Masters Running

Hot Summer Night 5K RR (Read 160 times)

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Crossed posted in KR

This is my first race under half marathon distance in the past 2 plus years.
    But, the entry fee (free) with a nice blue cotton t-shirt was to good to pass up. Having run 28 plus miles on Sat., 8 miles on Sun, 6 miles on Mon. and 19 miles yesterday, I was looking to set any land speed records. I was hoping for a nice tempo paced run.
    The race is put on by Morale, Welfare and Rec on Yokosuka Naval Station where I'm working for 6 weeks. Its an out and back course that starts at 7pm just after dark. They pass out those glow sticks, so it pretty cool seeing them bounce up and down as the runners move. It is a flat course but has many turns. I know it well as I've logged many miles around this base. The weather was warm, 76 degrees at the start, 90% humidity and just a slight breeze.
    Fashion statement: Black spandex shorts, white "Running ETC" singlet, white "Gotta Run" hat and my trusty NB 768's tires.
    I lined up about the 3rd row and had no problem having to dodge people or kids. There were over 100 runners and walkers plus maybe 20 pushing strollers (they had a catagory for them too) pretty cool. Anyway after the first mile I was hoping I didn't go out to fast, but I knew I did. Never looked at the time only my Heartrate. Tempo run should be in the mid 160's, I was at 180. Oh, well go with it. No one passed me after the first half mile and I passed 6 up though mile 2, then 2 more in the last 1/10.
    Mile splits: 6:30, 6:47, 7:04, last bit 6:17 pace.
    Time: 21:18 (only a minute off my PR of 2.5 yrs ago)
    I haven't been doing any speed work at all. Best surprize was I took 2nd place in the 40 and over group. The guy who got 1st just turned 40 two months ago and only beat me by 30 seconds.
    Very happy with the results..
    7.2 miles total including 2 miles warmup and 2 miles cooldown.
    thanks for reading

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Wow! Speedy run and good kick. With all the recent mileage and still having that speed, well done.
        Speedy is right especially with all those marathon miles on the legs. Nice work and age group showing too!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Maiku - san,

ohayou gozaimasu,. . .  I mean oyasumi nasai.

arigatou for a timely RR on the Wednesday evening 5K you’’re going to run tonight.

With the freebie entry and the 300 yen ($3.15) Imperial Palace Marathons, you’’re getting record good rates/mile on your Japan running too. 

Having done some of the Yokosuka/Yokota runs back in those days, I know there’’s some very, very fast runners stationed over there so closing in on runners more than a decade down is worthy of special category for your still-speedy running.

Hope you don't mind if I tell ilene about your good times over there too. 

omedetou.

- jon

ps - I have a new avatar with a fan I got for mari from a geisha in Asakusa. 

check out the Chocho Japanese Inn/Restaurant if you get over there.

pps - maybe throw in a couple of those 5K's in the next marathon around the palace?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Congrats.  Must have felt great to be passing all those folks!    Way to run.

Masters 2000 miles
              Way to go,Mike! Congratulations!   I love it that you are doing all the running in Japan.  What great time!   Thanks for the report.   Woods Lady

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow, very impressive!  And even more so considering no speedwork/short race training in so long, and in the heat.  Congratulations on your 2nd AG!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wow -- those are some fast miles especially with all the distance you've been doing!!  congrats!!

denise

Great job, rasmussenmp.  With the high number of miles you've been doing and without having done speedwork lately, you sure did well.  Congratulations.

TomS