Masters Running

Skyfall Friday - Nov. 9 (Read 337 times)

Dave59

Anyone going to see Skyfall?  I'm not a huge Bond fan and I've never been to a Bond movie in the theater, but I sort of want to go to this one.

I ran an easy 2 miles this morning.  Still thinking about trying a half marathon tomorrow.  I'm not as confident as I was on Monday.

Good running to the real racers:

11/10 lyndenrunner- Turkey Trot 5K Lynden WA

11/10 tetsujin209 - First Call Veteran's Day Marathon - Bothel, WA (barefoot)

11/10 Holly S - Spud Run 15K, Spring Valley, OH

11/11 MilkTruck - Seacoast Half Marathon, Portsmouth, NH

11/11 OrangeMat - Harrisburg Marathon, Harrisburg, PA

Slo

No plans to see Skyfall. I do enjoy an occasional James Bond movie from time to time though.

The last two trips I've made to the theater have been Clint Eastwood movies.

Again, stayed comfortable under the covers...third morning in a row. Will need to make it a run after work.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

DW and I go to the movies about once every 5-10 years or so. It's obviously just not what we do. So I doubt that you'll find us in a Skyfall audience.

5.4 miles at 4:15 this morning. It was about 37F, with a serious breeze that crawled in my hat at times and curled around my ears. There were lots of loose clouds with big gaps between them that let the sliver of a moon light the landscape. My back is giving me grief again, and there is some kind of bug that I'm holding at bay, but not by a lot. So there was no hard work in my workout today, but it was nice to be out there.

We're having dinner tonight with some racewalkers from away. They are working with me as guest instructors at a racewalking clinic tomorrow morning, and then will be competing in the walking div. of our Seacoast Half Marathon on Sunday. DN & husband arrive tomorrow afternoon, staying overnight with us, and also racing on Sunday. We're in good shape for the race, but I still won't sleep much tonight or tomorrow night. I love this race, I love that we give away every penny that we pull in, and I love that we have a race committee that performs beautifully on race day. And yet, I'll be so glad when Sunday afternoon rolls around...

Good luck, good strategies, and good speed to this weekend's racers!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

My youngest has the day off from school today and although I have work this morning, ending with a client conference call by 1:30 I'll be done for the day, so assuming he's awake I may take him to see the Bond movie.  I remember in the early 60's as a high schooler reading all the Bond books by Ian Fleming as they came out. I loved them!  In fact, this morning I was thinking of going back and re-reading them.

An easy 5 in the park with my RP, after a core workout on the legs at the Y.  That sure makes a difference on a run. Never did it that way before.  I'll do 4+ tomorrow for a 40 mile week, which I count as a good week as it started with a half marathon.   Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

We're having dinner tonight with some racewalkers from away. They are working with me as guest instructors at a racewalking clinic tomorrow morning, and then will be competing in the walking div. of our Seacoast Half Marathon on Sunday. DN & husband arrive tomorrow afternoon, staying overnight with us, and also racing on Sunday. We're in good shape for the race, but I still won't sleep much tonight or tomorrow night. I love this race, I love that we give away every penny that we pull in, and I love that we have a race committee that performs beautifully on race day. And yet, I'll be so glad when Sunday afternoon rolls around...

Good luck, good strategies, and good speed to this weekend's racers!

Jay

I've said it before--This is best run race I've ever done (and the only one I've done twice).  Hope you're back holds out so you can enjoy the day (and guests).

One lake loop this morning in reverse from the normal direction.  the wind was strong enough and in the direction that would have given me a long return into the wind, so a little change of pace.

Can't remember the last movie DW and I went to see.  We hardly watch them for free on cable, much less shell out double figures for tickets and popcorn (been so long, I'm not sure what the going rate is these days).  Having said that, we got sucked into watching National lampoons Vacation last night.  We were looking for something deep and intellectual. Roll eyes  30 years old and I had forgotten that it was R rated.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

I've never watched a James Bond movie.  I've seen clips, of course, but somehow managed to miss them all.  Not really my cup of tea.

Gorgeous autumn day here for an easy 5-miler.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

I love Bond movies.  But like many of you, I am averaging one theatre movie every 5 years lately.  Only about one at-home movie a year too.

No run today, I screwed up my neck sitting awkwardly on the bus yesterday (was being squished by some passengers).

Work is going well, I spent a few months trying to generate a new cell line and I found out it worked!  The boss actually thinks we can write up a short paper on it.  Not bad for a part-time worker that is not really supposed to be doing lab work (shh, don't tell the administration!)  Plus, the paper from our big collaborative effort is being submitted today, finally.

Looking forward to the long weekend, cool and sunny.  Ice on the car this morning.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I'm even more out of touch.. I hadn't even heard of the movie "Skyfall" until this morning's thread.

Been delaying going out for my easy 3-miler all morning. I think I'm nervous about my race. It's to be expected, right? And of course I just filled out the registration form for yet another race, only an 8k on Thanksgiving Day, which I'm rationalizing that I'll be pacing at friend at a nice and easy 10 minute pace. Assuming I can walk, that is...

I wasn't excited about NYC. I am excited about Harrisburg. So ok, I'll hold onto that bit of positivity to tell myself that all this nervousness is indeed A Good Thing. Smile

Enjoy your Friday, all!

Slo

I wasn't excited about NYC. I am excited about Harrisburg.

Premonitient intuition?

...very cool jay//.................have a great race

=========

over-did pt xs

(BIG

SHOCK)

..........waiting out FlareUp

poolrun tomorrow, 2nd BikeRide Sunday

.................good running guys.....................They tell you you're gonna get Smarter with Age, but ya Don't.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I love going to the movies, but it's so expensive, and trying to get The Hub to a movie . . . .well, he'd rather rip off all his fingernails.  That being said, I have the entire of Thanksgiving off, and I've already declared that I am not going to sit in the house for 9 straight days.  Besides other suggestions of things we could do, he said, "We could go to a matinee one day."  I plan to hold him to it. Smile

I was suppose to get up and run this a.m., but rolled over when the alarm went off at 4:30.  Good thing, too, as The Hub said it was pouring down rain and 39 degrees.  Will go out for a run after work, although it'll still be raining.  But it's easier to get out in the cold after work than from a warm, cozy bed.  Smile

Have a good weekend ~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

A matinee movie sounds like fun; it's certainly the only way we ever go to the big movies, and that's been a really long time ago. It's a fun thing to do though, and this does sound like a good movie to see on the "big screen," so maybe we'll go. We usually go to a place west of town that we like where they show movies that are off the big screen, but not released to DVD yet. The movies are cheap (compared to the big movie theaters), and we can order food and drinks, it's a lot of fun. Concerts there, too.

Do the HM, Dave! Nobody says every effort has to be all-out, ya know? Nice supported long run, nothing wrong with that.

Have a good race, Jay! Sounds like it has a very good reputation.

Enke, congratulations on getting that paper submitted. That's the one we were talking about, right?

I had all sorts of plans of taking the bus down to the waterfront and running there this morning. It would save me a mile of stop-and-go running down the hill through traffic, and I found the route, fare, etc that I would need. But.... I really needed to be out the door before 7, and suffice to say I didn't make it. Oh well. I left around 7:30 and headed east, found another nice quiet hilly neighborhood to run around in. These residential areas are really quite nice, and they have traffic "circles" (not true roundabouts, but circles) intersections to slow/calm traffic. I like the little trees or bushes growing in most of them, and find myself wondering what these people were to do in the case of an ice storm. Some of these roads (big and small) are really steep! I would think most people just stay home, but I'm sure the driving gets real exciting real soon.

Anyway, I ran up and down and around for 4.4 miles, ending at a nearby Starbucks where I treated myself to a 20 oz coffee and a banana. I solved the cold hands problem by wearing a pair of black socks on my hands, and my Starbucks card tucked in there quite nicely.

We leave tomorrow evening. This has been a long week, and we could've gone home earlier but mom didn't find any flights that she liked. I miss DH a lot, even though we're texting, calling and e-mailing all the time. I don't know how couples where one or both travel extensively do it.... I think I'll try the waterfront run again tomorrow morning, and take Dave up on his assurance that the bike path does get more runner-friendly after Terminal 91.

I'm with Ribs on having read the Ian Fleming books in the early 60s, but I think I'd be disappointed if I tried reading them again. And I saw all of the early Sean Connery movies starting with Dr. No on up, skipped a couple in the Roger Moore era, but really like the last couple with Daniel Craig (although Sean Connery will always be the image of James Bond!).

In preparation for the latest, I played my "30th Anniversary" CD of the Bond title songs. It's a great album, with pop starts from all eras, including Shirley Bassey, Dionne Warwick, Carly Simon, Tom Jones, Louis Armstrong, Nancy Sinatra, Rita Coolidge, Gladys Knight, Lulu, and Paul McCartney. Not many films do "original scores" these days, so these are a real throwback treat!

No running today, but finally finished with the TV/Internet/phone changeover with time for (hopefully) one last lawn mowing and some other yard cleanup.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

I miss DH a lot, even though we're texting, calling and e-mailing all the time. I don't know how couples where one or both travel extensively do it....

My DH is away for 2 weeks, and I kind of like the "me" time!  Sure, I like having him home, too, but we've been married for 30 years, so a few breaks here and there are a good thing, IMO.   He doesn't have cell phone service where he's working, but we have email and skype to keep in touch.

Seemomgo talked me into signing up for a trail half marathon tomorrow (or maybe I talked her into it, I'm not sure which...)   Trouble is, today the weather is beautiful, and tomorrow the forecast isn't so good.  I hate to take a rest day when the weather is this nice, but I race better when I take a rest day first.  Oh, well, it is what it is. 

Good luck to the other weekend racers!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Seemomgo talked me into signing up for a trail half marathon tomorrow (or maybe I talked her into it, I'm not sure which...)   Trouble is, today the weather is beautiful, and tomorrow the forecast isn't so good.  I hate to take a rest day when the weather is this nice, but I race better when I take a rest day first.  Oh, well, it is what it is. 

Good luck to the other weekend racers!

I can't wait to see what is MikeE  says about this HM this weekend! LOL 

Great to see Roach Joking back to the internet world! 

Look at all the races this weekend! I envy you guys who have so many races around you. I ache to race, but nothing nearby that I can participate in and traveling budget is all used up for the year. Ohh well...there is always skiing to look forward to in a few weeks.

Speaking of snow, it snowed in the Mountains today, which made traveling over the pass not fun, but I am but home now and ready for a 4 day weekend (I have Tuesday off as well). More later, now it is time for a nap.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard