Masters Running

Post-Election Wednesday Daily, 11.7.12 (Read 362 times)

...thanks guys//.......I'm real pleased with it so far.....

of course,

until last week's BackSpasms go away I haven't actually RIDDEN it yet.

=======

...ribbs//........after your friend trys every thing else,

if it doesn't work,

have him try a little Modified Taping

originally it's for the Achilles, but by raising the ''anchor'' may also take some strain off The Calf

http://www.nismat.org/traincor/achilles_tape.html

worth a shot.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

You can't live your life and only have chocolate ice cream.

Why not?  Works for me.  Of course, there are many kinds of chocolate ice cream:  Rocky Road, Chocolate Therapy, Chocolate Moose Tracks, chocolate chocolate chip, ....

5 shirtless miles on a beautiful afternoon.  I'm enjoying it while it lasts - snow is in the forecast this weekend.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Why not?  Works for me.  Of course, there are many kinds of chocolate ice cream:  Rocky Road, Chocolate Therapy, Chocolate Moose Tracks, chocolate chocolate chip, ....

Big grin I rather like chocolate mint ice cream, the good kind.

Tomwhite, great web-site!

Erika, how is your papa doing?

Wish I have the time and energy to comment on more, but I don't right now, but I do want to share my two blessings today.

Blessing number one: being able to leave work when I wanted to capture the last day of sunshine for a while. I was able to run 9 miles just the way I wanted it. First six was at tempo on a new route (first time in a while that I was able to keep an 8:30 tempo and not feel that I am dying). Then I ran 3 sproinky miles with the Easy Pacer.

Blessing number two: I received a text from one of my other sons saying: bringing pizza for dinner for the family. No need to worry about dinner. Ohhh my, this kid's pizza could easily be sold for $30 a pizza in a restaurant. It is to dye for. 

So yes, call me Pampered Posie Big grin

Ohh...there is a blessing number three...but won't bother you with it Wink.

Go OrangeMat gooooooo!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Top 'O the World!

A Pampered Posie definitely sounds like a good thing! Wink

Oh, I don't think we've begun to list all of the chocolate ice cream options! A cute little shop up in Fairplay had a Jack Daniels double chocolate somethingorother this past Summer that was positively evil!!! Big grin

Keeping it short & easy around the neighborhood w/the furbaby this week....Getting a bit of work to break up the studying & have another 10K group run this Sat am followed by about a dozen massages.....

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Nice bike, TW!  Hope you get to ride it soon.

Yum - Rocky Road - Yum!!

My 4 miles this morning were wonderful!  And now I just realized I have to run 5 miles tomorrow AND do core/strength.  Who figured out this schedule?  Five days in a row of running doesn't sound like a rest period to me.  Guess that's what I get for being a woos and not running Monday. Roll eyes

. . . .

. . . .

I keep looking the pile transcription that seems to be never ending, and I wonder if I'll ever have time to myself again.  I know, I know, I need to quite whining, 'cause soon I'll be wondering when another job will be coming my way.  But I tell you what, it sure would be nice if it was more spread out.  This has been a tough (read: B-U-S-Y) week at work so far, and coming home and working more is wearing me out.  BUT, I am blessed that I have a job, that I have the extra work to pay for my running, and I just need to suck it up, buttercup!! Joking  

Okay - Nite ~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Maniac 505

Erica: The looks shouldn't have been too strange. That's where I always run. Bikes are used to runners there,.& vice versa. I wish I could have gotten together with you and some of the other Seattle contingent. I am in California now. My father died this morning, 10years or so with Alzheimer, 5 years out so severe, the last three months moved to a great home when my mom couldn't take care of him anymore. 89 years old,. married 65 years. Mom is still healthy. an aneurysm ruptured in his stomach, midnight, Saturday, the Dr said he would not live till Sunday morning. I took the first flight I could get, not expecting him to be alive when I got there Sunday night He passed on 4:00 am Wednesday morning my mom and I were both there. It was a first for both of use I'm typing on my phone, sorry for the auto correct. hope to get some sleep tonight, and go for 3 miles or so when I wake up. (in my current shape, 3 miles is a medium long run for me) Again, sorry I've been gone so long,.and in the past I've said I would like to return to this community, Hoping I really return this time
              Mariposai

Divechief, so sad to hear that your papa died, but we are happy that you were there when it happened.

Paul and I send our sincere condolences to you and the family.

Be well our dear friend.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dave - sorry about your dad. Hope your mom’ll be okay.  I remember thinking how proud they must have been when you made up for a DNF injury and year long recovery up here by running a BQ right past their house down there in only your second marathon.  Actually, we’re kind of proud of you too. Welcome back.

Erika - you're running the best routes in town, especially down along the waterfront. Wear blinking lights though for any night running so the cyclists can see you before it's too late. Very glad for your successful trip for your sourdough dad.

Doggone it Mariposai, you always forget to mention the best blessing of all, - you.  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Dave, so sorry about your dad. Yes, it was very good that you could be there with your mom. I hope you guys are all doing ok... 

The part where I turned around was past Terminal 91... it got really narrow, really fast and didn't feel safe at all. The rest was fine, nice and wide with no fence, and most of it had the pedestrians/runners separated from the bikers anyway. And thanks, Tet, but no night running here for me. I've already tripped a couple times on uneven sidewalks, there's no way I'd try it in the dark.

And Dave, the only run I've done with anyone was Sunday's fun trip to Discovery Park with Enke. Nancy couldn't make it up here after all so we'll have to do that another time.

Dad is doing really quite well, just gets tired easily. He's still a little unsteady though, and moves pretty slowly, but he's getting stircrazy hanging around the hotel. I think tomorrow we might head out to an art supply store he's wanted to visit, and maybe a bookstore. Mom is out of stuff to read.

Bushrat Runner

Didn't make it out to run because...I took the afternoon off to get a photo for Tet. Of course, while I was out there, I took a few others as well...

We had a string of clear but uncomfortably windy days. The kind of days that are fine if you are traveling somewhere and need to cover ground, but not so smooth that you would go flying for fun. And I didn't need to go anywhere, so I wasn't flying. But today was supposed to be different. It started out this morning at -2F, and wonderfully calm, I think the wind was less than 8 mph (that's calm for us). We headed out to Brooks, and the first thing that caught my eye was this pattern of ice formations out in front of Mortuary Cove. 

We headed up toward the Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes after a couple circles around Brooks, and the Valley finally has a nice little cover of snow. 

A few days back, there was no snow and the wind was picking up the ash and dropping it in Kodiak. Whenever that happens, the Volcano Observatory gets called and people want to know when the eruption happened...and they get to tell them...100 years ago...

A little further up the valley we had a nice view of Novarupta. It is the lava plug in the middle of the photo. The largest eruption since Tambora came out of that little hole, believe it or not. It took a long time after the 1912 eruption to figure that out, though.

We swung up to get a view of Mount Martin, which has the most consistent visible plume of steam in Katmai. On a clear day with the right sort of humidity in the winter, the steam plume can be pretty high, and be visible from King Salmon and Naknek. It was visible yesterday...so we went over to get a close up. The heat in the caldera is persistent, and water is steaming off. As we flew past, we got a strong whiff of rotten eggs...

From Mount Martin, we headed back down toward Mount Katmai, to get a photo for Tet. But before we got there, Mount Griggs was visible standing proud above the Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes. 

Mount Katmai was thought to be the source of the 1912 eruption until many years later it was discovered that the little plug at Novarupta was the culprit. Mostly by the depth of the ash layer, which is over 700 feet deep around the Novarupta vent. But Mount Katmai used to be the tallest mountain around. After the eruption, Mount Katmai had collapsed, so it was labeled as the source of the eruption. But Novarupta drained the magma chamber underneath Mount Katmai, and it collapsed on itself. Pretty wild to imagine a huge pile of rock falling in on itself...glad I wasn't there at the time.

We went on up the mountains, and as we were passing Snowy Mountain, I looked down and saw an amazing little valley that was glowing in the sunlight...

After that, we flew on quite a ways, but the sky was starting to get a high overcast, so the photo opportunities weren't quite so compelling afterwards...

But I did take one more photo. While it was near zero on the ground, we were flying around up in an inversion at 30F. Inversions are very fun in the air in the winter, as they turn mountain views into strange paranormal things...but usually only in the distance such that it is hard to get a good photo with the camera arrangement I use for aerial photos. But I went ahead and tried to get one for illustration. The mountains in the distance aren't really shaped like that...

Good runs all. Tomorrow is swimming day for me.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks for the flyover and 100th anniversary photos of Novarupta and the Mt. Katmai caldera complete with the little glacier. I saw it for the first time as a wide-eyed college kid on a similar flight in 1962. I still am.  Can you still cut trees with rings showing the ash-driven spurts of growth in the years after 1912?  Sure would like to get in there on x-c skis though.  I'll be dreamin' of those Brooks Lake days tonight.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Bushrat Runner

I will have to get back to you on the trees after I talk to the botany folks...

Looking at my photos makes me want to return for another try...could have got a better one. But I couldn't hog all the photos, had to let the passenger have a chance to take photos as well.

Marathon Maniac #957

Ohh...there is a blessing number three...but won't bother you with it Wink.

Ohh, you are keeping us in suspense!

{{{Divechief}}}  Sorry about the loss of your dad.

C-R - I share your annoyance with unopposed candidates  There is a certain domestic relations judge here who has run unopposed for several terms, and I have no idea why; she is known for not doing her job and for never being there.  If you get a case in her court it can take years because of 1) scheduling difficulties because she takes so much time off every year and 2) because it takes forever for her to come out with a decision on a case.  The worst judge in that court, most attorneys who work it think, but she has the support of her political party.  Such is politics.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

[[[[[divechief]]]]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I'm sorry for your loss, Divechief.  It's good you made it there in time.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me