Masters Running

Sunday, April 20 Daily....."twas the night before Boston when......" (Read 564 times)

Good morning all Thank you brb, NYRunner, Erika, and others in Boston, for sharing the fun and excitement of what is going on there in "Bahston". The number of people who are meeting each other and bumping into each other probably speaks of the friendships that are gained by this running thread. We really have a good group here, with no "drama". There is a lot or great spring running going on. Thanks for keeping us all informed. Every post that you make (and every WORD of that post) is digested by many in here each day. Please don't think that what you say goes unnoticed or is not important. We do all read it. Good luck today for those of you who are racing. Continue to enjoy Boston, but make sure you don't wear yourself out for THE RACE TOMORROW. Have a great day at your house of worship, for those who do attend. Enjoy the run that you have planned for today.
    Vista
      Thanks Vista for another great start today---wonderful! I just came back in after a 2 mile trot around the neighborhood. It's a beautiful morning here---40F, sunny and the birds are singing happily. The kiddo is still asleep after an almost 4 hour little league practice last night and Mr. CNYrunner just departed for his daily 3 mile walk. My run today was just a loosen the limbs kind of thing to calm the nerves. I slept for almost 8 hours last night and no dreams that I recall. Life is good. There's a cup of coffee by my side and I'll soon log on to the Women's Olympic Marathon Trials website and watch some amazing women run for glory. Church after that.... Enjoy the day all. If you are racing today---run with wings on your feet. Karin

Renee the dog

Alarm went off, I turned it off and remember nothing else. Surprised I've now called 7 pm for a rainy long run. Good runs/rest days to all today.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Good Luck Karin with your little jog tomorrow. Everyone else for that matter as well ... This morning's plan was for 2 hours easy, aftrer yesterday's 5K race (No PR, but a solid 22:53 good for 2nd in AG). But the legs and lungs had other plans. I ended up with 13.56 miles in exactly 2:00:00, but the last 4.5 miles ended up being at MP. (How did that happen? I thought I was running easy.) I tried to find the Women's Marathon Trials on the TV this morning but can't seem to locate it. I saw a commercial yesterday saying it would be on Versus. But Not. Guess the Internet will be my friend. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning Boomers. 4 easy miles at a 9:41 pace to take some of the kinks out of the legs after yesterday's long run. Beautiful weather here in Wisconsin this morning. 49F at 7 AM with sun and blue skies. The birds are back in full force, and we have a mother building a nest in the birdhouse next to our patio! Breger - you are a machine! Your runs have been continuously fast and steady. All of that training is really paying off. Do you follow a special diet? CNY Runner - have a great time tomorrow and good luck to all of our Boomers running Boston. How's the weather forecast looking? I'm living vicariously through all of you, so be sure to take good mental notes! Off to make a pot of coffee and look for the trials on television, but it doesn't sound like they're on. Good Sunday runs to all, Jeanne
            Dave59

I tried to find the Women's Marathon Trials on the TV this morning but can't seem to locate it. I saw a commercial yesterday saying it would be on Versus. But Not. Guess the Internet will be my friend. Bill
              I guess you already know there is live coverage at NBCsports.com

Well, I'm back after an absolutely wonderful vacation with my DW. It'll take me a while to catch up and maybe post some details, but I did manage to run several times down near Charleston, SC, and just came back from a good 4-mile run on my mostly-recovered leg. Still taking it easy at a 10+ pace, but improving. Two eye-rollers from the vacation: 1) I ran several times in SC in cool temperatures, wearing a long-sleeve shirt and gloves. Then I return to Michigan and I'm running in short sleeves and working up a sweat! 2) After a smooth trip, driving 2000+ miles with no construction slowdowns at all, I turn into my subdivision to find the street in front of our house torn up and orange barrels blocking my driveway. Shocked More later after I catch up on things...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

seemomgo

I just love hearing about all of the boomer meetings. What a great time you all will have in Boston. Wish we all could be there!! Roch- what's the story withthe orange barrels? Repaving? Nice welcome home for you huh? Nonoruns - sometimes that extra sleep is needed! breeger - you're an animal - enough said! Went for what was supposed to be 14 miles this morning. The miles were not good to me today. After 9 miles I called it quits. The foot is now on ice and I will definately be getting it looked at by the dr this week. My legs had nothing in them today. Right at mile one I knew it was going to be a rough run - but I continued on. By mile three I felt like I had run at least double that. I finally gave in to the demon that told me to go home....tomorrow is a whole new day - oh wait- I'll be watching this board to see how everyone does in Boston tomorrow! Well, Tuesday will work! Good days and runs to everyone and good luck tomorrow all of you racers!!!!
                  dg.

hi all. this enthusiasm is great, I hope it lasts. belated congrats to Paul for your A.G. win, & Wildchild for your longest run ever. Oh I hope that's right. I don't have time to look. Dave59, congrats to you for running your first race in 6 months. How are your DD & DGD? welcome back Doug. I was just getting ready to send an 'are you ok' e-mail. With a cask of brandy around my neck. You've made a lot of progress. cool. funny eye-rollers. Btb, how was your meeting with Amy? Berger, you always have me shaking my head at what you manage to do. Can't wait to hear how you do in Eugene. Callanetics last night, & this morning more of those (I can't do the whole thing at once) & yoga. Then Sadie got her first walk in our hilly neighborhood in a long time. She was, to put it mildly, enthusiastic. poor thing. If it doesn't backfire I can keep that up. It's so nice today that pulling dandelions was just about as good as it gets. which made me think of Roy. last year he said he'd help. Roy, how's your hip? I have more dandelions. I'm also enjoying tales of Boston. with occasional twinges of longing. Nancy, thinking about you today. 'morning cmom! we are synchronized. 2 cokes. I don't think that was a demon, if your foot's on ice. I hope it's ok. eta did I say twinges? hah!

King of PhotoShop

Okay, didn't I warn everybody in yesterday's post? They're doing it to me again! Get this from Evanflein last night: "Speaking of Boomer meetings, had an excellent time tonight meeting so many... WRFB (who makes excellent beer, btw), PDR, La Tortuga (who also makes excellent dark beer) and her DH, Wi Fi Tim and his wife, Perch (ok, already met him) and his DH, PBJ and Long Suffering... and the PBJ'sters, BTB (who is every bit as kind and generous in person as online), Hally Barb, rtravers (my sister in run-by-effort running), irunmike (who posts on KR), Ilene and Fast Forward (more relay buddies), and Holly and her husband Jim. What a treat." Okay, rant number one: I met the Beers in Washington, D.C. recently, and did they bring me any beer? No. They brought a camera. A CAMERA! So instead of getting any free beer, I have to look at pictures of beer and the Beers. Rant number two: Robin Travers. I LOVE Robin Travers. But do I get to see her, party around with her, drink beer with her? NO! I'll probably have to look at pictures of everybody else having a good time with her, but not me. (And she had on the '08, very sexy official Boston Marathon, royal blue, v-neck tech shirt too. Is she cool or what?) Rant number three: Never met PBJ or the family, Steve Perch, BTB, IrunMike, Ilene, or any of the spouses. And did anybody post that they are all up there saying, "Gee, I wish Spareribs were here."??? NO! I'll probably have to look at pictures and imagine what it would be like to be there. Rant number four: Tonight they will all go to Maggione's and have a wonderful dinner. My sister Suzanne and my brother in law Joe (he of the Streak, who snuck into the Jersey Shore Marathon many years ago) will be there and have a great time with the Beers and others. No doubt Lou will send me a picture of them drinking beer and having fun! I tell you there is no respect any more. Okay, rant off. Well, I'm having dinner with dg this week so there! Maybe we can get Roch to join us. Got a nice slow 7.1 in on the dirt track today, so far my longest and my foot felt fine. Don't anybody bother me or annoy me for the rest of the day. Spareribs

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Welcome back Rochrunner - you were missed!! 8 miles yesterday that felt wonderful. 5 minutes faster than my normal time for that distance too. Today my neighbor and I were out for a 14 mile long run. Perfect, perfect day for it. Just got back from a HUGE breakfast. My goal is to keep moving today rather than becoming a slug. Plus it is just too nice to stay inside. 37 mile week. Now, I'm going to start backing it down so I'm not over-trained/tired for my 25K race in 3 weeks. Happy Sunday! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

9.7 miles, first 4.1 w/DW then she turned around & I continued on for another.75 before turning. 52F with a little rain at the start but it stopped thank goodness, cause she holds me personally responsable for the weather when we run. Roll eyes She hates the rain! 2 weeks to our Flying Pig Half & all systems are go! Big grin Bill that's one awesome running weekend Smile Best wishes Boston Boomers!!! The rest of us will be thinking about you Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

wildchild

Carolyn

Spareribs, wish you were here! Wink Or I wish we were both in Boston. Just got back from a great stress-busting 5.3 miles with Tazzie and Ladybug. The dirt roads are still pretty muddy with all the melting snow, but it's 45 degrees and sunny. The divide is shining with snow and the sky is that deep, high-altitude Colorado blue. I started out feeling sluggish and stressed, but it just got better and better, and I got home feeling happy. Life is good.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Just a 5 mile progression run today...that's enough...7:30 pace avg... Spareribs,I wish you were here so we could have done a nice run together...then watch Boston on the big screen and see if we could spot some of our friends...
                              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                                Wow, past 1 pm Pacific time and still on page one. There must be something going on this weekend somewhere Wink 16 mile run, 10:52 pace. It felt much better than I expected. The first half was slow, but the second half I picked it up a little (it was also downhill, so I am a cheater!). The best part was the snowball-hail squall I ran through. Little round things pinging off my face. Stung a bit, but it was fun wathcing them bounce off my shoulders, then I tried hitting them on purpose with my hand to see how far I could ricochet them into a new direction. Kind of like ping-pong. I was surprised to see snow on top of all the houses up on the hill on my return leg. Spring?? Confused Good runs all. Anxiously awaiting for great news from Wenatchee and then Boston tomorrow.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."