Masters Running

Patriot Run (Read 221 times)

TomD

This one is 9 hours and 11 minutes long on a course of .728 of a mile.  My challenge to myself is to match my age by running 61 laps.  At the start it is already nearing 80 degrees at the noon start.  It is sunny and very humid too.

My goal for this one is to finish 8 laps the first three hours, 7 laps the next two hours, 6 laps the next two hours, 5 laps the last two hours, and then number 61 the final 11 minutes.  I want to run the laps at 7 minute the first hour and a half or so.  With only 3 days rest from running the Heart of America Marathon I am not 100% at the start.  I feel stiff and out of sorts. 

My first lap is 5:46.  I slow down to 6:15 the second lap.  Then the third lap is 6:45 where I stay around the rest of the hour.  I finish with 9 laps at 1:00:06.  I feel okay, but I am not sure how I will fare in this humidity and heat. 

The second hour I am able to get in 8 more laps with my count now 17 after 1:56.  I stay at a go pace this hour, but what will it be the next three hours.  These are critical hours.  It will cool off some the final four hours.

The third hour I am able to run another 8 laps.  It was difficult to keep the sweat out of my eyes.  With 25 laps done and running well my friends are giving me encouragement as I lap them.

The fourth hour I ran  7 laps.  The humidity is really draining me.  I am over half way there after 4 hours.  I am hoping that I do not far apart in the next lap.  After that I should be able to go at a steady pace, since it will be cooling off finally.

The fifth hour I put in 7 laps.  I know it will start cooling off quite a bit each of the next 4+ hours.  I need to slow down some off and on.  I feel dizzy and out of sorts.  I start walking some towards the end of this hour.

The sixth hour I complete 6 laps.  I start feeling better now.  I can see me running 61 laps today, but I still have a ways to go.

The seventh hour I was able to get 6 more laps in.  It has cooled off quite a bit now.  I feel very confident that I will get in not only 61 laps, but 63 laps.

The eigth hour sees me to get another 6 laps.  I am at 57 laps.  I feel sore but I am still able to go steady as I have the past few hours.

The ninth hour I complete another 6 laps.  I have now completed 63 laps in 1:56.  I take my time in this last lap to use it to help cool down my very sore muscles.

I still do not know how I placed with 64 laps, 46.6 miles, but I should be in the top 10 somewhere.  I friend of mine felt I was second over all.  I still have not seen an offical  finish.

Next is the Bohemian Alps 50k in Brainard, NE, September 19th. 

TomD

evanflein

Wow, you beat your goal in that heat! Good for you, Tom! And so close after HOA, too. Good job, and so nice to see you running, racing and reporting again.

Great going, Tom, to beat your goal by 3 laps on a hot day.  You just keep adding to your legend.

TomS

wildchild

Carolyn

Another good run, Tom!  I checked the results, and you placed 8th.  And Barefoot Rick was 13th, with 56 laps.  An amazing distance, especially in H&H conditions. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tom - you are truly an inspiration!  Another amazing run!  Congratulations on beating your goal!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OMG!  Fantastic feet feat!
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                Absolutely awesome, Tom!!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

The conditions sound awful for an ultra.  Managing hydration, fuel, and elecrolytes is a challenge in any conditions, but this was amazing.  You were first in my (>60) book.  On to the next one, eh?
                    Quite a trip!  Not sure I could (even healthy)  have made even half the loops without, well, going loopy myself!  Congratulations.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/