Masters Running

40s+ on the Run - week of 11/16/08 (Read 522 times)

flatland mountaineer

"My doctor told me to quit working out until I was in better shape. I told the doctor not to send me a bill until I paid him." Steven Wright Short 7 as planned, hope I have enough leg left to climb bins to check corn moisture this afternoon.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Way to go on the 7 milerJim. Love the opening quote and the video! Much better run today then yesterdays. Cold front came through last night so my run was in 53*/54%. Now THATS what I'm talking about. The entire week looks great. Highs only in the 60's. Have a super Sunday everyone... Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Ultrachick

Yeah, nice quote but what video? Did I miss something yesterday? I got 6 in this morning before the temps drop and snow showers blow in. Have a great day everyone! Kelly
        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
          Thanks for starting us off right, Jim! Great quote Smile Good job on the 7 and hope your legs continue to hold up this afternoon. Jewels, isn't that cool air wonderful?! Makes all the difference in our levels of "friskiness". Glad you had a good run. Kelly, your web site is looking great! Definitely love the purple theme, and like the pic of you running through the desert as well. Evryday is right, you will likely be surprised at the traffic you get on it. After you get going with it, you may want to investigate how to make it turn up higher on google searches and such. Something about keywords. My site started popping up higher after we made a few tweaks to it at the urging of a more web savy friend, and is where a large part of my pet sitting clients came from. Leslie, did you make it? Run here or run there? After not having run since Tuesday evening, I got out for 7 miles yesterday (after 2 miles of dog walking/jogging). Lungs were ready for more, but might have been a little much for the legs. In the last mile, what I think is my IT band began really talking to me. Rest day today, which included a leisurely Katy walk to the park. We'll see how it goes on a shorter run in the morning. Considering a Turkey Trot with mom on T-Giving morning. There is a 5K and a 10K, so we'll see. Have a great week!
          Progress Trumps Pefection
            Hello 40s! A beautiful day here in OK. I think it was about 67F during my midday 9 miler. It felt hot...especially compared to yesterday when it was 40 something and very windy. Cleaned the leaves and pine needles out of the rain gutters on the house. So I got that going for me....which is nice. Anyway, some nice runs this weekend for r2farm, jewels, ultra, and carol. Ok,,,,Romo is back.....will the rest of the team show up? Signing off to go watch the game. (nj joe, your Giants are on fire)
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Hi All, Thanks Jim and good to see you around again. You missed a lengthly discussion on women's shoes. Be sure to go back and catch up on that!Good luck with your corn! With all the fires going on, maybe it's better that Leslie didn't go to Riverside...... Nice run Jewels! Glad it's cooled off for ya! Kelly- WTG on the website! It looks very good,very professional. (I think the video they're talking about is in last week's thread of Jim's Dad doing donuts in his yard) Good 7 miler Carol! Turkey trot sounds nice.There's a local 5 miler here next Saturday,but that will be the day before my race so I'll have to skip it.Good advice on the search engine stuff! Evryday- I'm still on cloud nine with these Giants ,going back about one year now! It's been some ride. Hoping for a good game tonight though I can't root for either team! Only 25m on tap for my last week before Sun's marython.A dogged 8 miler on a crisp and windy morning got it started for Buddy and I. Last full week before Turkey Day!

Hello, Boys and Girls! I'm back. It looked like all of So Cal is on fire. The Santa Ana winds aren't helping. We had to take a different route from Riverside back to LAX due to freeway closers. It's not good down there. Hot, dry, windy. Undecided Sounds like everyone's been doing well. Love Kelly's web site, and agree that you need to do whatever needs to be done to make it come up higher on Google's search engine, and maybe add some quotes of satisfied clients. It looks great, though. Very professional. We finally got into Riverside around 11:00 p.m. Friday, to bed at 1:00, up by 7:00, and started a full day by 8:00. Banquet at 7:30, get together in the President's room after, finally to bed by 11:30. Only to be up by 6:30 to get dressed, eat, and out of there to head to the airport. We wanted to leave in plenty of time in case of more freeway closures/detours. No running down here. No time! I could not have gotten up at 5:00 - or even 6:00 - Saturday a.m. after going to be at 1:00 a.m. Now I'm feeling fat and out of shape. I know it doesn't happen that quick, but let's just say I haven't seen that number on the scale in a very long time, and hope most of it's water weight from heat, flying, etc. Celebrity sighting at San Fran Airport!! Standing outside the ladies room waiting for my friends, I'm people watching. Catch the eye of a guy walking toward me and give him a small "hey" smile. Hey, wait a minute. Look again, but not conspicuously - it's Huey Lewis! Damned if he doesn't look exactly like himself! He gave a small smile back. Just two people who looked at one another being polite. Then we're on the flat escalator (I don't know what else to call it) hoofing it to the other end to our gate, and I look at a guy walking by with some gal. It was Sean Penn! He had sunglasses on, but there was no doubt it was him. Two celebrity sightings in about 10 minutes. Pretty cool! I was lookin' all over the place after that. Wink Now I'm really tired and need to get some sleep so I can get back in the exercise saddle in the early a.m. Nite! Sleepy

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Huey Lewis is one of those guys that seems like he's all about fun. Workin' for a livin' (workin') Workin' for a livin' (workin') Workin' for a livin', livin' and aworkin', I'm takin' what they're givin' cause I'm workin' for a livin'. " < insert="" hamonica="" sounds="" here="" /> (OK,,, maybe he's more about work than fun...) Confused Roll eyes
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    Hey evryday, how 'bout them Cowboys?!! Hubby a happy guy....makes the week start off better around here when they win. Joe, hey there, you're getting so close!!!! How is Buddy going to handle the taper? Have you broken the news that he doesn't get to run the race with you? Leslie, cool celeb sightings for you! Kind of a weird feeling, I'll bet. LOL re: looking all over after that. Unkonwingly, hub and I once stayed at the same hotel in San Antonio as the Dallas Mavericks. Came out of our room and ran into Dirk and Steve Nash coming out of theirs. Then we made a game out of "sighting" mavericks in the lobby for about an hour after that. Sounds like you had an exhausting weekend and will be glad to get back to a "normal" schedule...whatever that is Wink 4 miles this morning...still feeling some pain/tightness on the outside of my right knee. Gets worse throughout the run, but not a show stopper. Thinking a little ice and Vitamin I may be in order. Mom has decided that the Turkey Trot will be "too much" on Tgiving day, but I'm thinking that the endorphins might help me be more pleasant to be around with family in closer than normal quarters. Everyone is coming here, and our house is still a mess after the tile installation and an unfinished painting project. I called a painting co. today to give us an estimate, but don't know that they will be able to do the work that quickly. Oh well, we've been eating amongst the mess for a while now and so can everyone else. Gotta get back "on task" for work now. Happy runs and rests for all!
                      Morning Guys and Gals - Joe - Soon!! Agh!! Carol - Well, the fam damily was suppose to be here for Tgiving, but now they've decided they all want to come the weekend after Christmas 'cause my nephew is suppose to be flying out from Utah. First - I'm not sure how everyone decided that my house was the "it" place or that we wanted to spend the holidays with family (bear w/me on that statement), and Second - We weren't able to do the "family" thing for the first 20+ years of our marriage. Now it's becoming a regular thing. This is gonna take some getting used to. Why always my house? We're the only ones with a place big enough. It'll be interesting since the only day my dad can spend with all of us is Sunday due to his work schedule. No run today, although 3 miles was on the schedule Did my strength training, but something is going on with my left hip. It's a very specific spot on the outside right about where it bends when you sit down. Possibly something got irritated with all the sitting the last 3 days?? Dunno. But it's a very specific "gotcha" every few steps. Will do ice, Vit I, and hope it clears up over the next day or two or I might be totally screwed for my run in a couple of weeks.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

You heard it Folks ~ everyone to Carol's for Thanksgiving! Yeeha! Buddy really hearts taper week cause he's finally not getting ditched! I explained to him that he can't pee on 87 telephone pools along the way during the race and he was like "what fun is that? I'll stay home and sleep instead"!

Buddy really hearts taper week cause he's finally not getting ditched! I explained to him that he can't pee on 87 telephone pools along the way during the race and he was like "what fun is that? I'll stay home and sleep instead"!
                          Big grin Big grin Big grin PS - What's a "telephone pool"? Wink

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Big grin Big grin Big grin PS - What's a "telephone pool pole "? Wink
                            Ha! You caught my bad spelling again!! Rats!!

Big grin Big grin Big grin PS - What's a "telephone pool"? Wink
                              That's what forms AFTER Buddy pees on them Big grin Everybody, come on over for Thanksgiving and bring your paint brushes Wink We'll go run a turkey trot and come home and "cross train".
                                OK...40s, I know some of you have some races coming up soon, maybe this weekend ( I believe Arla and nj joe have races soon...maybe others). I'm 49 and my mememory is not what it used to be.....ok, it never was that great. I so want to keep up with everyones races, but forget who's doing what, when. Ileneforward keeps an "Intrepid Racers" thread where folks can have their upcoming races posted. She's got it organized nicely so everyone can see who's racing and the date of the race. If you're so inclined, please post your race plans there (as well as here, of course)....I, for one, like to share in your anticipation. Thanks and good running to you all. Smile