Masters Running

Thursdaily, 4.4.19 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday's work:

RunnerKSA - 3.5 morning TM miles at picked-up pace + 2.1 outside evening miles in 71° temps.

Tramps - 4 chilly, below-freezing morning miles.

anneb - 3.7 not dark, neighborhood miles in 39° temps after a bit of a sleep-in.

Marj - 3 morning power-walking miles + 2 later on the way to a lecture.

Jlynne - 45 morning minutes on the elliptical + 4.5 trail miles with the Y girls in 34° temps with a gorgeous sunrise.

HopesMom - Yoga + biking + quartet rehearsal.

dnaff - day after 4 night-time time trial in same time as last time.

Joe - Wednesday rest day.

Anzlo - 3 mile walk + light strength training.

Tomwhite - 1 hr of yard work + 40 min. cycling.

SteveP - 4.25 before work street miles under clear skies + 2.5 trail miles with Adventure Doggie.

Tet - Dandelion pull + household cross-training.

Mike - 11 miles, including 8 at tempo, pushing too hard.

Twocat - Early evening sunny run - happy with pace.

Surly Bill - URD (unplanned rest day) due to mysterious illness.

Tammy - Planned for 5-6, ran 10 post-work miles.

Mariposai - A gift of 5 post-work miles on good knees.

Evanflein - 5.5 TM miles with chicken in the oven.

Good luck with today's X-ray, Spacityrunner.

Interesting discussions and perspectives on retirement. It's clear that each of us has to figure out what our needs are (financial, social, and otherwise), and determine how to meet those needs when the office no longer calls. Quite a few people here seem to have done that successfully.

I debated going out this morning, but did for 6.5 very EZ RW miles in about 38°, windy weather under clear skies. My stoopid ankle is acting up again, so I'm fully-braced for the day today, and hope it'll calm down by tomorrow.

Have a greta Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and those yet to post.  Thanks for starting us off, and sorry to hear that ankle is giving you fits again. Take it easy the rest of the day.

Good luck today Spacity!

Yes, retirement means different things to different people. When my DH retired (at age 62) we were at each other's throats the first few months. He decided he was going to start doing laundry, help me "reorganize" my kitchen and lots of other household chores to help balance the work load. The first load of laundry involved one of my sweaters that he thought could go in the dryer. It wouldn't fit a toddler after that! When he started on my pantry, I almost shot him

I did the route that ends up being 6.99 miles this morning. I walked up and down the driveway until I hit 7, just to prove I can be as OCD as the rest of you!  Then, 20 minutes of core and stretching.

Have a great day folks.

Joe618

Jay, and all to come, good morning!   Dang, that ankle gives you grief, sorry it flared.    And jlynne gets extra distance in her driveway!

Great conversations yesterday, I appreciate the thoughtfulness of this group.   It's a rare find on line.   Thank you for having me be part of it.

I chuckled at KSA and Mariposi comparing their introverted DH's, retirement and social needs.   I suspect my DW would enjoy the two of you quite a bit and the three of you could swap many similar stories about dealing with quiet, reflective husbands who once in a while actually speak.    I don't want to become jlynne's hubby who suddenly won't leave the house and creates real problems!!! 

Got in my final SOS run of this training cycle this morning, running 8.3 miles total with 7 at just under MP.   One of those runs you didn't think would happen...woke up tired, legs were flat, not sure I really wanted to do this.   Felt like an old jalopy which takes a while to get up to speed but did get it done.   11 days now to Boston and only shorter, easy runs till Patriot's Day.

Rock your Thursday, folks!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Thanks, Jay. Sorry about the ankle.  Ugh.

Joe- wrap yourself in bubble wrap now until Boston!     If I retired I could learn how to work the house, maybe.  Ken has it set up with so many automatic features and things you talk to to get lights on and off.....Not to mention the security cameras which I think are obnoxious and invasive!

3.2 treadmill miles this morning.  Soon I will be outside- but not yet.  Got it done.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

anneb

Good morning Jay - sorry about that ankle being stupid again.

Joe - nice workout! And yes bubble wrap yourself now.

Jlynne running up and down in the driveway - bravo! 7.00 miles

So between the husband and I, I am the introvert. The nature of my job (accounting/finance) is good for that, and I work at a firm of 17 people. I do go through times where I'm just sick of the daily grind of getting up early/ always having to get my workout in before or after work, etc. But I am young (43) and I do overall like my job, I'm paid very well and I also have incentive in the form of profits interest in our funds (I work for a private equity firm). BUT we don't have kids and I see myself doing this maybe 10 more years before we just want to get out of Chicago and do something else. Jason, on the other hand, is home-office, sales for a tech company, he is the extrovert and sometimes he really gets isolated working from home (travel varies, but is less right now). Although, for us, it's always worked because he literally manages everything with the house (food shopping/cooking/pets/cleaning/projects/cars/anything). We sometimes clash because, if I've had a busy/stressful day, I just want to come home and not talk to anyone, much less do anything social! We both acknowledge (me especially!) that our home life would not be the same if both of us were out of the house all day from 7:30-6. So we're kind of similar to Karen/Ken except opposite personalities

40's and rainy for me meant the treadmill - it looks like we're getting some nice running weather this weekend and there is no reason to be cold and wet when you have a treadmill in the basement! 5.6 easy miles.

Anne

TammyinGP

good morning all! I will likely take a rest day today. supposed to rain all day, but if it's not I may run a couple miles when I get home just to make sure my legs don't get too sore from yesterday's 10 miler.  

I love my job and am not even entertaining the thought of retirement. I'm only 52, so certainly have lots of time left, but I really can't imagine not going into work. nor can I imagine spending the entire day with my husband who is retired!  lol.  I definitely need my space and social outlet that I get from my job, friends and my running. He's much more of an introvert in some ways. He's extremely talkative but he just generally has so little tolerance for most people in the world today so doesn't enjoy being around them much. lol.

Tammy

Tramps

Erika--Yup. That all sounds familiar. One of the reasons I went back for a couple years a few years ago was that they offered a much higher salary which would count as my "peak earning" years for my pension.  Stuff like that is hard to turn down.

With Anne as the exception, did I pick up on an introverted male / extroverted female trend yesterday? (Asking for a friend.)

A little warmer today for 22 miles on the bike.

Since it's sunny and warm and grass hasn't fully grown in yet, I'm going to make this my pick-up-the-garbage along our road afternoon. It's amazing what hunters and others toss.

Be safe. Be kind.

Singer who runs a smidge

Day 4 of banging my head against the same damn wall at work. 

I would retire in a New York minute, except that I'm the sole breadwinner between me and DH, and the house isn't paid off yet.  Hence the insanity.

Yoga done, no biking due to scheduling tonight.  Chorus rehearsal, though.  And if I could fly to Europe and strangle someone, I wouldn't have to worry about retirement because I'd be in jail.  But I'm too cheap to buy the plane ticket and not quite sure where I'd need to go.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Mike E

MM #5615

I did the route that ends up being 6.99 miles this morning. I walked up and down the driveway until I hit 7, just to prove I can be as OCD as the rest of you! 

Thank you!  I feel much better.

Anzlo

Jay - Thanks for the summary and start today. Hope you ankle feels better quickly.

Bill - Wishing you a quick recovery from your mysterious illness.

Run/walk for 6 miles this morning in a light Oregon sunshine. The weatherman says there's going to be a lot of Oregon sunshine the next 7 days and not all of it light. It could be worse, like around freezing with moisture and slick spots everywhere.

Retirement discussions interesting for sure, been that way for over a year now, but to be honest it hasn't felt like it until recently.  There was such a backlog on the todo list; only recently getting cleared to somewhat of a regular routine now.

Wishing you all a good day runfolk !

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

I love my job and am not even entertaining the thought of retirement. I'm only 52, so certainly have lots of time left, but I really can't imagine not going into work. nor can I imagine spending the entire day with my husband who is retired!  lol.  I definitely need my space and social outlet that I get from my job, friends and my running. He's much more of an introvert in some ways. He's extremely talkative but he just generally has so little tolerance for most people in the world today so doesn't enjoy being around them much. lol.

Well, Tammy, and I and our hubs are basically identical re the above.  The Hub can be social when needed, but otherwise he'd rather be left alone.  His one social outlet that he leaned heavily on (The Club) closed because they lost the area they were renting and haven't been able to find another affordable location.  It makes me sad for him.

On the retirement front, I don't see that happening completely for financial reasons.  But I enjoy my work and the social outlet it gives me.  I would, however, like to eventually (maybe in another 10 years or so) find a situation where I work 3 days a week and have limited responsibility, but still am challenging my brain and bringing in income.

I went on a total and complete pity party with myself yesterday that ended in a meltdown in the shower last night.  Then I read an article in my trail running magazine last night that kind of gave me an "ah ha" moment and I think - I think - I'm pulling out of it.  I'm just so tired of dealing with this injury, I'm tired of talking about this injury (so I need to stop), I'm sure people are tired of listening to me . . . blah, blah, blah.  But I think I've settled on the single leg bridge work being the culprit in this incredible flareup I'm dealing with.  And with that, I will have to tell my PT at my next appt that bridge work just isn't in the cards and we have to think of something else.  It's the only thing I can put my finger on that's new and was definitely the cause of flareups before the surgery.

OK - No more pity party . . . hopefully . . . 

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

In my house I am the extrovert. Getting my DW to meet and socialize with new people is like pulling teeth. Lots and lots of teeth! Even holding an event at our house with friends was tough to get her to do. It got to the point where we had to negotiate a policy whereby I could set up social events without having to clear them (since she would always say no). Our solution is a shared calendar. If a date is not blocked off I can set something up. Same for her, but she does not do so very often.

Regarding retiring, unlike public universities I do not have a pension as such. Instead I have a 403(b) (like a 401(k) but for nonprofits). From my perspective that is a good trade. I would much rather manage my own retirement account than let somebody else do it. Also, I have been thinking about retiring, at least from the teaching part. I like doing research. I have had a number of friends and colleagues pass away recently. It got me thinking that if I have 10 years left how much of it do I want to spend doing what I do now.

This morning I spent an hour on the elliptical. Now I have to put on a monkey suit. Then off to NYC to deliver a "keynote" address. Really just a 20 minute talk, but not as part of a panel. Afterwards, DW and I have dinner at a restaurant we have never been to. Figured it would be nice to try somewhere new.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

an amazing likeness

I retired on March 31st. However my wife fell on some ice and broke her leg early in the month, then elderly mother was hospitalized, creating care problems for elderly dementia-addled father...and in the chaos I forgot about the date and just kept coming to work...so now aiming for April 30.

I don't have hobbies, kids or travel plans...so not sure what to do next. Probably should go find a job to have something to do other than drink beer and watch TV.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

spacityrunner

4 more weeks in a sling. Then we shall begin PT. No surgery indicated at this time.

Trails Rock!

Mike E

MM #5615

Probably should go find a job to have something to do other than drink beer and watch TV.

Why?