Masters Running

The Daily Saturday Daily, 3.25.17 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday’s phenomenal workouts:
    Tramps (EZ 6 miles, waiting for weather warm-up)
    Rochrunner (afternoon bike ride)
    Stumpy (“stupid idea” morning run)
    Holly (post-physical, slowly-fasting bloodwork, & banana 5 TM miles)
    RunnerKSA (4.2 flat FL miles with DH)
    Catwhoorg (6.5 lunchtime miles, plus 7.5 evening miles)
    Spacityrunner (2.1 windy, pre-storm neighborhood miles with hillage)
    Deeze (intense body pump class, 2 pain-free TM miles, PT exercises, and core work)
    Tet (5 miles in a light drizzle to end the dry streak)
    BerrhaSlayer (1 EZ TM mile)
    Mike (8 miles)

Sorry Tramps/Trumps - I started yesterday's post in TextEdit, and it 'corrects' my spelling whether I want it to or not! I catch most of its errant corrections, but I missed that one. Have a good weekend cheerleading and sherpa-ing for TriBee, and good luck and good racing to her.

Great cartoon, Dave.

Hi Rochrunner. It’s always good to remember the lessons from Husband 101. Yeah - the weather is wacky all awound. Good luck in your kick-off 5K!

Have a great time at Maple Weekend, Stumpy. I’ve read that this is an off year, syrup-wise, but it should still be a good time regardless.

Enke, it only matters that your interviewing paid off, which it has. Good for you for being persistent. Have a great time with your dad.

Hi dg! Good luck to your friend in her 1st marathon on Sunday. Nice that you got to run with someone just back from the Antarctica Marathon - they must have some cool stories.

Don’t tell Twocat that you ran in the rain on Thursday night, Tammy!

Tough sick-day policy, Catwhoorg. But I’ll bet it speeds up the healing process, as it seemed to do yesterday. Congrats on logging 10,000 miles since 2010.

I’m sorry that Justin in back in the hospital, Deeze. But perhaps it being a voluntary admission means that he knows he needs and wants the help.

Sorry about the bum ankle, Twocat. But you made the right call. So did Evanflein.

I’m glad you’re not giving up, Mike - didn’t think you would - that’s not your style.

I slept in till 4:20 this morning, then headed out in a mizzle (more than a mist, not quite a drizzle - no TC rule infraction) and 35° temps. I dipped into 2 other towns and covered 9.4 RW miles. I've got conservation commish site walks this morning, and then we are taking a neighbor to the final winter farmer's market for this year. I want to stop on the way back to get a Dutch oven (we don't have one) because I found a recipe for a mustard and Cognac beef stew that we want to make tomorrow. 

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay.....

Nice to hear from dg//..........Just Go Easy,

we want you posting This Time NEXT Year.....

==============

storms moving in for the week

40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris, paw

..........good running to the rest of ya...

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

9.2 miles (more than the planned 8) in flat Florida.  I stashed water on the course, which helped.  Beautiful 65 degree morning with a breeze. Glad that's done.  Now I can plant my toes in the water, ass in the sand.....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

Just posting to say hello!  A series of crises have kept me occupied with GD2 and changed plans & running schedule.

drove down Commonwealth this am to many gaggles of runners training for Boston and the police stopping traffic for them

have a great w/e and good luck to racers!

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

I finally figured out what my strange black and white bird was - a tufted duck - which apparently is seen a lot on Lake Erie, so maybe it wandered down from there.

7.1 miles for me today in a windy 58-61 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I ran the Care for Your Colon 5k this morning:

Garmin: 3.12 miles

Time: 28:05 - 8:49, 9:12, 9:05, 0:58

Age Group: 1/8

Overall: 19/162

I rushed off to meet some guys for coffee so I didn't know about the age group win until later. I have to say I am shocked.  Seems way to slow for an AG win and I would have guessed there were a lot more than 18 people in front of me.  I let 2 people pass me in the last tenth of a mile.  (I run as hard as I can the whole race so there isn't anything left for death defying sprints to the finish.)

I'd like to lose some weight, get consistent in training, and lower my pace to at least 8:00/mile in the 5k.

evanflein

Nice job, Dave! Hey, anytime you can pull off an AG win is awesome.

Holly, cute "hairdo" on those ducks! Nice to know what they are.

Nice to see Dg posting and yes, come back and say hi more often!

Glad to see Paul started up the Intrepid Racing thread. I miss Ilene, too. But, moving on... I entered all my known races, without committing to Steamtown yet. I know that race tends to sell out but I'm hesitant to commit to something so far away, both on the calendar and the continent.

I always feel fat, fluffy and lazy after a rest day. But, today is supposed to get warmer and the sunshine the last 10 days or so has been beautiful (it's just been such a cold March!) and today is no different. Well, other than the temps getting up into the low 20's possibly. I will run today, just haven't decided where or how far.

Marj, Boston trainers! How fun that must be to be in the thick of that!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Even though I don't run much on the weekends unless there's

a race or something, what's a guy supposed to do when

the sun briefly breaks through the rain showers again

- 5 miles, of course.

gaggles of runners training for Boston and the police stopping traffic for them

nice.

that'd only happen around here

on overtime duty for a race. if then.

glad you're still running dg.

I remember what you told me

about not running when

I was getting so inclined.

good luck to your friend.

holly - big rafts of hundreds of American coots

jay helped me figure out on the lake

-getting ready for something.

Image result for images of rafts of american coots

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I love this forum. I always learn new words. "mizzle".

Made me smile.

Congratulations Dave on your awesome finish.

Today I ran an EZ 4 with a friend. I have Grosse Iles hm tomorrow that I am gearing up for. Unfortunately it will not be a PR so I will not be able to bang the gong.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

I had a nice bike ride yesterday afternoon when it got up to about 70F. So this morning for my 5K, naturally it had reverted to 40F and a steady, cold rain. I waited near the starting line in my car, and at 20 minutes to the start decided that if it didn't let up in the next 10 minutes I would bail. Well, at 10 minutes to go it did let up quite a bit, so I went for it.

Naturally again, right before the gun the rain picked up, but since I had been seen by a number of people I knew it was too late to quit . I really felt good and got up to pace quickly, and as soon as I started generating some body heat the rain didn't chill me as much as it could have. Then just after the first mile, it pretty much quit again. The race was all through a residential area, so on quiet, flat streets with a number of 90-degree turns. I finished in 26:57 (8:42 pace), which turned out to be exactly my time in the New Year's Day 5K right to the second! However, this race is a popular season-opener for the area and always gets a heavy turnout of good runners, so it was only good for 3rd in the 70-74 AG. Still, I'll take it on a day like this!

I always enjoy seeing a number of local running "characters" that show up at all the big events. One of the best known around here is a guy who styles himself "Captain America" (actually enters by the name "America, Captain"). He runs in full stars-and-stripes outfits (often skimpy) and even has a car and van that he must have paid big bucks to have painted the same way! But at least he can get away with it since he is a very fast runner. Anyone else have an assortment of oddballs that they see all the time?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

coastwalker close call on the rule there. You are pushing your luck.

rochrunner you are way over the rule line there with that race! Unless it was a target race or a relay. Then the rule is suspended. But not otherwise. "No running in the rain!"©

I got on the elliptical this morning and slid back and forth for an hour. Tomorrow is a local 4 mile race that I entered a couple of weeks ago and I am planning to run it. Originally the race was supposed to take place last Sunday. But there was word about 1 or 2 inches of snow would arrive the night before so they postponed the race to tomorrow. Dumb. An inch or two of snow the night before and you postpone a race that starts at 11am!?  Well, the snow never appeared. The sun was out. The roads were clear. Perfect day for the race. That was then. Tomorrow it is supposed to be cool, damp and cloudy with a chance of drizzle. Just terrific.  If it is not raining, see rule above, I will show up and see how things go.

In other, much more fun news, my DW and I are officially registered for the Cork City Marathon that takes place on June 4. I have to be in Dublin on business the Monday and Tuesday before the race so the timing worked out great. My first international race, if I can just stay healthy!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Rochrunner, good job on 3rd in your age group!  About characters in local races, we have a Vietnam veteran that runs the 10K with a big flag. My goal is to get and stay ahead of him. I even have a picture from 2006! That is me in the blue shorts running with my son.

Dave, 1st place in AG, woo hoo! Those are good goals.

It's been a dreary day here today 37°, cloudy and 13mph winds.  I spent this morning practicing and playing piano at a memorial service at church. I finally got home and out the door for my run. I am glad we didn't the rain that was forecast but there was a slight mist. 8 miles was the plan and I did it with only one short walk break. My foot hurt right off the bat but got better after the fist mile.  I did an out and back on the trail so had the wind with me, then against me. I prefer with.

I need to get to the store so will catch up on the dailies this evening. I've had not time this week with music to practice.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Good job, Dave!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dg.

thanks for the warm welcomes   :  Wink

hey hi Mike!   yes don't give up... I only have a glimmer of what's going on (but I won't I will Not go back to look....)  (maybe...) but you have so much to offer, something good has to happen.

thanks Holly... I'll try.   it's hard, I want to respond to everything, and then get log jammed, and then.....

... TW you made me laugh.    is there a walk/run posting plan?    :  D

just a little over 7 miles this morning, kinda hilly, in Jay's mizzle...     though I was expecting Doug's steady cold rain.   do we get credit for willingness?       7 is about my upper limit for now.    I keep plugging along, then something happens, then I start over.   But that's ok!   grateful to have the option!!!   and have goals but ain't a sayin anything about them right now.

Jay I'll pass on your good wishes... that's nice of you.   I think she's a little unsure about the whole thing, & we're supposed to have Doug's cold steady rain again tomorrow, perhaps with thunder.   I'm hoping for the best.

great job Dave, & Doug,  when I grow up I want to be like you guys.      more or less.  

good luck Berthaslayer,,,, I love your 'name'  ; ).      looks like you're another local....

healing heel hugs to Erika...

more (see, nothing much has changed ; ) )   but I have to cook dinner.

have a great evening everybody

Hi dg.!!!

Congrats Dave!  Doesn't matter the speed, just the placement!  Did you go back to get a ribbon?

I did 3 slow miles with too many walk breaks to rest my knee tendons.  Really probably didn't need to walk so much, but I think that is better than running until they ache badly.

Off to a party tonight, beer, wine, and the best homemade pizza I have ever had.  Guess I really should have run more than 3 miles in preparation!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."