, so I didn't keep going. I run on the indoor Y track so I'm not tempted to run home as I would be in my neighborhood. I've also started hitting the Y every day for the elliptical, stationary bike, pool swimming, or arc trainer.
          The single biggest thing to keep from getting injured is to run the vast majority of the miles easy or at recovery pace. Running hard - even running at your steady-state pace - all the time will where you down eventually. Save the racing for race day. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Yep, pretty much what you all have said. Shorten stride, SLOW DOWN, treat rest and recovery as sacred, ICE ICE ICE, self massage. Stretching after runs has helped me. But it's slow going. I used to strain to stretch and that of course is not good. Now I slowly ease into it, and I do mean slowly. Take a couple days off if feeling something coming on....very hard to do. Bring out the "restore to perfection" mantra! Big grin What I don't do, but know it's a must is strength train. Did you hear what I just said, "its a must but I don't do it" What the heck is up with that....I don't know, but I'm a gonna fix it. Big grin
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              I don't stretch to warm up or cool down and I know some recommend this as a way of preventing injury. Meanwhile, I start every run VERY easy and don't push for at least a mile. After my run, I also always walk it off as a cool down period. This seems to work for me. I probably could use some strength training and more cross training. However, I do a lot of physical things just as a part of my daily routine that keeps me in the "active" status of people types. I think the single most thing I have done HAS to be the word "moderation". I don't try to run too far......too fast.....or too often. Growth is done is small segments and this has worked well for me. Of course I don't put in the volume of miles that some of the more aggressive and elite runners on our web site do. Joey
              Vista
                I am one of "those" people who is a big proponent of stretching. I even picked my PT's brain about this during my recent stint in therapy to help my knee. He is a former marathoner (before he tore up his knee in football Roll eyes ), and taught at the university level - - whatever you need to be taught to be a PT (how's that for an explanation! Big grin ) Anyway, he very much believes that the body needs to be stretched, more a proponent for after exercise than before. I don't know all the technical language, but in my simple-ease: stretching promotes a healthier recovery period. If you're more limber you're less likely to pull something if you have to move fast, i.e. get out of the way of a speeding car Wink. For me, it has helped me immensely with hamstring issues. My running partner noticed a difference when she had to include some stretching for some issue, and for once agreed that it was a big help. However, as soon as the problem went away, she quit stretching. Blush I also believe that my strength training has improved my running, especially since I do trail running. The PT exercises I was recently given for my knee have greatly improved my hill running as it has made my legs significantly stronger. So that's my 2 cents worth on this closed but open thread. Smile

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

..good ''open-closed'' thread biketm//.... things went fine from 1969- 1980 when I tore ankle ligaments. ....originally I just quit Racing after 1985......that got me to 2001.... then I switched to softer surface....that got me to 2001-2006 THEN I worked on Neutral Spine...which covers 2006-2008 CURRENTLY I'm working on Push Off with straight hip/hammy/knee...... whew, CAN't wait to see what I have to do NEXT//// is it worth it?? You Bettcha

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

The real thing that keeps me running is not lying to myself. If you think you are hurt you are probably hurt !! I used to hobble on an injury for a week or more trying to convince myself it was real. I knew it was real when it first hurt and all I did was make it worse. Now I do what I have to do as soon as it comes on. Also knowing the difference between an injury pain and just soreness is a learning curve kinda thing I believe. The longer we run the better we get at diagnostics. I find the stretching thing interesting because I used to stretch before and after a run now its only after and not a lot and not too severe of a stretch. I think I made a lot of injuries worse by trying to help them by stretching. I never stretch when I am injured, Never. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down