Masters Running

Tuesday Dec. 30 Runs and whatever ... (Read 489 times)

Okay, I'll start. Where is everyone this fine morning? Today was interval day, but whomever wrote this plan must be smoking dope. They expected me to run 2000 meter repeats in 8:45 (7:00 min/mile pace). Yeah. Right. At any rate, I ran 3 x 1.25 mile repeats (a little more than 2000m) with 90 second RI. I ran them at 7:48, 7:34, and 7:25 min/mile pace. I'm more than happy with that. The weather was a spectacular 44% humidity. Almost unheard of low for us. So it made the run manageable. I could have done another one, though it would have been a challenge. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow - great job on those intervals Bill! 1400.2!!! Out for my final run of 2008 this morning. Last year I barely made it to 1,000 miles and my true goal for this year was to make it to 1,250 miles .... that is until Hallar talked me into joining the 1,500 group. I always did give into peer pressure. Wink Anyway, I didn't make that 1,500 but I am totally okay with that. Tomorrow is a rest day as I stoooopidly signed up for a 10K New Year's Day. Oye - what was I thinking?? At least the weather is looking better than last year's race but it will still be quite bitter along the Lake Michigan Shoreline I'm sure. Thanks for everyone's kind words and congratulations the other day. Since I am at home this week I'm stuck with dial-up service so I'm not on the forum much. I hope everyone is doing greta!! Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wow, it is slow this morning. Couldn't be that everyone is on vacation this week? Confused out for what I had hoped to be 5 miles, but the extra 30 minutes it took me to become conscious enough to get out of bed took care of that. and I still ended up 15 minutes late to work with the 3.2 that I did do. Nice dusting of snow and 34 degrees. I added a light windshirt over my normal outfit, because it was blowing pretty hard. It felt good for the first 1/2 mile, got hot for the 2nd half, and I had it off by the 3rd half. Also ran with my first pair of UA tights, which DD gave me for Christmas. I would never buy them for myself, but they sure are nice. Maybe not double the price nice, like my UA-like stuff that I do get, but you certainly can tell the difference. Happy runs to everyone else. Kevin ETA a couple of things. 1st: WTG on the 1400.2 miles. that's a greta year for you. 2nd: Leslie--you mentioned the wall hamstring stretches. do you do them every day? before or after running? I remembered the technique from when you mentioned them before, but not the frequency. Thanks.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Nice intervals, Bill. Great year, Mary. 40F and IRC today. I started slow but soon felt “in the zone” for today’s tempo run. 3.2 miles @ 8:32 wrapped around 5 tempo miles @ 7:13, 7:18, 7:19, 7:02, 7:16 (can you guess which mile has a little downhill in it?). AHR for tempo miles was just 147/ 76% HRR and I felt strong throughout. I even toyed with adding another tempo mile but decided to stick with the plan.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Very well done Bill and Tramps. Now tomorrow I am sure you will do a good recovery run right? http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=15247 Those wall stretches for hamstrings were introduced here by Perch if I am not mistaken, and I find them to be an outstanding stretch. Spareribs
            Slo

Good Morning It's been awhile since I have done any early am runs. I enjoy those runs the most. Next week I should be able to start logging some Pre-Dawn runs again! Last night my plan called for an easy 5 miler with some 8 x 8 sec hill "burst" at the end. My hill is snow and ice packed so I've been doing these on a treadmill at the Y. But the weather yesterday was 32 and sunny. There was no way I could spend my run inside on a treadmill. After my 1st mile I was feeling pretty strong so I settled into a fast pace and made it a tempo run. This after yesterdays Long run which was done at a pace faster than I should have. Tonight I'm looking forward to a nice easy 6 - 7 miler. Just take it easy and check out some Christmas decorations before they start coming down.
                breger1 nice set of intervals! hopeful4ever hey 1400 miles is nothing to sneeze at! stumpy77 well if you use it a lot and like it maybe it is double the price nice! Wink Tramps very nice run with the tempo work too! SLO_HAND it really is nice when everything comes together and a "regular" run turns into a tempo run just because it can! fatozzig my understanding is that if you have injured hamstrings you should not stretch them. But if they are just tight I guess you can. What was the wall stretch you did? Who knows maybe my hamstrings are just tight but otherwise fine now. Confused evanflein TM? I thought neither snow, nor sub-zero weather nor dark of night would keep you from an outdoor run. My faith in human perseverance has been crushed! Big grin I have to say though 5 TM miles sure feels way longer than that! Twocat I went 6 miles with my TP. She is starting to calm down from her earlier diagnosis of non-Hodgkin's leukemia. The latest test says she is basically cured. Which is pretty typical for this type of cancer after minimal treatment. Anyway, I am really glad I went with her. My legs are still stiff so the run was tough. But as we were talking I had an epiphany! Maybe I have Lyme disease. One of its symptoms is stiffness in the large joints like your legs. That would also explain why my symptoms got worse during my three week break from running. Why running does not appear to make things worse. Why resting does not make them better. Why neither ice nor heat seem to do much. Why the only thing that really helps is ibuprofen. Anyway, I called my doctor's office and now have an appointment for 1:15 today and I will see what he thinks. All I can say is I sure hope it is Lyme disease since it is easy to treat and that would knock out the stiffness right away. Never thought I would be rooting to have a disease but there you go!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Breger and Tramps – speedy runs! Mary – congratulations! Stumpy – is your heart problem something to be concerned about? Slo_Hand – I live on a hill and was just forming a plan this morning for some hill workouts this winter, but you’re right, the road has to be dry for that. Twocat – please keep us posted on what the doc says. DD has had a persistent fever since yesterday afternoon, so I am staying home with her today. My boss’s response when I called her was, “What about the work we have to do today? Don’t you have anyone who can watch her?” Well, er, no…childcare providers don't generally welcome a child with a fever. Roll eyes Let me just say that in the seven years I have worked for her, I have stayed home sick ONCE for myself (not counting giving birth and a minor surgery), and the last time I stayed home for a sick child was last winter. And there is NOTHING very important going on in the office this week. I told her that, if need be, I could bring DD into work with some toys and do anything that was vitally important. However, (knowing that my boss is on arthritis medicine that suppresses her immune system), I explained that I really didn’t want to expose her to whatever DD had. (sigh) She’s going to call me at 11am to let me know if DD and I need to come in. So, given that I had some extra time this morning, here’s my workout: 3.15 miles outside, followed by this on the TM: 5 minute slow-to-fast segments (6.0, 6.3, 6.6, 6.9, 8.0 mph) x 4 1 minute walk (1 min 6.0/1 min 8.0 mph) x 5 1 minute walk (1 min 6.0/1 min 8.0 mph) x 5 plus 4.37 mile CD Total distance: 12 miles I hope I don't need to go in to work, because I think I may need a nap later....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Very well done Bill and Tramps. Now tomorrow I am sure you will do a good recovery run right?
                    Actually, I've got speedwork scheduled for tomorrow. Fortunately, it's my DW's, not mine! Wink She's asked me to pace her. So far she's worked on building endurance (and has now finished two 1/2 marathons). Now she'd like to work on picking up her pace. She typically runs in the 12-minute per mile range and I thought we'd start by aiming for a couple of miles @ 11 minutes and see how that goes. (That'll be a nice easy recovery run for me.) Any advice from folks in this pace range about how you worked on picking up some speed?

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

good morning, very nice runs! Twocat... good luck! Tramps... I think doing strides helped me. besides, they are just so much fun. I've done a variation on that wall hamstring stretch... during my long hammie battle (sorry SR Wink ) I didn't always want to be on the floor. Occasional pet hair. I just stood with one leg propped on my bed. The position seemed about the same. I guess another surface would work, depending on the height. Didn't lean forward or anything, just stood & relaxed for a while. Watched the weather channel. I probably didn't hold it quite as long, but could do it more often. This seemed to work pretty welll, but as I am no expert I'd love to hear what anyone else thinks. Mary, congrats! no run today, 30 min. of Verstegen's prehab so far.
                      Mariposai

Holly, does your boss knows about FMLA? twocats...hummmmm...not too sure what to comment here...please keep us posted Mary, you may not have made it to 1500...but...YOU are a MARATHONER sistahh, which you were not last year, right? tough intervals there Breger...I hope I have your sproink this afternoon when I do mine. stumpy, wall hamstring stretches are my daily bread...hate to admit it, but I normally do them as I am reading my morning devotional Wink...perfect position for peace in the mind and heart. Gordon how is life treating you up North? wildchild...how much skiing have you done? around here we have snow...but not enough to open our ski hill Cry...my feet is itching to go downhill skiing. Up at 5 to cook some East Indian food for our department's end of the year luncheon. Chicken Tikki masala, bulgur pulao, marasan beef, mixed vegetable bhajee and homemade nann bread should be enough to feed the hungry medical interpreters and translators. I hope they enjoy their meal and decide to put up with me as their manager for one more year.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Renee the dog

Made it 2.5 mi today with the sketchy back. Ran with my buddy who's here and she is worried I have a herniated disk. I told her I'd let tomorrow's 10 miler help me decide. Big grin I really think it is just back muscle issues from 5 of us sleeping in the "big" bed and me being on the side that 3 of the 4 others want to be. Black eye Hopeful, nice finish for the year. [crowd goes wild] Mariposai, I'm sooooo hungry now. Smile Twocat, I hope it is a mild lyme disease if you do indeed have it. Good luck!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Good morning, everyone. I am not sure if I'll get a run in today or not. I had that procedure this morning that all of us at, shall we say, a certain age, are supposed to get, and afterwards the nurse suggested I not run. But she said something about the anesthesia giving me amnesia or something, like I'd get lost. I don't know how I'd get lost in my neighborhood. But maybe I shouldn't do that tempo run on the schedule. All is fine, by the way. Nice intervals, Bill. Tramps -- that will be good to get Mrs. T out of the comfort zone a bit (tell her I said, "hi"). Woohoo, Mary! SH - predawn runs are the best! stumpy - you had more halves than most do during your run -- way to go! TC - I hope you're right about finding the treatment for your soreness. Holly - that boss of yours needs a talking go. Butterfly - mmm, chicken tikki masala

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Walt, those were two nice 5Ks you had and congrats for going over 1600 miles for the year. Holly, I hope the sickness that has hit your family ends soon and continues to miss you. srlopez, I hope your dog is doing better. nono, sorry to hear about the back spasms. My wife gets those from time to time and they appear to be real unpleasant. hopeful, congrats on passing 1400 miles for the year. You've sure had a good year with a big increase in mileage and your first marathon. Nice long runs for WRFB, PDR, perch (and 2600 for the year), jdmom, DanL2 (first in a long time), dg (you seem to be recovering well), henrun, marj, wildchild (and 1400 for the year), evan, peter, dive, and holly (including speedwork). Good job on the speedwork for breger. This morning, it was in the mid to high 20s with some wind but clear roads. I did 8 miles in a little under 1:19 for a 9:51 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

Marathon Maniac #3309

Really not in the mood reading about people's runs right now (sorry). but wanted to tell Mary....Greta job. Guess my foot doctor was right about me not running for 4 to 6 more weeks, my AT is quite sore again, and I didn't do anything to aggravate it at all....oh well Hope everyone is ok. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!