Masters Running

Talkin' about Tuesday, 11.5.13 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Sorry, but no summaries today (and no time to read yesterday's Daily), and probably not at least till next week sometime. I have too many projects pulling at me from different directions, and the dust won't begin to settle until at least after the weekend.

I woke at 3 this morning, didn't get back to sleep, so got up at 3:35 and was out the door at about 3:50. 6.4 racewalking miles in crisp and dry 27F temps under a clear sky. That sky was changing from jet black to grey (on it's way to blue) by the time I got back. That's as close to daylight as I'll see on my workouts till Spring. So it goes.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

coastwalker given your past list of summaries I think you are owed a week off from them!

Tramps have you thought about moving to Alaska?

stumpy77 you might want to consider Maine or perhaps Canada.

marj congratulations on your finish!  It was nice to see the race go off and finish without a hitch.

Mustang Sally you might want to look into lucky rabbit's feet or something.  Man what a string of bad luck.  I hope everybody heals up fast.

Holly S. LOL that has to be the first time I have heard  "annoyed" and "marathon" put together!  People think a lot of things towards the end of a race.  But annoyed?  Smile

Mariposai hmm speed work in the dark . . . yet another feet I am not expecting to try in the near future.

CNYrunner I hear that when you retire it is a sign of the coming apocalypse.  I am pretty sure that is one of those well known prophesies.

No running for me today.  Just time on the elliptical.  Tomorrow I have to go out pre-dawn since I want to do 17 and I have to make it back in time to get to my class.  As for the rest of today, I had planned to get some particular projects done (read programs running) but my power just went out.  I am typing this on my laptop which is tethered to my cell giving me a way to do this until the batteries in one of the two devices burn out.  Dead  The good news is I wanted to get my hair cut today and this seems like a good time to go do that!  Hopefully by the time I get back my power will be back too.  Oh yes, for the record my base in Zombies Run! is just 5 people short of being twice as populated as Mariposai's base.  Just saying you know.  Joking  Did I mention she is a marathon maniac and I am not?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Just a quick in and out, as I too am swamped with work. Jay and I must work for the same people.

This week I'm writing the screen messages that salespeople see when they pull up a customer's account record, so they will know how to treat that customer based on market segment information, past buying behavior, income, age and other demographics.  I do this well, but sometimes it's tempting to write something that would be insane just to see what the client will say.  I never actually do it however.

3.8 recovery miles, legs stiff and tired still.  Spareribs

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Ribs, I have discovered that one of my team likes to bury outrageous things in reports just to be sure I've really read them.  Or make me laugh.  I'll find something like,

IDENTIFIED RISKS

• Inadequate documentation means we are unsure plans are correct
          • Client resources unavailable to verify, making testing incomplete
          • Uncontrolled scope expansion has stretched available resources to the breaking point
          • Someone may plug in the toaster and the microwave at the same time again, causing us all to fly into the sun.

Stuff like that.

Today is a madhouse, as I have a proposal due tomorrow doing battle with a bad case of Avoidance-Triggered Writer's Block, and after lunch, I'm giving a talk at a local conference.  I'll do my best to run after work anyway.  30 minutes on the road will be a better-spent Time Not Writing than surfing Facebook, where Kathrine Switzer has never so much as glanced in my direction.

There used to be an error message in one of our compilers that said:

"More then 256 Nested IF Levels.  Are you crazy?"

Today I finally got the courage up to do some Speedwork.  The first fast(ish) running since my heart episodes.  It went well, in that I got them done.  But they were understandably challenging.  (They'll get easier - I keep telling myself that).  7 miles total with six 1/2 miles at tempo(ish) pace, with 1/2 easy recovery between each.  (Wave run).

Bill.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

I did not know about the microwave/toaster thing.  I need to be more careful.

Twocat--I like the 30s for running; Alaska would be too cold.  BTW, have you checked to make sure zombies haven't taken out your power?

Good that you're back out there, Byll.

A belated, but much-deserved congratulations to Marj for doing NYC.  That's awesome.

Just got back from voting.  The polling place was empty; never a good sign.

Another chilly 30F morning, just the way I like it.  EZ 5.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

I think our town will see a strong turn out today. There is lots of frustration with the current council and there are 5 out 7 seats up for grabs.

Yesterday...

I've only ever known one house growing up. When we moved in, the upstairs was not completed yet. Opened joist rooms and plywood floors. That was the way my room was for at least the first year. Dad worked on finishing the upstairs for a long time...drywalling, plastering, plumbing, electrical and doing the trim work. It was the only way they could afford to build the new house...to finish the upstairs and basement themselves.

After 48 years this house will have new owners on the 15th. We moved the last of Mom's belongings yesterday. I hauled away the last load...Pictured below. There is a long story behind this outhouse. It was a prop on the Schmit Family float for the 150 yr birthday celebration of my home town. After the parade it became a tool storage shed in Mom's landscaping. This out house will have a place of honor in our landscaping...Anytime I grab a shovel I will see where Dad scribbled dimensions and other construction marks. I couldn't leave it behind.

Outhouse

Dave59

Gym workout for me today.  Didn't want to go but it felt good in the end.

NYC is over and of course, someone had to make a post about the funniest signs seen at the race:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mrloganrhoades/the-35-best-signs-from-the-nyc-marathon

There is some foul language, but as Holly once said, we are adults here.  The funniest one (in my opinion) was one of a dog next to a sign that said, "Run like you're going to finally catch your tail."

mrrun

NYC is over and of course, someone had to make a post about the funniest signs seen at the race:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mrloganrhoades/the-35-best-signs-from-the-nyc-marathon

There is some foul language, but as Holly once said, we are adults here.  The funniest one (in my opinion) was one of a dog next to a sign that said, "Run like you're going to finally catch your tail."

they didn't include my favorite = "you run better than the government"

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Oh, hahahaha...

"The END is NEAR"

Tramps

Slo--nice post.  That kind of change is gonna take some getting used to.

Be safe. Be kind.

Something in my eye again after reading Slo_Hand's post----well said and milestone kind of time for you and your family for sure.

No retiring for me, Kidding I am! So put away your Apocalypse gear already! the Kathrine Switzer thing actually started via a work and client relationship. We share Syracuse in common and I was presenting at a session for the School of Arts and Sciences at SU and lo and behold, KV herself was on the board and seated right in front of me. Doing my best not to just stare at her and then bungle a curtsy, we got to talking and there you go. And MS, I bet you could send her a friend request on FB and she'd accept. A legend she is and also genuinely approachable and sincerely friendly. She's the real deal.

Okay...enough on that.....I ran to my local polling spot and voted and then ran home---for 4 miles total. the run was hardly graceful as I am still pretty stiff, but all parts seem to be in the right places and it felt good to get out there.

I am in the midst of writing a client report and now sorely tempted to just throw in a few zingers ----"No Way can you raise all this money and who chose these stupid priorities anyway?" Thanks for the inspiration MS and Ribs. ha!

As you were, back to my desk I go

lamerunner

Hello; crispy  morning here. I staggered out for about 8 miles this morning, city roads and loop of Dorrs pond. I live just beyond mile 5, just off the current Manchester Marathon course, so I run those early hills all the time, albeit usually in the reverse direction. Some days it stinks to start with an uphill... nice weather today, cool/mid-20s and sunny, not much wind.  I am still very tired.  We are compiling our observations, lessons learned etc and will probably meet later in the week to debrief.

Karin, I am glad K. Switzer liked your post! She was a fabulous VIP for us, so engaged with everyone and enthusiastic. Kind of funny too; when I came out of the Radisson Sunday after working last minute packet pickup, I ran into her in the finish area. She hugged me and asked if  her ourtift made her look like a dork... I am guessing it was colder than she expected.  Also, hope your legs are recovering and your DS is doing ok.

Mustang, I hope your offsprings' knees are ok. Trips to the ER are not fun.

Holly, you are brave. Hard to do all those obstacles without cramping up at the end. I would like to see that area and hike there however.

Congrats to Marj on NYC. I never go around to that one, and at thsi point, I probably  won't. I suspect I would get pretty clastrophobic, but I have heard it is exciting.

Nice to have more light in the morning, but darkness at 5 takes some getting adjustment...

CNY, my thoughts are with your son, his doctors, and the medical research people.  Also, good job by you and your team at Manchester.  marj, congrats on your NYC marathon.  dive, glad to hear you've had improvement in your BP and inner ear.  deez, good job by you and your team.  PBJ, great job at NYC.  Sarge, good job in your marathon in spite of tough last few miles.  ribs, nice 2nd AG in your half even though you "blew up" at 11 miles. MS, what a bummer with your daughter's knee, especially right after your son's.

Nice long runs for Twocat, and evan.  Good job on the speed work for mari and breger.

This morning, it was in the mid 40s and there was a light wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:07 pace.

I had a great day yesterday babysitting my grandson while his parents went to work.  A highlight was taking him to have his "school pictures" taken at the day care where he goes three days a week.  He's now about 2.5 months old and I occasionally got some big smiles.  That's pretty special, too.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Thanks for the laughs, Dave.  I thought all of them were funny.

Nice story SLO.

About embedding things in text.....ok, long time ago, I asked DH to do some formatting on my resume for me.  I didn't bother to proofread after that, and sent it out to a couple of companies.  I found out a few days later he had added (thinking I was still working on it and would have seen this)  "When I was employed at Place X, I owned everyone's a$$".  Major panic.

5.3 dark miles, with headlamp.  Even with headlamp, I rolled my ankle on a pine cone.  It's fine though.  Happy to have run 3 X in last 4 days.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."