Masters Running

The Ides of May, 5.15.16 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone,

Just a quickie this morning. I'm putting the final touches on getting ready to host today's judged racewalking races, and am also making sure the house is in good shape for DW's return today. The weather today is coolish (low 50s), overcast, and windy. All of that is good for the races, except for the wind, which I know the racers will really feel on the wide-open track. So it goes - at least it isn't raining!

I lightened up the photo from yesterday's meetup so you could see all those smiling faces a little better. I hope Mike is having fun exploring Maine today as he gets ready for marathon #1.

No workout for me this morning - too focused on the day's races. Maybe tomorrow.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Well...it's about 10:30 am...it's, probably, about time I start thinking about tomorrow and the week ahead.  I'm not sure what the deal is...I just can't seem to get it through my head that I'm running a marathon, tomorrow...and the next day...and the next day...and the next day.  Maybe my mind has gone into a defensive mode and is protecting me from thinking about the pain that lies ahead.  Aww...what the heck...it's all for fun right?

milktruck emailed me and has offered to show me around a little bit.  Like yesterday's meetup, I just think it's so cool how people take time from their busy lives to get together.  It's one thing to meet up when everybody is doing the same event, but to just drop everything they're doing to meet...that is just very cool.  Thank you!

Okay--I'd better get going.  See ya!

The weather today is coolish (low 50s), overcast, and windy.

Oh, you don't know what "coolish" is! It was 33° this morning with a good stiff wind out of the northeast. They actually got snow in the northern part of the state!

Nice of you to get the house clean and shiny for your DW's return Jay, though I don't think you had time to make much of a mess anyway, right?

Good luck with all of your marathons this week Mike! Knowing you, you are well prepared for the days ahead, and I'm hoping that each race gets a little easier. I can't wait to READ about your adventures, because I could never do anything like this!

I tried to run this morning, and my lungs said "not so fast, girlfriend." Still feeling carpy after a weekend of upper respiratory crud so I went to the Y and did 45 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights. Just hoping that I'm almost finished with this cold stuff and will be ready to go next weekend.

DH just left to play golf in a tournament that we were signed up for this morning. DS#2 gladly took my place. When my DH left the house, he had so many layers of clothes on I don't know how he can possibly swing a golf club! It's up to 40° now. It was so cold this morning there was an hour frost delay at the golf course. Even staying home to clean for the party next weekend sounds more fun than that! Have a great Sunday everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - just remember, you don't have to actually win these races, just survive them, okay?

Jlynne - I definitely don't golf when it is cold.

I did some weeding today, and carpet cleaning. I will try to spend several hours remoting into the office, since I will be taking next Friday and then the following Monday off, trying to keep up.  And I will spend time  arguing with DD over what she can take helping DD pack for the 8th grade trip to Washington DC this week.  They will be gone 4 days total and she has stuffed at least 16 outfits into her suitcase so far.  We need to lighten that load a bit - I reminded her that 55 other kids need to fit their suitcases into the storage compartment of the bus, too.

7.5 miles for me today in 45 breezy degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Mike - just remember, you don't have to actually win these races, just survive them, okay?

Yep.  You don't know how many times I've told myself that very same thing.

Well, I just got back from a a great tour of the city of Portland, Maine.  Seriously--if things don't work out with milktruck's current job, he could be a professional tour guide.  I had a great time and learning the history of the city and seeing the sites--Maine is everything I had imagined it would be...and I would not have seen a bit of it if milktruck hadn't drug me out of my hotel room.

Okay--I have to get to the store, pick up my race packet, and get to bed.  See ya!

Mike, you are in denial!  But have fun - you will!  And a terrific picture of the RA boys with Marj.

No one should be talking about my libido (or lack there of) on this forum!  Just saying.  No, 800 dollars, no thanks.  Although I wouldn't mind dissolving some fat in a few places other than my chin.

So I felt kind of crummy yesterday and never got out for a run.  And this was supposed to be a 30 mile week.  I totally blew it.  At least I went for a walk with my son.  So I went out for 10-12 today, but after 5 miles at Bridle trails, my knee was achy.  I thought I'd give it a rest by driving to a different park and changing shoes.  So then I ran the 5K course I will be racing next weekend.  Sometimes speeding up is ok for the knee, kind of bizarre right?  I had no pain at all for those miles.  Anyway, I ran the first mile fast, the second much easier, then the 3rd mile fast again.  I was surprised I actually had some speed.  This feels so much easier than just one month ago.  I am hoping for a 3rd place AG award next weekend - but it all depends on who shows up.  At least I know the course really well now and will be able to tackle it mentally.  Then I did a 2 mile cool down.  10.1 total.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

MikeE - for those of us who used to be able to do stuff like that or, at least, thought we could if we would have, we’re counting on you to do well, . . . very well. Don't let us down.
                Survived GS’s first camp out by putting on the bear slippers (with my glued-on vibram soles) used for last year’s Bloomsday to chase ten first graders around in the woods, fashioning a fishing rod for them out of a stick, string and safety pin that, with a hot dog bait, caught one big enough to cook in tinfoil in the campfire. Unfortunately, back to reality tonight but looking forward to more meetings likely next week or week after. Yippee.@

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Survived GS’s first camp out by putting on the bear slippers (with my glued-on vibram soles) used for last year’s Bloomsday to chase ten first graders around in the woods, fashioning a fishing rod for them out of a stick, string and safety pin that, with a hot dog bait, caught one big enough to cook in tinfoil in the campfire. Unfortunately, back to reality tonight but looking forward to more meetings likely next week or week after. Yippee.@

Tet - you are an awesome grandpa!

Enke - I'm rooting for you!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Well...so far, I am not impressed with the race organization.  We were assigned numbers but they did not realize that the chips were not attached to the bibs. Then there was a discussion about whether they needed to be.  So, I guess, they will

have them for us in the morning.  And, rather than having a different shirt for each race, there is only one shirt for the series.  How can I wear the shirt if I don't do the entire series?  I will, forever, have to say, "No, I only did four."

Sorry--I'll stop complaining and eat my pasta.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

loving the saga of Mike and his marathons........REALLY giving thanks we are not running in Green Bay THIS weekend, thanks for the report, Jlynne......just remind us of it if we dare say "boo!" about the coming weekend weather....which looks really excellent....so it will prolly change....but we'll be in it together, so it'll be ok!

just 12 for me with 2 bridge round trips (do we have hills in GB?) .......the schedule said 8 to 12.

looking forward to the RW races report...hope the wind isn't too bad

rooting with Holly for you enke...glad you are running, wild.....tet, just you being you is a treat.

went walking w/ DH after my run, did our first errand in the new car....talked w/ his mom, who is celebrating her 94th birthday (the 17th, but party is today)....he's going up in July for a visit.....me too, carpet cleaning (bleh) and other chores......but you know, it was a greta day in the Fens

looking forward to picking a book for the plane trip Friday from my stash (don't bring library books on trips, so I have a little stack)

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

SteveP

Tet - you are an awesome grandpa!

Enke - I'm rooting for you!

5ish miles.

My step sister sent a copy of her flight information.

I'm packed and ready to go home Monday afternoon. It was snowing there this morning. Still missing the tribe.

SteveP

an amazing likeness

Mike was interested in pasta for lunch to fortify himself for the insane plan challenge of the coming days. So we ended up at a local place, and they managed to fit us in...

So I'm talking with Mike and all that's going through my thoughts is...this seems like a decent, normal person -- why would a decent, normal, quiet person sign up for his plan?

Good luck Mike!  Run easy!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

evanflein

Mike's doing a Quadzilla plan! He'll get up to what, 6 stars for that? I got to 5 stars by doing the three in three days a couple years ago. It's definitely doable, especially if you don't have a gnarly 50k as your first race (not well planned), and don't have any particular time goals. Go MIke!

I agree, Tet is an awesome grandpa. And I obviously missed something if we're talking about Enke's libido... really guys?

Like Amy, I ran 12 miles today (12.3) to finish up the runs of any real distance before next Sunday. My left knee and right hip were barking at me off and on, so I guess that's a real taper set up, right? So now is it time to start checking the weather for Green Bay next Sunday? As I understand it, like most states any forecast at this point is pretty sketchy but it still gives a place to start. "So Far..." it's looking nice if not a bit warm with a high of 75° and sunny, but at least the winds are expected to be less than 10 mph so that's nice. Ah really don't lahk da wind!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

You were there even before the blue hair special folks?  Hope the pasta was good.  Have a great race tomorrow.  Run sensibly if at all possible.

Tet--you must have some really good fishing if that rig actually worked.

Jay--I think you may have lightened it up too much, it looks like I have no hair.

6.99 miles this morning.  Just to prove I'm not OCD, I stopped the Garmin when I met one of the neighborhood dogs and I did have a biscuit this time.  And I didn't start it back up.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike looks like he is praying....which is completely understandable.  No seriously, Mike, you are my hero and I can't wait to hear how it goes...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."