Masters Running

Thursdaily, 11.21.19 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry, no time for a recap today. However:

Good luck with the surgery, Holly - sounds like the right call.

I hope your DH does better with today's treatment , Wildchild.

I slept OK last night, but twice had weird dreams that woke me up. I wonder what I was trying to work through? I finally woke at the usual time, and debated whether to sleep in or not. I chose 'not' and got dressed and headed out. My 3rd step on the deck was a slide 'cause it was 32°, it had rained yesterday, and clearly not everything had dried overnight. After about 100 yards on the roads, it became very clear that there was black ice out there that I couldn't see and definitely did not want to try to deal with while attempting a neighborhood circuit. So I went back home and read for a while and replied to a few emails before heading to the shower and starting the rest of my day. So it goes.

Have a greta Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  I'm glad you got the right doctor, Holly.  Surgery is never easy, but it seems like the definite thing for you.

3 miles this morning which, for some reason, didn't upload to RA.  Hopefully they will show up.  They made it to Strava.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

Good call, Jay.   Very good call.    Even better call last night for you last night on fine dining at Che Waffle House, Karen.

Stumpy, I interned at Kodak Park in Rochester a long time ago, spending a very influential summer in their research labs (Building 93, if I remember correctly).   Film, film, film.   Worked on a project to digitize sound onto Super 8mm home movie film using LEDs.   Kind of amazing technology to be working on in 1974, long before Al Gore invented the Internet.   Can totally identify with what you found in your FIL's house.   Whaddaya do with all those color slides??   Yep...just what you did.    My kids will do the same when they encounter my boxes of race medals. 

Wildchild, so you get started.   Wow.   Hope DH is feeling better today.

Holly, gotta say, the surgery sounds wise...glad you got some counsel that made sense to you.

Thanksgiving lunch here at work today.   Have all 200 of us eat together...company brings the turkey, dressing, potatoes, gravy, everyone else just pitches in and it's a blast.   Company leaders do the serving.   One of my favorite days of the year at work and it doesn't even involve tacos.   (Although one of our folks of Mexican descent brought in perfect, home-made tamales...I can't wait).

Rock your day.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

anneb

Morning all--

Holly - sounds like surgery is the right call. Get that done ASAP (or at least this year).

Wildchild - fingers crossed for no reaction today. Keeping you and your H in my thoughts.

This morning it was 45 but pouring rain and high winds (as predicted). I was NOT going out in that. 3.5 miles total on the treadmill, including a mile of power walk/hiking (high incline). The incline stuff will probably be my cross training this winter - it's actually a good workout! (as good as you want it to be anyways, like anything)

TGIT

Anne

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, all!  My back is much better today, though still not thrilled with the commute.  I'll do my directing test at chorus tonight ... at least I'll do my part of it.  I'm hopeful that it will get graded some time before Christmas.  It's kind of a low-key program, pun not intended ...

Was able to do weights this morning, no biking due to chorus.  I was pretty careful about the weights, and I don't think I messed anything up further.

I think on the whole, we could use a group hug, with everyone's losses and injuries and worries and life.  So, here goes!

(((Masters)))

Hope it lightens y'all's day, just a little ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

TammyinGP

Wildchild - so sorry to read of your DH's cancer.  Hoping his body receives that treatment well and he beats this. It's amazing what the advances in medicine, and cancer treatment specifically, are able to do these days.

Ran 4 last night with a friend. Tonight I'll probably hit the track to run some circles.

Tammy

dnaff

I agree with the group hug Hopesmom.   Glad you are feeling well enough for some strength work.  still can't believe cat/cow would tweak your back.

Wildchild, hoping for good things for your husband today.

Holly, glad to hear you found good doctors you trust.

My Michigan kids will be here this afternoon for an early Thanksgiving.  Tomorrow they pick up their new puppy and the real fun begins.  Siberians have a high prey drive, though mine seems not to so much.  She only ever played gently with Pierre.  But he was here first.  I'm a little uneasy with the kids bringing Iggy into the house.  Not at all sure how Misha will react.  I have kennels set up in separate rooms and a baby gate between them.  Best I can do for now.  And I'm so excited to meet Iggy Pup.  He's a Shiba Inu and I know nothing about the breed.

I have my shift at the food pantry today, and then some yoga, and then 3 uninterrupted days of family time.  I'm so happy!

Carolyn- that's great that you had a PR at Monkey!  All that altitude training. I hope the treatment is tolerated and successful!

Our Thanksgiving meal at work is tomorrow.  We have over 1000 of us in this building (2 buildings connected, actually) and it is fully catered. We bring canned goods to donate to an organization/charity.    It's a good meal, but a lot of people....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

{{{Participating in Group Hug}}}  We definitely need it.

Holly - I'm glad you found docs who listened and are giving you good advice.  The fact 2 of them spent time with you explaining things is wonderful.  My Suggestion: Start practicing using your non-dominant hand for things . . . like bathroom duty . . . . And re the bundt cake - I think it'd be fine in a loaf pan.  Depending on the size of the pan, you may need to use two.  The batter filled just about 1/2 the bundt pan, and then the cake rose up slightly higher than the edge.

Joe - The lunch sounds like a ton of fun.

Good luck with the puppy, dnaff.

Nothing for me yet, although I brought my stuff to maybe go to the gym after work.  I need to pull together a schedule to follow, otherwise I feel like I'm just flailing.  I have phone appt with my ortho on Tuesday. A schedule may become a moot point for awhile. 

Okay - Lots to do and little time to do it in.  Rock your Thursday, Friends ~~

Image result for rock your thursday meme

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

Jay--yuck to black ice, no matter how you're trying to travel.

Holly--tough decision to make but I hope the surgery helps.

Stumpy--no thought of digitizing the images for family posterity? Seems a shame to lose all that history.

Wildchild--tough start. Hope it improves today. Remember to take care of yourself through this, too.

Joe--enjoy your lunch; sounds nice.

HopesMom--glad the yoga strain wasn't serious.

dnaff--"Iggy Pup" Love it!  Our dogs were Koko [and our cat was Taylor] and Billie [Holiday].

Tramps - Your knee must not be as cranky with running as it used to be (?).  That's excellent news.

Through trial and error, I've figured out what I can and can't do. No speedwork, period. Running only on alternate days. Nothing beyond 5 miles or so. If I stay within those parameters, I seem to be okay. Stray too far and I immediately hear about it.

A friend and colleague from my department got to attend the National Book Awards ceremony last night as one of five finalists in the non-fiction category. She didn't win but what an honor to be chosen as a finalist! So proud of her.

40F this morning by the time we headed out, just warm enough to ride in shorts. Not quite 20 miles.

ETA: still some pretty trees out there.

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild good luck to your DH. I hope all goes as well as possible.

tetsujin209 I do practice with my marathon fueling strategy on long runs. Although I cut back on the ShotBlocks. I am ingesting fewer calories than you might think. Each ShotBlock is 33 calories. That means I am taking in 100 calories every 4 miles or about every 36 minutes or so. Studies show that fueling slowly works better than in chunks. The ShotBlocks make it easier to do that. Recent work also puts the body's hourly processing of calories at somewhere 150 and 200. My goal is to use as many outside the body calories during the race as possible and rely on internal stores as little as possible. That is how I ended up with my ShotBlock strategy. The extra electrolyte tablet is just because my body needs salt in way higher doses than the vast majority of the population.

Falconfixer and Surly Bill wow 70! I am so jealous!

Holly S. good luck with the surgery. I hope it gets everything back where it belongs and working like it should.

stumpy77 your experience tossing out stuff is why I am trying to pair down my stuff. If I am not going to look at it or use it, who the heck will? Just get rid of it now before it needs getting rid of later.

coastwalker yet another reason I hate winter: black ice.

RunnerKSA as long as your Garmin recorded it, the run actually happened. 

Joe618 sounds like you had a good time at the lunch and that the food was good. My DW was at an off site yesterday and the first thing she did when she got home was complain how bad the food was. To think, my DW's firm no doubt paid way more for the bad food than your firm did for good stuff.

anneb good call, not violating Rule #1.

HopesMom back problems are just awful! All day a back will let you know how unhappy it is.

TammyinGP an indoor track versus a TM? Hmm, sort of getting to pick between poisons. Well, happy as possible running.

dnaff could be worse. My SIL has 5 jack russells.

fatozzig I know the feeling. These days my "coach" is actually my physical therapist.

Tramps yes, quite an honor.

I ran 5 this morning. Then into the office. My flights to Hong Kong and back are booked. I got the university's permission to buy the travel cancellation insurance. The policy is that they typically will not reimburse you for the insurance if you buy it. But given the situation there, they decided that perhaps this time it was a good idea. The insurance also comes with all sorts of medical help, all of which I hope to not need. The good news is that the people I know in Hong Kong all tell me it is not at all like what you see on the television. If you stay away from the protest areas (which they say are rather confined) then you would not know there was much unusual happening. Boy, I hope so!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

outdoor track, TwoKitty. the HS track is where I go. I like it because sometimes the lights are on, but if not, there is enough nearby street lighting to keep it semi-lit up.

on another note, we've had such a mild, dry and nice fall, but figures that the day David is driving home from school and going over a mountain pass is the day we have heavier rains and maybe snow predicted - next Tuesday. The pass he has to go over only is about 2000 ft, compared to our other pass to the south of us that is over 4000ft so I'm hoping snow levels stay above 2000 ft. It'll be nice to have him home for a 5 day wknd.  My parents are having Thanksgiving day at their house, so all I have to bring is desserts. thinking perhaps a pumpkin/caramel pie and an apple/cranberry pie.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

(((Masters)))
                            Tramps - hugh honor book award.
                            . . . Neat dog names, . . . I guess.
                            One of my friend’s named his dog “Spot”
                            so he could say, “Out, damned Spot! out, I say!”

dnaff - neat key pun, . . . I guess.
                            Even with good headlamp in the morning darkness, thick fog reduced Hillside visibility to almost nil as I inched my way around 2.7 miles of trail work with climbs of each of the 21 stairways built into the hillside in 1981, thereby adding my own 864 more steps today to the millions accumulated in the last 38 years. Sunny afternoon’d be good for cycling but finally got an acupuncture appointment at noon and then annual fish expo with all kinds of samples I like.  Hmmmmmmm.

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

BTY

Good afternoon Runners!  Heading out for a 30-minute walk shortly, maybe rile up some of my feathered brethren along the Hudson River.

Jay, we had sneak attack black ice here today.  It wasn't from yesterday's rain, it was from fog that was only in certain places, like along the rivers.   Just wet enough on the surface to get slick on the roads and we had lots of accidents in the Albany area. 

This morning I swam 1.4 miles: 1300 yards of backstroke and 1200 yards of crawl.  I did it by pyramid, alternating 100 back / 200 crawl / 300 back up to 500 yards and then back down again.  The 400 crawl / 500 back / 400 crawl segments taken together are a real bear.  About 25:00 of swimming that seems more like an hour.  But coming back down the pyramid for the 200 crawl and 100 backstroke feels pretty easy and I try to finish with a flourish.    Today that meant a cramp in my left foot for the last 25 yards, but I had a time to beat, at the end, and didn't want to give in to it.   Managed to get the 2,500 yards in, in just under 49:00, thanks to biting the bullet.

Have a greta day, Runners!

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Participating in Group Hug}}}  We definitely need it.

+1

And Leslie, good idea about trying out the non-dominant hand more.  And yes, bathroom duty is weird, and have you noticed that the toilet paper roll is always on the right side of the toilet?

Jay - definitely a good call.

40 degrees here this morning, but the wind made it feel colder than I expected.  3.5 miles total.

So, I called this morning and have a tentative surgery date of 12/13, which was the only opening they had before January.  She said they will likely have more operating room times open up for later in December, and if so she can move me to closer to the Christmas break.  I am sort of anxious to get it over with, but not so thrilled about being scheduled for Friday the 13th...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."