Masters Running

Splishy, splashy Sunday, Oct 18 (Read 412 times)

Well, it is splishy, splashy for some of us, anyway.  Our outlook is 48°F, 100% chance of rain, 25mph winds, gusts to 37.  Yes, Steve, I will wear a cap, but I'm not sure for how long Smile  Don't worry, the wind will only be in our faces from miles 7 to 21 

It look much better in Columbus, however, with 34-43° (8-12), 0% chance of rain, 5-9mph winds.  (Doesn't look much better in Lowell, MA, though -- cooler with rain, but lighter winds

Anyway, I thought I'd start the day with a picture of baby Nate, showing some of his new baby-abilities.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good luck to our racers in Columbus and at BayState!

We'll leave for the start in about 30 minutes. We've got no idea how to dress this time.  Take the temperature, adjust for wind, adjust for torrential rain, spend some time thinking about gusts vs sustained wind and the chances thereof.  Then just give up in blind panic and decide it can't possibly matter that much.  Right?

Just nerves...  We'll be fine.  Really.  In a drowned rat kind of way...

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Slo

Great Photo !  Looks like he's ready to go !

Good Luck Racers !

What an adorable child. They're so fun when they're that size...mine now weigh 40 and 80 lbs, respectively, so the "pick up and goo-goo-goo" days are over.

What with the weather, it looks like the Beers' attainment of "maniac" status will be well-earned.

Good luck in Columbus, racers!

Off for a hilly 10-miler.

Walt

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

We've got no idea how to dress this time... . . adjust for wind, adjust for torrential rain,

Then just give up in blind panic and decide it can't possibly matter that much.  Right?..

dear drowed rats.  We're so sorry for you.  Let us know if you figure anything out.

I'm slow enough to have been able to have worn full-fledged foul weather commercial fishing rainwear (that works just fine on the boat), garbage bags, umbrella hats, carry dry long-sleeve tech shirts in zip-locks (with small towel), and even umbrellas but, except for neoprene, wetsuit like aquasock beach shoes with wool socks to keep feet warm, the wind, and distance involved, usually thwart it all so I just end up vowing never to spend 26.2 miles in those conditions again no matter how much was paid for entry fee. 

Unfortunately, like vowing never to run a second marathon, it never works.

ps posie - watch out!  Your running so much and callin' it taperin' might get you another boomer goddess 15-min PR too!

ps tammie - I'm in it too <<<(oysters/oysters)>>>>  so please let the PR goddess queen know you too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Slo

Holly and Buckeye are both on pace to finish around a 9:00 pace. Both have passed the 20 mile mark.

They're the only ones that posted thier bib #'s.

TammyinGP

good luck to all the racers! Stay warm, stay cool, stay dry, have just the right amount of rain to keep you hydrated . . . I think I have everyone covered. But mostly important run strong!

Baby Nate is such a cutie! I loved that age because their personalities really start to show through. I bet he's a fun boy!

Have a good day everyone! Not sure if I'll head out for a short run today or not. If I feel like it, I will.  If I don't feel like it, I won't.

Tammy

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

When ever I started getting tired on my run today I looked at my watch and figured how long the Beers and LaT have been running in a No'easter and my run became easy again!

Knee draining worked! 17 miles of hills in 2:31:24 (8:51 pace with last few in the low 8's). 39°, cloudy, no rain, no wind to speak of.. IRC!

I really can't imaging running a marathon in torrential rain with windchill 32 and gusts to the 40's mph, head on..... true Maniacs!!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Morning, gang!

Lou and PDR - I was thinking about you guys as I watched the local weather station this morning.  We have a friend from work who was supposed to run Newport as well, but I suspect he probably opted out given the lovely weather.  I hope all goes well.  Love the photo of little Nate!

Perch -glad the knee is better - nice run!

I took a rest day yesterday and did 6 cautious, slow, easy miles on the treadmill this morning @10:57 pace.   I'll take it easy this week - just a couple runs (a real taper for a change) and hopefully will be able to make it through the race next weekend.   I appear to have a piriformis/sciatic problem, so I'm icing, taking anti-inflammatories and keeping my fingers crossed.  

Looking forward to reading dg's and other's weekend race reports!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning All----- May be too late for some as they may have already finished, but wanted to wish all of our racers good luck and good times. I know the race is fun and the main thing, but the experiences and friends make for a Grand time also.....as I found out at Seattle ----LOVE the cutie picture Lou! -------My Doctor cleared me to run again, and I had a good 16 miler yesterday (easy) to test my calf.....it felt perfect. Then I ran 7 miles this morning in beautiful conditions (almost exactly the same as those running Columbus) Again my calf felt Greta, so my Marathon is on and that makes me very happy. All my Cycling really has kept me in great shape, so I am not really lacking fitness wise what so ever ------Hope everyone has a Great and Happy Day!-------TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Slo

Holly  3:50:59

Buckeye 4:01:11

Nice running people !

King of PhotoShop

3:45:40 for Breger!  Wow!  Boston here he comes.  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy too.  Well done Bill.

Great race for Holly as well.  Spareribs

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

An exciting race day today!   I was thinking of Deb during my run this morning as well as all the others, but this being Deb's first and all.   One year ago today I was running my first.   Wow!

I was out for what was supposed to be a leisurely 9 this morning, when during mile 3 I realized that I had not set the kiln properly for the stage it was in, so I sped up a little got home at 6.65, fixed the settings and then finished it out.   Oh well - no harm done.   At least not that I know of.

Nicely done Holly, Buckeye and Byll!!   Congratulations!!!!!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Great news!

GO BREGER!!!!!!!!  

Hurray Holly!

I was just going to check the results. Thanks Ribs and I am grinning now.

18.5 miles for me today-----so grateful I am not running the Baystate Marathon as I was last year on this date (Sorry Tramps and the Beers  in RI)---The first 14 miles with Iron J at 7 am---41º, light rain and wind. By 9 am as we finished it was 38º, wind was at about 30 mph (felt like 30º) and the Nor-easter was upon us with driving rain. We just laughed. I trotted off to the Farmland 5k---a race put on my running club and banged out a 21:32---first mile in 6:42 with wind at my back and then last 2 miles straight into a wall of wind. Very happy anyway.

So excited for all our marathoners and racers today. Can't wait to hear all the results.

dg sightings yet?

Baby Nate is adorable---awesome photo and he is on his own starting line.

evanflein

Got a very excited voice mail message from Holly this morning about Bill getting his BQ. You'd think she was pulling for the guy or something... Congratulations to Byll, it's been quite a ride for him to get that. Holly didn't get a PR but it is a better BQ time than she had so she's good with that. Can't wait to hear the reports...

And how's Deb doing?

Hope the Beers and LaTortuga are doing ok, that weather did not sound fun at all.