Masters Running

Last 'o the month runs & stuff, 6.30.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Keep enjoying Toronto, Marj & Henry!

I'm also sorry for your 'promotion, TW. ",,,,,,,,,,we may have to Stop, but we don't have to Quit" A good thought to always keep in mind.

Nice run, Dave. I'm glad everything still worked.

Tet, I'd take 55 degrees over 75 any day. Did you get the bird feeder up?

Thanks for the cross-training offer, Twocat, but I think I've had enough box transporting for a while. Nice 6er with your slow/fast training partner.

Nice 7, Aamos. But I do worry...

Good 5er in nice weather, Tselbes.

I hear you, Evanflein - box-toting and weeding are both challenging cross-training. I hope you get your Garmin issues resolved. Was it Garmin who said that dropped runs are to be expected every once in a while? I'd tell them that is not acceptable, and is not what you are paying your good money for.

Mike, you're probably still recovering from your multi-marathon madness. It likely took more of a toll on your body than you realize, so just continue to take your time getting back into running, and it'll feel good again.

We took our niece and girlfriend (who is getting married in Nov. on the day before our half marathon, so I can't go) out to our favorite French restaurant in Portsmouth last night. They are taking SUP lessons in the ocean this morning, and then will be leaving by early afternoon. I can't believe their visit is coming to a close already. They are terrific women, and we always enjoy their visits.

I planned to go 5-6 miles this morning, but took a different route on impulse, and so went 7.6 RW miles in 63F temps under clear skies, which was nice to see after yesterday afternoon's and evening's rain. I started to do a few quick-step drills in mid-workout, but I didn't have the legs for it today so I didn't keep it up for too long. So it goes.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

My stomach was giving me problems this morning, but after 3 bathroom sessions I felt good enough to go for a run. 3.67 miles. I hoped to run a little more today since it cooled off but I didn't have time.

For the past few days there have been dozens of workers in the park, cutting grass, trimming, setting up parking areas, etc. So I finally looked on-line to see if something special was going on. And I found we are hosting the East Regional Youth Soccer Tournament this weekend. They expect 4500 players and 10,000 spectators. As a comparison, the population of Barboursville is 4,087.

Opening ceremonies are today and the championship is on July 5th. The semi finals are on the 4th which is the same day I have a 5k at that same park. Could be interesting unless the 5k is done before the soccer games start.

The aftermath of the flooding in WV and the stories that are coming out are amazing.  It is being called 1000 year flood now.  The water went up so fast that whole towns were swallowed up. People have stories of sitting in their rafters listening to cries for help from their neighbors but unable to do anything. Yet, when I watch the national news there is almost no mention of it.

The aftermath of the flooding in WV and the stories that are coming out are amazing.  It is being called 1000 year flood now.  The water went up so fast that whole towns were swallowed up. People have stories of sitting in their rafters listening to cries for help from their neighbors but unable to do anything. Yet, when I watch the national news there is almost no mention of it.

I'm not understanding this either, Dave. And WAY too much coverage of the "presumed" nominees for the presidential race. Sorry about your stomach issues and I hope you get to watch some of those soccer games. There's nothing better than youth soccer.

Thanks for the most excellent recap Jay. Don't know what I'd do without 'ya.

(((Aamos)))

Well, where to start? I must be in a bad biorhythmic cycle right now. On the way home from the Y yesterday, I got a $90 ticket for "running" a red light. The policeman that pulled me over said "it was either you or the guy in the lane next to you." Must have been my lucky day. Then, I went to the dermatologist to get my stitches taken out only to find that my appointment was the day before. They said they'd have to squeeze me in some place. 45 minutes later, they had a nurse free. She took the stitches out of my arm, but when she looked at my leg she said "um, I think the doctor should see this"  Turns out the site is infected so I'm now on antibiotics for 5 days and then go back to hopefully get the stitches out. And my sister died two years ago today.....

I have seen some coverage of the flooding. But not much. Given the level of devastation you would think there would be a lot more.

This morning I woke up to perfect running weather. My hamstrings woke up to tell me they were not on board with the plan. So instead of trying to figure out how far to run, I went off and did an hour on the elliptical.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

It is being called 1000 year flood now.  

I am just curious - how do they know that?

We have had coverage on the WV flooding here, but Jlynne is right - the political stuff and the Istanbul airport bombing seem to be taking up all the time.

Jlynne - ever since I got the Kindle app on my phone, I never mind waiting anymore.  I just pull up my latest library book and enjoy the unexpected chance to read.  Hope your infection heals up quickly.

40 minutes of PT stuff and weights this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five morning miles already at 67o.
              twocat - for those of us who have run in the rain and cold so much already

that it’s a delight even when a marathon got up to 102o once,

don’t tell me there’s a anti-temperature rule no. 2?
              Jay - the suet basket was getting to be so popular that we added
              the bird feeder . . . . but so far they’re ignoring it.  we’ll see.
              <<<(jeanne)>>> so sorry, you need to go for a long run maybe.
              ps - why am I not surprised that the police officer was a guy
              and the other guy was a guy too.
              dave - right on. 
              The forty or so spam articles aol inundates us with

every 12 hours or so now don’t even include West Virginia.
              In fact, the most recent is from three days ago.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

I am just curious - how do they know that?

Beats me. First it was a 100 year flood, then it was a 500 year flood, and then they said a "1 in 1000 year occurrence".  Maybe they asked a really old guy when it was the last time something like that happened. People can live a long time back in the WV hollers.  Cindy's grandmother lived to 102.

Seems like all the years between 100 and 1000 get ripped off in that kind of system.  Who says it can't be a 397 year flood?

I wonder if the national weather service didn't cry wolf by issuing flash flood watches and warning every time it rains, maybe people would pay attention to them when they are real.  Probably wouldn't have mattered in this case anyway.

Sayhey! MM#130

For Jlynne: Image result for anniversary of loved one's death

So Jay just got wild and crazy this am.

Just a bit under 5 for me.  Someone has to be prudent.  DH took the day off and is out riding 50 miles to Sanibel beaches and around and back.

"When USGS uses terminology like “1000-year flood,” it means that, statistically speaking, a flood of that magnitude (or greater) has a 1 in 1000 chance in any given year.  In terms of probability, the 1000-year flood has a 0.1% chance of happening in any given year.  One must keep in mind a 1000-year flood value is a statistical value based on observed data."

Bye June,

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

I missed why Aamos is getting hugs? Other than just generally deserving hugs anytime, of course.

Those year intervals are based on statistical probabilities, but I don't necessarily understand it. You can have "100 year floods" two years in a row but then you wouldn't think you'd see anything that severe for a loooong time. But it could happen again.

Two much in the news about "presumptive nominees" and overseas terror attacks. No wonder people get jaded and burned out.

Jlynne, I saw your post on FB about your sister. So sorry, she looked to be such a vibrant person. And you have certainly had your run of rotten luck for awhile. Maybe that statistical probability thing will kick in and you'll have some clear sailing for awhile!

Jay, yes it was a Garmin rep who told me that you can expect to have corrupt data every now and then. And I can see it happening maybe once a year or whatever. But I've had six events (yesterday's run also failed to upload, nothing recorded past mile 5 out of 11) in six months. They finally seem to agree that's unacceptable as I got the instructions to return if for an exchange today.

Mike, I get in those running funks every now and then, but usually in December or January. Hope you snap out of it soon...

So I'm not sure what's going on with my foot/ankle. I've looked up PF, and while there are lots of similarities, there are lots of "no, that's not it" as well. Same with Peroneal tendinitis, that sounds like the ankle involvement, but not the heel. I'm running easy low miles today, and taking tomorrow off. Then low and easy on Saturday. We'll see how that helps. I've got some big races coming up in the next couple of months so this is a bad time to be laid up!

...we got a 100-year Blizzard a while ago,

but

I just thought

it was because I wouldn't mind waiting another 100-years before going thru that again

============

..but I digress......

40-min PoolRun, some Belt, closed fists, run in shallows

and

a 2-PM bike ride

(90+ degrees)

40-min on hills in a high gear for more effort

...............good running guys.......

Hugs to the Hurt

Rest for the Weary

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave, I'm glad you didn't get the floods but feel bad for the WV people who did.  jlynne, sorry about the traffic ticket and dermatology issues.  I hope it gets better soon.  evan, wishing you the best in getting your foot/ankle issues resolved.  Nice long run, evan.

this morning, it was in the mid to high 50s and almost calm. My run didn't feel too bad and I thought I was doing ok.  When I finished the 5 miles, my Garmin told me my pace was 11:58 so I guess I wasn't doing as well as I thought.

When I came in from my run, my wife told me she was having chest pain.  We headed to the hospital and they were unable to find anything definitively wrong.  They decided to keep her overnight.  Tomorrow morning, she will have a stress test and see a cardiologist.  The local hospital is not big enough to have a cardiologist available all the time.  We could have had her transported 50 miles to Saginaw or stay overnight and see the cardiologist who is scheduled to be there tomorrow.  As she was feeling ok by then, we opted for staying local.  Hopefully, it will turn out to be nothing serious but it's smart to take it seriously.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

TammyinGP

tom - i'm so glad you guys are on top of this. that's scary and so many people just brush off things like this. I know you will, but please keep us informed of how it goes. 

david appears to be having a great time in Atlanta - or at least I assume so based on the photos that he's getting tagged on over at facebook. without that I wouldn't really know what is going on. with that 3 hr time difference it's been difficult to connect via phone and I think we've only talked a couple times this week. they keep them pretty busy from morning til night. He had preliminary round competition this morning and will hopefully advance to finals. results still haven't been posted. He said the did great though. Finals are tomorrow I think  and then they are hitting a Braves/Marlins game tomorrow night. But David is wearing his Mariners shirt of course. I wonder if Ichiro Suzuki will notice him? 

not sure if i'll run tonight. I did run one measily little mile last night. it was pretty hot and that's all i felt like doing. even B&B were done and they usually never want to call it quits after a mile.

Tammy

evanflein

Hope it turns out to be nothing, Tom, but smart to have it checked out. We have a pretty good sized hospital here, and it seems to be always under construction adding new wings and facilities, and we even have a cardiac care center. but when anyone needs heart surgery, they get whisked off to Anchorage so I don't know what the point off all our stuff is. Bad Bob Baker was sent to Anchorage but stabilized here. Anyway, I hope your wife is fine and comes home soon. And pace isn't everything, ya know?

Cool on David being busy and having fun. That's an excellent experience for young people.

4.6 miles today, got rained on at the end. Hey, it looked like it was clearing off when I left so thought I'd be ok. Gets me to 201.4 for the month, 6th month in a row of 200+ miles.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I just did 6 easy miles then mowed the lawn.

It is absolutely crazy at work.  But I am taking all 3 days of this weekend off, dang it!

We had to take our car in to have an odd noise checked out.  It is costing $1410.00 to get the odd noise to stop.  Turning up the radio would have been a lot cheaper.

Okay--I guess I'd better go to bed...where I can toss and turn all night.  But first--a beer...so I can get up and pee to break up the tossing and turning.  See ya!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

TomS, so glad your healthcare professionals take DW seriously. Thankfully, with the "Red Dress" initiative, women's cardiac care is improving.

JLynne, my heart is with you.

Dave, and you. And West Virginia. Frightening. Please stay safe.

All y'all are in my thoughts, actually.

Today I spent some quality time with the folks in the imaging department at Sentara Williamsburg Regional. Firstly, the MD had to inject contrast directly into my right hip joint. First Dr. injected some lidocaine to numb the area and then proceeded (under x-ray guidance) to find the spaces he needed to inject the contrast cocktail. But he had "a little trouble" getting up past the iliopsoas tendon. He made a few attempts and then asked the tech to "Call Jim in here". Dr. Jim was able to navigate past the pesky tendon. I admired how the first doc knew when to call in Dr. Jim.

Then I had to walk down to the MRI machine (with a numb right upper leg and hip). Then I got to spend 25 minutes with headphones that barely dampened the noise. I had to hold very still in that tube and the only thing that bugged me was having my feet taped together . Nope. It also bugged me that I tried to recall song lyrics to pass the time and I could only remember refrains.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."