Masters Running

Tues Feb 5 M/B runs (Read 666 times)

GreenMan

Hey all, Holly, your core strenght serves you well. Having had practically none when I started running and then working on it some for the last month or so, I'd say more core strength would improve my running more than anything right now. I can see a difference in form and hence, endurance. Restday yesterday, maybe today to if me left adductor isn't behavin'. But my Utilikilt has just arrived, Big grin jjj
    Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Another thing to consider with the 405 is that it is for running ONLY. The feature to switch over to biking or other activites is not a part of this unit. Roch - I have not commited to ANYTHING! Tongue

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I don't know why, but the raccoon is making me really sad. Cry I don't like TUesdays much (least favorite day of the week), even Fat Tuesday, and it's certainly still winter here; shorts and t shirt will be layer 1 for my run later today. We'll see at noon what the temp is and how many layers I'll need. It's great to read about everyone's accomplishments and I enjoyed the smell of spring vicariously! A. ps: I was on a panel of 3 last night at our local Y, talking with new half and full marathoners--they're training for June races. It was a lot of fun. The Y does a nice job--last night was the last meeting of the group. They now start following running schedules--wonderful way for newbies to learn about distance running, and to find companion runners.
        Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #3309

I don't know why, but the raccoon is making me really sad. Cry I don't like TUesdays much (least favorite day of the week), even Fat Tuesday, and it's certainly still winter here; shorts and t shirt will be layer 1 for my run later today. We'll see at noon what the temp is and how many layers I'll need. It's great to read about everyone's accomplishments and I enjoyed the smell of spring vicariously! A. ps: I was on a panel of 3 last night at our local Y, talking with new half and full marathoners--they're training for June races. It was a lot of fun. The Y does a nice job--last night was the last meeting of the group. They now start following running schedules--wonderful way for newbies to learn about distance running, and to find companion runners.
          Dang Amy.....you run a heck of a lot of Marathons...I'm in awe after reading you log!!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all. A lovely day in Boston today. 37ºF with a pleasant combination of rain, sleet, and just a touch of snow at 6am. It hadn’t started when I got dressed, but was coming down nicely when I got downstairs. Didn’t want to change anything or else I knew I wouldn’t make it outside, so just threw windshirt over to slow the passage of the rain to the skin. Big grin didn’t get quite as hot as I thought I might. Took the advice from Sunday (Thank you all, BTW) and did extra stretching of calf and dorsiflexor (?) (Front of shins) before and during run. Still hurt somewhat, but maybe not quite as bad. Could shoes have gone bad this quickly to cause this? Log shows only about 215 miles, which I believe is accurate. I also took what Holly said about walking and realized that I was pounding the heels quite a bit during my walks. Tried to work towards the same foot strike as when running and found very little tightness during last night’s walk. Oh yeah—the run. 3.2 miles in just under 30 soaked minutes. 2 or 3 stops for stretching extended it a bit.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Amy - in case you didn't go back, I responded to you in yesterday's daily. Wink I'm writing an interesting motion this a.m. and then reporting for GJ this afternoon. I'm writing a motion to dismiss - double jeopardy issue. DUII trial began, only pled as alcohol, DA at end of voir dire mentions controlled substances. we move for mistrial, granted, DA amended charging instrument to plead DUII Alcohol AND CS. Moving to dismiss the amended instrument so they can't charge CS - only alcohol. The caselaw, at least in Oregon, seems pretty clear on its face, but DA being stubborn (what else is new Roll eyes ) and we are having to go through the motion of a formal pleading for the court rather than DA just conceding. Nothing like getting me all fired up before having to go sit in on GJ proceedings! LOL Evil grin oh yeah . . . I'll run during my lunch hr . . . 4 miles. Big grin

Tammy

SteveP

It's always good to read a post from you Roy. Any runs with Mrs. Roy or Woody????
                We're starting one-hour conference calls at 8pm every night to take gather feedback from alpha users on our new system. This is gonna kill me. I just want to cut in and say "excuse me, but I've really got to do the dinner dishes and go to bed - could you all just stop whining please?"
                Can you remind people to stay on topic???? ((((Poor Raccoon)))) From seeing your avatar Tramps, it looks like you're feeling the same. Sorry Dude. JJJ....Runners can wear tights and kilts???? Sweet. The Y where Aamos lives has an outstanding mentor. Double sweet....Sweet Sweet. To celebrate Fat Tuesday, I was going to sit on my Fat @$$ and look for interesting things in my belly button. DW started making lists with lots of ideas for me on them. That made me affraid. I grabbed the dog and we put in. 4.1 miles. This is a PR for the White Thing. The last 1/2 she lagged behind a bit.

SteveP

evanflein

I'm jealous of the warm temps elsewhere this morning.
                  Oh man, you and me both!! -44 this morning when we got up (that was the temp downtown), -25 at home. DS1 got a ride to the bus again and I'm glad I did that... stoopid bus was 15 minutes late! These kids just do NOT dress for the temps at all. DS1 has nice boots and stuff, but he wears his tennies and a t-shirt under his jacket. Amazing. Although... I have to say I remember my dad saying the same thing about me. I refused to wear a hat cuz of what it would do to my hair... Roll eyes I totally blew off my workout last night. I had grand plans of 45 -50 minutes on the stationary bike, but when I got home life took over and I ended up cleaning up stuff, going through the mail and starting on dinner. One thing led to another, and it was 8 pm and I was beat. That so rarely happens to me... So I gave myself permission for an unscheduled rest day and went to bed around 10. Ahhhh, feel greta today! Also, I think that long downhill run in the "breakthrough" snow on Sunday wore me out a bit more than I realized. As for core strength, I've very glad I have a good strong core and abs cuz that hilly snow running would be so much harder without it. I credit regular ab workouts, but also 20+ years of training and riding horses for a lot of it. So much of riding is balance and core strength, that's a large reason for the whole-body soreness new riders feel after a long ride! Holly, hope that racoon is at peace now. That's so very sad. Poor critters. ETA, Steve, you probably already found all the interesting stuff in there anyway...
                    Holly and the raccoon. Sad Aamos, that story makes me sad, too. Keep picturing it looking at Holly. Jesse - those Utilikilts ain't cheap, either. We need photo verification when it arrives. JLynne - whereabouts in WI? I grew up north central; have family in south central. Mom lives way norht and told me the mornng of the Packer-Seahawks game, it was -22 where she was. I don't miss those days. You've had a tough winter. Track workout tonight. I think it's a 2-mile time trial. Just hope the dirt track is in decent shape. It's been bad and lots of rain today.
                      Tammy--thanks for the tip--I want in on that CLE! Might I ask a procedural question--when you get the nod for GJ, is it just whoever is notified gets on the GJ? There's no voir dire, right? [Thinking....how come none of us has ever been picked for the GJ here???? We're all registered voters and have driver licenses.] Please share whatever you feel you can! On your issue--here, the state can amend an information any time before they rest in order to have it conform to the evidence. On an indictment, they have to convene a new GJ to change it--you'd think they'd do more prelims and fewer GJs, but not so. Let me know on that , too, what happpens. Tim--it keeps me out of trouble, otherwise, I'd be on the other side of my desk, I'm sure. Blush
                      Masters 2000 miles
                        Aamos and Tammy, Some years ago a coworker friend of mine was called for Federal GJ duty. They met every week, once a week and she was on it for a year. Shocked She had some great stories once she was released from duty, I can tell you that! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

TammyinGP

Tammy--thanks for the tip--I want in on that CLE! Might I ask a procedural question--when you get the nod for GJ, is it just whoever is notified gets on the GJ? There's no voir dire, right? [Thinking....how come none of us has ever been picked for the GJ here???? We're all registered voters and have driver licenses.] Please share whatever you feel you can!
                          Names are just randomly drawn for Grand Jury Duty - just like for regular jurors. I guess I just got lucky! Blush We serve for an entire month. There were approx 30 names drawn for Feb duty and we all showed up at orientation yesterday. The GJ meets on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays only, so names were randomly drawn for panels of 7 for each of those days. Again - it was only per chance that my name was drawn to actually serve on a panel, versus the folks who weren't drawn and just serve as alternates in case a grand juror has to opt out for some reason. The Tuesday panel is the only panel that also hears crimes/sex crimes against children IF there are any scheduled.I'm on the Tuesday panel but none are scheduled today, so I'm only hearing felonies this afternoon. so, to answer your question . . . there is no voir dire for grand jurors. I can't remember if I shared this in either of my posts the last few days or not, but our office went to great lengths to make sure it was okay that I serve. We spoke with the Bar, the ethics committee at the public defense commission and we spoke with the DA to make sure there were no issues, conflicts, ethical concerns etc. with me serving. The DA said if I didn't want to do this, he would excuse me, but if I wanted to do it, he had no problem with it. This is the first time someone from the PD's office has served as a grand juror, although a few others have been jurors before. And now I'll be on a CLE video too . . . {gulp} . If it's interesting, i can probably make a copy of the tape to send you.

Tammy

I would LOVE to get picked for jury duty. It would be fun to be on the other side of the proceedings for a change. (Joking). My court experience has been limited so far in life to small claims court once, to traffic court once, and as a witness once. I also have gone in to watch my daughter handle a few cases (she is a lawyer). The weather here today is absolutely incredible. I used it for a nice 4 mile noon time run. Thanks to those who have been reading my blog. The readership has gone up significantly. I am really enjoying the experience. I am off on a basketball trip tomorrow that will challenge my ability to get much running in. Thankfully I have anticipated this a bit. Have a great afternoon and evening folks.
                            Vista
                            BTY

Hey, Vista, the only thing challenging my running right now is ME. Yesterday I left my running stuff at home and so I ran at 8:30 PM in the freezing rain around my neighborhood. Today I left my running shoes at home so I'll have to find time after my Elders' and Pastors' meeting for a 5-miler with Fartleks - we usually break up around 9:00 PM, and there's a HS track on the other side of our parking lot; it's either that or go on a bender. Dead It's been one year now, and I'm not sure I was made for this "Elder stuff" (not to mention it makes me sound like I'm a tribal leader, not a Lutheran). Brian
                                Happy happy joy joy. Big grin I got in 4 miles on the dreammill. Mile 3 I had a brief out of body experience, like I was flying or floating above the machine, couldn't feel my body, everything groovy. I love it when that happens. First two miles slow, and last two @ 8:34 just to blow out the cobwebs as you all say. Followed up with 30 min on the bike and 30 min on the elliptical. Calf just a bit tight, but I don't think I ruined my chance to run again tomorrow. It was nice reading about those t-shirt and shorts runs..... Stumpy - after racking my brains for reasons why my anterior tibialis? shin muscle pulled on me, I think it was a hard downhilll section I ran the day before. Normally I walk this very steep part of the route, but the sidewalk was dry and I ran down it, with the necessary breaking motion that probably stesses out the shins. Old shoes too. Holly, I had a similar raccoon event once. Driving late at night, from far away I can see those reflective animal eyes in the middle of the road, and they aren't moving. It's face was facing me and I had to drive straight over him down the middle so as to not squash him any further. But it looked like he was awake and staring at me, (I hope he wasn't), stuck in his paralyzed and anguished body.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."