Masters Running

Sunday Daily, 1.31.16 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone,

Sorry, but this'll be another quick walk-by today. Yesterday's Town Meeting Deliberative Session started at 8:30am and ended at 4:10 - and many people were glad because we got out earlier than in some past years! One of the most-discussed warrant articles proposed to disallow closing roads in town except for a few named events - aimed at preventing road closures for road races. For a variety of reasons, most people were opposed to the proposal. Our niece presented her first-ever warrant article, and it went to the ballot without any discussion. Voting is in early March.

9.1 racewalking miles in balmy 37F temps this morning. I had no sproink, so I just stayed moderately and relatively evenly paced and had a decent workout.

This morning we're in full party-prep mode for our afternoon get-together that starts at 1:57 and goes to 6:03. So I have to get to the clean up and set up, and get out lots 'o wine glasses.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin' all

on the cell at SB after the am bridge run.  14 in cool temperatures and a sunrise that had all of us out there united in shared appreciation and joy.  We were all pointing it out to each other, smiling and waving.

Have greta Sundays!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Allergies hit me so bad yesterday it was like getting a bad cold. Some kind of cedar thing in the air.  I'm not running today as I don't want to go out and suck in any more of it.

Made Asian chicken noodle soup for dinner last night with a ton of ginger and two serrano chilies.  That got to me pretty good. Tonight is green chili stew with pork shoulder in it. Made it last night.

Hey, who are these cool people?

Spareribs

I recognize Pre Dawn Runner but I'm not sure about the gentleman on your left. And would you be so kind as to share the recipe for your Asian chicken noodle soup?

Enjoy the sunshine Aamos - seems like it's been days since we've had any here, though the temperature was spectacular when I took off at 7:00 this morning. 34° and no wind, but rain is in the forecast for the rest of the day.

I was so sad to read that they found that runner but he didn't survive. Any news on what they think might have happened?

Good morning Jay! Got an extra wine glass for an unexpected guest?

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!

King of PhotoShop

Here is the recipe.  You can use frozen potstickers, or lo mein noodles, anything really.

Chicken Noodle Soup with ginger, lemon and cilantro

• 1 lemon
            • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
            • 1-2 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger (I use 2, about half the size of your thumb
            • 2 serrano chiles, cut crosswise into thin discs
            • 8 cups homemade or canned low-salt chicken broth
            • 8 oz. fresh Chinese egg noodles (look in the produce section of your supermarket)
            • 3 Tbs. fish sauce (preferably Thai Kitchen brand); more to taste
            • 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast half, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (this is easier if the chicken is partially frozen)

Finely grate all the zest from the lemon and put in a small dish. Add the ginger, and mix together. Cut the zested lemon in half and squeeze it to obtain 3 Tbs. of juice.

Thinly slice two of the chile halves crosswise.

In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the lemon juice, noodles, fish sauce, and the 2 sliced chilis to the boiling stock. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer the soup until the noodles are almost cooked, about 3 min.

Stir in the chicken and return to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat, making sure the chicken slices are just cooked through. Taste and add a touch more fish sauce, if you like. Divide the soup evenly among four serving bowls, add cilantro, stir, and serve.

Now as to that bearded gentleman, since he is so well known, I'll let someone else identify him. Six years ago or so I was in Washington, D.C and I arranged to meet Lou and Harriet, along with Liz in DC (remember her?).  And the guy in the pic flew in from out of state to attend a conference.  Lucky for all of us to get together.  Spareribs

Sad about the runner who died.  mari, sorry to hear about your fall on the black ice.  I'm glad it wasn't too serious.  Mike, you made the correct choice to enjoy the time with your grandkids.  Jay, that long meeting doesn't sounds like the way I would want to spend a day.  ribs, in the picture, I immediately identified PDR (and you of course).  The bearded guy looks familiar.  Is there any chance it is mcsolar?

Nice long runs for RCG, wild, enke, and Aamos.

This morning, it was in the mid to high 30s and there was a light wind.  I got in 3 miles at an 11:59 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

Tselbs nails it. It's MC Solar.    Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

Ribs--I remember when you ran into Tribee at a bar one time....you seem to spend a lot of time in bars...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

four sunny miles to this morning to buy butter and back.
                    39-degrees.

ps - I haven’t been in a bar since 1954 when 11-yo me went into the Top Hat selling newspapers and vowed never to again when I almost got wacked too by a gal breaking her umbrella while whapping a guy on the head but I’d sure go back into one if I could meet tribee too. Hope she’ll be back to long distance swimming and Ironmans this year.
                    pps - Todd Ragsdale RIP (46): it’s not too many elites who can win the Crater Lake Marathon and other marathons and dress as Bigfoot to boot plus wearin' the lightweight aquasocks I used to like for trail running before I got enamored with the even more lightweight thongs. Did you ever see/know him tammy?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

on the cell at SB after the am bridge run.  14 in cool temperatures and a sunrise that had all of us out there united in shared appreciation and joy.  We were all pointing it out to each other, smiling and waving.

Amy - I'm just curious about what you consider "cool temperatures.".....

Mariposai - ouch!  I hope you are feeling better after your fall.

50 degrees when I got out this morning!  I didn't account for the wind, though, and my hands were pretty cold for the first hour or so, but then I turned back the other direction and it was lovely.  Except for the fact that my leg are still feeling out of shape for long distance and I took a lot of walk breaks near the end. But still, I was just happy to be out there in shorts in January.

Today is DS's birthday, 19 years old.  I can hardly believe the big strapping bearded young man started out in this world as the tiny, 5lb, 13oz baby that was smaller than the sock monkey grandma made for him.

17 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Today is Sunday and that usually means a nice walk with the rocket scientist and King Leonidas, the dog. But I was 0.3 mile away from 30 miles for the week so, Leonidas and I ran to the park and then ran back to Ralph. And then we continued on to the Swamp. It was a nice day for a walk, in the 60's and sunny. A lot of bikers were rushing the season because they were on the cap to cap trail and the trail is not groomed. Lots of snow and ice in places. But the cyclists were just so happy!

We have a chicken roasting in the oven and I think I will try Ribs Asian chicken soup recipe with the stock later in the week.

I was sad to read about Todd Ragsdale. We just never know, do we?

It was nice to see McSolar and PDR with Ribs in a bar. I guess SpaCityRunner LIZ was taking the photo?

Tomorrow the r.s. starts his training program for Casper. I am going to train with him but I am going to run the half not the full.

Carolyn, remember? We're running on wimpy roads... not those mountain trails you are running out West!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Being good to my sciatic nerve today - stretching, foam rolling, torture on a tennis ball therapy --- chiro tomorrow, signed up for hot yoga Tuesday

Tammy - so sorry to hear about your runner friend, such a tragedy

Posai - hope you are feeling ok today after your fall, those can be scary

Holly - nice long run today

TwoCat - I sent you a FB message about the team and then popped on here and saw you mentioned the team in yesterday's thread - Yay to the Rosie team training on!!

Tsunami - tempted but think I will be trying to spend more time in Maine once the campground opens

denise

I'm so behind in life in general right now, that it's just a general shout out to everyone.

Except - Tammy, my heart broke when I read last night that they had found Todd deceased, but seeing as how there had been no sign of him for almost two days, I wasn't surprised.  My heart and prayers go out to his family and the community.  Just so sad.  But a great reminder that no matter if you're running roads or trails, always let someone know where you're going and when you expect to be back.  Anything can happen . . .

Yesterday was a testament to perseverance.  23 miles of flooded paths, mud, slipping, and sliding (well, not the whole 23 miles, but more than half) and over 2900 feet of elevation gain.  Ended up being out there 6 hrs, an hour longer than I anticipated.  It didn't help I walked all of the last 3 miles and about half of the previous 6.  I was just pooped.  Then I had to remind myself that this was my longest run since October 2013 when I DNF'd at my last try at a 50-miler.

So between my body saying, "What the . . .??" and working on figure out nutrition again - bleck!  But I got it done AND went to church in the evening and didn't fall asleep. 

Today's is a bit of housework, working on taxes, and later will start some transcription.  Weekend?  What weekend??

Enjoy ~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

What I want to know is why is Ribs photobombing a pic with those two cool people?

Yes, Tet, I knew Todd Ragsdale fairly well. Primarily through running. He was always present at races, engaged with everyone there - not just his ultra buddies - but EVERYONE. He is like a running icon her - everyone always wondering what costume he'd be wearing at the race. He met and married the love of his wife about 4 yrs ago I think and his level of love and joy for everything just went up another notch with Nancy in his life. They both radiated love.  Todd also was a barefoot runner for a number of years and I believe set some record for 102 miles barefoot.  This Saturday is the Couples Shuffle 10K relay and he and Nancy were always there, dressed in some totally cute fairy/cupid type costumes. It won't be the same without him for sure.

Went out and ran a little under 4 miles for Todd today.

eta: you are right Leslie - it's a good reminder. He was just going for a short hike/walk on trails that he knew better than just about any one of the 170 people that were searching for him. He opted not to carry his cell phone because he wasn't going to be gone long. And even though I don't know this area real well, I don't think he was all that far from where he parked his car.

this is classic Todd:

Tammy

Oh gosh!  That's just a shame -- and a mystery.

I ran/walked 4 miles to a hilltop with a glorious view.  A good Sunday!  My goal for the week was to get to 2 digits for the week's total mileage.  Baby steps, baby steps!