Masters Running

Wednesday, 2.22.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s eggcellent workouts:
    Jlynne (1 hour on the elliptical + 20 min of weights & core at the Y)
    Dave (passed by the gym)
    Tramps (2 loops by the river with 4 faster miles for a total of 11, followed by knee icing)
    Holly (6.2 TM miles)
    TomWhite (40 min. pool running, nb, cf, his, paw)
    Twocat (8 Garminless miles, more or less)
    Evanflein (31 min. pool running, lttatm)
    StarrRuns (5PM run/walk with 68F temps in Sioux Falls, SD)
    BerthaSlayer (8 mile, 9 Little Berthas - Bertha kicked butt)

So, those of you who are counting days till you retire - do you know what you are going to do when that day comes? If not, figure out what you want to/like to do and start practicing. You don’t want to have the day come and say, “OK, now what do I do?” It is surprising how big (and dangerous) a void not working can leave in people's lives if they have nothing else to do. You could be like me and do lots of volunteer stuff, which is just the same as working, without the hassle of having to deal with paychecks.

Jlynne - Yes, Jerry really played for BS&T. I'm not positive, but I believe he developed some kind of symptoms that would only get worse if he kept on playing, so he stopped and found something else that intrigued him, and that he was/is good at. I have session #2 with Jerry today, and am looking forward to it (or to the relief I hope to get from it).

So Dave, a ham and cheese sandwich made your brain start working again? Interesting...maybe it is a nutrition issue. I wonder if a h&c sandwich would kick my brain into gear?

Stumpy - gorgeous camp photos. It must have been a blast to walk across the water to get there!

I woke up at the usual time this morning and really debated whether I should go out or stay and get some more sleep, which I felt I needed. As the debate progressed, I became more and more awake, so I got up, dressed, and went out for 4.6 miles in 38F temps. There was a surprise light drizzle, but it stopped after the first mile or so, so no biggie. How do I know if I won or last the debate? Or did I do both?

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Yesterday, on the way home from the office, I did not stop for ice cream. I went to the gym for ARC & weights.

This morning was a toss-up. It was raining, but very light. So I went to the park for a run. Because of the rain and the fact that I left without my Garmin, I ran a known 3-mile route.

I go over railroad tracks at the start and end of my park runs, Today as I was finishing up, a train was approaching so I stood on the bridge to watch it go under me.  It wasn't going too fast but the wind was still pretty cool. It was an empty coal train headed south to the mines to fill up.

Good morning Jay, Dave and those yet to post. Good luck with your PT appointment with Jerry today Jay, and even if you won/lost the debate with yourself, don't you just feel better getting out there this morning? I was looking at my album cover last night. Jerry played the trombone, right? Tell him "God Bless the Child" and "And When I Die" are two of my favorites.

Nice run in the rain this morning Dave. You were very brave to not stop for ice cream last night!

A little over 5 miles for me this morning in 48° temps at 5:00 AM. I actually ran in capris and just a light jacket. Unbelievable for this time of the year. And the wildlife is on the move too. Almost got trampled by 5 big deer as they crossed the trail into the woods. That sure woke me up!

I am truly looking forward to retiring. I have plans to volunteer more and help my DS and DIL with the boys on a more regular basis. During the summer when the two older ones aren't in school, their day care bill is unbelievable. If I can help by having them come to my house one or two days a week, that would be nice. If they don't run me ragged

It's supposed to get up to 60° today. One last day of spring-like weather before things get back to normal at the end of the week. DH is leaving Friday for a week of golf with some friends. I told him the snow blower better be in good working order!

Have a great day everyone.

catwhoorg

Labrat

After fighting off a respiratory infection for a few days I am looking forwards to lacing up for a run later today.

Nothing too intense just a few miles to loosen up and break myself back into it.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

mrrun

Nice early morning activities for Jay, Jlynne and Dave

will bike later after inside stuff and putting air in tires. need another day of no running

jay's right on about retirement activities - have some definite plans, altho I got totally side tracked with other interests and am just getting started on my "todo list"

different careers - about 6 years ago I had a massage by Jacqueline Gareau in Canada - at that time she was cross country skiing only (granted there was several feet of snow out the door).  The last couple of years she was at Boston and Beach to Beacon, but I'm not sure how much running she's doing.

we have sunshine - hope the left coast does also!

marj

Jay, I've been retired for 9 years now and sometimes wouldn't mind having a "void" in my schedule. With this active of a group here on RA, I don't think that'll be a problem for most of you.

My DW is reading a book entitled "Modern Death" about various end-of-life issues. While going through the history of resuscitation methods, we had to laugh out loud at one accepted practice from the 18th century, where it was said you could resuscitate a drowned person by "the insufflation of tobacco smoke into the person's rectum." Wow -- gives a literal meaning to the expression "blowing smoke up your a$$!" They actually had equipment for "tobacco enemas" at rescue stations along the Thames, just as we would have defibrillators.

I know I've been going on about our local weather, but we really did break a record the other day that was from the 1880s! I just hope we don't have a repeat of a few years ago when an early warm spell caused trees to start budding and ended up decimating the state's cherry and apple crops. In an attempt to not overdress once again, I really did do my first-ever run in shorts in February this morning! I also wore a mid-weight long-sleeve shirt with no other layers, and once again I was overdressed when I got back from a greta four-mile run on the raiil-trail.

I might take a bike out this afternoon and have my usual group run coming up tomorrow (another chance to dress right!). I hope that most of you are also enjoying great running conditions (I suspect that at least jlynne, BerthaSlayer and Holly are getting this also).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Well, no run for me this morning as we had a VERY interesting evening into morning last night.  About 9:30 or so DW started feeling uncomfortable in the lower abdomen, and after an hour told me to call the doctor's office and see what they said.  When she talked with the nurse on duty, the nurse said I hear a lot of stress in your voice--go to the ER now.  So off we went and by midnight they confirmed that she had a nice 2.5mm kidney stone on its way out.  Pain meds in the meantime were greatly appreciated.  By the time all the other tests came back and the paperwork completed, we turned out the lights about 3am.  Needless to say, I turned off my 5:30 alarm and we both got up around 9.  So now she's back on the leftover oxy from the last knee and feeling almost comfortable.  Even insisted on going to her PT appointmnet so she wouldn't loose any of the flexibility in her new(est) knee.

Jlynne--you may be looking to go back to visit your lunch kids after a few weeks of GKs.

Roch--wonder what you did with all your time when you were working?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Roch - 

Keven - that sounds scary - glad your DW is better now.

Catwhoorg - those respiratory bugs and really knock you down.

So, last night's 6-course dinner with wine pairings at our local super-Kroger turned out to be a surprise birthday party for me.  DH arranged it all, inviting 10-12 close friends and my SD/SM, and I didn't have a clue about any of it.  It was truly a blast though - we feasted and sampled wine and danced and who knew it was actually a grocery store behind those curtains?  Since my birthday is not actually for 2 more weeks, I will continue the Birthday Month trend...

3.1 miles for me on the TM this morning.

Okay, back to work now - going out of town at the end of the month is kind of frantic-making for me work-wise.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Holly--what a wonderful surprise. Good for you.

Stumpy--that cabin's so cool.  I googled it.  Is this Loon Island in Fryeburg?  (Last night, though; not cool.)

Lori--okay, I have to ask because I missed your arrival.  Is "Bertha" a name for a hill?  Something else?

Jlynne--5 of them! I believe they always have the right of way.

catwhoorg--glad you're feeling a little better.

Marj--ha!  I had to google Jacqueline Gareau but, of course, I know Rosie Ruiz. Something definitely wrong with that.

Doug--that sounds like an interesting book.

I find it very sad that many folks dread their job. It's such a big part of our lives. A common reality, I know, but still sad. Hang in there.

7-miler at lunch.  I usually pull out running clothes the night before so I can just get dressed and go.  I had shorts and a long sleeve shirt ready for today but it was raining this morning so I put off my run until lunch...when it was much warmer and a long-sleeve shirt was w-a-y too much.  After a few miles, I ended up peeling it off and having my first shirtless run of the year...in February.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Stumpy--that cabin's so cool.  I googled it.  Is this Loon Island in Fryeburg?  (Last night, though; not cool.)

Right state, wrong island.  We're on Little SEbago Lake.

Oh yeah, of course I logged the .33 mile round trip

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

Since my birthday is not actually for 2 more weeks, I will continue the Birthday Month trend...

I'm jealous!

Tramps - not going to say I did that on porpoise!

stumpy - glad your DW is ok - that's scary!

10 miles of biking for first ride of the year

Tramps, I couldn't quite have gone shirtless this morning, but it was close.

Well, I did get out for a short bike ride this afternoon, but it had clouded over and the temperature dropped a bit. Definitely a chilly ride, but again probably my first ever bike ride in shorts in February.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

catwhoorg

Labrat

4.5 to shake the legs out after my sickness.

Felt pretty good

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Stumpy, your poor wife!

Holly, wow, what a nice surprise.  You definitely deserve it!

I announced to the kids that I was going out for a run (they are off school this week) and asked if they wanted to come along, fully expecting two resounding "no"s.  Well, I was shocked when my son said yes.  So we did a 3 mile walk/jog.  So fun to run with my kid.  His legs are so long now!  I think he is 6'2", and extremely lanky.  He was power walking with his long stride almost as fast as I was jogging.  Then when I got home, my DD said she was going to walk down to the grocery store, just over a mile away, down a big hill.  So I went with her with my knapsack and we filled it with some groceries, making the walk back up the hill a decent little workout.  We got hailed on on the trip there - weird weather.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm jealous!

Tramps - not going to say I did that on porpoise!

me too.

Maybe only ribs-era ancients still recall her,

especially every time that other woman's

name is mentioned,.  I'm not a fan of paying

money for a massage when a couple of days

rest usually does the same, but that's fantastic.

DW wasn't very enamored with the new doc anyway

but after no-one noticed the part on the new patient

form about being 73-yo and pg, we decided

to go back across town to the new clinic

where her regular doc had moved and,

voila, another doc there is a runner,

cyclist and skier so I signed

up for an appointment

right away and got

the next available

one, . . . in June!,

Hope I last.

yippee.

I love retirement, especially since I can keep doing

the work I always loved in those days too but

now don't have anyone telling me what

to do and I can show up at my little office

whenever I want, or not if I want,

even if it takes an hour-and-a-half walk.

I'd love to join Tom's poetry club but only

to recite and listen to 'em not write 'em.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)