Masters Running

Tuesday 1/3/17 (Read 37 times)

Rise and shine everyone! Day 3 of resolutions and back to work/school for many of you. No recaps from me - maybe Jay will post later

Welcome Meg and flats! I love that we've added to the list of masters who (hopefully) will post regularly.

Mike, I know what you mean about doing too much for our kids. My parents could never afford to do half of the things I've done and you know what? I never would have expected them to. DS#1 was always pretty independent but DS#2 is another story....

It was 35° and raining this morning. The roads looked pretty slippery at 5:00 AM. Off to the Y with all of the resolution folks and back to time limits on the treadmills  They were all full when I got there (which was 5 minutes after the place opened) so I did an hour on the elliptical and 20 minutes of weights and core.

Back to work today. I could get real used to being unemployed...

..hi jylnne//...........yep,

nice to see New Faces

and

some Old Ones (not naming any names, but his initials are ''Tramps'' )

=======

..but I digress.....

60's and rain today,

low of 18 by Thursday>>>and I still love Living in The South

Greenway and PoolRunning today

.................good running to the rest of ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Jlynne and StarrRuns I have a solution to your problems: eBay. Get a treadmill that has doubled as someone's coat rack during the past couple of years for cheap. Or buy a refurbished unit that has been cobbled together from old ones a gym has tossed out. I have the latter. Works great and you get a gym quality machine for less than a 1/3 the cost of an equivalent new one.

tomwhite amen!

deez4boyz all right then, I failed the acronym challenge. DGAFAOTH? All right, I now see what it stands for.  LOL Word is that is the first step to being ready to run a September relay! You know, in case you were wondering or something.

Dave59 cute cartoon.

rochrunner any tax work is like having teeth pulled. Nice of you to help people with their returns.

mrrun  my household tree joined them yesterday.

runr_nut that is about 5° above my TM threshold.

pfriese can you please send your weather here to CT?

enkephalin run in sunny beats run in dark and rainy any day!

Holly S. that should at least deliver you some good cat karma.

TammyinGP opposite of pfriese if you do not mind.

evanflein I really do not think "nice day" and 8° can be used in the same sentence, pretty much wherever you may be.

spacityrunner man that is nice running weather you have. I can sure relate to Mariposai's post! All but the skirt and singlet part. Pretty sure I would not run in a skirt no matter how nice the weather.

flats I have had some mornings with that mist turned to ice on the road. The stuff is really treacherous. I figure that is what a TM is for.

Mike E I imagine that once kids are far from home it helps them to gain their independence. Good luck with Ryan on that front.

CanadianMeg welcome to the daily!

stumpy77 welcome back to reality today!

SteveP somehow asking you for information seems like it is always an adventure. Any real news on the bike? I cannot imagine they have any way of finding the owner.

coastwalker my condolences on losing your friend.

I was off for a 7 mile run this morning. As I was running I kept thinking I should tell Pandora to play something by Father John Misty. This is probably his biggest hit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOspC5B69L4&list=PLcJ6bNhD7FNCKWAt8H5tTsBs-nc7zXGO6. It is called Real Love Baby. In nonrunning news I am happy to report the major Christmas undecorating is done! Tree is out of the house. Christmas village is back in its boxes and its platform is back in the garage. The workhorses it rests on are also back in the garage to keep it company until next September when Mariposai announces it it time to set up the Halloween village. That happens the day after the relay.  Hint, hint, nudge, nudge, know what I mean. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the condolences yesterday, and for TwoCat's great wrap-up this morning.

The funeral mass yesterday was crushing but also inspiring, and was SRO. One of my friend's daughters, trained in classical music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vtIBcVAQuY) did a phenomenal job with one of her dad's favorite songs, The Weight by The Band. I wish I her version on tape. Our friend was memorialized, with great humor, as a man who always lived in the moment and to the fullest - something that we all (especially me) should try to do more of.

One of our nieces who was with us (and her folks and sister) over New Year's is 18, and is in the process of trying to establish her independence from her parents. Many of you know all too well what that is about. Watching, as an interested observer, as she and her folks all try to deal with their changing roles without speaking directly about or working collaboratively through those changes, is fascinating, amusing, and heartbreaking all a the same time. DW and I are not parents, but I give a ton of credit to those of you who are, and the struggles (along with the celebrations and joy) that you have to deal with.

4.1 easy miles this morning in mild 38F temps, but also with a drizzle and screaming winds. Sitting all day yesterday in the car and at the services did not help my hamstring, and it was achy this morning, thus the easy walk. I guess I still need to baby it for a while longer.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Jay, sounds like a tough day, but good to hear there was some lightness befitting the one you lost.

No un-decorating here yet. It's not the 12th day after Christmas. That would be Friday; I'll get most of it done while the kids are at school, but I'll have to wait until my DH gets home from work to carry the tree out. (Real tree is too heavy for me. It's an 8' balsam.)

I can make all of you feel better about the weather outside your windows. The windchill here today is -42*C or -44*F if you like that scale better. What that means is exposed skin can freeze in 5-10 minutes.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

C-R

Hi Everyone,

Very thorough twocat.

Sorry about those time limits. The gym where I go has been packed too. Guess it will settle down in Feb.

Tough day Jay. Sounds like it went as well as could. And yes, being a parent has it's highs and lows. A continual roller coaster ride.

I ran for the fourth day in a row and have no pain. It took some time to figure things out and accept reality. I believe the long slow road will do me good in body and in mind.

Ok. Back to the grind.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

spacityrunner

3.3 late morning foggy miles along the spillway trail.  Still warm enough to wear a skirt...but that will abruptly change tomorrow with an overnight low in the 20's.  

Twocat in a skirt....hmmm....

Trails Rock!

Henrun

Welcome Meg and Flats. Meg, I'm a native Torontonian- it never got that cold in TO. Brrrrrr

Did my morning 1 mile walk in the rain (I'm sure 2cat would not approve). We then went to the Y and took a TaiChi class.Had never done it before and really enjoyed it-great for balance and my knee didn't complain.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Afternoon everyone.

Another 2016 team-mate of Mairposai, Meg and Flats coming over here.

Ran 6 and change on my usual lunchtime route.

An out and back, with loops round a local park to adjust distance. I pretty much run to be at the turnaround about 27/28 mins after I setoff, then a super quick shower before inhaling lunch whilst attending to E-mails or other work related reading.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Head Procrastinator

Happy New Year, RA.

Welcome newcomers! What type of team were you on?

Condolences on the loss of your friend, Jay.

Matt, I think you would look good in skirt, you have the legs for it. 

Behind as usual.

16 mile Fat Bike ride Sunday with 21 friends to Fire Island National Seashore.

Yesterday's rain ugh, so elliptical, same today.

Maybe tomorrow I will take my wussy self outside to run.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome catwhoorg (we will need an explantion of that   ).  I knew we kept Mari around for a reason.  I mean other than being incredibly nice and all that.

Well, I made it out for a 5K lake loop this morning before the first day of work after 13 days off.  The run felt good--aftereffects, not so much.  Presetnly sucking down a cup of tea, doing non-productive posting, and hoping to remain awake for the next two hours AND the ride home.  We shall see.

BTW Tramps--I've been wearing my Richmond gloves you provided for my marathon.  Perfect for the below 40s runs.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

..Welcome Aboard labrat........

=========

60's and drizzle

35-min HH on Greenway

and

40-min PoolRun with belt, cf, ris, paw

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

Twocat - we are up to about 16 inches and counting because it's coming down heavy again with another round of heavy snow this evening. i really don't mind sharing!  I wanted some snow, but this isn't what I had in mind.

played outside with the dogs this morning. the snow is up to their chests so Bailey and Bella have to hop like rabbits to get around. annie just plows through it. I've never seen this much snow here in the 16 yrs we've lived here. i bet we are close to 2 ft by the time this is all done.

not only will my car never make it down my driveway but there's no way I could get down our hill - unless I was prepared to stuff it in the trees at the bottom of the hill. We should be in the low 40's on Friday though, so we pretty much just have to wait for some of this to melt.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Meg - Brrr!

Catwhoorg and Flats - Welcome!

Our little Dexter dog is very ill and we don't know what it is.  Yesterday he was fine, frisky and chasing cats.  But when we got back from DD's basketball game last night, he was in distress, trembling and panting, and could barely walk.  No idea.  I Googlled the symptoms and it listed everything from poisoning to kidney failure to stroke.  I called the after-hour vet, and she thought it sounded like he was in pain, perhaps a slipped disc in his back.  Took him to the vet this morning and had lots of tests done, but nothing definitive came of it.  If only he could talk!  They sent us home with anti-inflammatories and pain meds, which I managed to get him to take in slices of hot dogs.  The doc said, whatever it is, he may just recover without us knowing what it actually was.  He is resting now, and we are hoping for the best.  Any stray doggie prayers would be welcome.

4.4 miles for me on the TM today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

The weather went downhill in a hurry today. 30mph winds with mid 20 temps. Track/interval workout cancelled this evening not do to weather but due to school holiday & no key to the facility. I really didn't feel like getting out in that wind anyways, so I just did my intervals on the treadmill inside. Total run mileage 9 miles.

Paul