Masters Running

Sunday, 1.3.16 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

The year is still young enough that I have to think before typing which year it is.

TW, can you shoot/post a video of Claire trying to Racewalk? By the way, your hips should rotate (not swivel) a bit, but they don't have to cross the 'mid-line.' I imagine that could smart a bit...

Good for you for sticking it out on the hills, Moebo. Yes, they will make you stronger. Good for you too for shooting to read more this year.

Congrats on your first AG hardware of the year, Ribs! I'm hoping there is a lot more of that coming. How was the beef stew with the frosh?

RCG, I feel guilty for not reading more, but there is too little time; I get just one magazine (Down East), and I'm about 3 months behind with that. Books are an even bigger challenge. Breakfast with the crew yesterday was good - I enjoyed a broccoli, onion and mushroom omelet (otherwise known as a Bomelet). How are steel cut oats different than otherly cut oats?

Holly, I would have thought that reading on a phone would be very annoying from either too-small type, or scrolling all the time. But I sure do like reading on my iPad Mini when I get time to read at all. Congrats on a good 16-miler!

I'm glad you took advantage of a nice day for your 5er, Pfriese.

Great shot of the GCs, Marj. And how could anyone go wrong with a glass of wine?

Nice 5K time and AG hardware for you too, Tselbes! It's also good that you took time (as you always do) to spend with friends.

Nice 8 Mike. Don't beat yourself up over your sister. Clearly, she held you in high regard, so you must have done a lot more right than wrong. You can't change anything now so, relish the memories of the good times.

Stumpy, you are very good to your DD, but I'm not surprised. I'm glad you got that nap when you got home.

I'm glad you took advantage of the great conditions for cross-country skiing, Mariposai. By the way, you don't have to be working at something all of the time, so grab a book and relax for a bit.

I'll bet we've all done that 'hot and cold' dance on some workouts, Evanflein. Sounds like a good run, even with the wardrobe adjustments.

I don't know if I'd enjoy that kind of 'cross-training' after an eat-a-thon, Tet. But it must work if everyone there does it...

Our New Year's guests left late yesterday afternoon, so now it is back to just DW and me. It was our niece's last visit before she starts college in a couple of weeks. Our cat is sleeping on the niece's bed this morning, wondering where she went. It was good having her here, and we'll miss her.

Just a scootch over 10RW miles this morning in 31F temps with a SW breeze, and under overcast, shifting skies. This was the longest I've gone since early September, and I was feeling it over the last couple of miles because I was also going perhaps a little harder than I should have. But it was satisfying to get it done.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

[[[mikeE]]].............we all do the Best We Can, and you are An Aware Person, and she knew you loved her

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike E, I loved the stories you posted about your mom, and I remember when your sister Bonnie died. You can't change the past, or your family members. Just remember them in the best way possible. The rest really doesn't matter.

Mike - what Erika and the others said - all of it was spot-on....

Mariposai - how gorgeous!

Jay - I would have thought the screen too small as well, but the Kindle app does something to help make the small type very legible - now sure how but it works.

Heading out now with DD to get our hairs trimmed.

8 Miles for me this morning in 29 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Well...today, there are no birthdays in my family...whew!

I am going through some stomach issues, right now, so I'm lying down, hoping I feel better, later.

I want to thank you all for inspiring me to read more.  I've never been one to re-read a book, but I have decided to re-read some books from my favorite author.  I think I'll start with Hop on Pop...Cat in the Hat is a little intense, so I'll wait on that one.

Okay--that's it.  See ya!

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike, I recommend The Lorax! Nice posts about your mom and sis, too.

My DD left this morning to fly Home to Seattle. It sure has been fun to spend the last 2 weeks together

I miss her already.  DH and I have 2 more days in Cancun before we fly Home.

I've been running every day, but only for about an hour so I don't interfere with family time. 5.3 miles today, out to the beach and back, early before it got too hot.

Happy trails, everyone!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Almost noon.

Comfortable temps with sunny skies

4.5 miles walk with Leon and the r.s.

Leonidas rolled in something stinky so the r.s. took a bucket of warm, soapy water and washed him up in the garage. At the time of the infraction, he told me he was going to "hose the dog off" when we got home but, then he thought the hose water would be too cold.

I was thinking "Leon is a dog. The hose would be fine."

Jay: steel cut oats are not "rolled". The oats are just cut. I don't know why "steel" cut. Maybe they were invented in Pittsburgh. (Go Browns!)

Mariposai: Your crosscountry skiing and photo are inspiring. Wish I could be there!

Tetsujin: I missed a big something. Have you relocated to Japan? And.  I wish you and your family well.

MikeE: We ran Jackson in 2014. I did the half. R.S. did the full. We met our friends here: http://www.salandmookies.com/home/

for a good meal if you are looking for a place to eat.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Dave59

Here goes nothing. Going to try to join back in the forum again. Very tough year at work with many late nights and weekends while still missing every deadline I was assigned. But I have been off since 12/23 and I can feel some cells being rejuvenated in my brain. I go back to work tomorrow and see what's up there. I don't intend on trying to get back in that old pace if I can help it.

We had a busy holiday time. My older daughter, husband, and grandkids came up from Tallahassee and stayed with us for a whole week. It sure was fun to spend time with (7-year old) Annabelle again and get to know the 1 year old Riley some more.  We'll go to Tallahassee for a week in March during Annabelle's spring break.

We also had my younder daughter visit from DeKalb, IL for a few days with her husband. She got married on 12/15 and hadn't told us until they got here. We put those 2 up in a hotel since 6 people was more than enough in our little condo.

And we had my sister-in-law, husband, 2 kids, and a dog visiting from Alexandria, VA.

So far this year I ran 4 miles on Friday, 5.6 on Saturday, (and a mile today for no particular reason.)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I wish I was with posie on the white stuff as it was always one of the many distractions from reading as many books as I would/should like to. I always thought I’d catch up on my reading if I ever broke my leg ski racing or something but it never happened.  However, I’m with MikeE on looking forward to doing some of the more memorable ones again I still remember from my youth. Should be very interesting for my brain after 60 years. Kind of scary though. 
                  Rosie - not that the Gateway photo of the running skirt had anything to do my joining up in the Boomer days but nice to see you back more and the RS closing in on his 50-states goal.  In this regard, just don’t even bother going to erika-land unless you can do the Equinox with her.  In distant second places would be any of the Southeast ones. 
                  ps - I’m just over in sushi-land on a business trip that started with an eight hour meeting on Christmas Day (plus as much preparation and fall-out on either side that day). After a New Year’s break, we start up again today.  .
                  However, I’m hoping to make it up with 42.195 km with Mikemp on 1/11 at the annual New Year’s Marathon Party of the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club, especially if his DW can come to the party part too
                  pps - I better check in case deezie is over here too.

Happy New Year my friends!!

Wildchild - thank you for doing the monthly miles thread!! I lost my 2015 year end total after Jan 1, but was able to retrieve all but 2 months with those threads!!  I went into my workout log for the other 2 months and calculated my monthly mileage that way.  Your threads made it so much easier for me - thank you thank you thank you!!

Jay - congrats on your race yesterday -- sooooo cool you are in a pic with my MVS friends!!

Ribs, Tselbs - congrats on your AG awards!!

MikeE - thank you for sharing your reflections and memories with us!!

Tet -- delicious seafood -- yummy!!

This was the first year in many that I didn't run a New Years Day race. We went to OOB, Maine with our campground friends and I joined the team doing the Lobster Dip to raise money for Special Olympics. I thought about running before the plunge, but being my first year doing this I just wasn't sure of the timing of things. Had a blast and plan on doing it again next year!!  The day raised about $115,000 for Maine SPecial Olympics!!

Yesterday ran the 1st of the Fudgcicle 5k series -- it's 8 Sat mornings and right now my goal is to run all 8 - hopefully I will stay injury free and healthy!!

Today - 2.2 miles on the treadmill, spin class, barre class --- trying to get more strength and stretching in my workouts!!

Happy Sunday all!!

oh, wildchild - I think your DD has a record of calling someplace that isn't home, "Home" so fast but Seattle can do that to you.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks Tet!!  LOL 

denise

spacityrunner

Beautiful day for 6.2 knarly trail miles.  Some of the vistas took my breath away but you really can't do much vista looking or you will be planted face down on the trail.  This almost happened a couple of times..so I quit gawking.  A couple of small rocks were kicked into my ankle but other than that...no ouchies.

Trails Rock!

Henrun

Along the Charles river on a sunny mid 30's morning for 7 miles. The new year is starting well  We're off to Miami Beach for 5 days on Thursday and some hot weather running and beach time.

My Achilles is still on the mend and that meant another day on the elliptical. To drown out my sorrows I decided to smoke a couple of pounds of salmon. Man does that stuff taste good!

Dave59 welcome back. I hear you about programming and deadlines! I am worried about missing a big one coming up. 

buehrle I have to confess that I do so much reading for my job that reading for pleasure is not often on my radar screen. Not never, but . . . Then again Mike E has a really tempting list put together there!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings, all.  REALLY looking forward to going back to work tomorrow.  I think this has been the longest I've taken vacation in (too) many years.  have a feeling I'll be travelling before the end of the week.

8 miles for me this morning for the first one of the year.  I like the early returns on my pace bunny--it says that I'm on pace to hit almost 1500 miles.  pretty sure that won't last.  Only 33° and breezy, but very pleasant.

Welocme back, Dave.  hope this year goes better.

Nice longest run in a long time, Jay.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

I love to read, but don't seem to get to do it much. I do read a lot on planes and trips. Other than that... I take a book or Kindle to bed, and fall asleep before I get very far. Then I realize the next day I don't remember what I read anyway. I sometimes read magazines in bed so there's not much investment in it (shorter length, not continuing, etc). A goal for me would be to read more books without needing to book a flight!

Cooler today, but still really nice with the sun hanging low on the horizon from dawn to dusk. Temps were around 14° and felt like it dipped to 10° at the low spot on my route. Brrr... Still, we're much warmer than we should be for this time of year so I'm taking advantage of it.

11.23 miles today, gets me to 61.3 for the week. It's been ages since I've had a week like that! But... as others have said, back to work tomorrow so that will be peak mileage for awhile. Back to being lucky to crack 40....

Mariposai

Another snow play day for us. 4 miles of snowshoeing ib gorgeous weather

Back to work tomorrow Sad(((

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard