Masters Running

no running Super Bowl Sunday (Read 41 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

It's already after 8am on the West Coast so, I guess, I'll be the first run to break the "no-running-on-Super-Bowl-Sunday" rule. Sorry. However, it won't stop me from hoping the Patriots win in convincing fashion which they should, . . . unless Coach Belichick decides to bench his better players again as happened when they lost last year to another team they should have beaten.  <<<(MalcolmButler)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

anneb

Hey! Everyone must be sleeping in today or something 😆

I was unaware of the super bowl Sunday rule and got out for a short neighborhood run. 4.2 miles, 44 and damp! Things are melting. Hope for a good game tonight - I think it’s more fun when the games not a blowout.

Anne

I don't know about any "rule", but there's no way any upper North Central runner is not going to be out there today! Jlynne, anneb, and I are all at about 42 N latitude in Great Lakes states, so similar conditions (no excuses, you two!). In any case, we here in the Detroit area don't even know what a Super Bowl is.

"I hope I live long enough to see the Lions in a Super Bowl."

"Nobody wants to live forever!"

So, Winter IRC today and I went out for a loop around the lake, the full 6 miles at an 11:00 pace that included maybe a half mile of walking in the latter half. It's in the 40s now and I might even go out for a walk this afternoon to take advantage while it lasts.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

..We Don' Need No Stinkin' Rule.......

===============

...70-degrees outside (was in the teens).....

How Can You NOT Run??

.......or whatever it is I'm doing.....

65-min HH at soccerfields 1-3s

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - what a difference a day makes!  It was 39 degrees when I set out for my run, and it's in the 50's right now - beautiful!

Digestive difficulties had me making a lot of bathroom stops, so I ended up running sort of in circles staying close to the gas station and a Subway that had facilities, and I ended up cutting my run a bit shorter than I had hoped, but oh well.

13.2 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks for the start, Tet.   I'm in the "anti-Patriots" camp, but mainly looking forward to good food and beverages at my CEO's house.

4.5 miles up at Monteagle this morning on tired legs- but got it done.  45 degrees and calm and it got light pretty quickly after I started.   Solid week for me with 36.7 miles.   Home now!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Thanks for starting, Tet.

Steve--Snow tunnels are timeless. I have a picture of my brother and me in snow tunnels when I was about 5 years old.

A big 4-sport day here:

1. Cycling. 38 miles done. A little chilly in the 30s at the start but in the 40s by the finish.
                2. Hockey. My Caps look terrible but are still in it after two.* Too many turnovers, not enough shooting, Ovi's timing is not back yet.
                3. Napping. My speciality; I got this one.
                4. Football. Go Pats! 

Enjoy the day.

*ETA: Boo. You can't win playing hard for 8 minutes.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good thing I didn’t read the rule book. 3.1 actual running 🏃 miles this morning. Slow as molasses, but nothing hurts and I didn’t stop. The dog walking is keeping a small semblance of fitness, I guess.

DW is making jambalaya to take to our viewing party. I’m about to make cauliflower crack, which is cauliflower pieces breaded and baked, then tossed in in a nice spicy bbq sauce. Very tasty.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

Just like Tramps- a big sports day and much napping. Early morning we walked a couple of miles to watch the Sarasota Music Half Marathon. Now watching the Bruins- Capital game. Marj rented a bike. In 2 hours we’re off to a Super Bowl viewing party with hometown friends (May the best team win).

mrrun

(((Tramps)))

we're bringing key lime pie, cape cod chips and a variety of bowls and plates.  all of us are in rentals, so we're pooling our resources!

Marathon Maniac #957

cauliflower crack, which is cauliflower pieces breaded and baked, then tossed in in a nice spicy bbq sauce. Very tasty.

Recipe, please?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Am I the only one not interested in watching the Super Bowl?

I met some friends for a trail run at White Ranch park - the conditions were warmer than yesterday and the snow was more slippery and slushy, but running in a tee shirt and skirt in the 50 degree sunshine was pretty nice!  We were shooting for 10 miles but only ended up with 7.6.  It felt like a 10 mile effort, though!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

bioguy

I was unaware of the Super Bowl Rule.  Drove about 1/5 hours away to run my first trail race- a very popular half marathon/10K that sells out in less than 10 hours. I did the half and found it incredibly challenging. Friday's snow was still on the ground and I didn't have trail shoes (in my defense the race website said it was a gentle trail suitable for beginners). Every step I took it seemed as if I was slipping just a tad which made it more tiring. I managed to fall on ice twice in less than 30 seconds but no real harm done. As I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland my training is on roads basically flat as a pancake- the trail had steep hills.....Boy do I feel old and weak. I need to run hills and do some weights. Mrs Bio and I drove a bit further and had a lovely day with daughter and grandchildren.

Tailwinds!

Joe618

Hi all!   Naaaaaah, that can't be a rule...especially when the day is so nice.

Bio, interesting you've not run a trail race before!!  They are fun and a totally different experience than road running.   Good for you!!!

Holly, way to persevere and be creative to get in the 13!!!

Busy day here...went to early church, then drove my DW to C-R's neck of the woods to put her on an airplane to fly to MikeE's neck of the woods to spend the week with our DS#2 and DDIL and their two little girls (age almost 4 and 4 months) while DS#2 goes on a week long business trip.   I have photos back already of the DW with the little one...great fun.

Got home around 2:30 and went out for the week's prescribed long run...10 miles at 9:53/mile.   Lovely day, with sun and 54F, so nice to go out in a LS T shirt and shorts and sunglasses.  I mean REALLY nice today fell on the day for a long run.  Run went well, finished the ten with a 9:22/mile pace.  Felt like I was holding myself back quite a bit, for most of the run.   Would welcome Mike's perspective on this...the Hansons, in their writings, say beating the target pace like that is not good...I did it on my Tempo run Thursday and again on the LR today.   Your experience? 

The Super Bowl is a social event, for sure.   KSA, just don't spill any cheese on your CEO's carpet, OK??   I'm going to some friends who are long-time, die hard Rams fans, from the days they were in LA, to St Louis and back to LA.   Should be fun...nice people.   They had a very funny quip on their invite..."Pats fans are welcome, of course...we'll set up the radio in the garage and we have carpet squares you can sit on out there."  Very clever.    Told we could wear the shirts of our favorite football team, so I have donned my Manchester City jersey. 

Have a greta week all!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Gotta make this quick.  I broke the rule and ran 6 miles.

Okay--gotta go--the game is starting soon.  See ya!